Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Kamuy
Geno Studio | Nanba, Hitoshi | Takagi, Noboru | Action, Adventure, Historical, Seinen | Manga | Apr 9, 2018
In Hokkaido, the far northern lands of Japan, Sugimoto survived the Russo-Japanese war of the Meiji era. Nicknamed "Sugimoto the Immortal" during the war, he now seeks the riches promised by the gold rush in hopes of saving the widowed wife of his now deceased comrade from the war. During his hunt of gold, he finds hints of a hidden stash of gold by corrupt criminals. Partnering with an Ainu girl that saves his life from the harsh climates of the north, they venture into a survival adventure to race against the criminals that seek the hidden stash.

Season 1:
PV / ANN / MAL
Watch it on Crunchyroll

Season 2:
PV

New Thread Rule: shut the gently caress up about the CG if you're only here to whine about it
S2 posts start on P6 if you're just joining us

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/983346749723918337

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Glad we finally have a thread for this.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/983366426462482432

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Okay, you lured me here. I'll watch this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm praying for them to get to fish guy

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I heard there's a bear. Is it Moe?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bow girl looks extremely cool

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eela6 posted:

I heard there's a bear. Is it Moe?

there are many bears and all are moe

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Everything Burrito posted:

there are many bears and all are moe

Excited for the aots then

The Warthog
Mar 25, 2013

Did I just do your job for you?
Digging the promo art. I'm in on this one.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought the premiere was pretty good except for bad looking CG animals

I generally don't complain about CG mechanical stuff like cars or giant robots, or even the bike pedaling scenes in Yowamushi Pedal... but bears and dogs? I have a hard time accepting that they're harder to draw than people unless you're SUPER into ~realistic~ fur texture

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Bears are pretty easy to draw in stills, but weird and hard to draw while moving.

Dogs are in fact weirdly hard to draw well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
episode is now up on CR

also yeah bears/dogs/horses always look jacked up in anime, I dunno if I'd rather have cg bears or wonky hosed up drawn ones but will revisit after watching the ep

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I really liked this. The setting, the story, and the characters are all very un-Anime. I want to draw parallels to Westerns set right after the Civil War.

I thought the bears were kind of ugly but otherthsn that I like the look of the show a lot.

I don't think I've ever seen an anime with Ainu characters before. That's kind of hosed up in retrospect. We do the same thing in US media with our native population, too.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

RIP the other Golden Kamuy anime thread I guess?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnacondaHL posted:

:ssh:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AnacondaHL posted:

I'd complain, but on the basis of the show's animation alone I think Everything Burrito can have the thread.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Eela6 posted:

I really liked this. The setting, the story, and the characters are all very un-Anime. I want to draw parallels to Westerns set right after the Civil War.

So would you say it’s a Yakisoba Western?? Apparently it’s a fairly big film category in Japan that doesn’t see much overseas publicity. Often you’ll often also see westerns set in Manchuria like the Korean “The good, the bad and the weird”.
https://youtu.be/6Tk80iXCspM

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nine of Eight posted:

So would you say it’s a Yakisoba Western?? Apparently it’s a fairly big film category in Japan that doesn’t see much overseas publicity. Often you’ll often also see westerns set in Manchuria like the Korean “The good, the bad and the weird”.
https://youtu.be/6Tk80iXCspM

That's pretty cool. I'd heard of TGTB&TW, but never realized there were Japanese westerns. I'll have to check them out; I love westerns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an anime with Ainu characters before. That's kind of hosed up in retrospect. We do the same thing in US media with our native population, too.
Nakoruru in Samurai Shodown was probably the most prominent ainu anime/game character before this. They're also a pretty big plotpoint in Shaman King. Also Aramaki (the old guy with the dr. wily hair) in ghost in the shell is of Ainu descent.

The main difference is that the 'official' population of Ainu in modern Japan is only 25,000, as opposed to the 3-5 million native americans have in the US. There's probably more, but a lot of modern Ainu have basically lost track of their cultural history, so there's no real way to make an official count. Unlike America, where full-blooded native americans are treated as outsiders, a lot of Ainu have basically been assimilated into Japanese culture. You can even see this in art itself: the word 'Kamui' is derived from Ainu religion, but there's plenty of anime that just toss that out there as a cool sounding word, like Kill la Kill.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 9, 2018

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The CGI bears kinda work in a way. I mean yeah they're hideous but since the characters dread encountering them I guess the audience should too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ok now that I've seen it, I think the cg drama is a big overreaction. They just need to work on making the cg stuff blend better with the rest of the animation. I thought Retar looked fine and he's cg too, but since he had an outline it wasn't as jarring as the bear.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man, this show looks weird. The animation on the people all looks great, and the backgrounds look all right, but you can tell they're also cutting as many corners on the things that aren't those two things as much as possible. It's actually a look I'm pretty into.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what are bears

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

what are bears
A creature from which you waste nothing of. :black101:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That bear looks insane in a way I'm kinda into.

Hopefully the team finds a way to clean that up, or at least it doesn't become a weight around the neck of this cool story

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
there are enough bears in the story I hope they do work on it and also don't end up with more weirdly out of place animals but I can appreciate wanting to err on the side of realism and not make a dopey drawn bear that looks like a giant raccoon or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stairmaster posted:

what are bears

we just don't know

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Stairmaster posted:

what are bears

Cuties.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bears are cg

cute
great

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/kerebrin/status/983389965085233152

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also golden kamuy (2018)
https://twitter.com/zippermar/status/983012757250494464

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That's one of my favorite vines, thanks for posting it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll make a bear out of you all!

Sung as this one particular Disney ditty

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

there are enough bears in the story I hope they do work on it and also don't end up with more weirdly out of place animals but I can appreciate wanting to err on the side of realism and not make a dopey drawn bear that looks like a giant raccoon or something

Yeah, agreed

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sooooo, hsubs hasnt ripped golden kamui yet, it got filled in by some arab dude, and the nyaa comments are insanely :yikes:

which sorta betrays the entire thematic point of golden kamui, but dont let that stop 4chan

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didnt make this

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

Eela6 posted:

The Dagger of Kamui also features Ainu characters in a very similar setting to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay that bear really did look laughably bad but everything else was fantastic.