Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

surf rock posted:

That fifth account doesn't even seem to exist anymore? Of the four active examples I see, the only one who looks like she plays into that stereotype is Amouranth. Like, I thought that it was probably a misogynistic narrative in the first place, but I also thought that there would be more evidence for it than this.

The 'tiddy streamer' stereotype ostensibly came from girls who would wear very little and do stuff like twerk on camera if they got a sub donation of a certain amount or similar, but because it's the internet that quickly turned into (or really always was) 'streamer is a woman.' That sort of thing I think has mostly gone away as Twitch would ban it pretty quickly. (Relatively speaking.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The usual suspects are starting to roll out in Dan's comments,

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1305194300678893569

"My life consists of working with in the intelligence community and deciding what people like you are capable of understanding."

Adrina Chrome is already my roller derby name, but I'm registering Youtube Klinger right now in case I decide to do a channel devoted to MASH reviews.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Adrina Chrome is already my roller derby name, but I'm registering Youtube Klinger right now in case I decide to do a channel devoted to MASH reviews.

Related, somebody in Dan's thread pointed out how hilarious the notion is of being ostensibly so concerned about child abuse and going to get your dose of 'the truth' from 8kun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Related, somebody in Dan's thread pointed out how hilarious the notion is of being ostensibly so concerned about child abuse and going to get your dose of 'the truth' from 8kun.

Haven't had a chance to watch Dan's video yet, so sorry if it's covered, but QAnon is doing well because it's so dispersed. Most of them have no idea about the real source, they just get it filtered to them through Facebook or Instagram. One goon over in the QAnon thread in D&D managed to have a little luck pulling a friend back out of the rabbit hole just by showing them screencaps of 8kun's entry page and the hot topics of the day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats loving amazing. what are vtubers?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Vocaloids but they stream instead of sing

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Dawgstar posted:

Dan's video also pointed out that for some people the hypocrisy is the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The 'tiddy streamer' stereotype ostensibly came from girls who would wear very little and do stuff like twerk on camera if they got a sub donation of a certain amount or similar, but because it's the internet that quickly turned into (or really always was) 'streamer is a woman.' That sort of thing I think has mostly gone away as Twitch would ban it pretty quickly. (Relatively speaking.)

there's definitely female streamers who use their sexuality to get views, its pretty easy to skirt twitch's rules, and heck even if you dont dance around much theres far fewer rules against talking frankly about sex or whatever, playing up that aspect for a presumably male audience.

but i also dont really think its a bad thing to do that. like if you can set an 18+ only flag or whatever (and plenty of male streamers swear up a storm and talk about loving ladies or whatever too) it's just a product people can partake in if they want it. it's not 'unfair' to anyone or anything and its not like most streams are really about the actual games anyway.

and ofc even streamers who arent doing that get accused of doing that yeah

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're streamers, but rather than having a facecam and greenscreen they use their camera to track their facial expressions and impose them onto a 3D avatar with a program. It's not a 1:1 thing, more like "detected face looks surprised, set avatar to Surprised animation state".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does twitch take a smaller cut than onlyfans?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does twitch take a smaller cut than onlyfans?

Nope. Even at the partnered level on twitch you get 75 percent of sub income (lower for normal streamers) and last I'd seen OF the creators get 80 percent.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There's a thread about them in ADTRW, if you wanted to know more

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nope. Even at the partnered level on twitch you get 75 percent of sub income (lower for normal streamers) and last I'd seen OF the creators get 80 percent.

Man, now I really can’t imagine the people with small channels who try to make a living in Twitch. I guess cup ramen tastes good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Man, now I really can’t imagine the people with small channels who try to make a living in Twitch. I guess cup ramen tastes good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at least #3 is good advice

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

is it possible to buy a $10 air mattress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The first three words of #2 ain't bad advice either, shame about the qualifier.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

First step of stream success: Have your heart explode from ramen-induced high blood pressure

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Takoluka posted:

is it possible to buy a $10 air mattress

If you want a lovely hand pump one that halfway deflates through the night yeah.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Groovelord Neato posted:

Twitch at least is somewhat less mercurial than onlyfans, which changes the rules wildly and without warning, regularly suspends people to avoid paying out, and just in general has some breathtakingly bad design, like how blocking a follower on OF (for, say, being a stalker or threatening you) requires you to refund all the money they’ve spent on your account

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cybershell is spoiling us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQspd_6ppO8

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Twitch at least is somewhat less mercurial than onlyfans, which changes the rules wildly and without warning, regularly suspends people to avoid paying out, and just in general has some breathtakingly bad design, like how blocking a follower on OF (for, say, being a stalker or threatening you) requires you to refund all the money they’ve spent on your account

onlyfans is also entering step 2 of the internet startup cycle, which is to start distancing themselves from the sex workers who made them a viable platform in the first place.

the fact that doing that would make them "patreon but with a worse reputation" doesn't really matter here

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/false_gear/status/1305339264197111809

Oh wait, what's this?

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1305542342858993669
...sure, Shaun, whatever you say... :nallears:

Cripes, that's like four videos in the span of like three days. Did he spend the last two years just making a hundred videos, and now he's going to release them every twelve hours?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll be sure to use that one in the next dub vs sub argument to rustle the jimmies of my internet enemies

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ah, the wonderful game of telephone that is people in the west talking about Japanese culture. I don't even like vtubers and this is just dumb.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

guys he's talking about actual open racists and far-right reactionaries who like Vtubers, not you, the person reading this post.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 14, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's the deal with Big Joel? He was raising concerns over height discrimination against men in dating and it reeked of incel talking points.

I've heard Joel is supposed to be alright.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I personally think the Shaun tweet is worded kinda lame and also its premise is just wrong. English translated vtuber clips is how pretty much everyone, even the lovely people, get into them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Katt posted:

What's the deal with Big Joel? He was raising concerns over height discrimination against men in dating and it reeked of incel talking points.

I've heard Joel is supposed to be alright.

I mean it does gotta suck for guys to see "don't swipe right if you're under 6 feet tall" on Tinder profiles. As a tall guy it's not a problem I have but you do see it a lot on there. Certainly it's not on the level of say Indian men and Black women being respectively least messaged per gender on OKCupid.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Augus posted:

guys he's talking about actual open racists and far-right reactionaries who like Vtubers, not you, the person reading this post.

But is there any evidence that this is happening? I mean, there are racists and reactionaries all over the internet. That tweet implies that vtuber fandoms are especially bad, which I don't think is true.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
kinda wish people who made callout posts/tweets like that could be a little more specific

like, who are the "western bigots" he is talking about?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

He’s talking about the bigots over this way: ———>

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Augus posted:

I just don't think it's applicable in this situation. For one thing, aren't English speakers who watch these vtubers usually watching them with subtitles? If the subtitles are accurate, the vast majority of the information is not gonna be lost. I don't know why it makes a difference whether you know what they're saying because you read the subtitles or because you heard the words.

Plus, generally speaking the vtuber concept deliberately puts distance between who the streamer actually is and the character that is being portrayed. Kizuna Ai has four different people who play the character on stream and they have to all consistently act as this fake girl. Whose opinions or viewpoints are being ignored here? The carefully managed puppet character that probably belongs to a vtuber group run by an entertainment company [there is still something to be said about how artificial this is]? There are plenty of independent vtubers out there, of course, but the big popular ones are far more like entertainment products than people who are just hanging out and streaming. It's not really much different from vocaloids.

Maybe you could say that reactionaries are drawn to poo poo like anime because they lack cultural context and the ability to understand the language, so they can draw whatever conclusions they want about the culture. There are certainly people like that. But frankly the worst anime fans are the same everywhere, try talking to a hardcore Japanese otaku with poo poo taste, the conversation will not likely be that different from talking to a 4chan weeaboo over here.

I still hate those creepy little awkwardly-animated vtuber character models though. Get em off my screen!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shaun loves shitposting.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I believe the context for the Shaun Tweet was one of his mutuals in the Twitter Leftist shitpost sphere talking about liking vtubers and getting a LOT of weirdo anime fash flooding her mentions with a great gnashing of teeth about "western SJW scum ruining our pure anime streams".

From a few scattered screenshots and poo poo it's apparently A Narrative amongst the likes of people with usernames like loliMussolini1488.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ypOUn6rThM

GMTK video on how including rewards in games can make people overly focus on the rewards.

I'm in two minds about it because while I like a bunch of the games mentioned (Hitman, Zachtronics) some other popular open-ended things don't interest me at all (Minecraft) or have only been appealing because of what direction they do have (Subnautica).

I'm the same way. It almost feels like the video is missing something. Like the principle described is real - I've definitely played games with skill trees where my interest in continuing to play just plummets as soon as I fill out everything 80% of the way through the game - but I feel like it's a single thread in a much larger tapestry about how mechanics are conveyed and how information is communicated in games.

I think there's a lot of overlap with the tabletop game sphere of badly written rules and failing to actually explain what your game is really about. And you've got stuff like how survival games have a hard-on for gating their individual mechanics via crafting systems vs. something like Breath of the Wild that hands you all of your core gameplay verbs as quickly as possible over the course of a short tutorial area.

Plenty of instances where "experimentation" is just a fancy way of saying "use trial and error to deduce what the developers actually wanted you to do in the first place, but felt the need to obfuscate with bullshit".

I also think there's viable blended approaches out there. Skyrim's explosive popularity could be partly attributed to it having a *sense* of freedom without actually being an endlessly deep true sandbox, but if you get truly lost and confused you have the handrail of the MQ to catch your bearings with.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 14, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bakeneko posted:

But is there any evidence that this is happening? I mean, there are racists and reactionaries all over the internet. That tweet implies that vtuber fandoms are especially bad, which I don't think is true.

It's 100% this:

SteelMentor posted:

I believe the context for the Shaun Tweet was one of his mutuals in the Twitter Leftist shitpost sphere talking about liking vtubers and getting a LOT of weirdo anime fash flooding her mentions with a great gnashing of teeth about "western SJW scum ruining our pure anime streams".

From a few scattered screenshots and poo poo it's apparently A Narrative amongst the likes of people with usernames like loliMussolini1488.

There's a meme going around talking about how Korone is pure and great and not political, because Japan doesn't care about SJWs, and Western streamers are (insert extremely bigoted poo poo here). It's the MAGA anime profile picture people doing what they always do while pretending that a grown woman with individual thought isn't behind the character.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ariong posted:

He’s talking about the bigots over this way: ———>

That's East, though!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

very strange to me that the extremely online people in this thread are apparently just now learning that fascist MAGA weebs are a vocal group that exists online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Takoluka posted:

There's a meme going around talking about how Korone is pure and great and not political, because Japan doesn't care about SJWs, and Western streamers are (insert extremely bigoted poo poo here). It's the MAGA anime profile picture people doing what they always do while pretending that a grown woman with individual thought isn't behind the character.

oh, this old chestnut from weebs lol. "I don't know how to google for this discussion in Japanese so it must not exist."
Yes, that happens for pretty much every "controversial" anime topic.