Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Shark Sandwich posted:

School sports are dumb but if you didn’t have them The South might spend money on something besides producing a permanent GOP underclass

These are narrow-minded prejudices. Athletics is a great and humanistic pursuit. You're not as different from the Southern underclass you hold in contempt as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

These are narrow-minded prejudices. Athletics is a great and humanistic pursuit. You're not as different from the Southern underclass you hold in contempt as you think.

I don’t blame them tho. Said underclass didn’t have much of a say in the matter. I just think multi-million dollar stadia for high schools is a modern day “bread and circus”

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

abolish school sports, institute weekly school phalanx drill as physical education

Handing everyone a halberd would either fix the rape problem or make it a lot worse and there's only one way to find out which.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
OP this is your website isn't it?

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
I had an act essay question about whether or not mandatory participation in school sports would be good or bad. So I wrote a ridiculous essay on how mandatory athletics would create a class divide and people would be throwing footballs through windows and burning effigies of John Madden in nonathletic people's front yards. Ended up getting a couple points shy of a perfect score for it.

So school sports is bad.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Shark Sandwich posted:

I don’t blame them tho. Said underclass didn’t have much of a say in the matter. I just think multi-million dollar stadia for high schools is a modern day “bread and circus”

I'm in favor of sports, not hubristic excess.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

shove me like you do posted:

I had an act essay question about whether or not mandatory participation in school sports would be good or bad. So I wrote a ridiculous essay on how mandatory athletics would create a class divide and people would be throwing footballs through windows and burning effigies of John Madden in nonathletic people's front yards. Ended up getting a couple points shy of a perfect score for it.

So school sports is bad.

I mean swap out Madden for Paterno and you have State College, PA

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
gently caress man look at these hosed up sex scandals sports suck rear end. good thing we are free of these sick perverts in wholesome places like politics, education, corporations, entertainment, families,

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Comrayn posted:

gently caress man look at these hosed up sex scandals sports suck rear end. good thing we are free of these sick perverts in wholesome places like politics, education, corporations, entertainment, families,

The common thread in all of these is someone having way too much power

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The common thread in all of these is someone having way too much power

down with the bourgeois parents lift up the child working class

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Comrayn posted:

down with the bourgeois parents lift up the child working class

The family version of "too much power" is when parents' rights supersede those of children, particularly treating kids as property and anything done to them as a private matter. And also in large family systems where there's an actual patriarch, but that doesn't happen as much in modern times outside Utah

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Sounds like teenagers getting head trauma is a problem almost exclusive to american football, OP. And like others already said, rape can happen in basically any environment where there's an imbalance of power and lack of protections, so I dunno why sports in particular would be special?

If you're just criticizing a for-profit system that leads students to try pursuing a sports career instead of getting an academic degree, it seems better to focus on that instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
you can get the same kinds of brain damage playing rugby or soccer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fun fact: women's hockey, a noncontact sport, has more concussions than football

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
is there any solution “liberals” like the op have to anything that isn’t “ban it.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OP definitely seems mad that they had to so the 100m sprint in high school and it took them 30 seconds while screaming "I'm having a heart attack" in between sobs.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

GalacticAcid posted:

athletes are better than nerds and I encourage them to bully their inferior classmates

If GamerGate showed us something, it showed us that the jocks were right all along. Nerds are terrible people with a persecution complex. Also, :goonsay: abolish school sports is the gooniest thing I've read all day.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

is there any solution “liberals” like the op have to anything that isn’t “ban it.”
my solution is to stop giving colleges and high schools stadiums worth millions of dollars in lieu of actual education, stop making coaches the highest-paid state employees, and stop treating athletes as privileged people that are above discipline and punishment

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Doc Neutral posted:

If GamerGate showed us something, it showed us that the jocks were right all along. Nerds are terrible people with a persecution complex. Also, :goonsay: abolish school sports is the gooniest thing I've read all day.

:hmmyes:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thug Lessons posted:

I work with 3 ex-HS football players and they're all fat alcoholics with literally no friends. Small sample size but whatever.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Crew, cross county, golf, track & field, swimming, there are plenty of high school sports that carry little to no risk of concussion.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

nba is good, ncaa is unwatchable and basically total exploitation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

my solution is to stop giving colleges and high schools stadiums worth millions of dollars in lieu of actual education, stop making coaches the highest-paid state employees, and stop treating athletes as privileged people that are above discipline and punishment

:agreed:

Also college athletes should be paid.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
school sports taught me how to win a ton of fights but even though I appreciate that it's obvious all public schools should have their sports shut down and private schools stop getting federal backed student loan money

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

fun fact: women's hockey, a noncontact sport, has more concussions than football

Imagine thinking of hockey as a noncontact sport

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Doc Neutral posted:

It's also pretty goony to talk about nerds and jocks after high school

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Note that I didn't say abolish phys ed, I said abolish school sports, and the examples I've posted should show you what I'm talking about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Imagine thinking of hockey as a noncontact sport
women play it noncontact for reasons that i don't understand (probably rooted in sexism and the belief that they're the physically weaker gender). ditto lacrosse

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

women play it noncontact for reasons that i don't understand (probably rooted in sexism and the belief that they're the physically weaker gender). ditto lacrosse

Sounds like a much healthier version, to be honest.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sounds like a much healthier version, to be honest.
you'd think, but

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
take all the football money and put it towards something either academic or lowering tuitions

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

But more than men'scontact hockey?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
holy moley this thread is awful

abolish school sports because of the actions of people in south texas? that's loving stupid

god drat it, i hate saying this poo poo: there are hundreds of millions of people in this country, a nation the size of europe, with all kinds of cultural, economic, and geographical diversity.

its banning soccer in norway because of some bullshit that happened in croatia.

and i didn't even play a lot of school sports. i did theater.

which makes this sound even more dumb and out of touch:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well every parent goes to watch their kids in performances plus they don't yell at them to act harder or drive home in shame if they hit the wrong note. I don't know if sports "engages community members" better than other after-school activities but I do know it doesn't cause people to care about anything other than the sports themselves

you have no idea what its like for various people in situations different from your own. just absolutely no clue.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
school sports as they currently are, seems more like a way for schools to vie for prestige through winning tournaments/competitions, rather than a personal health or communal/social activity

which is I think why bad coaches are tolerated, or kids are pressured into putting so much time into their game (and therefore becoming too dependent on/exposed to authority figures in these areas)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
basically, there needs to be a hard demarcation between professional athletics, as a career path for talented young people, and school sports. adults involved in the former have to be strictly vetted and controlled through some national association, which would also involve rotating people around from school to school, to prevent long running scandals like this from festering

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

you have no idea what its like for various people in situations different from your own. just absolutely no clue.

You don't know more about it than I do

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

basically, there needs to be a hard demarcation between professional athletics, as a career path for talented young people, and school sports. adults involved in the former have to be strictly vetted and controlled through some national association, which would also involve rotating people around from school to school, to prevent long running scandals like this from festering

There'd definitely be some pushback to this because coaches are considered so characteristic of a team. Even moreso than the players themselves

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, and that's exactly the problem. scandals get ignored because winning competitions is more important than the safety of the players, and a bad coach that 'gets results' (or appears to get results) is valuable, in that competition for prestige. So issues get sidelined/ignored

players also know that their future success (in what many hope to be their career) depends on their coach being favorable to them, and that dependency also gets exploited.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
wait wait wait, american school sports have competitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
holy poo poo you have sports leagues for high schools. what the dicking gently caress guys? why would you do that?

• Locked thread