Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't really get the weapon durability complaints in BoTW at all. I didn't like at first but you get like a hundred weapons in two seconds and they're constantly available.

Just hit enemies with them a few times and throw them because you have plenty more, and you can use them for puzzles or environmental things like lighting them on fire without worrying because there's always another one somewhere. The way people talk about it you'd think you go around the game with no weapons half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

here's the thing about this whole durability argument: i fuckin never see anyone talk about why it's actually good. any defense always comes down to 'it isn't THAT bad' or 'it sucks at first but you get used to it'.

if that's the strongest defense of a game mechanic, it is a Bad Mechanic.

It's good because it forces a player to experiment with multiple types of weapons which can have interesting environmental effects in combat, and also encourages a player to not hoard weapons in a game where many, many puzzles can be solved by thinking outside the box and using your weapons and their characteristics.

In a game with unbreakable weapons you can't so easily have a situation where you need to connect two electrical thingies and end up thinking to yourself, "hey, I have a metal spear that can do that, I'll just drop it here and leave it." Or if you're in a cold place with no protective clothing and decide to light a wooden weapon on fire to warm up, which destroys it. If the spear or staff or stick was unbreakable, you'd be forced to spend time considering whether that was worth it in terms of combat effectiveness and players who are inclined to hoard would never even try to do half the stuff you can do in the game. I doubt people would even throw their weapons for the risk of losing them.

If they had the same amount and variety of weaponry without them being breakable, inventory would be an unmanageable mess. If you reduced the amount of weapons and made sure to put these special weapons near the puzzles where you need them, you lose all of BotW's adaptability and end up just making regular video game puzzles.

The game is clearly designed around the weapons being breakable.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what a fuckin ridiculous thing to say. i grew up in the snes era and the games back then did a hell of a lot more, and a hell of a lot worse, than botw did regarding inconvenience or disempowerment. you wanna talk about patience, try sitting down and beating an old shmup some time, or super ghouls 'n ghosts. those games are the definition of patience, ESPECIALLY sg'ng, a game where if you try to go through it fast you won't get off the first fuckin level on easy.

I'm sorry dude but this post may be the most dusty old gaming fart thing I've ever seen.

Also I think it's insane to grind for weapons in BotW. I had so many all the time that I was just throwing them and throwing them. I would save one flame sword for if I had to go to a cold place or something.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 26, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my point is that saying complaints about botw's garbage durability system is just down to impatience is completely ridiculous, but by all means dismiss that point and just call me old i guess. i don't expect anything more substantial by anyone insane enough to twist themselves into pretzels to defend an absolutely shitterrible system, after all.

You can be a dusty old gaming fart even if you're 18 years old. It's an attitude. Actually, if you follow speedrunning and stuff there seem to be a whole lot of people like that.

The system works well in the context of the game. In the sequel they should give some quests that let you get one unbreakable version of each weapon type and then people would probably be satisfied.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 26, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what the gently caress is even your point? what does this have to do with the fact that calling criticisms of botw's durability system a product of 'impatience' is completely ludicrous?

you haven't addressed what i said at all, you've just hurled insults. it's like i'm back on the fuckin next gen gaming board on gamefaqs circa 2003.

What you said is that I'm insane because I twisted myself into a pretzel to defend a shitterrible system.

Do you think I'm this guy?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

If you had an SNES growing up you are literally an ancient lich covered in cobwebs, sorry you had to find out this way

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Doom Eternal is weird because the gameplay pretty much looks the same as Doom 2016 but it feels very different to play, and it takes a lot of getting used to.

I'd say the gameplay loop is too tight. You're always dealing with some form of resource, or managing a cool down, or hitting a weak point, or trying to very specifically plink a zombie only two times in the exact right way so you can glory kill them.

I think part of the problem is moving to having a specific class of fodder demons that end up being used in gameplay like health pickups. You aren't staying alive by rampaging and killing everything in sight, you're staying alive by focusing on killing the big guys and ripping open the little guys along the way.

It's still fun but different. I'm more annoyed by all the drat platforming puzzles, sometimes it feels like I'm playing awkward first person Mario

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't understand what that means and I'm kind of afraid to find out.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It's pretty silly to have that kind of attitude regarding unpopular comic book movies. You and your elite group are the only ones who can parse the depths of a DC adaptation? Just say you like the movie, there's nothing wrong with liking the movie. Doesn't have to mean the rest of the world is stupid for not liking it. Having a different read on the movie than other people doesn't mean that they misunderstood it.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 2, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

at the end of the day it's absolutely hilarious that IW managed to bamboozle the MIC into 100% full-throatedly supporting a game series that, under their watch, was essentially screaming "WAR IS REALLY loving AWFUL, DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY, YOU WILL DIE HORRIBLY BECAUSE NATIONALIST FUCKHEADS WANT TO WAG THEIR DICKS AT EACH OTHER" at the absolute top of its lungs

and all they had to do was make it look really cool and have the fig-leaf of Cpt. Price (who is, essentially, their mascot) being an unstoppable action-hero badass (who still achieves almost nothing)

All my friends in high school did end up getting totally inspired to join the military because of CoD though, so I dunno. None of them actually did join the military because of CoD though, so take that information as you will. It's the whole “there's no such thing as an anti-war film” argument.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 5, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Whoever this loving movie guy is he is nowhere near interesting or worthwhile enough for you weirdoes to spend so much time talking about him

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I had Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as a kid on GameCube, and I remember they were just not fun at all. Speaking as someone who grew up with those games, I don't even understand how you can have nostalgia for them

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't see a contradiction between "more games should have a super easy mode" and "this game does have a super easy mode, and that's good, but they should also have a mode in between."

If you think FFVII Remake is too hard on normal then the only recourse is super easy no-challenge mode which kinda sucks. If I'm playing a doom wad and it's a little too hard on UV, I don't bump it all the way down to the lowest difficulty in response.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
"Ironic" antisemitic jokes are literally indistinguishable from non-ironic antisemitic jokes. As a Jewish guy, the second you pull out some poo poo like that I am going to chalk you up as a nazi and waste no further time on you

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Do people really look at extremely blatantly antisemitic jokes like this and think it's just a bit? You don't make jokes like this without legitimately hating Jews one way or another. The "merchant's guild" thing is something I'd expect to see on the social media of a synagogue bomber.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Man, honestly, at the point where you're making jokes like that, I no longer even care if you're Jewish or not because at that point you're throwing out straight-up antisemitism. If one of my Jewish cousins made that merchant's guild joke, I'd beat their rear end.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I posted in some of the same threads as hbomberguy before he made videos, and I don't remember him doing or saying anything particularly different from any other poster at the time, so I don't really understand what kind of accusation is being made.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I've never seen the show but one of my friends who's not a big anime fan got really into Kill La Kill for about one month. Then all of a sudden he stopped watching it and told me it totally sucked and that nobody should watch it.

I still wonder what happened.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Dark Souls 2 is good but it's not better than Dark Souls 1. I don't know about 3, I've somehow got like 45 hours in it but I can't remember a drat thing about it besides that there was a fire/ice sword priest

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The Eugene guy just posts in this thread to stir poo poo and antagonize, it's not like he's gonna internalize any argument you throw at him.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Oh drat, if those two guys in Promare actually are in some kind of thing I might have to watch that. I had assumed it was fan wishful thinking like most gay media relationships are.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I got super pissed off at Sekiro while I was playing it, but by the time I beat the headless Guardian Ape fight I was more or less on board with it being one of my top From games. It's not as open-ended as the Souls games are, but once you pour (way too many) hours into getting good at deflecting, it's the perfect ninja swordsman game. I really like the posture system even if it gets a little weird with the giant bosses.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Yardbomb posted:

Baccano too.

I thought the Baccano dub had really fake New Yawk accents and it took me out of it more than just watching it in Japanese would have.

Only two dubs that I've ever liked are English Dragon Ball Z (which is the true form of DBZ because high-pitched Japanese Goku is messed up) and Cowboy Bebop. Some games have good English dubbing too like Persona 4 and Dragon Quest XI. There's also a pretty small talent pool for English dub voice actors, and it makes things distracting to hear the same voices over and over.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
When I watch subbed stuff I honestly sometimes forget that it's subbed. I never found the reading to be a big inconvenience.

What I do hate is if you're using a subtitle file and it desyncs and you have to fix the sync on it, that's enough to make me want everything dubbed

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I hate wading into the subs vs. dubs controversy but I gotta say that the Italian dub of Unser Charly is far superior to the original German

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Kunster posted:

DBZ? That was straight up "Ok Vegeta only shows up for like 5 episodes right?" kinds of preparation. But DBZ's cast still gets interviews over it, thesis and videos done about it. There's a Super Eyepatch Wolf-style video about it on the portuguese internet and it cracks me up to see that level of production done to that.

I know people are talking about other things right now but do you have a link to this?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume so. twitter seems to suffer from alot of the problems facebook does where even in progressive positive uplifting communities, poo poo still gets toxic fast. its sad. I am not LGBT but i have seen that kinda poo poo on lefty twitters in general and just fandoms and etc. its depressing.

There is a huge LGBT community on twitter but I just can't deal with twitter poo poo, so I don't participate at all. I used to be relatively active on tumblr, and despite the huge amount of stupid poo poo on that site, it was usually recognized and called out by most people, and the whole environment was a lot more pleasant than twitter is. I just find twitter so nasty and unpleasant, I can't even put my finger on it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
John Green setting his novel's romantic climax in the Anne Frank house and saying poo poo like "Anne Frank just died of illness like most people" definitely rubbed me the wrong way and the post editing to be about sucking dick was funny.

He made a response to it where he was like "I'm not even offended for me... I'm offended for people who really do enjoy sucking dick because there is nothing wrong with sucking dick!!" which was even funnier cause like half the people making fun of him were gay teens.

Besides that one John Green dogpile though Tumblr got very, very, very loving obnoxious when it came to callout posts and things like that.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Nobody in the west has been able to properly tell the difference between Japan, China, and Korea for the past thousand years.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Twitter is such a lovely format to have any kind of in-depth discussion about any topic

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Why does the dungeon meshi elf always look so sad

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
drat. Her loss.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I liked the Last of Us but I can't say that the gameplay was what I liked about it. It was extremely standard stuff.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
If we just want to watch something on youtube, there's this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI50XUeN6QE

He makes extremely, extremely in-depth explanations of... retro game mechanics. He's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXeoyTtfECs

I also like this guy because he makes these top ten videos showing off an encyclopedic knowledge of and lifelong experience with JRPGs. Then you check his Q&A videos and the dude is totally ripped

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 28, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There's a perfect exchange in the FF7 Remake:

Aerith - "Shall we mosey on over?"

Cloud - "Let's."

That reference won me over on the remake even though I don't like the combat too much.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Calico Heart posted:

Dunkey is such a laid-back guy that it never ceases to entertain and amaze me how angry people get at him.

Like, if you're thin-skinned enough to get defensive when a youtube comedian observes that an anime RPG somehow, just might have bad writing and voice acting, then buddy you're ganna have a hard life

I have never seen a second of this Dunkey man's video content but the FF7 Remake doesn't actually have bad writing or voice acting. I don't even like most JRPGs, because they have bad writing and voice acting - I found FF7 Crisis Core completely intolerable for those reasons. FF7 Remake actually has quite good writing and acting.

If the guy just goes in and says every JRPG has bad writing and voice acting regardless of anything, then there's no point in listening to his opinions on them unless you just want to watch people be mad at games. If his main problem is writing and VA, then it's also kind of odd to me that he likes Persona 5 and not any other JRPG, since I would say that game has pretty bad writing and voice acting after the first palace, and is carried through primarily on its dating-sim elements and visual style.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I figure people like Doc Ock and Kingpin would probably just see the post-9/11 patriotic insanity as an opportunity to improve their public image, like real life evil powerful New Yorkers did.

To that end, I could definitely see a gaggle of supervillains getting together at ground zero to make some kind of stupid saccharine video that's just like that crying Doctor Doom comic.

Does Doctor Doom canonically give a poo poo about civilian lives? Doesn't he lead the worst, most oppressive nation on earth or something?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
After that wingsofredemption video I had to stop watching any of the DTRH video about internet people. There was just nothing to say about the dude - he's a guy who made low-effort call of duty videos, got a little popular, got trolled during it, and was just unhappy in general. Who cares? It was such a waste of time to watch, and even more of a waste of time to research, record, and edit a video on someone so banal.

I could understand the TempleOS video because the guy behind that went to extraordinary lengths to design a bizarre operating system as a monument to God. Making a video on him is like making a video on Henry Darger. But doing a deep dive on people who made some crappy YouTube videos or self-published a lovely book is just pointless.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

man nuts and bolts is such a great game and i hate that people shat on it when it came out

I was surprised when I actually saw gameplay of it because I was expecting something awful and it turned out to look like a really good game with a lot of interesting mechanics and I regret not buying it back when I had an Xbox 360.

People fuckin hated it.

Also if they came out today with Banjo Kazooie 4 and it felt exactly like an updated version of the old games, and was designed the same way as the originals, people would also hate that. That style of game design has not held up. People are no longer impressed by a large map that you can run around in.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Augus posted:

Super Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time were stellar and loved by basically everyone. You can absolutely make a collectathon platformer in 2020 and make it work

A Hat in Time... I don't know how I feel about it. It was highly charming and had a lot of polish, but the actual gameplay was just not fun. The controls were very stiff, as in, the main character was so overly easy to control that the platforming challenges were unsatisfying. The game is obviously well made and was created by talented and skilled people - there's a lot to like in the game, but I dunno, not in the gameplay for me.

I will admit defeat on Mario Odyssey. I didn't even register that as a collectathon at first, but it is one, and it's a great game. Still, even though I like Odyssey a lot, I think the way that it staggers its collectibles with the moon blocks, adds tons of bonus things to buy with coins, adds the ability to capture any enemy, and throws in the ability to teleport around the kingdoms help address some of the problems with collectathons.

Plus, I still think Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are better because tightly-designed platforming challenges are better than big, wide areas. There's a relative lack of pure platforming challenges in Odyssey that make good use of Mario's expanded moveset. You also end up with situations where you have to do some tedious crap to get moons and currency, like capturing a flying goomba and cruising around the Cap Kingdom at low speed looking around for things in heavy fog. Or falling down into the Deep Woods in Wooded Kingdom and wasting your time in a big, empty hole. If Odyssey had been made in the style of Mario Galaxy I probably would have liked it more.

My favorite N64 games were Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day, it's not like I don't have appreciation for the genre. I just think its time has mostly passed.