Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

They're being bought out by a company that's known for selling private information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I don't know if anyone else has ever watched RebelTaxi but that's a pretty good YouTube channel I watch. The guy behind it (he calls himself Pan-Pizza) focuses mainly on reviewing animation but he tends to go into a good bit of detail on the production of the things he reviews, and he's even gotten into contact with C.H. Greenblatt from Chowder and Ian Jones-Quartey from O.K. K.O. Let's Be Heroes. His style of humor leads a bit too crass sometimes but I like the insight he gives.

I'm a RebelTaxi fan both his videos and his podcast. It's pretty funny how he's charismatic but at the same time a complete nerd. Sometimes he overdoes it but something I like in internet critics is when they're vulnerable (this is what first attracted me to Contrapoints). His review for Allen Gregory had more laughs than the entirety of the show, but my favourite of his videos is the essay on why TV doesn't want anime or action cartoons. To bring it to other reviewers, certain episodes of his podcasts introduced me to Night Mind and Guru Larry Jr.

Also WOW I was not expecting Angry Joe to leave CA.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

It's funny, I remembered Pan-Pizza talked on his podcast once after Allison was fired that he was actually going to join Channel Awesome after he got picked up in their talent search thing. He didn't get to join though because he missed a Skype call.

Sounds eerily familiar.

When I first heard about Pan's experience with that Skype call thing I got the impression that Michaud didn't care for bringing new people on but as the last month has revealed no he's like that to producers on the site.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

One of the victims has posted in Reddit about their experience.

And here is Holly's confirmation that the anonymous redditor is one of the victims: https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/984508192859144192?s=20

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Battle Geek Plus made it official:

https://twitter.com/BattleGeekPlus/status/984603414393847808

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984642322649485314?s=20

Apparently Brad said he left in Discord

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Plot twist: BotL is Larry.

I'd believe it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

...what are right opinions about Jupiter Ascending?

It's worth a watch especially if you like space opera and the dragon dudes were so cool.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know if I mentioned him before but I'm a fan of the1janitor for internet commentary.

Also that Double Toasted review of Acrimony was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile and you know that Korey is keen on Tyler Perry tropes which is what makes the review so much better. I was introduced to Double Toasted when I heard about their Zootopia review and that was literally the best way to be introduced to them because that review was as earnest as it was raunchy.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

They come from Spill.com but they were cartoons back then.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Will Guru Larry even outlast DOUG WALKER?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Doug Walker reminds me of Kevin Smith in that he wants to be a great filmmaker but is unwilling to improve and learn basic technical stuff because he got ahead without knowing those things (among other things). But when it was time to come together and make something of higher caliber (the anniversary films) he wasn't willing to improve his skillset even the slightest, or at least this how it seems. Reading about how much of a technophobe he is is not surprising at all.

Am I wrong or does Rob handle all the computer stuff for Nostalgia Critic?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Kunster posted:

Oh hey, everyone's fave ShapeShifting 4 armed 3 eyed cat shaped being has posted the Cabin Fever Dreams of this year!

I wonder if the first few seconds of his vids are supposed to get weirdly muted due to high frequencies or my wireless headphones are just messed up.

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This was hard to watch. Jesus Christ... :smith:

Puppy Time posted:

He's usually a little more dry, yeah.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't feel like the horrible skits from Channel Awesome Classic. It adds nothing and doesn't suit his performance style.

I Before E posted:

He varies, some videos are dryer, but stuff like his Night Vale video is more on the schticky side. Personally, I think he's got a nice balance of deadpan and schtick.

I don't mind it too much, I think Nick Nocturne is a very charming lovable character although I understand the Channel Awesome comparison.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

At this rate Guru Larry is going to outlast Mike Michaud. He is going to 200% complete this thing!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Speaking of puzzles...

A couple years ago I vowed to beat the metroidvania game La-Mulana without a guide. How long did it take me? Over 260 hours.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Augus posted:

La Mulana is a bit hard to discuss because puzzles are a very subjective thing, what's very hard for you might be easy for me and vice versa. But still, I love La Mulana's obtuseness that forces you to pay attention to minor details, take notes, and draw connections between hints that might be on the complete opposite sides of the map. Props to you for following through with your commitment to beating it without a guide, even if it take an absurd amount of time. It's such an absorbing world to get hopelessly lost in and it's a game that I have a great fondness for. Still waiting with baited breath for the sequel

Forcing me to take notes was a large part of why I liked the experience. As for getting stuck, I'm not the first person to get stuck where I did. Apparently that puzzle is a very popular stopping point.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This is the first time this has truly happened to me and it is awful.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Joseph Anderson is a good critic although he gets caught up in stupid little things sometimes and if he improved that he would be godly.

How was that even a response to what Ema Nymton said?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

lol if you think the creators of Emoji Movie care about feminism or leftism or anything that's not money

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was listening to YMS' podcast and he said that he won't watch a film unless it's really good or really bad which seems very misguided for an internet critic. Does he even consider himself a "critic"? Anyway, I never found him that funny or insightful.

Speaking of insightful, I watched Kim Justice's documentary on Oasis and Be Here Now and that was pretty good. The rise and fall of britpop is a blindspot for a my musical knowledge so this was good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Critic or no, I can't really say myself or anyone I know goes out of their way to watch mediocre movies.

A film that's neither good nor bad isn't necessarily boring or mediocre. Some films can do good and bad things on an equal ratio but still be interesting.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like Saberspark's continued coverage on North Korean cartoons. Especially this Lion King one since it looks like a ride although the later part of that Squirrel cartoon had better animation.

Karloff posted:

For me, any critic who I'll watch/read has to come from a place of love for film, so naming a channel Your Movie Sucks* was already a red flag for me, because I hate the whole "Movies are inherently poo poo, aren't I better than them" attitude. Negative reviews are fine, funny negative reviews even better, but I find it far more...truthful... I guess when a bad review comes from a place of disappointment, not entitled rage.

I watched his Looper review once and it got to the bit where he was complaining about "OMG, cars don't brake like that, unrealistic, bad movie", which made him seem like Cinemasins tier rubbish so I bailed. Looks like that wasn't a mistake on my part.

*Probably an Ebert reference, but still, point still stands.

Empty quote.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I might have said this before but who cares the funniest video I've seen in a long time aside from Double Toasted's review of Acrimony was the Jenny Nicholson video on that SyFy Channel reality show on the caveman tribe and the future tribe. Goddamn that was funny and not just because that show was stupid as hell but because Nicholson knows how to frame her topics in the most hilarious way possible.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

rudecyrus posted:

This brings me back to my teenage days of browsing fanfiction.net

More or less the same. The deliberate song mentions reminded me of the garbage I wrote.

Overall, it was a good video from Nicholson. She's really good at being very funny while also being slight.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Aw drat can't watch because I still have not beat Infinifactory.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm gonna say Lindsay Ellis is my favourite and when I was first introduced to her on TGWTG I didn't like her for reasons I've stated before (she was being written by Doug Walker and therefore came off as a pest). Then after a while I gave her videos another try and realized she was actually funny and not obnoxious at all! From her Channel Awesome days my favourite video of hers is the collab she did with Linkara on the Supergirl movie.

Runners up include Contrapoints and Hbomberguy which I both found on these here threads.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The question is which internet critic has the best voice?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I should answer my own question. I like Fredrik Knudsen's voice the most even if I've only watched half a dozen of his vids. Night Mind is a close second. His voice is smooth.

I also liked Contra's voice back when she identified as a male but watching old videos of her's is so weird now and I like her new voice too! :)

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We forgot that Jim Sterling did a 100% objective review of the greatest "video" game of all time.

21 Muns posted:

Oh, almost forgot, there's an up-and-coming cartoon reviewer called Robobuddies, who I really like. You can tell that she's kind of young and really geeky - she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes - but her opinions are often really insightful and well-supported, and her voice is very pleasant. Standouts include the "Why Donkey Matters" video, which legitimately changed my perspective on Shrek, and the Emoji Movie "video", which was apparently improvised on a Skype call in one take, and is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard. She's apparently well-known for a video she did on Steven Universe, and I'm looking forward to watching it, although I haven't yet because I'm not caught up on the show.

I watch her stuff occasionally. She's not high on my cartoon reviewer list but I've seen her stuff including that Steven Universe video which I think is her best work to date.

business hammocks posted:

This isn’t a review thing exactly, but I guess it’s kind of Night Mind-related: DarkHarvest01, a slenderman-related youtube series from 2010 has started back up. It’s been silent since 2012 at least and was never very good. But now that the kids behind it have graduated from high school and college, maybe it will have some kind of conclusion that Night Mind will go apeshit for.

Speaking of Night Mind just the other week one of the subjects in his latest video had their hub obliterated so that sucks

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

KayTee posted:

We did? Are you sure? :p

I'm not sure, I probably missed it but these threads move fast.

KayTee posted:

I just finished watching that video. I only chose it for the chance it would support my personal narrative that Steven Universe is tragically unfunny and it's popularity is a mystery to me.

I enjoyed it - I think the reviewer was a little tryhard at times, but it was an entertaining watch that kept me from doing stuff I should be doing for a while, so it works.

She reminds me of Super Butter Buns, who is one of my fave creators outside of the ones previously mentioned. She makes me laugh.

Super Butter Buns is another reviewer I like. Her recent video on SMT: Nocturne is probably my favourite of hers so far. Her style of humour is right up my alley. I don't know how you'd describe it: ridiculous analogies, shouty sarcasm, and lots of funny editing.

It helps that she her tastes line up with mine. She's never made a video on a game I'm not interested in ( a lot of 3D platformers and JRPGs).

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know anyone who's a hardcore stream watcher so I don't know the rationale behind it, but hey I'm the guy who's in the middle of binging a stream archive of Final Fantasy VI T-Edition so even I will dedicate the time of watching a 100-hour video series as background noise if the game is interesting enough to me.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm worried that Incredibles 2 will really emphasize "NEW THINGS BAD". That's how I interpreted the trailer, and obviously you could assume that Incredible 2 will subvert that trope but I'm not holding my breath for the film.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Oh my gawd, Night Mind's skits are not that bad

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

Superhero Movies (2017) - IHE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcenfc6Qbc

lol James Cameron wants us all to get tired of Super Hero Movies so we can all watch his billion dollar Avatar sequels.

I've been predicting the crash of superhero films for the last five years and what keeps it afloat is that production companies are getting better at remixing the formula and finding new ways to reinvent the genre.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DoubleToasted have some good takes on all this Kanye nonsense, including reminding everyone that Kanye will spout any drat platitude he can for attention.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

most JRPGs have very small skill ceilings meaning that there isn't much to understand in terms of tactics and strategy before you are as effective as you can be and all you can do is grind to get more powerful. I'm playing Chrono Trigger right now and realizing how stupidly simple it is. Earthbound isn't that much better. What makes these games excellent in my eyes is all the stuff around the battles and its mechanics. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and many other JRPGs are best described as "adventure games with battles" which is good enough for most people, like myself, but makes experiencing the core of a JRPG's challenge-- the battles-- a chore.

I might do a video on it. I'm a huge defendant of JRPGs but I recognize their problems.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Earthbound has a lot of parts where you just control one hero and when you're action economy revolves around a single hero that leads to some frustrating gameplay. Still love Earthbound though. Favourite game.

Earthbound Zero? I love that game too but it's even more frustrating.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not eager for the implosion of superhero flicks, just for many years I was expecting it. I've been very apathetic of superhero flicks for the last decade and I haven't seen one since Iron Man 2 but I'm not thirsting for their destruction.

Note: I saw Batman v Superman and a bit of Suicide Squad but I'd rather forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I liked the Too Many Cooks-esque parts of the new Hbomberguy vid. I love the dialogue and text.