Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A lot of 90s albums inexplicably sound like poo poo even when the songs are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but in the case of MCIS it's following an album with almost perfect production and was produced by someone extremely talented so the fact that "Zero" sounds great and has bite but then "XYU" has that flat muddy guitar tone makes me think that something went wrong somewhere.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Mellon Collie has some of the most inexplicably bad mixing I've ever heard

Difference between Butch Vig and Flood, I suppose?

I never really felt like MCIS sounded bad either, though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The mix is overall fine, if a little idiosyncratic (the guitars are generally mixed very loud, but that's a style choice). It's the mastering that's kind of hosed up, with the low frequencies really blown out. I think they wanted it to sound loud at any volume like the Zwan album, but they accomplished that by redlining the bass frequencies instead of over compressing the whole thing like with MSotS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

Edit: I just went looking for the video for Zero and it appears William had it scrubbed from YouTube? What the heck is the story there? That video owns

precision fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 13, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really like the sound on Melon Collie :(

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

Edit: I just went looking for the video for Zero and it appears William had it scrubbed from YouTube? What the heck is the story there? That video owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wk7C64kaP4

This one? I literally went to YouTube and typed "Pumpkins Zero"?

Also yeah I like the raw and almost demo quality of MCIS. It's part of the charm to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm convinced some of the songs (xyu, jellybelly, probably gently caress you, where boys, etc) sound the way they do because they were recorded with the whole band playing live in the room so there's a lot less control over how things like the guitars sound. I know jellybelly has a ridiculous number of overdubs so that's going to cover up a lot of that. Zero is a song on the other hand where every element was really meticulously designed, especially the guitars. There are several 12 string acoustic guitars run directly into the board and distorted with the board's preamp, and some of the guitars were run through a synthesizer for a kind of wave washing over you filter.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Yikes we're not going to agree at all there. That's one of my favorite tracks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I didn't want to call that out but :same:

The only problem with that song is that the hi hats sounded kind of grating, and I think the rerelease fixed that mostly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

What in the flaming hell are you talking about? :psyduck:

Yeah, I know, opinions and all that, but drat, man.... that's cold.

EDIT: I mean, if we're talking bad pumpkins songs, I'd take one of the lesser tracks from Monuments or Zeitgeist... and if we're talking classic Pumpkins, my vote has to go to The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete. I just.... I just don't get it.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Chiming in to say I have always loved "Here Is No Why". It's one of those songs where I actually remember the first time I heard it, because the open guitar riff was so unique.

If you're going to hate on something from MCIS... please choose "Take Me Down".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Chiming in to say I have always loved "Here Is No Why". It's one of those songs where I actually remember the first time I heard it, because the open guitar riff was so unique.

If you're going to hate on something from MCIS... please choose "Take Me Down".

See, I can sort of agree with that, but I'd take off Lily, first. It's an ok song, I don't dislike it, but I feel like it doesn't fit into MCIS because it's a goofy, jokey song about him being a creep, and even the name Lily is from his cat.

I think it would've fit better on one of the singles. Switch it out for Set the Ray to Jerry :colbert:

EDIT: Also, you might not have been able to find Zero on youtube if you're on mobile. Bands do that sometimes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd probably swap out Cupid De Locke for StRtJ, maybe Lily or We Only Come Out At Night for Medellia or the barbershop version of Jupiter's Lament? Cherry would probably fit in well on the second disk somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Also, you might not have been able to find Zero on youtube if you're on mobile. Bands do that sometimes.

I searched after posting that and found a few reddit threads asking where the video went too, with the only theory being that the family of the guy in it who died wanted it removed

We're talking about the video where they're all gothy and playing in like an 18th century orgy right

Also oh yeah for sure there are way worse Pumpkins songs than here is no why after MCIS. Honestly mentally I just sort of file everything after MCIS as "the worse part of their career". There are also worse songs on the album for sure.

Edit: okay weird I just looked for Zero again and it's there but not available in my country (America)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Here Is No Why is kind of a filler-type track but I've always loved it. Inspired riffage. That's my story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah exactly. Every single song on Gish and SD is in some way memorable, exciting, loving awesome, or heartbreaking. MCIS was stuffed with b-sides and they're not all on one disc so listening to it is an exercise in frustration.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Here Is No Why is good, Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete is very good, post MCIS is good (Adore is easily as good as MCIS hth).

I might be (definitely am) a little biased but I honestly think Zeitgeist was weak with a few standout tracks, Monuments is boring as gently caress and the rest is solid to amazing.

Also apparently the album leaked and is good. I'm waiting for the official release cause I'm too lazy to find it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I can't wait for the Machina I and II remasters, especially Machina II. The vinyl rips are all questionable at best IIRC. Some of them added all kinds of stupid EQ and filters to try and make the vinyl sound "better", but I think they were just compensating for lovely equipment or lovely ripping techniques in the first place. I think the "good" copy I have is from Q101 but even still I'd really like to hear the originals. The few tracks that made it onto Rotten Apples sound so much better than the vinyl rips.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adore is a far better album than MCIS but nothing on it hits the high notes of absurd camp that MCIS has so I'd say it evens out

Oceania was dece, Zeitgeist was abysmal, Machina 2 is great

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zeitgeist has Neverlost which might just qualify as the band's most underrated song.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tale of Dusty n Pistol Pete is gorgeous. His solo career should have been riffing on it and stuff like To Sheila.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would have been happy if that extremely unforgettable solo LP had just been more tracks like "apples + oranjes." I love that drat song.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Got my vinyl of Shiny Vol. 1 in the mail today. I don't have anything to listen to it with yet, so I just finished listening to the digital copy.

It's... okay. The singles are definitely the standout bits, despite their flaws. The rest feels rather half baked. Not bad, but I feel like this could have been far better with a) more time and b) a better producer.

Billy's voice does not and never will belong in front of everything else. Dear god no.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This obnoxious album title is cracking me the gently caress up lmao

Let's see how the album is...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

obnoxious album title

it's honestly tame compared to the whole teargarden by kaleidyscope concept

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
It's on Spotify y'all

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

It's... okay. The singles are definitely the standout bits, despite their flaws. The rest feels rather half baked. Not bad, but I feel like this could have been far better with a) more time and b) a better producer.
Pretty much this, although I think Marchin' On is better than all the singles and more closely captures the energy of old Pumpkins.

Mostly it feels like any number of bands could have put out some of these songs, though. Like for example: Silversun Pickups, who can oftentimes straight up sound like a Smashing Pumpkins tribute band, have put out songs like these but more interesting. Listening to this, I found myself wishing I was listening to a new Silversun Pickups album instead.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile I think With Sympathy is my favorite non-single. Marchin' On is great, but With Sympathy has a nice Try, Try, Try vibe to it and I love that song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Amazon's preorder is still not downloading, loving awesome. So glad I preordered this instead of just buying and downloading it this morning.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's on Spotify too, if that is of any use.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm hoping it shows up, even briefly, on youtube (without a subscription) because that's not blocked at work, whereas music streaming sites are :negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm hoping it shows up, even briefly, on youtube (without a subscription) because that's not blocked at work, whereas music streaming sites are :negative:

It is, official uploads even. They're not in a playlist officially, but people have created ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mostly it feels like any number of bands could have put out some of these songs, though. Like for example: Silversun Pickups, who can oftentimes straight up sound like a Smashing Pumpkins tribute band, have put out songs like these but more interesting. Listening to this, I found myself wishing I was listening to a new Silversun Pickups album instead.

"Lazy Eye" is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm really digging the back half (Amazon support finally got it working), but I think alienation is too much for me. I think if they took it gothier like "isolation" it might work better? I dig the pads in the beginning though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Listened to the album. Weakest track is Alienation for sure but it's a decent song. Pretty happy with every other track too. Marchin' On sounds like they lifted it from MCIS sessions. Very good album in my opinion. Super solid. Not SD or MCIS or Adore or anything but I know I'll be listening to this a lot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alienation reminds me of Toto. Marchin' On whips. I think overall these songs remind me a lot of Machina 2.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I can safely say I like this more than any other post 2000 album. It'll definitely be in rotation for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Marchin' On whips. I think overall these songs remind me a lot of Machina 2.

Holy poo poo, this is very true.

Machina 3 which would've been a much more concise album title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

I can safely say I like this more than any other post 2000 album. It'll definitely be in rotation for me.
I still prefer Zeitgeist over this any day v:shobon:v