Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A hearty welcome to:
Buffalo
Ottawa
Arizona
Montreal
Detroit
Vancouver
Chicago
Rangers
Edmonton
Islanders
Carolina
Calgary
Dallas
St Louis
Florida

THESE TEAMS COULDN'T GET PAST ROUND 1
Los Angeles Kings (Killed by: MAF Vegas)
Anaheim Ducks (Killed by: father time San Jose)
Minnesota Wild (killed by: Bad Coaching Winnipeg)
New Jersey Devils (killed by: Lack of Taylor Halls Tampa Bay)
Philadelphia Flyers (killed by: too many injuries Pittsburgh)
Colorado Avalanche (killed by: clock striking midnight Nashville)
Columbus Blue Jackets (killed by: too many OTs Washington)
Toronto Maple Leafs (killed by: Brad Marchand Boston)

ROUND 2 LOSERS:
Boston Bruins (killed by: a bad infection picked up while licking someone Tampa Bay)
San Jose Sharks (killed by: the fragment of the stick that's in the shark's mouth Vegas)
Pittsburgh Penguins (killed by: hubris Washington)
Nashville Predators (killed by: Rinne turning into a pumpkin Winnipeg)

SO CLOSE YET SO FAR (conference finals):
Winnipeg Jets (killed by: Ryan Reeves Vegas)
Tampa Bay Lightning (killed by: Climate Change Washington)

SNATCHED AWAY (Finals):
Vegas Golden Knights (Killed by: MAF Washington)

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is Ottawa's 1st rounder that's going to Colorado able to be protected before or after the lottery?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I didn't know Bergevin decided who plays what positions on the line now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zodijackylite posted:

It's pretty surprising how bad the Islanders have been, considering Snow has been very good at drafting and trading. They drafted four NHL regulars in each of 2008 and 2009, another two in 2010, and have consistently found talent in the first round. The only bust so far was Griffin Reinhart*, who was flipped for the pick that took Barzal. (*Dal Colle might be a bust, too, I'm not sure.)

Some of these trades are just incredible, though. Snow managed to get a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic after the worst year of his career, and this year definitely wasn't a bounce back year. Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, at the draft, when the other team knew Barzal was up for grabs. Strome for Eberle. A backup goalie and other spare parts for Nick Leddy. A 3rd in return for Andrey Pedan, an AHL punchman. He hasn't blown a trade since the Vanek debacle.

When you're able to go to the GM of the Oilers and go "Here, hold my beer. You just gave me a 2nd round pick for that beer", it's easy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

Piped in crowd noise is some Vince McMahon bullshit, not something a functional NHL team does.

What a fuckup that man is.

The Atlanta Falcons, an NFL team, got caught doing that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oilers are going to trade away McDavid for prospects and pics to *checks notes* the Habs, where he does terrible shortly after the trade, ultimately missing the playoffs, again. A third team, *checks notes again* the Lightning, pull off one of the pieces from the Oilers for more prospects.

Unlike Colorado, the Oilers proceed to be a lottery team, again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who was reffing tonight?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LumpyGumby posted:

I'm not. I'm proud of them. Between getting the youngest team, several first round picks, Cale Makar and Commit Timmins coming up on defense, and having a good bit of salary space, I'm pumped for the future.

Now if we could get a healthy goalie we'd be great.

Not to mention that you guys, except game 6, gave the Preds a drat good run for their money. Game 2 and Game 5 were probably peak playoff hockey without it going to OT.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, even if they get a healthy Varlamov (ha ha) and Makar decides to go pro, the roster is basically unchanged from both their success this year and being absolute garbage the year before. I think MacKinnon and Rantanen are elite players but I don't know that they replicate the success they had this year - it's really hard to do for even the best players.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in the offseason. They have a good amount of cap space, might be worth it to them to go for some forwards to help shore up the depth in the middle six like Riley Nash or JVR.

They dumped Duchene and picked up Girard, and have an extra first rounder coming up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am perfectly fine with Hall or MacK getting the Hart. Both of them carried their teams to the post-season.

Now watch they both poach enough votes from each other and Kopitar wins.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

I can't wait for Bergevin to gently caress it all up.

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

That goaltending's a little suspect but man compared to recent USA rosters it's a beauty

There is a better US goaltender but he's currently occupied, so they had to make do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/991030590852841472

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scaramouche posted:

Is more hope-before-it-is-crushed news for Vancouver, Pettersson won 3 out of 4 of the major SHL awards: best rookie, best forward, and league mvp. The one he missed was the gold helmet(?) which is voted on by the players, which means he is obviously a locker room cancer.

He'll get traded to Nashville for *checks notes* a bag of pucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi Boston

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

The Oilers systemically failed to develop any of their prospects and eventually lucked out in finding literally the only one who didn't need any development.

If Connor McDavid goes to any other team the Oilers don't even get that one Playoff series.

How long have they had their current AHL team?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AsInHowe posted:

What is going on here?

Watch the rope and where it hits.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi San Jose

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

stab posted:

Hi Pittsburgh.

Eat all of the dicks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Your attention, please.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are on the bad end of a handshake line. :stare:

Against Washington no less.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Get hosed Pittsburgh. Whoever wins the Cup now is Cool.

Agreed, even if it is the Jets (though they're last in my preference list at the moment, but that's also because the obvious).

e: actually they're 2nd last, last is the Bolts because they already have a Cup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBO4_Aw4Qg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not enough goalies in the HoF.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JoelJoel posted:

We get the post mortum on Kessel yet? He look like he was being held together with duct tape and happy pills hot dogs.

fixed that for you

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello Darkness My Old Friend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That said, if anyone believes they have a better joke "killed by" than what I have in the OP for their team, let me know. Avalanche, Kings, Bruins, and Preds are fixed though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bizarre deformity posted:

It's gonna be hilarious when Rinne wins the Vezina over Hellebuyck, and by hilarious I mean sad

You could tell towards the end of the season he was coming back to earth, given how hard it was to clinch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Clutch is real and Rinne is the opposite

Shame Matt Murray doesn't have MAF backing him up if he gets hurt again.

e: I responded as if the Pens were in the playoffs. They're not. :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Drunk Canuck posted:

We're winning the cup, babyyyy

By way of Sbisa, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/josefnewgarden/status/994959813594550272

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is so 90s it hurts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stretch Marx posted:

Dubas do the needful.

Trade Matthews to *checks notes* Carolina for the corpse of Cam Ward.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

32 is a good equilibrium anyway it feels. As for the other sports, no word on NBA but MLB is looking to add two teams, mostly so they can do away with year-round interleague.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AsInHowe posted:

How long until McDavid gets traded to a team for spare parts?

When his NTC expires.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I blame McDavid

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eXXon posted:

Actually Lou is still working for the Leafs. He just went over to get a head start on luring Tavares home where he belongs.

Worked well with Stamkos

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JoelJoel posted:

That Gourd whiff though.

I think that was entirely on Djoos obstructing Gord's stick juuuuuuuuuust long enough that the wiff happened.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, what killed the Lightning?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

paging CBJ: please list some of the petty poo poo Ohio State has done in regards to the jackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Vegas has 50 mil on the books for next year. Lets assume the cap is 80 mil. Thats 30 mil to spend

They need to resign Wild Bill, Miller, and Theodore as RFA. 10 mil combined for all 3 of them? The Ryan/EK combo is 13.5 mil. Lets say Sens eat some of that down to 10 mil. Vegas can than sign Tavares with the rest of that money. Have to let Perron and Neal walk but w/e

Tatar-Tavares-Ryan
Smith-Wild Bill-Marchessault
Tuch-Haula-???
4th line

Theodore-E.K.
McNabb-Schmidt
Miller-Engelland

Fleury

Lmao

EK is a free agent, so they don't need to worry about the EK/Ryan package deal.

• Locked thread