Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm just gonna accept that I'm gonna be one of the few people who legit love Last Jedi. I actually saw it again with my parents and Wooo, that my be like the forth time I've seen it and it still hasn't gotten old.

The Last Jedi owns and I haven't liked any of RLM's content in over a year, so I don't intend to watch yet another whiny nerd review about how Star Wars is dead (yet again). The vitriolic fan response to the movie - not to mention the disconcerting right-wing culture war against it - ironically proves a lot of the points the film was making about fan culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

EDIT: I think the worst thing about all the TLJ kerfuffle is most of it's centered around the stuff with Rose and Finn and Poe, which was pretty weak, and so everyone forgets the really interesting stuff with Rey and Luke and Kylo.

I'm not sure that's true. It definitely the weakest part for me and like, most reasonable people because the pacing is wonky and the humor doesn't quite work, leading its point to be kinda muddled.
However, most nerds don't complain about that part (aside from blanket complaints about Rose). When they're not bitching about feminism ruining Star Wars, they're freaking out about how Luke was handled and hating on Kylo and Rey.
But I certainly think that the Luke-Rey-Kylo dynamic is the best part of the movie, and one of the best things in the franchise period.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Last Jedi is a really good Dune Messiah movie.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dune is good and so is Last Jedi.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

The novel, Lynch movie, Alan Smithee'd TV edit of said movie or mini-series?

The novel. Movies all blow, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Villanueve's upcoming one.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I saw a clip of this the other day, and I thought it was a fake some did via video editing.

Also:

:pwn: Why?

Out of morbid curiosity I checked out Doug's review of the TTG movie a couple months back, and he implied that he had never really watched either show beyond one or two episodes. So I'm really wondering just how disingenuous this is.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

No.1 Special posted:

Movies with Mikey: Let's Talk about Thanos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Skq8UtJpY

He kicks down the hornet's nest with this one. Which is a shame because he makes a lot of good points with this one.

He makes a lot of the points I brought up in a piece that I wrote about why I hated Infinity War, mainly surrounding how hollow Thanos is and how the defenses of him as the "hero" are made in both bad faith and poor taste. Although he seems to be approaching it from a reader-response sort of angle, where the traumatic events of the movie aren't really welcome, and concedes that the movie is well made - which is something I'd have to object to. It's not just that Infinity War lacks much in the way of an actual narrative - the film ignores the 18 movies of set-up that (supposedly) justify its existence as an event movie (if we're to accept that as a thing). Consequences and character arcs from previous films are either ignored or ruined. Like, even as a fanservice piece I don't think the movie meets its mark because it's just so incurious and lazy that it fails to meet even the low bar of a decent superhero action extravaganza.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't watched the video yet but the section on Thanos in your piece describes the problem I had with him to a T.

Thank you! I appreciate you reading my dumb, rambling nonsense. And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had issues with the film.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

one thing I like about the Prequels is that they have more goofy aliens. That's something missing from this new trilogy. Holdo should have been a gungan. Poe should have been a shistavanen.

While Last Jedi was lacking in goofy rear end aliens, Solo had maybe the best selection of that stuff in the series. But nobody saw Solo, so eh.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Solo is a very competently made film with solid performances all round, and they put a lot of effort into making it look good. It's only actual failing is the lack of an actual plot.

All things considered, Solo is way, way better than it should've been considering its lack of a premise and all the production difficulties. Like, with the exception of one mesmerizingly dumb scene near the end, I was actually having fun with it as a scholocky blockbuster. I still contend that it's better than most non-GotG superhero movies over the past few years, if anything.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which scene are you thinking of? I can't recall anything like that from latter parts of the film.

Darth Maul reveal. It felt so out of place, divorced from the rest of the story and even interrupting the pacing of an otherwise fun climax. He pointlessly pulls out his lightsaber to intimidate nobody and musical cues from Duel of the Fates plays. I know Solo was all about fun fanservice, but that pushed it too far for me, particularly because I've never been keen on the EU concept of Maul surviving. He's just one of those characters like Boba Fett that got adopted by fans, despite not having anything to their actual character in the films besides their unique designs. And now he's running a criminal empire? I couldn't focus on the rest of the movie after that scene, and I guess I was perhaps taking it too seriously. Until that point, I was actually pleasantly surprised with how decent Solo turned out to be. But after the more critical take on fan culture that we got in The Last Jedi, Solo's fanservice felt like a step backwards, and the Maul scene was what really broke the nostalgic illusion for me.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Karloff posted:

I didn't like Solo, but I thought the idea of that was that she was young as opposed to a girl. That the status quo of Empire/Gangsters created a world where you had to be hard to survive.

Yeah, the reveal was definitely about her youth moreso than her gender. The new films haven't been shy about putting women in positions of authority, so there's no real reason for it be that kind of thing anyway.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Augus posted:

The reason why Clone Wars and The Last Jedi are great is that they take all the ideas behind the prequels and present them with greater clarity, stronger direction, and more emotional depth. The prequels had good ideas but weak execution

I think I agree, but it's so hard to determine the actual intentions behind a lot of the prequels decisions. However, The Last Jedi (haven't seen Clone Wars, besides the Tartokovsky version) definitely draws from ideas that the prequels (unintentionally?) seeded and extrapolates on them in an interesting direction.
A neat exercise I came up with is considering the previous two trilogies as semi-fictionalized accounts of historic events, consumed and interpreted in the new films. Rey grew up with the idealized "myths" of Star Wars (the OT), while Luke, far more flawed than some readings of the legends might suggest, realizes that the Jedi were a bunch of idiot gently caress-ups who enabled fascism's rise (an interpretation of the prequels that TLJ effectively canonizes). The idea of an installment outside the realm of previous continuity really intrigues me and reminds me of MGS2... Actually, a lot of things in TLJ remind me of MGS2, now that I think about it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Look, look, look I’m not saying trying to be more inclusive is bad I just want to mention Sexism goes both ways for no real reason.

Not that I’m saying this is it but I’m just saying it in general just thinking aloud.

Lol nerds are so lovely and as subtle as a hammer.

for the love of christ shut up

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sorry to make fun of your twitter account.

countdown to puppetmaster defense started

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

That Dunkey video is unbelievably bad, holy poo poo. It really is CinemaSins tier.
Also, I'm loving done with all the misogynistic poo poo he's been spouting lately.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the intentional lying about what the game is like I guess

Also calling 2B a "prostitute", calling Jade from Dragon Quest a "cringeworthy stripper", and calling Tifa a "brain-dead pair of tits".
I'm beginning to think Dunkey has issues.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Nier Replicant remake is gonna come out and he'll call Kaine a "cringey tr*nny whore" or something. And people will be like, "well you see, he's pointing out common flaws with JRPGs"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Isn't DTRH secretly chud-y? I dunno, all of his videos on internet trainwrecks seem like they're one step away from outright victim blaming and half of the time seem to do that implicitly. Plus he's been showing up on streams with some other lovely people who are basically "let's make fun of others on the internet!" types. And Internet Historian. And the aforementioned reliance on actual nazi site kiwifarms for sources. I dunno, DTRH has become mad sus.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I remember him reading the Channel Awesome document and getting to the part where it claims that female producers' grievances were more ignored then men's, and he responded, "I have my own thoughts on that, but I'm not gonna say." Felt like he was trying to be diplomatic but also go "check out these crazy broads." Which is the vibe I've been getting from a lot of his videos.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Rian Johnson owns and made the best Star Wars things since Empire Strikes Back. Plus Fly, Ozymandias, Brick, Looper, Knives Out... Dude is great.

Anyway, here's an actually funny review of FF7R:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMPF40-5rb0

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

A Hat in Time is one of my favorite games of the last few years. It's just so drat charming and fun and bounce around in. Feels like the kinda game I would've played as a kid, but not actually because making N64 games in modern machines gets you Yooka Laylee. So I guess it's an idealized version of a kid's game. Plus it has an endless amount of mods and custom levels.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I just wanna comment that I peaced out of this thread for like a year and a half because it was actively damaging my brain, but I am loving astonished that you guys are still using the "quote the Ishtar trailer to reset the conversation" gag that I started years ago. :3:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The One Piece rap is perfect.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

josh04 posted:

In a similar way, having read every Star Wars extended universe novel makes me perfectly positioned to explain why the Last Jedi deserves a war crimes tribunal,

I spent a good chunk of my childhood reading dozens upon dozens of awful EU novels. It made me appreciate TLJ so much more.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I hate 00's music but the cartoons then were choice. As stated, stuff like Avatar and Teen Titans hold up to this day.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of this kinda stuff, if you want a real trip, search *any 2000s franchise, especially anime* with Breaking Benjamin's "Blow Me Away" on YouTube. You will find some extremely aesthetic AMVs from the dawn of time. Seriously, you'll get like a hundred thousand Naruto videos that are functionally the same and endlessly charming. A simpler time.
If you want stuff from the 2010s, just swap the song out with 30 Seconds to Mars' "This is War".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I guarantee this was exacerbated by the fact that this song was on the Halo 2 soundtrack, so it was hitting a lot of people at once.

Absolutely, and that is one of the best moments of licensed music in a game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

I remember Raycevick or some youtuber said that moment was cringy and I wanted to slap them lmao

That sucked. But you know what's an even worse take?
Folks who didn't like "M4 Pt 2" in the end credits for Mass Effect 1.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Comparing almost any anime to Eizouken seems unfair, tbh.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i wouldnt bother if carole & tuesday wasnt so similar, and even then i might not if it werent directed by shinichiro watanabe. space dandy was my #1 anime of all time before i saw eizouken

High-five, Space Dandy buddy. That show did not get enough love.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i think about the “world without sadness” episode a lot, and what it has to say about how pleasure cant exist without pain. i also think about the danceingians episode a lot because im 90% sure its about how much fun it is to do (certain) drugs

"A World Without Sadness" might be one of my favorite anime episodes period, along with Evangelion's "Take Care of Yourself".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean anti- is just straight up prefix that is always pronounced the same, pronouncing it like it's a part of the main word is weird.

Plenty of people pronounce it "an-tifa" and this is an asinine argument, and even stupider metric to gauge someone's political leanings.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

It isn't really an accurate metric but is the result of widespread successful fascist propaganda designed to obfuscate.

Holy poo poo, are you for real?
e: username checks out

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sorry you don't believe that there is an organized attempt to pretend there is an "alt-left" that includes pretending antifa doesn't stand for anti-fascist.

loving lmao is the debate about .gif's pronunciation a smokescreen by the alt-fur? gently caress off.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Only ever seen chuds pronounce it that way. So when you pronounce "anti," do you say "anne-TEEH," then? Like an-tee-freeze or an-tee-bacterial?

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.
This thread, of all loving threads, should understand that pronunciation is not uniform for etymological phenomenon. In America we say "pedophile" in the same way we say "pedometer", not "pediatrician". Does that make linguistic sense? Does it matter? Does it prove you're a chud?
They pronounce it anne-tifa because loving most people do.
Because I guess that's part of their galaxy brain conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alpharad's World of Light Nuzlocke series is a sight to behold. And has an absolutely crushing ending.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Paladin posted:

I am shocked this thread is unaware of Dune: The Board Game, greatest board game of all time. I expected stronger Dune related opinions from this thread.

That game rules and involves so many tiny references that it really feels full of love. It's impossible to get people to agree to sit down for a 2 hour session of explaining the rules and then a 3 hour game, though.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

Star Trek sucks, Star Wars is better. Suck it nerds :kheldragar:

Dune bois represent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes I'm probably the only person to remember this at like 6 am on Thursday mornings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

I thought about bringing this up when the merits of Sherlock adaptations discussion started, but I trusted someone else to do it eventually.
I have not seen this show in probably something like two decades, and yet the theme song gets stuck in my head weekly.