Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

Hey, I don't know if we ever touched on this, but do priests actually get powers ala D&D in this world? Can the priest actually cast spells? Further, are the gods actually present? It seems like an upstart religion converting followers with no big demigod behind it is ripe for a very quick squish.

Grey Hunter, you might have missed this. Could you let us know if Priests have Powers or are they just good figureheads to have on our side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

super sweet best pal posted:

3. Argue that by declaring their willingness to fight, they have proven they do not truly believe the teachings of their god. They value their own lives above their beliefs. They may not have broken the tenets of their religion in deed yet but they already have in spirit. If their faith was truly unshakable, they would not fear the teachings of another god.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

3. Argue that by declaring their willingness to fight, they have proven they do not truly believe the teachings of their god. They value their own lives above their beliefs. They may not have broken the tenets of their religion in deed yet but they already have in spirit. If their faith was truly unshakable, they would not fear the teachings of another god.

This

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like this one

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
5. All the good prophets always start by turning the water into blood

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hmm, that's an interesting observation. May I rebuke with one of Ahsherah's many words of wisdom? "MOVE BITCH GET OUT OF THE WAY" and then pummel everyone who opposed us. We need to keep the peace!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Look inside yourself…

Olimas steps forward to answer. His voice carries loud and clear.
”The very fact that you are standing there armed to stop me shows that you cannot believe in your own gods tenants.” he began. ”You listen to your absent god, who tells you to do nothing, hurt nobody, and you will be rewarded when you die. Then you look at the world around you and realize that it will not let you live in peace. life is struggle, you have to fight for what you believed in, but you are following a god who says that to even contemplate defending yourselves is a sin!” The priest was building a head of steam by now.
”Your religion is there to keep you in your place! The rich and powerful will tell you the meek shall inherit the earth - but they know that is only when they are done with it! They would rather you be sheep! I stand for Asherah! Asherah knows the world is pain and sorrow, Ashera knows you have to fight to remain alive - for what good are you to a god dead? There are threats coming - Kilria is out there, he is not sleeping like Hurn, he is preparing his forces to move on us - the world has bene changed by monsters, and now a god has arrived to make us the greatest - war is coming, you can all see that - it may be a trade war, or it may be the Kiliramites burning our lands to the ground and salting the earth - we owe it to our friends, our families, to fight, to believe in one who will let us fight!”
He strides forwards, bows and spears come up.
”You have two choices - let me into the city, or kill me. You may believe one will drat you, but the other will save you. You can kill me, but you will be the monster, or you can follow your teachings and let me speak in peace. or, you can listen to me, and we can save this great nation from those who seek to end it.”
He continues to walk, and as he gets closer, the swords and bows drop. And he enters the town unopposed.

The first day he preaches from the town square, and gains his converts, the stories of Asherah are spreading quickly, and multiplying fast. The old man in the second village is now some form of demon, and he was smote down by Asherah in person. The pearls sing a angelic melody (Sarga noted that one down to do later.) and the fish from the first village, now being called Asherah’s Landing, were said to have healing properties. They were now going for three times that of the other fish in the market, and the price began to rise as the placebo effect kicked in.

The second day, a nobleman granted them the use of one of his warehouses for their sermons. Sarga was not sure if he was a real convert, but she suspected a plant from the government who were doing their best to support what they would be paying for.

By the end of the week, a second warehouse had been commissioned through donations and fish sales, and Olga had taken on the role of a second priest - others were getting ready to step up and move on to the other surrounding villages.
The only problem left was the hardcore Hurnists. The priesthood in the city began to use their powers to move against the Asherans. First they passed a morale law excommuicating anyone who went to one of the sermons, but as most people who went were already converts, this did little.
Olimas now had a good network of supporters, and through what was now a permanent wiretap spell, she learned that they had tried to get the cities liege lord to kick them out. But he had been instructed to not interfere by his master's in the capital.
The Protests did work for a while, as many people on the fence didn’t want to be seen breaking a picket line made up of holy men. But then a group of wealthy merchants walked straight past them and into the church, and asked what the tyths were like. When they were assured that taxation was a state thing and not a church thing, but donations would be accepted, they quickly converted, and a lot of their staff followed the across the line.

A month after arriving, the town was converting itself, a couple of newly frocked priests had headed out into the surrounding countryside, and Olimas’ eyes turned to Cliffcut. Word was that the Hurnists had been digging in, whipping the people up into a frenzy and telling them a monster had corrupted the outsiders and was coming for them. It would be a tougher nut to crack.

My god, when will you lot stop rolling well on skill checks? A 01 for how well the religion spreads in town!

How shall we take the city?
1 - Walk on in, with a trusted group of zealots and ask the lords for protection.
2 - Convert a major nobleman in the city and use him as a way in.
3 - Set up shop outside the city and let the converts come to you!
4 - Send in the minions to take out the church leaders. Fake it as a Kilimas attack.
5 - Send in Asherah himself.
6 - Something else!

quote:

Mana = 369/450 1 Large Manawell 494/1000
Gold = 42750

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
34 Beaverpeople. 4 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

[b]At the Sapphire Isle

Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

2. Let's get a high ranking mole set up and develop a network of informants to figure out the details of any resistance or opportunities.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

3 for sure. Let them come to us. Maybe work some minor miracles. Heal a few folk. Find and punish somebody corrupt in the city the Hurnites have been ignoring.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Do 3 while doing 2.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Can we give Asherah himself any powers?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

3 and 2

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

3 and 2 seem good.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
3 and 2.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Loel posted:

3 and 2

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I mean, we could even have the Irwins start casing the place for access points if we decide to get a little murdery, so i will amend my "do 3 while doing 2" to do 3 while doing 2 while scouting 4.

Really just not 5. Our minions can do things like die. Pretty sure gods aren't supposed to do that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

If you preach it, they will come.

Olimas arrives at Cliffcut, finding the gates barred to him. This was not a surprise, the Hurnists would be trying to stop the advance of this religion will all their might.
Olimas knew the men on the gates would be briefed, and he could see the banners of mercenaries - your soul didn’t have to get stained if you just said something like “stop this man from entering the city” and then winked.
He had no intention of giving them what they wanted. He set his tent down in front of the city. A rock lay beside the road, to big to move and not in the way of the field. He sat atop it and waited.

The gates stood closed for three days and nights. And every day, Olimas sat on the rock.
The third night the assassins came.
They moved up to the tent in silence, knives ready in the night. The firts one was closing in on the tent flap when a grunt made him turn.
The reamost of his compatriots sank to his knees, a wicked barbed arrow jutting from his throat. The second man turned to try and issue a warning but an arrow hit him in the chest and dropped him before he could utter a word.
The final assassin attempted to run, but a hideous creature rose up in front of him and took his head off.
Seaglass and Irwin dragged the corpses back to the sea, where they would never be found,Sarga had expected something like this, and they had been put on watch. All the humans ever knew of this was a few patches of blood the next morning.

By the fifth day, the merchants and people of the city were tired of being besieged by two people, and the city guards forced the mercenaries to open the gates. Trade resumed, but the mercenaries stood close to the gates. They did not advance from the city, but they made it clear that the Priest was not welcome inside the gates.
He sat on his rock, and talked to those who came past. He did not start with the big speeches, but with jokes. Many in the first rush heard him say ”All this for me, I must be the most dangerous man in the world.”
He did pick up a small following though, people curious to see what the big deal was about - they knew that in the last few months Asherah had gone from begin unknown to being on the lips of everyone. People were talking about how they had never seen the church wound up so much.

As another week passed, the rock became surrounded by people every day, and a few remained at night to guard him. Converts were easy to find, but the numbers were not welling as fast as in other places - here Hurn was keeping a lid on things.
Then the noblewoman visited. She was dressing in the conspicuous hooded cloak, and many watched her as she tried to pass through the gate and into the camp without drawing any attention. She came up to Olimas and spoke with him and Olga at length.
She was the daughter of one of the nobles of the city, an old man who doted on his only daughter, but knew that by Hurn’s law all her land would pass to whichever man she married. Her father was sick, and she wished for help.

Do we
A - promise to heal the father
B - Promise that she will be able to keep her land.
C - something else.

Also, is there anything you want to do to speed up the flow of new converts?

quote:

Gold = 43500

Minions -

At the Sapphire Isle
4 Crabbersons.

Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C - Either A or B, her choice.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

Do we have beaverbabies and stuff yet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B because all are equal in the eyes of Asherah (and also A's just kicking the proverbial can).

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Do we have beaverbabies and stuff yet?

That quotebox in the posts is not a recap but a character sheet, and it says there are four (4) now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

C: keep her father alive until we can change the law for her.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How buff is this other empire they're planning to war against? If it's decently beefy we could probably get away with an additional teaching of There is no challenge in attacking the weak. Aid the weak that they may become strong. Challenge the strong that you may become stronger.

Mitigate the more uh... problematic aspects of our teachings and also "accidentally" start a populace uprising

Oh uh C Bride of Ashelon

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

B for sure. Let's get some equal opportunity messaging going.

If you're strong enough to keep your lands, then keep them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Relentless posted:

B for sure. Let's get some equal opportunity messaging going.

If you're strong enough to keep your lands, then keep them.

Feel like this is the vibe we need to go for - we feed, we support, we protect... we don't necessarily heal. We're not making some lovey dovey god.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

All aBoard the :bandwagon:.

Let's have some converts fill us in on other aspects of Hurn's laws that are similarly regressive or otherwise Dumb As gently caress.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
B Get some equality messages going, women inherit and be soldiers too. Can't hurt to have more fighting people than other empires

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

How buff is this other empire they're planning to war against? If it's decently beefy we could probably get away with an additional teaching of There is no challenge in attacking the weak. Aid the weak that they may become strong. Challenge the strong that you may become stronger.

Mitigate the more uh... problematic aspects of our teachings and also "accidentally" start a populace uprising

Oh uh C Bride of Ashelon

Recreate The Fisherman's Wife in the town square- Wait, that's a terrible idea.

C: Try to figure out what she's looking for: someone to heal sick Dad or just some assurance that she won't lose control of her families holdings under our faith?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How about something something if her dad performs some aquatic task he gets healed? Instead of our clergy being healers, they can tell people how to go get themselves healed?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Play to our strengths and turn her into a man.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blasphemaster posted:

How about something something if her dad performs some aquatic task he gets healed? Instead of our clergy being healers, they can tell people how to go get themselves healed?

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Blasphemaster posted:

I like A or B, but in either case we should make clear that Asherah will help them to find strength to accomplish what they wish, and they must seize it when the opportunity arrives.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All this will b e yours, my daughter.

”They would take your land?” Olimas asks.
”They do not see it as my land.” Replies Cala the Daughter of Cana, of the house of Manas.
”Asherah preaches that all should grow, and all should take what they want. We would support your cause, if you would support ours.”
”Your cause is as hated as mine, and as I have already told you, I have no power in the city, I am a chattel to be married off with a handsome dowery.”
”People would listen to you - if not the lords, then their wives. And we all know behind a powerful man always stands a more powerful woman.” Olimas nods towards Olga, who is sharpening one of the daggers she found on the floor near a pool of blood. She inclines her head. She had dealt with her share of bar brawls since taking over ownership of the tavern.
”You would have me have my friends twist their husbands?”
”I would have your friends enlighten them.” The idea was already taking root though, and Olimas could see it.

Cala returns to the city, and a few days later, she returns with a gaggle of cloaked women. They listen to Olimas and Olga, and return to the city,
A few days later. The Churches mercenaries leave their posts. Cala and several of her friends greet the priest and his collection of followers at the gate.
”An interesting development.” He comments.
”It seems there are many who question the old ways, and many mercenaries who are, well, mercenary in their feelings. Come, we must hold a service of celebration tonight.”

That night, they are in a fine old building that was now the head church of Asherah in Cliffcut, it was built into the base of the cliff, with large open windows looking out into the bay. It had belonged to Cala’s family, and she had donated it to the Church as a show of piety.
The room filled with the upper class of the city, and the streets below thronged with interested citizens. A string of men stood ready to relay Olimas’s every word.
No one here was a true believer, but many were interested, and Olimas stoond and began his speech, he talked about the looming threat, the hopelessness of following Hurn, and hit all the normal notes. People started sceptical, but as the sermon went on, more and more were beginning to believe.

Then the door exploded inwards, and through the door came a cloud of incense, and a score of hooded monks of Hurn. They fanned out down the alse and turned to face the congregation. Then, through the door strode the Bishop of Cliffcut.
Sarga sat up in her seat. The last few weeks had been easy for her, she had been pursuing some personal projects, but now she sensed the crisis point in her plan had arrived.
”This assembly is an affront to Hurn! All here shall be excommunicated!” The Bishop boomed.
”This is a free assembly of people! There is no law that says everyone should worship Hurn!” Olimas replies.
”You have all been duped by a monster. I demand you prove the ‘divinity’ of Asherah, or we shall petition the council to have you executed as a follower of evil!”

Crisis time!

1 - How do we convince a bishop our god is real. When he is a fake?
A - Have Olimas talk it out.
B - Have a personal appearance by Asherah.
C - Have some miracle performed.
D - ZAP!
E - Something else

2 - As an aside, what HAS Sarga been doing for the last couple of months?

quote:

Gold = 43500

Minions -

At the Sapphire Isle
4 Crabbersons.

Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grey Hunter posted:

A - Have Olimas talk it out.
+
E - Something else

”You have all been duped by a monster. I demand you prove the ‘divinity’ of Asherah, or we shall petition the council to have you executed as a follower of evil!”
"Certainly. Duelling miracles. You go first."

Nuts to the Bishop, convince the crowd.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

This is badass, but what's the combat rating of the bishop?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Socks4Hands posted:

This is badass, but what's the combat rating of the bishop?

Yeah, once again, are Priests actual combat characters since you're pulling from D&D, or are they entirely social creatures? If they don't have powers they can call upon, well, Zap!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Splicer posted:

This, but without the 'you go first'. The second he agrees to a duel ZAP him, he lost. Asherah doesn't waste time when something needs to be done, unlike Hurn.

If he declines a duel ZAP him as proof of a Miracle.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D - "FOOLS! YOU WOULD USE THE LAW AS A WEAPON AND FORCE THE HEADMAN TO DO WHAT YOU MAY NOT? LET'S SEE IF YOUR GOD WILL PROTECT THE FAITHLESS!" Then drain their bodies of every last drop of water with the power of our trident.

2. Sarga spent her weekends giving blessings to the faithful and spent the rest of the week at home recovering her mana and working on minor experiments that could be put aside if something big came up on the job. We let the beavers busy themselves with improvements to our home and the mine's infrastructure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

This, but without the 'you go first'. The second he agrees to a duel ZAP him, he lost. Asherah doesn't waste time when something needs to be done, unlike Hurn.

If he declines a duel ZAP him as proof of a Miracle.
I was thinking more dueling banjos than actual divinity combat. Hurn does a miracle, Asherah does a better miracle, etc. Hurn can do miracles, right? Nothing tricky to start, just make some fish, lightning a tree, hmm? :smugshark:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

"Prove to us Hurn is not dead!"

Sarga has been chilling and improving her bond with Bad Tidings, just going full Thor and flinging the thing around.