Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

this is a real good lookin' anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

sooo, the motorcycle scenes. i'm curious what the significance behind them are. up until he fights and loses to yuri, he seems to be riding his motorcycle in a half-suicidal fashion, like he doesn't care if he dies. after the fight with yuri, when he finally has a goal, he stops short of launching himself off a cliff again. am i reading this correctly? is this just looping back into how he's been living his life so far? risking his life to feel alive, up until his fight with yuri, where the goal to fight him again becomes his life?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

joe

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

sooo, the motorcycle scenes. i'm curious what the significance behind them are. up until he fights and loses to yuri, he seems to be riding his motorcycle in a half-suicidal fashion, like he doesn't care if he dies. after the fight with yuri, when he finally has a goal, he stops short of launching himself off a cliff again. am i reading this correctly? is this just looping back into how he's been living his life so far? risking his life to feel alive, up until his fight with yuri, where the goal to fight him again becomes his life?

Repeatedly crashing his motorbike for the kicks/to vent his frustration after losing fights does seem to be his hobby, yes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darth Walrus posted:

Repeatedly crashing his motorbike for the kicks/to vent his frustration after losing fights does seem to be his hobby, yes.

just curious if there's any deeper meaning to it. if he just wanted to wreck his bike, there's easier ways to do that without putting himself at huge risk, and every time he's riding it he pretty much is riding it about as dangerously as possible

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

just curious if there's any deeper meaning to it. if he just wanted to wreck his bike, there's easier ways to do that without putting himself at huge risk, and every time he's riding it he pretty much is riding it about as dangerously as possible

Well, he clearly doesn’t give a poo poo about his life. It’s not exactly suicidal behaviour, because he’s getting something else out of it, but it’s in the same general ballpark.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I interpreted it as him being a thrill seeker with his actual, desired outlet being robbed from him. So he's doing something else that's incredibly dangerous in its place.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
idk it looked to me like he was just a careless rider who kept daydreaming about other poo poo and not paying attention to his surroundings.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
In the Joe/JOE/joe scene, I thought it was funny that someone could just be named 'joe'. At the time it seemed like they were choosing his ring name, but weren't they forging his citizenship record?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, he clearly doesn’t give a poo poo about his life. It’s not exactly suicidal behaviour, because he’s getting something else out of it, but it’s in the same general ballpark.

So self-destructive, basically. Yeah that fits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

In the Joe/JOE/joe scene, I thought it was funny that someone could just be named 'joe'. At the time it seemed like they were choosing his ring name, but weren't they forging his citizenship record?

Yep.

Apparently, you don't need a last name.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Chas McGill posted:

#2, it doesn't even have a firstlast name, it JUST SAYS MCLOVINJOE!
What? One name? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

joe...

RME
Feb 20, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Joe Ashitano

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like A lovely No-Joe

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

More like A lovely No-Joe

No.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

joe

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Go

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mojo Joe Joe?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If you finish the Joe, you make some mo'! (50 years later)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This show owns a lot

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Pretty fuckin good anime

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
god drat I'm glad I waited until episode 2 was out to watch this, waiting a week for the fight after all the hype buildup in ep 1 would have been hell.

The ost is amazing in this

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They’re totally going to have Joe do his first few fights without a Gear to build hype, aren’t they?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

They’re totally going to have Joe do his first few fights without a Gear to build hype, aren’t they?

I'm waiting for the reveal that Joe's current gear doesn't actually do anything, he just has to wear gear to be able to box.

We saw the battery was steaming hot against Ghetto though, so maybe nix that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that Joe's current gear doesn't actually do anything, he just has to wear gear to be able to box.

We saw the battery was steaming hot though, so nix that.

He also used it as armour, which is probably pretty useful.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's probably still super garbage and he really is all about skill.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ranzear posted:

It's probably still super garbage and he really is all about skill.

this is something they've explicitly made a point of, yeah, his Gear is basically frankensteined from a bunch of random junk

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

He's gonna get better gear, and then the last fight before Yuri it breaks and he has to fight him with his old gear and there's this cool sentimental exchange with Nanbu because Joe didn't think he'd have kept it. :hai:

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

this show owns so much. JOEEEEEEEE

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
God I hope these kids don't overstay their welcome because it would be a shame if the show bent backward just to fit their antics.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that kinda worries me too

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
EDIT: Wrong thread

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The kids rule.

I really appreciate the busywork animation they had for the big dialogue scene in the car travel, it's super small but having the old lady cross the street and the apple seller does a lot to break up what is normally a really boring walk and talk bit for expositions sake.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah these kids are alright.

Nanbu being a decent trainer I kinda didn't expect. Tossing the alcohol is a nice touch on his progression.

Joe reflexively blocking against metal fists and breaking the new gear in a matter of seconds is just :allears:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really loved the twist that the prototype armor was exactly that - a prototype. It wasn't built for battle and just fell apart immediately, and Joe had to win on his own strength, and that was excellent.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

gnome7 posted:

the prototype armor was exactly that - a prototype. It wasn't built for battle and just fell apart immediately

I thought it was pretty clear that Potemkin's metal fists cesti facefuckerupperers gauntlets(?) instead of boxing gloves broke it.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 21, 2018

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well yeah those certainly helped, but if it wasn't sturdy enough to take 2 hits, it wasn't going to last a full fight even with boxing gloves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It wasn't just without gloves, it was with attachments explicitly designed to crush poo poo. Like a step up from brass knuckles, combined with gear basically built for pure strength (they said that his gear was actually more powerful than the top end gear that the kids stole, it was just lacking in pretty much every other aspect). I don't think that the top end gear crumpling was because it was poorly made or any fault of its design, it was because that guy had his gear modified from "nonlethal combat sport equipment" to "what I use when the boss wants me to break both your legs in one punch"

• Locked thread