Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lollontee posted:

holy poo poo you have sports leagues for high schools. what the dicking gently caress guys? why would you do that?

Legitimate rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

here's a compromise: school sports but with no rape

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tennis supremacy, as always.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i literally do not understand what kind of a parent would say yes to linking their child's education to success in competetive sports. I'm not trying to be smug, but i am really a bit shocked that this is an actual thing in america

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

lollontee posted:

i literally do not understand what kind of a parent would say yes to linking their child's education to success in competetive sports. I'm not trying to be smug, but i am really a bit shocked that this is an actual thing in america
putting effort into, and being good at, sports is as valid as that but trig, imo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

here's a compromise: school sports but with no rape

I don't know man, that sounds hard. Can't we just ham-fistedly ban something instead?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shark Sandwich posted:

School sports are dumb but if you didn’t have them The South might spend money on something besides producing a permanent GOP underclass

:chloe:

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't know man, that sounds hard. Can't we just ham-fistedly ban something instead?

We should probably ban rape and exploiting child labor for profit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

We should probably ban rape and exploiting child labor for profit.

Why do you hate America? :reddit:

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

I played sports throughout highschool and no one ever got raped AMA

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I did high school sports and theater and very much enjoyed both

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
that’s my take on the situation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I did band and football, and occasionally when I'm back home in my small town I'll head to the football stadium with my parents and watch students from my old high school play football. Sometimes I'll even see a few of my old high school friends.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
holy poo poo dude stay safe

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

lollontee posted:

fyi, claiming to be interested in the child's education is just a fig leaf for the real interest: sports sports sports.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what if we unionize the high schoolers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

what if we unionize the high schoolers

No joke, Israel has a National Student and Youth Council and they will occasionally go on strikes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No joke, Israel has a National Student and Youth Council and they will occasionally go on strikes.
i'm sure the hard right government puts down those strikes gently

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
let's make stuffing nerds into lockers and trashcans a sport. it'll be like basketball but sometimes the ball goes WELL, ACTUALLY, before getting dunked

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

Isn't that just a stereotype though? My impression is that more kids have positive sports experiences rather than vicarious-football shoutdads.

this is true of most problems. i'm p sure most innocent people have more positive experiences with police officers than in dying unfairly in a hail of bullets, but that doesn't mean that the police are completely okay

like on the one hand, i'm pretty sure at least a slim majority of kids in sports programs don't get raped. on the other hand, i'm pretty sure spelling bees and community service groups have a lot less rapes per capita

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

lollontee posted:

For some poorer families, a scholarship is the only way of paying for their children's education.

If only their was some form of free education :thunk:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm sure the hard right government puts down those strikes gently

"whoops you just got drafted"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dreddout posted:

For some poorer families, a scholarship is the only way of paying for their children's education.

Oh! that's a good reason. it's still completely hosed up on every (otyher) possible level

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe we should abolish school altogether just to be safe

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Main Paineframe posted:

this is true of most problems. i'm p sure most innocent people have more positive experiences with police officers than in dying unfairly in a hail of bullets, but that doesn't mean that the police are completely okay

like on the one hand, i'm pretty sure at least a slim majority of kids in sports programs don't get raped. on the other hand, i'm pretty sure spelling bees and community service groups have a lot less rapes per capita

spelling bees are rape city, actually

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Smythe posted:

tennis supremacy, as always.

Bob Hewitt.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

you can get the same kinds of brain damage playing rugby or soccer

What kind of disingenuous poo poo is this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dreddout posted:

why do you think we have a military????

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Terrible.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tunicate posted:

why do you think we have a military????

For the kids that aren't good enough at sports, duh

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i wasnt pissed about school sports growing up, i was pissed as gently caress when those fuckers in the cafeteria took away our mother loving cheese fries

god drat, it was outrageous

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Good soup! posted:

i wasnt pissed about school sports growing up, i was pissed as gently caress when those fuckers in the cafeteria took away our mother loving cheese fries

god drat, it was outrageous

Thanks (Michelle) Obama

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

For the kids that aren't good enough at sports, duh

This reminded me of my first high school where my folks enrolled me into JROTC as an alternative to gym class because the head teacher of JROTC was a family friend. We just often did runs in our non-uniform days and occasionally went and lifted in the weight room, so it was essentially a gym class with a 4 day a week schedule and 1 day a week of pretending to learn about (I think) the Air Force. I did this to avoid being pressured to play football by the regular gym teacher because he was also the football coach and he pushed every large-ish boy to join the team, which also had rumors of the occasional underclassman getting raped in the locker room.

Good times. Probably the nicest thing that the DoD has ever done for me.

The Dipshit has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Apr 16, 2018

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
abolish all sports except for competitive overwatch

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

abolish schools, sports

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

most school sports are exploitative and bad but can we keep competitive rowing, that one is pretty cool and doesn't pose major injury risks and poo poo

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

lollontee posted:

holy poo poo you have sports leagues for high schools. what the dicking gently caress guys? why would you do that?

To give the normal kids who don't have debilitating asthma and grass allergies something to do

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

most school sports are exploitative and bad but can we keep competitive rowing, that one is pretty cool and doesn't pose major injury risks and poo poo

a kid on my school's team broke his arm so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tunicate posted:

a kid on my school's team broke his arm so

i am trying to picture how one could break their arm rowing and can't. like i'd love to hear the sequence of events that could lead to one doing this in either a sweeper or a sculling boat because it must have been an impressive series of failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
make all non contact sports full contact

• Locked thread