Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Cyr was a dud for me, just lazy songwriting and production with non interesting melodies.

Colour of Love seems like a step in the right direction, interested in whatelse will come out from the album.

Also I think Billy needs a producer that actually does something, and Rick Rubin seems very "Hands-Off" in his production style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

The last time I heard a Billy Corgan song that made me go "He's still got it" was Wildflower.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

"Confessions Of A Dopamine Addict" has so far been the best song I've heard out of the singles they've released. I like the production, but I was a fan of TheFutureEmbrace.

I always take any singles put out ahead of the album with a grain of salt, they're usually the worst choices by the record company.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

informing the thread I am extremely back on my Zwan bullshit

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

By that do you mean about how Zwan was really good? Because Zwan was really good.

Yeah, like, going back and listening to all the live shows and bootlegs I can find and just wishing we got way more music. Obviously if we haven't gotten the Machina boxset, I don't have a prayer for the Zwan re-issue...

It's a real goddamn shame Billy clearly hated being on stage with them towards the end, because the live arrangements of Mary Star Of The Sea from June 2003 are immaculate.

That fact I like Zwan actually got me an audition in a band as a bass player. I'm still in that band 15 years (...and half my life) later.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

One of my great musical ambitions is to finally listen to all this Zwan material that people in this thread love and hope it clicks with me. I have the acoustic show from France and a bootleg called "Going to Riverview" which appears to have almost everything. Assuming I ever find myself not sitting in a house full of screaming children and can listen to music, will those be a good starting point?

Taking a look at that bootleg, that's pretty comprehensive! Unfortunately looks like all the links I can find are dead.

I think it might be worth it to seek out some full gig bootlegs to get a real feel for how those songs sounded live against the MSOTS mixes. The more I listen to those...did Billy just mix Pajo out? I can pick out Matt's parts easily, but Pajo's only pop up for texture occasionally when they're integral to the tune (See the intro for MSOTS when he's playing that odd-meter guitar part)

Start with the Glass House bootlegs from 2001, those are the first gigs but there's a lot of great material. I'm not actually a huge fan of the "Djali Zwan" acoustic gigs, but I think that might be because there's a ton of chatter in the boots out there.

The gig from "The Blue Note" in 2002 I think is the first 5 person lineup gig and it was a warmup, that's a really good one too. Some of the songs from MSOTS there and it's interesting to hear them more or less done, but there's a couple that are played like, 3 or 4 times and never played again, ever (like To Wonder, To Suffer)

There was a bootleg called "Live From The Hideout" that was on the official Zwan site for a little bit which was Billy, Matt and David basically doing open mic nights there, that's worth tracking down again for some never released Billy stuff, I especially liked "Consumed", "Diamonds" (which if you pay close attention to, you'll notice the he took the guitar part from the bridge in To Wonder, To Suffer and used it in that song's bridge...) and it's worth it just to hear the version of "A New Poetry" with just a pump organ, but I see most of those tracks are on that bootleg.

There's a lot of video out there from the European summer festivals in 2003 right before they broke up. Those are kinda the same mostly set wise, but it's really funny to see this dichotomy of Billy clearly not having a good time (one of the ones I saw had some bickering between Billy and Matt being picked up in the mics over...something, I think an iffy backing vocal) but having this incredibly tight band performing two 10+ minute epics in the middle of a 50 minute festival slot.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nah, I can really pick out Pajo's noodling, like the intro to Ride A Black Swan. I always think his stuff sounds like something someone did on a sequencer.

Helllllllllllllllllllllll yeah

Just realized I don't have a lossless copy of the album, let me change that and relisten on some good headphones

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

How is everyone not freaking out that the new repackage Machine album (again, not the box set, just the ALBUM) is 55 SONGS??!?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Billy had that blog about 15 years ago and made some allusions to dabbling in stuff. The band definitely took acid and other psychedelics in the early days, Billy made reference to taking downers or mushrooms when making Adore to unwind and I believe he also said he was taking a lot of ecstacy to cope with a tour, but I can't remember if it was the MCIS tour or the Adore tour.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah from everything I've read this is gonna be a complete re-working from the multitracks. Remixed, remastered, new track list.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I'm pumped for the Machina remix but man the mix on "Wound" is just perfect

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Zero somehow became a protagonist for Machina, but I'm wondering if the sheer amount of mushrooms, downers and ecstacy he did between 97 and 98 just made him retcon MCIS for no reason.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Because for some reason have dedicated brain space to this, I found the livejournal entry where Billy talks about the making of Adore. Seems like after recording they'd eat some shrooms or pop some pills and chill in a hot-tub.

https://billycorgan.livejournal.com/12575.html

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

also I heard "Being Beige" out of context for the first time in years and you know what? That's a good song. Very possible it's the only good one on "Monuments", but a good song none-the-less

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's James and there are many many different parts overdubbed on top of each other. It's possible that some of those parts also involve a harmonizer tuned at a fifth but that could just be dubbing too.

I don't know about how many overdubs there are but it sounds like James rocking the foot pedal on the Whammy harmonizing so it's constantly going back and forth between two intervals, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what those intervals are.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Mary Halvorson is loving amazing

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Still waiting for that Machina boxset...

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Honestly I'm guessing it's just logistics and legal teams - since Machina II was released independently I'm guessing it wasn't as clean of a release as the Virgin releases since they need to bundle them together into one unit.

He did say in an IG livestream a few months ago it was gonna be released on the Sumerian Records label which seems to have a lot of venture capital thrown it's way.

I'm optimistic and patient for this, but I will acknowledge it's been a LONG time. And this is coming from someone more excited about the Zwan boxset than the Machina boxset!

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 19, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Meatbaaaaall
I have taken my sub
Out to eat, and season thee

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Let me serve the sub to you my looooooooooove

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Meatballs
Sub rolls
Toasted for the
Zuzu house
Eating
Vegan today

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I need a saaaaaaandwich, saaaaaaaandwich

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

that loving rules and you should get it framed

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Machina absolutely has the best artwork of any Pumpkins release. And does anyone remember the *smell* of the CD booklet? It smelled like wildflowers.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Billy's said the re-release will have new art by a different artist for some reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm guessing. It's a shame.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Becoming a dad was really the best thing for him mentally in the last decade

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

B0lly's interview with BEATO is out, gets fairly in-depth for recording and differences in production technique - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfkxHcqWKI

The vocals for 1979 were done with Billy sitting in front of the mixing board with a Shure SM7 with the monitors blasting, no headphones

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

We threw a birthday party for Mary Star of The Sea!

My wife did the cake decorating while I "supervised" as we listened to the album

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 29, 2023

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Kingo Ligma posted:

Send it to him I dare you

I DM'd the Pumpkins instagram account soooooo we'll see what happens.

I'm preparing for a snarky "Some guy made a Zwan cake! Don't quit your day job" remark on the podcast next week if he does see it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Maybe I'm just naive but it seems like it's all done but the record company is dragging its feet, and I kinda get it? Adore at least went platinum, I think Machine baaaaaarely went gold that first year. Fro. Their perspective doesn't seem like a lot of units would be shifted.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I remember watching that Siddhartha livestream and seeing b0llys butt crack

E: re-reading the Vice article and how much do you wanna bet the barista they keep talking about is Chloe

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gonna eat a ton of edibles at some point this weekend and listen to Atum

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I... I think Atum is good.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Billy originally submitted Tear for that soundtrack, when that was rejected wanting a more "rock" sound he submitted demos fire songs labeled "batman 1" and "batman 2" for those two tracks.

Fine, I'll be "that guy". Wasn't Tear originally submitted for Lost Highway but Lynch didn't dig it, so b0lly submitted "Eye"?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Wait are people unhappy about this???

Perfect is fuckin perfect and I will die on this hill :colbert:

Gonna change my avatar to the cover of Adore because apparently I am the Adore Lover in these here parts.

Adore loving rules, and it might be my second favorite Pumpkins record

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

Okay now explain Destination Unknown to me because it's actually bizarrely catchy but all I can picture is Billy sweating profusely and gurning from too much ecstasy while nakedly dancing around Sadlands as concerned neighbors contemplate making a noise complaint because it's 4am and he's had the song on repeat for several hours and just. won't. stop. but he bought a vintage Moog (with cash) and he finally feels cute.

It's a Missing Persons cover

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh yeah they're was that moment right after the Mellon collie sessions where he got really really into ring modulators.

Adore has so many fuckin' ring modulators

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Bought tickets to the NH gig. Haven't seen them since late 2008.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

The Q101 rip on the internet archive is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I will say Jeff is just like us and has the encyclopedic superfan knowledge. Wouldn't you try to play with your favorite band as long as possible?