Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im not into anime these days but in my younger years I liked

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 2

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Todd and Aaron's Game Awards 2019 and the fireworks jpeg gets more and more artifacted

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the space vampire count of monte cristo anime

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

The ones that were recommended to me that I thought were just garbage were Konosuba, Overlord, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online, and Darling in the Franxx (I think most people have soured on that show by now though, this was back when it was airing and hadn't finished). Those were the ones where I was completely unimpressed with everything about them and pretty repulsed by the way they're written.

I also saw Gurrenn Lagann and Death Note and I think they're not very good. I thought My Hero Academia was only decent in season one. But those aren't horrible shows or anything. Just didn't get what's supposed to make them some of the best. There was also that moment when Kemono Friends was super popular for some reason, and that show was definitely not worthwhile.

I pretty much feel the same way about most popular American TV shows, though, so it might just be me.

Hmmmm. I'm gonna try recommending The Boondocks and Big O to you. Maybe one of those'll be more your speed.

Oh wait, Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun was alright? Try giving Nichijou a shot. Maybe you just need something really dumb and funny.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 31, 2019

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Honestly I don't find Super Eyepatch Wolf to be all that worthwhile. I can't fault his passion, and I genuinely like that he often tries to come into a subject from precisely that angle with things like "why you should watch JoJo". But aside from the errors he just doesn't manage to make a lot of his visuals or audio interesting, I tend to try out whatever new video he has out and usually end up not finishing them because they look and sound just like a lengthy forum/reddit post, but with slightly more effort put into them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

the difference is fate actually has gay/bi characters just, in context. nero literally just says shes bi in fate/extra, gil has romance with both a male and female player character in fate/extra ccc, Rin is textually bi in the original VN and this is actually addressed in the narrative, Fergus outright says he's bi in FGO, so on and so forth. so saying one character is also bi in side material is pretty different from 'dumbledore is gay,' because harry potter sure didn't have multiple explicitly bi characters. Like if you don't like it just say you don't like it, don't make stuff up. I don't care if someone thinks it's lame but misinfo does actually annoy me.
Apologies if the Rin stuff turns out to be more than just an excuse for a threesome in a really gross sex scene. Haven't gotten to her bit. But that also plays into me specifying gay men. The more prominent characters who are gay/bi men in source material or history aren't shown in homosexual relationships in story. Specifically by turning someone into a woman. Like why is Ekidu femmed up, why are Leonardo and Alexander's male lover turned into women?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Apologies if the Rin stuff turns out to be more than just an excuse for a threesome in a really gross sex scene. Haven't gotten to her bit. But that also plays into me specifying gay men. The more prominent characters who are gay/bi men in source material or history aren't shown in homosexual relationships in story. Specifically by turning someone into a woman. Like why is Ekidu femmed up, why are Leonardo and Alexander's male lover turned into women?

Enkidu is made out of mud. they aren't male or female but weird stance that feminine looking people can't be men i guess??? is this a bit or something. what do you even mean with that last part..are you calling Waver a girl?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

John Murdoch posted:

Oh hey and going back to media's obsession with legacies and bloodlines, there was that weird BB epilogue they tacked onto Justice League where it turns out Terry was genetically engineered to be Batman 2 and it was dumb as gently caress.

It was actually a Justice League Unlimited epilogue but yes it is really awful and saps a lot of meaning from Bruce and Terry's relationship when you find out it's been (mostly) engineered by Cadmus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they were going for “as a bonus to you, this man you love like a father is actually your father,” which is also a pretty terrible message that undermines their relationship.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Additionally Leonardo is textually trans and not a random genderswap.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Putting together a bunch of anime gifs and not having Redline smdh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Thompsons posted:

It was actually a Justice League Unlimited epilogue but yes it is really awful and saps a lot of meaning from Bruce and Terry's relationship when you find out it's been (mostly) engineered by Cadmus.

It's weird but also visibly planned from the beginning - genetically, people with Terry's parents' hair couldn't have a kid with dark hair like his.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Putting together a bunch of anime gifs and not having Redline smdh.

Redline blows

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

Redline blows

...your socks off!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that isnt hephaestion, hephaestion's still a dude in fate and theres zero indication he and alex didnt have a romantic/sexual relationship, especially considering alexander is referred to as bi both in the text and by the authors and has some random lines where he hits on dudes (and the most he ever gets with girls is random lines of hitting on them too so its not like there's any bias in that direction)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thankfully it's easy to ignore given that it's not part of the actual series, but it's weird in how it self-negates to the point where

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think they were going for “as a bonus to you, this man you love like a father is actually your father,” which is also a pretty terrible message that undermines their relationship.
is basically all you get out of it, which weirdly feels like it writes out his actual dad as a meaningful influence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I Before E posted:

Redline blows

I've never actually seen the anime but it looks very good visually based on the trailer.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Enkidu is made out of mud. they aren't male or female but weird stance that feminine looking people can't be men i guess??? is this a bit or something. what do you even mean with that last part..are you calling Waver a girl?
No feminine looking people can be men just fine, but changing a textually male bisexual character to a feminine coded "well technically they have no gender" comes off weird. No the Alexander thing is from the horrendously boring spin off show.

Endorph posted:

that isnt hephaestion, hephaestion's still a dude in fate and theres zero indication he and alex didnt have a romantic/sexual relationship, especially considering alexander is referred to as bi both in the text and by the authors and has some random lines where he hits on dudes (and the most he ever gets with girls is random lines of hitting on them too so its not like there's any bias in that direction)
Apologies for being incorrect due to exposition I spaced on.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 1, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never actually seen the anime but it looks very good visually based on the trailer.

It's up on Youtube legally and free. Go watch it in 1080p, on the largest screen you can, and do it with headphones or a sound system with proper bass. Anything less is a disservice to your senses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Casey Finnigan posted:

I also saw Gurrenn Lagann and Death Note and I think they're not very good.

So the big problem with Trigger's shows (Darling in the Franxx, Kill la Kill, and I'm including Gurren Lagann in this) is that they start off really strong and exciting, and people get super into it and after like five episodes start telling everyone how it's the best anime ever, and because they usually have a cute and/or marketable main character with lots of gifable moments people will spam that poo poo all over the internet non-stop and the hype train builds like no tomorrow. But then, without fail, the second half of the show is a complete train wreck and the ending is such a bad disappointment that every anime youtuber that started off talking about how good it was is now making "What went wrong?" style videos about it. I'd be willing to bet their new series is going to go the same way because it's a pattern by now.

And at the risk of being even more of a anime nerd; the bigger issue with Trigger's series is that by and large they don't ever really try to say or do anything. Gurren Lagann, for example, was mostly just a collection of ideas, themes and references to and from other mecha series from the 80's and 90's. Even its visual style is owed largely to other series. Some of its most iconic moments are basically ripped straight out of something like Getter Robo: Armageddon, and as cool as the series is for introducing a new generation to mecha stuff, it kind of falls flat when the series its self has almost no actual identity or presence. It's just a tower of things borrowed from other things.

Casey Finnigan posted:

So to keep things on topic, who's an actually good anime reviewer on youtube?

She doesn't usually do anime stuff, but StrucciMovies video about Mob Psycho 100 is nice. I'm actually pretty hard pressed to think of any anime exclusive or centric youtube channels outside of someone like SuperEyepatchWolf that actually manage to make series sound appealing at all, for the most part.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's very pretty, but only the first setpiece actually works, then it goes into a bunch of time filling schtick before getting to the climactic race, which is incredibly disappointing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im not into anime these days but in my younger years I liked

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 2

:)

I liked Ideon and Bubblegum Crisis

The latter because they shoot boomers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I've said this every time anime starts getting talked about in this thread but watch Mushishi

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
for the record, i kind of liked raenir's long rambling takes on anime trash, but i personally love trash and anime so that's probably why.

If you are legit interested in Good Anime, my two go-tos are re: Zero and Love Comedy SNAFU/Oregairu, almost solely because unlike the vast majority of anime, these two works actually respect your time and care about telling a story over saving mone.

re: Zero has problems with the protagonist being a terminally online netizen so if you find that personality repellent its gonna be tough to get throw the story, but subaru is a wonderfully realized character with incredible depth and his idiosyncrasies are deliberately chosen by the author/studio.

Oregairu is unfortunately a high school anime, but its about high schoolers that are complete loving idiots like most high schoolers, and if you had an unhappy time in highschool you may find yourself empathizing with the characters to an outright grievous degree.

coincidently both these anime are based on novels, and the authors of these works deeply cared about telling a story about fully realized characters with complex emotional lives. And again, the studios that made these animes cared about your time, and did next to no stupid recap or other time-wasting (re: Zero, in fact, spent almost the entire series skipping the opening credits, the ending credits, or both just to cram everything they wanted to accomplish in an episode)

also, john boyega is apparently off contract and is on a crusade to destroy every reylo on twitter:

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1212090062147637251

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 1, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

No feminine looking people can be men just fine, but changing a textually male bisexual character to a feminine coded "well technically they have no gender" comes off weird.

Enkidu in the story appearances they've made to date generally presents as masc, so that is still preserved. But I dunno I'm not sure what's weird about interpreting Enkidu as non-binary.

A big flaming stink posted:

for the record, i kind of liked raenir's long rambling takes on anime trash, but i personally love trash and anime so that's probably why.

Thanks! I try my best!

quote:

re: Zero has problems with the protagonist being a terminally online netizen so if you find that personality repellent its gonna be tough to get throw the story, but subaru is a wonderfully realized character with incredible depth and his idiosyncrasies are deliberately chosen by the author/studio.

Honestly the thing about Subaru being terminally online I think works as a feature in that he gets horrifically killed for it over and over; Re;Zero I think does a good job at condemning the sort of entitlement people like him would have and basically beating it out of him until he becomes a better person.

If you liked Re;Zero an interesting Light Novel I picked up is JK Haru based off of Mother's basement+Tenlied suggesting it (and the usual suspects being mad about it). It really does come across as something of a feminist deconstruction of isekai, it's quite good.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 1, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime
any form of Patlabor

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

lOVE ALL YOU BASTARDS, happpy new year xxx

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New Internet Comment Etiquette on the war on saying "Happy Holidays", featuring a more-sincere-than-usual comment dunking on PragerU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otKvMM2CPUI

Speaking of dunks, Renegade Cut destroys Pete Buttigieg... by examining his long history of being a spineless corporate shill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APctFHLqexQ

Just Write breaks down why JJ Abrams's style of writing can feel exhausting and was especially not suited to finishing out the sequel trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5mLw0A8vI

And What's So Great About That looks at ... the color blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyVbdyAPkqA

(If you liked that, take a moment to revisit Kyle Kallgren's Brows Held High video on the 1993 film Blue mentioned in that video. Despite being from 2014 it still holds up pretty well, slightly cringy Channel Awesome-style comedy bits aside.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Anyway the best anime is still Assassination Classroom

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He doesn't steal it. He pays for it like a regular upstanding citizen and eats in the restaurant in full regalia.

Was it the money he stole? I could have sworn part of those events included Dracula mugging someone.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Honestly the thing about Subaru being terminally online I think works as a feature in that he gets horrifically killed for it over and over; Re;Zero I think does a good job at condemning the sort of entitlement people like him would have and basically beating it out of him until he becomes a better person.

hmm, disagree. his attitude wrt emilia is all sorts of hosed up, but his netizen antics are pretty clearly linked to his own self-loathing, and its basically a facade he puts on because he's convinced anyone who gets an unobscured glimpse into his person will recoil in disgust at his "trash" character.

it's, uh, kind of a big :mood: :smith:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I still really like Urusei Yatsura. The best episodes of that show haven't really been rivalled by anything since.

If you like old anime like that, then you could also check out Dirty Pair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah. gunsmith cats is a really rad thriller/action/drama and excellent in terms of action, muscle cars, and insanely detailed gun minutiae. I got a VHS tape of Riding Bean at a yard sale when I was a kid and thought it was the coolest drat thing I'd ever seen

it is also something I will never recommend to anyone because the sidekick character is a literal child prostitute

Pretty sure that's kept clean out of the OVA, iirc. The manga though, :yikes:.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Wow anime is pretty gross

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Anyway the best anime is still Assassination Classroom

AssClass owns

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU owns a lot yeah. I love how while it is a pretty cynical take on high school drama, the main character’s arc is growing more and more empathic to the people around him. That growth is reflected in the how the audience perceives the show as well. Characters that initially seemed as one-dimensional archetypes gain more depth and most of them end up being fairly complex.

It’s technically incomplete with a loose thread, but imo the main character’s story arc gets fulfilled and I’m okay with some stuff being open ended

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

watho posted:

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU owns a lot yeah. I love how while it is a pretty cynical take on high school drama, the main character’s arc is growing more and more empathic to the people around him. That growth is reflected in the how the audience perceives the show as well. Characters that initially seemed as one-dimensional archetypes gain more depth and most of them end up being fairly complex.

It’s technically incomplete with a loose thread, but imo the main character’s story arc gets fulfilled and I’m okay with some stuff being open ended

good news, season 3 is confirmed sometime in 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

no poo poo? gonna need to watch an anime again for the first time in years :getin:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure that's kept clean out of the OVA, iirc. The manga though, :yikes:.

I watched the first episode and I liked it. So I got curious and grabbed the first volume of the comic book.

Said character is 17. Who uses sex to find leads. Who eventually finds and hooks back up with her boyfriend who is 35. She met him when she was 13.

Whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy This would've been right up my alley if not for that whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A big flaming stink posted:

also, john boyega is apparently off contract and is on a crusade to destroy every reylo on twitter:

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1212090062147637251

good on him. he got hosed over in the last 2 movies.

https://twitter.com/HK_Sweeney/status/1212111649093623808

he is cool and good.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 1, 2020