Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How Michigan State's culture fostered a sexual predator and masked assaults

High-School Coach ‘Ignored’ Boy’s Screams as Teammates Raped Him, Lawsuit Claims

Read this thread in which people bring up more cases of school sports violence and rape:
https://twitter.com/OliviaMesser/status/961981715970392064

Most other countries handle not having school sports teams while still having a competitive sports culture. Also most other countries don't have so much school rape being covered up to protect team spirit. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you're right that most countries don't have school sports, but that doesn't mean sports-related sex crimes don't happen there

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hmm, no.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I clicked the link thinking "this story is old as gently caress", but it turns out no, this is just another case of that exact same thing happening.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorry, wrong.

Abolish school sports and start a paid amateur league for those who want to become pro sports players instead of wasting their time taking fake classes at actual colleges that would rather burn large donations on sports gear than teaching students.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
imo sports are good and rape is bad, it's a complex issue.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Sorry, wrong.

Abolish school sports and start a paid amateur league for those who want to become pro sports players instead of wasting their time taking fake classes at actual colleges that would rather burn large donations on sports gear than teaching students.
better yet, bring in an academy system like big european soccer clubs where they actually teach kids poo poo in addition to making them better at a given sport. and don't charge money for it, or make it free for kids who can't afford it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

get that OUT of my face posted:

you're right that most countries don't have school sports, but that doesn't mean sports-related sex crimes don't happen there

The UK isn't a good example because they find a way to be pedophiles in every possible industry

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

better yet, bring in an academy system like big european soccer clubs where they actually teach kids poo poo in addition to making them better at a given sport. and don't charge money for it, or make it free for kids who can't afford it
those academy systems are for a tiny minority of players they want to recruit as a tax write off hth

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

State universities blowing all their money on athletics is a problem but I also wonder if they'd even be able to secure funding without them, particularly in red states. Normies might decide they'd rather cut taxes than have a liberal egghead institution if there's no "go Greenhawks" aspect

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
School sports foster community. They're the only reason a lot of people care about their local school at all. Think about that before you go all sportsball handegg on us.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thug Lessons posted:

School sports foster community. They're the only reason a lot of people care about their local school at all. Think about that before you go all sportsball handegg on us.

yeah a community of rape

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

At my high school the sports community was insular and most students didn't give a poo poo about pep rallies except as an excuse to get out of class. And I sure as heck don't know any alumni who are going to their old high school's games after graduating

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm not against having sports programs though, I just think it would be healthier to treat them like any other after school activity instead of being this special class that gets the most funding and takes precedence in everything, especially because that's kind of practice for how we treat the military compared to every other government institution :cosmicbrain:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

At my high school the sports community was insular and most students didn't give a poo poo about pep rallies except as an excuse to get out of class. And I sure as heck don't know any alumni who are going to their old high school's games after graduating

I was thinking more in terms of the team members, their friends, parents, etc.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

I was thinking more in terms of the team members, their friends, parents, etc.

That's a minority of students, and I'm not even sure about "their friends" because I was friends with a member of the high school football team and it didn't make me care any more about the teams. It did make me go to a few games but that was out of politeness, the same reason you'd go to a friend's play or concert

Also a better reason to care about the school is because you or your kids go there

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
an interesting magazine article would be a survey of youth sports institutional structures globally, like which countries run sports through the school system, which have locally-funded groups, where it's all private, where it's nationally run

i wouldn't know where to start tbh, if anybody is aware of something like this point it my way

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's a minority of students, and I'm not even sure about "their friends" because I was friends with a member of the high school football team and it didn't make me care any more about the teams. It did make me go to a few games but that was out of politeness, the same reason you'd go to a friend's play or concert

Also a better reason to care about the school is because you or your kids go there

IDK dude. You're downplaying it, but can you think of any other school programs that are anywhere close to as effective at building community? Yeah, like anything they're only going to engage a minority, but they also happen to be the best at doing that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
figures the bernie bro subforum wants to end any program that engages a minority

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

an interesting magazine article would be a survey of youth sports institutional structures globally, like which countries run sports through the school system, which have locally-funded groups, where it's all private, where it's nationally run

i wouldn't know where to start tbh, if anybody is aware of something like this point it my way

Yeah I really want to see something like this

Thug Lessons posted:

IDK dude. You're downplaying it, but can you think of any other school programs that are anywhere close to as effective at building community? Yeah, like anything they're only going to engage a minority, but they also happen to be the best at doing that.

All the after school programs built community for a minority about as well. Theatre kids, music kids, gaming kids, even kids taking the same foreign language, they were all tight with each other

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
abolish school sports, institute weekly school phalanx drill as physical education

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jBrereton posted:

imo sports are good and rape is bad, it's a complex issue.

maybe if you really put your dick in it, you could have sports without rape. one day

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

All the after school programs built community for a minority about as well. Theatre kids, music kids, gaming kids, even kids taking the same foreign language, they were all tight with each other

Sure. But when you're talking about America as an aggregate, who do you think does better at engaging community members, both students and parents: the sports program, or the theater-music-gaming-anime alliance? I agree that in some cases it gets out of hand and unfairly draws resources away from other programs, but I don't mind that it gets disproportionate weight when so many people are genuinely into it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

NEEEERRRRRRDS

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
way too many parents would gladly suffer their child’s nightly cry sessions for the sight of a ball being punted real high in the air and being able to say “That’s my son right there :smug:

CTE’s barely done poo poo and as demonstrated sports programs have been harboring sexual abuse for years

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Sure. But when you're talking about America as an aggregate, who do you think does better at engaging community members, both students and parents: the sports program, or the theater-music-gaming-anime alliance? I agree that in some cases it gets out of hand and unfairly draws resources away from other programs, but I don't mind that it gets disproportionate weight when so many people are genuinely into it.

Well every parent goes to watch their kids in performances plus they don't yell at them to act harder or drive home in shame if they hit the wrong note. I don't know if sports "engages community members" better than other after-school activities but I do know it doesn't cause people to care about anything other than the sports themselves

Also non-sports after school programs aren't all in alliance together to take down sports and that's a bizarre idea

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway I forgot to post this earlier:

*Coach voice* it builds character

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
sports are good

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny to see people be so blindly defensive about sports in a thread where actually, they're bad, and here's why, from mass rape that goes unpunished to brain destroying CTEs

But ah well don't wanna look like a nerd, online

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well every parent goes to watch their kids in performances plus they don't yell at them to act harder or drive home in shame if they hit the wrong note. I don't know if sports "engages community members" better than other after-school activities but I do know it doesn't cause people to care about anything other than the sports themselves

Also non-sports after school programs aren't all in alliance together to take down sports and that's a bizarre idea

Isn't that just a stereotype though? My impression is that more kids have positive sports experiences rather than vicarious-football shoutdads.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Isn't that just a stereotype though? My impression is that more kids have positive sports experiences rather than vicarious-football shoutdads.

Dunno. It wasn't really my main point

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
athletes are better than nerds and I encourage them to bully their inferior classmates

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dunno. It wasn't really my main point

Your main point seems to be really resistant to the idea that there's any special place for sports, and school sports specifically, in American culture. At least not anything that other activities don't have. Which strikes me as bizarre.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Your main point seems to be really resistant to the idea that there's any special place for sports, and school sports specifically, in American culture. At least not anything that other activities don't have. Which strikes me as bizarre.

Well my point in that specific post was that sports tend to engage parents with sports and not the school as a whole. But yes I do believe ideally athletics shouldn't be more important than any other after school program, because they don't do more good than other programs do

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well my point in that specific post was that sports tend to engage parents with sports and not the school as a whole. But yes I do believe ideally athletics shouldn't be more important than any other after school program, because they don't do more good than other programs do

I wouldn't want to overplay how much they're engaging with the school as a whole. But it is, still, the most prominent engagement of local schools with the community, which has to be worth something. I think it's pretty subjective how much good they're doing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It sounds less like you're talking about team athletics and more like you're talking about rec centers, which I'm extremely in favor of

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

went to school in Jersey and this was my exact experience

going down to Texas and seeing how invested people are in it is loving nuts

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah this might be hard to get if you don't live down South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
School sports are dumb but if you didn’t have them The South might spend money on something besides producing a permanent GOP underclass

• Locked thread