Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

Still hoping for a Switch port somewhere down the line...it ought to be feasible on that hardware, right?

It originally ran on the Dreamcast so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, so it's not out on PC until tomorrow? gently caress. :(

To be this good takes A G E S
To be this good takes S E G A

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I just started my Steam pre-load too. I’m glad I can download it overnight, I have a slow rural DSL connection that’s going to make it take about 10 hours to download, and I am SO! EXCITED! To play as soon as I can. :woop:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've never played this before. Preordered it for pc cause I heard the name many times while reading about Yakuza. I'm excited.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ryuga Death posted:

I've never played this before. Preordered it for pc cause I heard the name many times while reading about Yakuza. I'm excited.

Just brace yourself from something quite different than Yakuza. Shenmue is very slow comparatively. You'll spend most of your time running around asking people about your current quest line to get a lead on where to go next. Fights happen but they are sparse. However the world is very detailed and it can be an incredibly absorbing experience if you have the patience for what Shenmue is.

I would never dissuade someone from trying Shenmue, but at the same I'd have a hard time out and out recommending going into it blind in 2018. It was simply very ambitious and impressive for its time, and there's still nothing else quite like it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Just brace yourself from something quite different than Yakuza. Shenmue is very slow comparatively. You'll spend most of your time running around asking people about your current quest line to get a lead on where to go next. Fights happen but they are sparse. However the world is very detailed and it can be an incredibly absorbing experience if you have the patience for what Shenmue is.

I would never dissuade someone from trying Shenmue, but at the same I'd have a hard time out and out recommending going into it blind in 2018. It was simply very ambitious and impressive for its time, and there's still nothing else quite like it.

That's okay, I sort of expected it to be a slower experience based on what I've heard about it. I'm still excited to try it out, despite going into it blind. Thanks for the warning, still.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, as a fan of Shenmue, I’ve heard lately that it inspired the Yakuza games, which I’m not familiar with, but they seem very well loved. If I was looking to find a Let’s Play to introduce me to the series, which would be the best game to start with? My preference is for what recent game has the most sandboxy extra stuff. Thanks!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Catalina posted:

By the way, as a fan of Shenmue, I’ve heard lately that it inspired the Yakuza games, which I’m not familiar with, but they seem very well loved. If I was looking to find a Let’s Play to introduce me to the series, which would be the best game to start with? My preference is for what recent game has the most sandboxy extra stuff. Thanks!

Yakuza 0. You really owe it to yourself to play it, though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 3 release date announced! With a new trailer, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlqbGMuOws

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
After more than a decade, I can happily wait for another year. For now I'm interested in seeing how people that have never played the games before are responding to the re-releases of 1 & 2. It seems to be mostly positive.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So excited to get home and invest millions into capsule toys

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-TGrhfw_s

Digital Foundry did a video on the rerelease. The gist is that it's a solid port and the definitive way to play these games from now on. Any worries about missing shadows or such (I noticed that in some of the early footage too) can be thrown in the bin as well, the games look just as they should. The PC version had some glitches when running in ultra-widescreen, but according to Sega those problems would be fixed by launch.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s some sound issues and glitches on PS4 but this version is only on 1.01 whereas Xbox is on 1.03, so hopefully that’s remedied once Sony catches up.

Having such a good time revisiting these games.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I am torn. I am still really enjoying Graveyard Keeper and Yakuza Kiwami 2 comes next week, and Dragon Quest XI after that, but even just starting up 1 made me go oh, yeah, I do want to play this, don't I? I suppose as long as I do any time between now and 3 comes out it'll be fine. I never got past the book-stacking in 2, so I really do need to see the end of that one...

Catalina
May 20, 2008

atholbrose posted:

I am torn. I am still really enjoying Graveyard Keeper and Yakuza Kiwami 2 comes next week, and Dragon Quest XI after that, but even just starting up 1 made me go oh, yeah, I do want to play this, don't I? I suppose as long as I do any time between now and 3 comes out it'll be fine. I never got past the book-stacking in 2, so I really do need to see the end of that one...

Come on, you know you want to play with us! A Shenmue re-release only happens once in almost 20 years! I never got to the end of the QTE at the Ghost Hall Building in Shenmue 2 myself; we can do this! We can collect all the capsule toys!

man nurse posted:

Yakuza 0. You really owe it to yourself to play it, though.

Thank you. I most likely will, I'm highly interested, but I would like to check it out first.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man, I forgot how long and unfun the forklift stuff is. This is pretty brutal.

I suppose that’s the price to pay to get to Shenmue 2.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Never played these before but I'm lovin it.

Cept for when I was just listening to tapes while waiting for night to come at the harbor and when it played the day/night transition cutscene it wouldn't let me exit the tape playing screen and then the game crashed.

So uhh, don't do that I guess.

But other then that its good stuff.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Catalina posted:

I never got to the end of the QTE at the Ghost Hall Building in Shenmue 2 myself; we can do this!
Protip for anyone who hasn't played the game before or just didn't know: You can save between the QTEs.

I have done the Ghost Hall Building section without saving (on my first playthrough, I thought you could only save in Ryo's room), but that is most definitely not recommended. :unsmigghh:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 22, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
How are the controls on PC? I forgot to bring my controller with me on this trip I'm on

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Is there a master list of the easily missable events somewhere? Like the one on Disc 2 where if you go into the altar room, you can see flowers that Nozomi left at Ryo's dad's alter? Or even just little things, like after new years some of the female characters on the street wearing traditional kimono? Things that you'd probably miss if you only did one playthrough.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

God drat it. I would have a platinum in Shenmue 1 but the trophy for sparring with Fuku-san never popped up despite my doing it several times during my playthrough. That’s annoying.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Haha oh wow, so for some reason none of the cutscenes are playing correctly so far and I think it was because I examined the sign to the bathroom in the Hazuki home.

I got the kitchen flashback and then when I went to read the letter, it just cut to the bathroom door in first person. The flashback by the tree just had the camera super far back at the pathway like im standing 30 yards away. The camera did the same thing when I talked to Fuku-san. (I have screenshots but it appears my internet connection is 100mb down and less than 10 kb up, thanks direcpath)

lol gonna have to reload it and try it later

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It’s 2003, I’ve downloaded a trailer for Shenmue 3 on Kazaa, and I’m here to say it looks incredible guys.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Excuse me.

Hmm, yes?

Do you know anything about the Shenmue thread on the Something Awful forums?

Ah...the Shenmue thread? I'm much too tired to talk about that. Ask me again later.

I see...

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 2 crashed on me while I was running around Beverley Hills Wharf. Thankfully I had saved right before it happened. Remember, there's no auto save, so throw up a manual save often!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can you actually beat the fight with kung fu Gollum in the arcade? I've never gotten more than couple of hits in.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
So I haven't really had time to put into Shenmue yet, but so far I'm really enjoying the cheesy voice acting.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

on the flip side, I'm enjoying playing Shenmue I with Japanese voice acting for the first time, I don't think I can make it through it English again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same though I might play 2 in English since the DC release only had Japanese :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only played a tiny bit of Shenmue II on the DC, I remember downloading disc images from the European release that retained the Japanese voiceovers and some emulation group had to downsize the audio so it could fit on CD-R's and, man, if you think the sound quality of the voice work was bad in the original, the ripped version, jesus christ :whitewater:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Can you actually beat the fight with kung fu Gollum in the arcade? I've never gotten more than couple of hits in.

You can but it’s pretty much intended for you to lose. Not much changes except you don’t lose the rest of the day or whatever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gaaah, thank god for save scumming in the Ghost Hall Building. Some elements of these games are really going to test the patience of anyone going in blind today. The forklift stuff and the book carrying stuff in particular are excruciating in how long they go on for.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Good soup! posted:

on the flip side, I'm enjoying playing Shenmue I with Japanese voice acting for the first time, I don't think I can make it through it English again

i turned it on initially because it's 100x better and much higher quality audio but then i realized half the nostalgic fun of this game is the hilarious english VA so i switched it back

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*in very Ryo tone* I see. See you later. *spends 5 seconds trying to turn around properly*

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It ain't Shenmue if characters aren't going OHHH HELLO, DIO

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Just finished Shenmue 1 for the first time, loved it. Even the forklifting.

Pumped for 2 because I always hear its a much bigger better game.

Any tips before I start it later tonight? I remember someone saying I should sell my carried over capsule toys right away?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ceramics posted:

Just finished Shenmue 1 for the first time, loved it. Even the forklifting.

Pumped for 2 because I always hear its a much bigger better game.

Any tips before I start it later tonight? I remember someone saying I should sell my carried over capsule toys right away?

Early on you're going to get mugged, and lose all your cash. It's smart to convert your money into either lighters or capsule toys, then sell them later at the pawn shop.

I don't think selling your carried over toys right away makes much sense, but someone in thread might know something I don't.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Early on you're going to get mugged, and lose all your cash. It's smart to convert your money into either lighters or capsule toys, then sell them later at the pawn shop.

I don't think selling your carried over toys right away makes much sense, but someone in thread might know something I don't.

Thanks that was most likely what it was.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Specifically, you'll want the Jackal and Scorpion lighters being sold right where you get off the boat. Spend all your money on them. Then after you get mugged, find a pawnshop that offers a good payout on them. I found one that gave me like 30-something per lighter.

Different pawnshops accept different capsule toys for different amounts of money, so search around for that, too, if you want to maximize. Having a decent amount of money will save you a lot of time later on because it's required to advance the plot at several points. Hang on to as much as you can.

Also, never pay the guy at the Come Over Guest House, even when he asks. He'll hassle you but you can stay for free every single night.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I was killing time waiting for the Heartbeats Bar to open, so I had Ryo drink soda for two hours. The nostalgia of it made me really laugh, having to wait around for a sailors event, and getting frustrated with buying like 10 sodas and not even getting a winning can.

• Locked thread