Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatis
Jun 6, 2012
looking forward to buffalo not picking 1st again because the league is dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JawKnee posted:

but i thought jack eichel said he was going to be better than connor

he's still really really good

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I took a look at the draft lottery simulator for the first time this year and Edmonton won the first sim and i'm never touching that button again

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The Bills got this decade's worst week in Buffalo sports off to a predictably strong start. Now for the draft lottery to kill any remaining vestiges of hope

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JawKnee posted:

and it would be kind of funny if Buffalo picked 2nd again

No that would be the opposite of funny

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I am very happy!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GLORIOUS CITY OF BUFFALO

THEIR DOWNTOWN CONSISTS OF AN NHL RINK, SOME YOUTH RINKS, AN OUTDOOR RINK WITH CURLING, AND A TIM HORTONS

edit: gently caress IM AN IDIOT

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
please do not "well, actually" the great city of Buffalo, NY

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

eXXon posted:

I do find it hilarious that a few Sabres fans are going "loving finally" as if getting Eichel at #2 counts for nothing.

we don't win at anything ok

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

sedative posted:

Good afternoon Sens fans

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/990640616529784834

We narrowly avoided Rasmus Dahlin, Blackhawk

the balls made the right choice

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There's still hope they pass over Dubas and Hunter and bring in some other old and bad guy

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The team president of both the Bills and Sabres resigned this afternoon, and by "resigned" I mean he was apparently the subject of an internal investigation regarding inappropriate sexual relationships with female staffers and was caught lying about stuff.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/01/russ-brandon-resigns-from-bills-sabres-after-internal-investigation/

He's been a guy that's been hated by Buffalo fans for a really long time and the subject of tons of different organizational conspiracy theories about how he's the real person making decisions behind the scene. Lots of people will be really happy to see him gone, but the circumstances are really lovely. What a creep

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/992851075886657538

lol

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

iospace posted:

Hi Boston

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
it's what they deserve for 05/06

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
no one make the joke please

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Thufir posted:

Wild hired Paul Fenton from Nashville to be GM I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
This also means that San Jose's 2nd round pick they traded to Buffalo turns into a lottery-protected 1st (that just becomes a nonconditional 1st the year after)

edit: i didn't see that guys post, but mine is better

whatis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 23, 2018

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/999306756932202496

Asplund doesn't have first line potential, but he should be a reliable 2nd/3rd line contributor. I'm excited to see him in NA

Also, because I don't think this got posted last week:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/996488177413181446

Undrafted shot in the dark that's played really well in the SHL the last few years

edit: With Olofsson signing a few weeks back and the Sabres winning the Dahlin lottery, they're adding a ton of Swedes this offseason

whatis fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 23, 2018

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I talked about Buffalo bringing in a lot of Swedes this off season, and then this rumor pops up.

https://twitter.com/aalexnil/status/999262030627524608

This would be an interesting move. Bring in the Swedish guy as a Housley assistant to 1) assist in acclimating all of the new Swedish players, and 2) put a little bit of internal pressure on Housley to not be a bad coach

I don't know really anything about this guy though

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't SJ re-signing Kane also improve the draft pick they gave up, like a 2nd instead of a 3rd or somesuch?

The pick becomes a lottery-protected 1st in 2019. If the Sharks miss the playoffs, it becomes an unprotected 1st in 2020

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I think it'd be weird to bring him in as an assistant -- it would be like the Yeo/Hitch situation with everyone just waiting for Housley to get fired.

honestly, I would be ok with this

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Dreger made a comment this morning on Buffalo radio that the Sharks have a lot of money to spend and plan to take a serious run at Tavares, and that spending the money to bring in/keep another "big" player might help convince him that they're serious about contending and winning right now. But Dreger is also an idiot, so who knows

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Hmmm let's try to lure the player who has toiled on a team that has mismanaged its assets by signing Evander Kane to a 7X7 deal with a NTC.

ya, it owns

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo recently acquired the Sharks 1st round pick and there's a lot of really good local hot dog brands in western New York. Sounds like a pretty solid basis for a trade

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Pronman also tends to grade defensemen lower than forwards due to increased uncertainty in their development. The fact that he has Dahlin as high as he does in this list surprises me a little, but in a good way

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

However, him being in charge of player development and being around all these young players in a position of power for so long has worrying implications

Yeah...hoping this is a relatively isolated thing and not the tip of the iceberg, but it doesn't seem realistic given the severity of the alleged incident

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Buffalo should keep ROR because he's a good player. They should then bring in more good players to play around him so he doesn't have to play 25 minutes a night on a team with very few good players

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bogosian is more of a #2 in that he is an actual turd. If he's relied upon at all in anything more than a 3rd pairing capacity this upcoming season, it's a failure

There's no reason to get rid of O'Reilly right now. The team lacks forward depth like crazy, and even if they plan on slotting Mittelstadt in as the second center, they shouldn't do it right now, and O'Reilly is every bit as good at wing as he is at center. Let Eichel and O'Reilly take care of the 1st and 2nd line duties for a year or two while Mittelstadt develops, and if everything goes according to plan, then move O'Reilly to 1st or 2nd line wing.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Oh whoops I was thinking Risto was a lefty. So you've got Dahlin/Risto as a top pair, and then crickets? Guhle seems OK. I would think he and Bogosian would be the second pair if everyone is healthy. McCabe, Scandella, and Beaulieu seem like varying degrees of 3rd pair LHD and Falk is awful.

Even Ristolainen isn't particularly good...that defense is so bad and I'm a Devils fan. They'd benefit greatly from a real #1 RHD.

For the time being, Scandella can slot in alright in a 2nd pairing role, but McCabe and Beaulieu are definitely 3rd pairing at best. I'd prefer if the team found a way to get rid of both of them to promote Guhle and Nelson fulltime.

As for Risto, I'm still not ready to give up hope quite yet. He's good with the puck and on the PP, but he's been deployed horrifically his entire time in the NHL because the team hasn't had anyone else. If Dahlin is anywhere near as good as advertised, it allows them to insulate Risto a little bit more, which would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Maybe this is the year buffalo turns a corner. Maybe!

A lot of dead weight potentially comes off the books this year, and there's another 3 or 4 guys I'd like to see walk that have expiring contracts next year too. They've got promising young players lined up to take quite a few of the new spots but it will be up to management to surround them with quality role players and vets via trade/FA. It's not impossible, but the FO sat on their hands for way too long last season, and it doesn't give me much hope in them being proactive.

• Locked thread