Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I was going to wait to post a build thread until it was mostly done but...

https://jalopnik.com/this-1968-volkswagen-fastback-is-actually-a-miata-1825036646

I'm on vacation at the moment but I'll be back to blow this project thread up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ever since I had to give up my LS1 Impreza wagon project I've been going crazy. After going around and around and changing my mind 20 loving times I went with this madness. The project that I was all set to do before this was a tube frame chassis, Miata suspension, GM or Ford I4 turbo driveline in an MGB GT but it was just a bit too much to take on in my back yard and I really want a daily driver. Original engine plan was the Miata's supercharged 1.8 but that quickly changed to a Honda J32A2, but that had to change because after noticing that the steering rack is moved rearward a bit in the swap kit I decided not to do it as that would have made my already injured Ackermann angles worse. The Ecotec swap is cheap and will have about 30 more HP and 40 more TQ than my M45'd 1.8. It can also be easily upgraded to "stupid" later if I want.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

bolind posted:

That's awesome.

Joe Mama, I've bought a few plat upgrades and I'm handing them out to eligible AIers. Send me an email at alphageek.dk@gmail.com if you'd like one.

I would respond in the affirmative, sir.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That just makes me want to see the project development more. So either post updates or don't because I've got blue balls already.

I'm a tease, I get off on it. I was going to wait to do a thread so that I could drop a lot at a time instead of doing a slow trickle that bores people and makes them wade through endless posts but Jalopnik forced my hand, had to be done. Right now I'm working on constructing custom Short/Long arm type hood hinges. I'll get pics up eventually. Speaking of that, I can't seem to make Photobucket display pics properly in here using proper codes and links. Is it me or them?

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 7, 2018

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, I figured the side to side measurement was going to be the most critical part. I was tempted for about 3 seconds to widen an MGB a couple inches but gently caress that, I ain't no body work expert. My work is basically all under the skin and is ugly but functional. Plus, the MGB's proportions (nose to body to butt) are a bit wonky and I think I had figured that the Miata would have to be stretched in the front instead of the middle, which is why previous plan was to do a tube frame MGB GT.

Image host talk: I agree. Imgur it will be.

bolind: Gracias mi amigo! I'm going to donate to the robot spine fund anyway on top of it.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2018

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
See the new thread. Consider this one closed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854227

• Locked thread