Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Like, I mean at least Larry hemmed and hawed about maybe leaving the site before he apparently chose to stay on. So I don't know if that makes it better or worse than Brad proudly planting his flag atop Mt. Michaud or Bennett's utter radio silence on the matter.

Someone here in the last thread said that Larry admitted to them in private that he hates CA and is only staying to watch the fireworks and implosions from within. He's said on Twitter that he doesn't feel comfortable leaving now as (since he was never a big name producer) it would feel to him like he's just riding the coat-tails of the producers who paved the way.

Either way, with Joe and Masako gone, the non-Doug producer count on TGWTG can be counted on two hands now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

They are that tone deaf aren't they?

Two weeks ago I'd have said they weren't that stupid. Now? I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Michaud, what have you done. How are you so incompetent that in your statement trying to say you dealt with a predator, you instead dig up another Jane Doe case and out the predator as someone you made a memorial video for?

I can't actually believe it's Justin. Like, of all the people it was the innocent bumbling dad looking guy. I was a young teen when I got into TGWTG and I loved Justin's stuff, so part of me wonders if what I'm feeling is like what the people who watched Jimmy Saville felt when the news about him came out.

Also, I can't embed Twitter links, but the Down The Rabbit Hole guy has said he's gonna be streaming Michaud's post along with some other information he got in private.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder that Down The Rabbit Hole will be doing a second stream on Channel Awesome in about... 20 minutes, IIRC. It was originally just meant to be looking at the written response but after the Justin news, who knows where it'll go.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Stream's done. Fred stuck to the written response and didn't really go into the Justin allegations beyond the aforementioned Liz interview. He did however say that he will be doing a proper Down the Rabbit Hole on Channel Awesome once this all calms down.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Unless any of you chucklefucks are gonna loop this Man of Steel talk back around to the actual point of this thread, can you everyone else a favor and gently caress off to the film forums.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Geez, Salon let them off light with that one. I've seen harsher articles in small-town newspapers.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Barring their mainline X-men films ironically enough, Fox have actually proved that the superhero genre can be used to branch into other genres fairly easily. Logan is basically a Western, and Deadpool is a raunchy R-rated comedy (albeit Deadpool 2 will be the deciding factor in whether or not it was just a flash in the pan). New Mutants (if it doesn't get killed in the crib) might branch it out into the horror genre as well.

With stuff like that, and the MCU's own success with branching into other genres (Winter Soldier is basically the best MGS movie we'll ever get, Ant Man is a heist film, etc), it proves that the superhero genre has a ways to go before it gets stale when the right people are making them.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's not just you. It's one of my many issues with the prequels. The Jedi as described and implied in the Original Trilogy sound a lot more like knights errant in space than they do stoic space buddhist monks. You got the sort of new age/pop culture eastern mysticism from Yoda and poo poo, but the overall vibe from what we hear and see of the Jedi sounds more like wandering ronin and space knights, not monastic folks with an organized hierarchy who sit around writing and contemplating books.

Low-key but I would love if after the sequel films that's where they take the Jedi. Luke point blank says that the old ways of the Jedi were all failures, so have Rey teach the new generation of Jedi (we know she's going to so that we can have more Jedi protagonists in the future) but instead teach them to wander the galaxy and do right by your own code.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a shame Jimi Hendrix died in New Order because the scene where he chews out BJ for American racism before dropping acid and playing Voodoo Child is amazing.

It's also much better written and paced than most of New Colossus.

Going back to Far Cry 5, Ubisoft was always insistent that the game had been in developed since circa 2015, it was the media who were pushing the "Far Cry 5 is a MAGA killing simulator" angle. It's clear from playing that while the game has potshots on both side of the US political spectrum (someone tosses around the insult "Libtard" at one point, but that's really as deep as knocking the left gets), it's very much left-leaning politically.

People like Errant Signal (who hasn't made a single good video since he left Spoiler Warning) who were looking for deeper political meaning in this game are comparable to people who try and strike gold in a silver mine; they're looking for something that was never there in the first place.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FoldableHuman posted:

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

Cool story bro. Points for the dated meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Call me crazy, but I think that 3's story and mechanics added up to something more interesting than it's usually given credit for.

I feel like Far Cry 3 came out right before Ubisoft began to run the whole "climb towers to find collectables and clear out outposts" formula to the ground so it feels pretty fresh and really good to play. Even now the gunplay still holds up really well. Vaas helps raise a good-if-not-great script to something great, but his absence is keenly felt in the second half.

Weirdly, what I otherwise remember from Far Cry 3 is that I got really good at poker in that and Watch Dogs for like six months before I suddenly became awful again.