Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Everything I’ve heard is the game is very slow and linear for the first 3-4 hours before something happens and it blows wide open so probably something to keep in mind if anybody is bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Feenix posted:

This. AAA games are *usually* "everyone needs to see the end" games. And often tuned that way.

this is the best development in modern games

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The witch’s sanctuary was breathtaking, especially when you get to her actual house

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the combat is awesome other than I cannot loving remember that L2 is throw and L1 is shield. I throw my axe on accident probably 90% of the time

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like a dumbass but I can rarely find all 3 tunes for the runic magic chests. I’ve just gave up on half of them

same. I was obsessively doing them for a while but it’s been 3 or 4 in a row now I’ve just given up because I can’t figure out how to hit all three in time

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

So does the kid lose the ability to light up blue crystals when he gets the ability to get rid of the red crap? Or am I missing something?

Press up on the D pad to switch his arrow type

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I imagine people who can’t wrap their heads around kratos and boy’s familial dynamic must’ve had Cool Fun Dads/are “my father is my hero” types

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

fuckk, the part where you go home to dig up the blades of chaos is loving awesome. Athena appearing to talk poo poo was awesome.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just finished the story. hot drat

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I took it as more that much like not knowing he was a god was causing him some real physical harm, there’s some sort of real change, including psychological, in knowing you’re a God. And that part of godhood is being a gigantic loving insolent prick, and only a few learn to tame it and become mature/responsible in spite of their nature.

Like how going to the dark side in Star Wars amplifies all your worst tendencies and turns you into a megalomaniac.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Something I keep thinking about is how this game has made Kratos one of my favorite video game characters. It’s not because they rebooted him because they didn’t, it’s because they went back and dug out every single bit of depth from his character and instead of cutting out the bad they examined it and made sense of it in a mature competent and modern way.

Can’t believe God of War has depth in 2018 lmao I love this poo poo

Me too. I didn’t really care much for the previous games’ stories and definitely thought Kratos was loving lame. This game has made him one of my favorite characters, and it does it without undermining any of those previous games

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I have no chance against the fire realm Valkyrie. Good god. I can’t even get a quarter of her health knocked off.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Philthy posted:

Beat it finally. I'd rate it as one of the best games I've played. If Netflix gets behind Jason Momoa playing Kratos and Sony gets on board, it's going to be loving amazing.

wait what

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

CodeJanitor posted:

I like how the game has you the player beating the poo poo out of a man that has bipolar disorder and other severe mental disorders caused by the abuse throughout his life from his overbearing mom and batshit evil father. You then proceed to choke the man in front of his mother then outright murder him, again, in front of his begging mother and...

IN FRONT OF, AND WITH THE HELP OF, YOUR KID

Then something something dump some ashes and
end on a note that we can sell dlc and expansion packs until Ragnarok.

I'll mark it up, sorry

that is the climax and ending of the game yes

though I feel like somebody summing up GoW as “something something dump some ashes”as a criticism may not be playing the game in good faith

there’s no dlc or expansion packs coming

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's portraying them all in the worst light. Baldur was so loved by all of creation that after he died, all but one thing mourned his death, and if everything had, he would be restored to life.

i guess, they’re not real though so one interpretation is about as valid as the other. god of war as a series tends to operate from the perspective that the conventional myths are from and by the perspective of the gods and are written to glorify them, whereas GoW interprets them from the perspective of man who doesn’t give a poo poo if they’re gods Who Do They Think They Are God Dammit and is right in doing so

a dude who can’t feel pain turning into a real dickhead is such a common interpretation of that power in fiction honestly it’s weirder to me to imagine how Baldur could possibly be a nice guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Listening to the audiobook while I drive around for work today. Pretty good, though while it’s awesome to hear Mimir telling the story it is a bit weird when he does his imitation of Kratos’ voice.

Edit: also a lot of the dialogue is slightly changed pretty much universally for the worse. Wonder if they were working off an earlier script.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2018