Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Marauders aren't exactly difficult, they're just not much fun to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even stuff like the nuke death where you don't technically accomplish anything still amounts to, "you died because you refused to leave a wounded warrior behind."

So yeah, definitely agree that the framing of main character deaths in CoD serves to glorify war and not do the opposite.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Of all the games out there where you could bitch about the only verbs being violent ones, he chooses Control?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

A version of Control with Disco Elysium's mechanics would certainly have value, but it would also be an entirely different game.

If you were going to cut out the combat, I'd want Control to be something more like Portal where you solve puzzles with an array of supernatural tools.

Which is... honestly probably impossible from both a design and resource perspective.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, the guy still get views, so someone out there must enjoy his output?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hbomb shaved his head and it's freakin' me out how much he looks like Jesse from Breaking Bad.

Edit: faces aren't even that similar, it's just the buzz cut and scraggly facial hair.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 3, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also i watched snow white a month ago. its pretty loving weird.

Elephants on Parade is probably the best-remembered example, but most of the earlier Disney movies had a moderate amount of weird in them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CmdrKing posted:

There is... definitely a vibe to Janeway and Seven's interactions sometimes.

But that's true of everyone's interactions with Seven, though. They made the whole drat ship horny for her.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Frankly I should delete twitter.

This really oughta be the permanent thread title.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

forget that, they did Mrs. Brisby rotten. she's a survivor through and through.

most of the rest of the list was pretty accurate though

None of them seemed to know who Mrs. Brisby was.

We old.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently he was friends with Doug from before CA. Assholes flock together.

Or, more to the point, assholes circle the wagons when called out. At a certain point, people cross a line of shittiness where your only choice is to cut ties or join them in driving everyone else away.

You might not have been a complete rear end in a top hat before that choice, but if you pick the latter path you sure as poo poo become one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/BasedDrWorm/status/1272261488569462793

It's not often I see something from a published work and think, "holy hell, I could write better than this."

"Lasers unzipping the sky," makes me uncomfortable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JustaDamnFool posted:

As someone who could probably rate as a zoomer, I do occasionally feel resenment at how much of mainstream culture is remakes of stuff (star trek/wars, ghostbusters, ect.) trying to bank off the nostalgia of people who haven't liked anything new in said series since the turn of the millenium, like we're stuck absorbing the childhood culture of people who aren't even enjoying the repeats. Its not really a coherent complaint, and blaming millenials as a generation instead of the execs who make the decsions is unfair, but it is there.

Don't worry, we're already up to the 90s, in another few years they'll be remarking stuff from the aughts, and then the teens. The nostalgia cycle is baked into consumerism, and before long they'll be pandering to you like it's going out of style.

Spoiler: if you have even an once of self-awareness, it sucks even worse to be the target of that poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It really is the cardinal example of how the “we’re all just a bunch of friends” business model is toxic bullshit.

But the early-to-mid aughts are replete with internet randoms who stumbled into success and had not a clue what to do next. Didn’t Penny Arcade manage to sell the rights to their comic two separate times before they wised up and hired a business manager?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 5, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

It amazes me that even now, people still ask Arin about reuniting with Jon.

JonTron's videos still get millions of views. While there's doubtless a fair number of people who know and simply don't care, a lot of people are genuinely ignorant. Or maybe they heard a third-hand account, something easy to brush off for those not terminally online.

The churn of the internet is such that it's genuinely hard to make poo poo stick to people unless they're constantly being horrible in front of a camera. Jon has so far had enough savvy to keep his head (mostly) down after that first big flare-up. I think the worst thing he's done since was posting that stupid Just Wanna Grill meme.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

It's a minor point in the video but y'know what, I appreciate her explicitly not being lovely and snide about Harry Potter still being important to people. That Read Another Book poo poo can be justified on occasion, but I feel like it quickly mutated into a way to attack people on the basis that they like a popular thing rather than any more credible point.

Lindsey's done videos apologizing to Stephenie Meyer and defending how it's okay to like bad pop music. She is very much pro people having and loving their personal trash media.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

zoomers hate us because they grew up in a media landscape that was constantly screaming about how awful we are and how we do nothing but eat avocado toast and kill industries, and internalized it

the boomers deflected blame by just repeatedly shouting that actually it was the millenials who broke everything, and it one hundred percent worked

lol no. The youngs always hate the olds. This is nothing new, and the mild scorn zoomers have for millennials and xers pales in comparison to their loathing of boomers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A snippet from Hbomb's patreon update for his RWBY video.

quote:

Thanks for being so patient. 'A few days' turned into a few more days because it turns out that Rooster Teeth, despite being a company founded entirely on appropriating Halo video game footage, are incredibly precious about anyone appropriating their material, in any fashion. Almost all their footage is flagged as 'blocked in all countries' and cannot be played anywhere, and all the footage that isn't blocked is automatically monetized by RT, so they get all the revenue from what little footage they allow to even exist on YouTube. And, worse, YouTube only reports 2 or 3 content ID claims at a time, so when I fix them, I find there were 3 more 'violations' waiting in the wings.

They're still making RvB too, so dem Halo assets continue doin' work for them. I know Anime is rife with pirating but blocking every scrap of footage on youtube doesn't seem like the best way to combat that, especially for a company that made its name off repurposing existing material.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlyQk_uVAI

Lindsay has a lot of Star Wars novels.

That Pratchett quote at the start is such an amazing simile. I wish he was still around.

In other news, this Hbomb RWBY video is 2:20:22. I know he's gone through hell getting it through Youtube's content review system, but I'm low-key furious he didn't make it twenty-two minutes rather than twenty.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jamie Faith posted:

Nah, Hbomb rules. I could watch him discuss the history of fonts for 2 hours and I'm sure he would find some way to make it funny and interesting.

Are you familiar with Typeset in The Future? It's a blog all about deep dives into the font and typeface aesthetic of various tentpole sci-fi films. It is incredible and serves as abject proof that any subject can be engrossing.

And I agree Hbomb is fun to watch, even when he's talking about anime nonsense. He often goes on rambling tangents, but his style and comedic timing are excellent to the point it's still fun to watch him caper about.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, but Jon Bois is the yardstick by which all other internet funny men making semi-informative videos are measured. To even be in the conversation with his like is a compliment.

I give negative fucks about sports, but his videos are always fun to watch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jim Sterling appreciates that Swery65 can say "I'm sorry," and honestly so do I.

It's refreshing to hear a creative lead simply say, "I wanted to do right by this issue, but I hosed up. I'm sorry, and I'm going to do my best to fix it."

Uhh, in regard to the trans representation issues, not the frame-rate.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas? I thought to be an isekai it had to be someone from our world going to another place?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hbomb's RWBY video is live

Clocks in at 2:27:24

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jimbot posted:

It's also super gay. Don't ever leave that part out!

I only watched the trailer so maybe I missed something, but is this a show about a shirtless firefighter doing battle with a leather-boy who is literally flaming?

That might be the least subtle thing I've ever laid eyes on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sometimes, the internet is good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1301777912576708608?s=19

Wheres the bar for 'poorly' and 'well' written? Does it even matter to the audience? Not counting the self-published works, but does any of this go through an editor? Does anyone think to ever read their own work out loud so they can hear how awkward it is? So many questions.

The quality of the editor is roughly commensurate with the quality of the work unless the writer is prepared to spend a disproportionate amount of money.

Which they usually aren't because, often, it does not matter to the audience. A lot of romance and erotic writers focus on being prolific, first and foremost. Talking like 50-60k word novels published every 2-4 weeks prolific. Even a genuinely talented writer would struggle to produce batter than garbage at that kind of output.

The readers demand their steady diet of trashy wolf-sex nonsense!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Corridor Crew's stuff. I'm here for the VFX artists react stuff, I'm not interested in 'What if Home Alone or Marvel or Space Jam were R-rated?!' :byodood:

Corridor Crew's stuff really makes me hate Youtube and how it functions. The segments where they talk shop with other people in or around their industry are fascinating, but each video is leaden with so many calls to action that there are only about 3-6 minutes of actual content in a 10m vdieo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

And I still hate that they gave the dog with the goofiest art THAT flavor text.

I was wondering which one you meant and then I saw it. Jesus.