Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I love that they're taking the piss out of comic books just by portraying ridiculous comic book characters almost entirely accurately.

Almost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Domino is one of my favourite characters and I'm really glad she'll be in this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gatts posted:

a movie that visually looks like the next best thing since Ang Lee's Hulk and the Snyderverse, that seems to be genuinely funny unlike the Marvel movies (including Thor 3),

lol

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope they keep his crazy Mojoverse background and everyone else just goes "Okay, cool" and moves on without ever mentioning it again. :v:

i want mojo in one of these flicks bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 22, 2018

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
I think that just having a guy who goes around calling himself Shatterstar and dressing the way he does being played completely straight is probably the funniest way that they could handle the character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems implied that Cable is basically the Terminator. Fitting?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Guy Mann posted:

A part of me is kind of hoping that all the team-building stuff they're showing off in the trailer goes the way of the first act of Macgruber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To4i-BMwQH8

Oohhh... I wish Macgruber could be in this movie. Macgruber was just as unexpectedly awesome as Deadpool was and I wish more people knew.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JBP posted:

Domino is one of my favourite characters and I'm really glad she'll be in this.

Just from what I've seen in the trailers, she'll probably steal the show and I could easily see a spin off solo movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just from what I've seen in the trailers, she'll probably steal the show and I could easily see a spin off solo movie.

I can't be bothered to look it up, but they added more to Domino in reshoots precisely because the test audiences not only loved her, but wanted more of her.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
So which team member is going to die almost immediately as a gag? Peter or Shatterstar? Kinda hoping Peter just pulls his weight and helps out in the movie. Killing him seems like it'd be offing a puppy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a lovely king posted:

So which team member is going to die almost immediately as a gag? Peter or Shatterstar? Kinda hoping Peter just pulls his weight and helps out in the movie. Killing him seems like it'd be offing a puppy.

If you don't mind a supposed leak, Peter, Shatterstar, and Bedlam all get killed in about five minutes. The real supporting cast is Domino, Colossus, Negasonic, and Surge.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If this movie is good and makes dough and if Domino gets hype enough for a spinoff I think they might as well give the X-Universe to Reynolds' group. They seem to know what they're doing and the characters are good, especially what they did with Colossus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if Shatterstar bites it, they're probably going to get some backlash, but... frankly, based on those leaks, I get the impression they really don't care and may in fact be trying to invite as much backlash as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if Shatterstar bites it, they're probably going to get some backlash, but... frankly, based on those leaks, I get the impression they really don't care and may in fact be trying to invite as much backlash as possible.

Why would that detail invite backlash? I'm not very familiar with the comics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Why would that detail invite backlash? I'm not very familiar with the comics.

dude's mostly known for being one of the first semi-prominent gay characters in superhero comics. killing off gay characters in a perfunctory fashion is something that tends to draw backlash. i think the NTW stuff will probably soften that blow, but if those leaks are true then prepare for some people to be pretty annoyed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

dude's mostly known for being one of the first semi-prominent gay characters in superhero comics. killing off gay characters in a perfunctory fashion is something that tends to draw backlash. i think the NTW stuff will probably soften that blow, but if those leaks are true then prepare for some people to be pretty annoyed.

Ah, I did not know that about Shatterstar.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
They may also just bring him back in a subsequent film and never mention it, because that's a good and funny joke. I'm laughing now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In a super violent movie with multiple gay characters I'm pretty sure you can kill one off and it's not going to start a shitstorm. Especially when nobody IRL has heard of Shatterstar and they may not even mention he's gay in the movie.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Ah, I did not know that about Shatterstar.

He's actually bisexual (e: also pansexual) :goonsay:, but also Shatterstar and his sexuality are the definition of :can:

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 23, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/989836139296063489

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
What I want out of the sequel:

* Actually pushing the boundaries for real, and not the mamby pamby "you can totally cut yourself on all of this EDGE" of the first movie.
* Unmasked Deadpool actually looking hideous, and not Ryan Reynolds in Freddy Krueger makeup.
* White and Yellow Subtitles that argue with one another, a la the White and Yellow Text Boxes.
* Deadpool sitting down Nega Teenage Sonic Warhead and another female character to have a conversation and then declaring that the movie passes the Bedechel Test.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

a lovely king posted:

Given Zeitgeist’s comic backstory, (he was introduced in Milligan/Allred’s X-Force), my money’s on him, since that iteration had a rather high... turnover rate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Given Zeitgeist’s comic backstory, (he was introduced in Milligan/Allred’s X-Force), my money’s on him, since that iteration had a rather high... turnover rate.

Or Bedlam, since if Surge is accurate to her comics depiction she basically duplicates his EMP field.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dotchan posted:

What I want out of the sequel:
L
* White and Yellow Subtitles that argue with one another, a la the White and Yellow Text Boxes.

Daniel Way didn’t know how to write Deadpool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't feel the movie was necessarily pushing boundaries or at least not as making a statement out of it, just to revel in an anarchic, brutally slapstick, cartoony sense of humour, which is a big contrast from the intensely straight-faced with token comic relief formula of most superhero movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dotchan posted:

* Deadpool sitting down Nega Teenage Sonic Warhead and another female character to have a conversation and then declaring that the movie passes the Bedechel Test.

that'd be a great gag. unfortunately a joke that's just some permutation of gently caress will be there instead it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dotchan posted:

The first one did something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoJA19y2AA

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dotchan posted:

* Actually pushing the boundaries for real, and not the mamby pamby "you can totally cut yourself on all of this EDGE" of the first movie.

did we watch the same movie?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope they keep his crazy Mojoverse background and everyone else just goes "Okay, cool" and moves on without ever mentioning it again. :v:

https://twitter.com/peterw_1974/status/989912283550699521?s=21

According to Peter that may be the case.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm getting Zoolander vibes. Or Dayman.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

a lovely king posted:

I don't expect Peter to survive the skydiving.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

peter is the piss take of hawkeye/black widow and will valliantly do some mundane task given the same scene weight as anything the actual superheroes and people making the plot move are doing i hope

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope Bob is there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

a lovely king posted:

I would be shocked if the entire joke isn't him actually pulling his weight.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

basic hitler posted:

peter is the piss take of hawkeye/black widow and will valliantly do some mundane task given the same scene weight as anything the actual superheroes and people making the plot move are doing i hope

Yeah there's just so many jokes they could do with him as they get into get more and more ludicrously dangerous situations, I can't see them dumping him for one quick joke early on when they could keep mining that vein throughout the entire movie.

On the other hand they've gone to a fair bit of effort building him up before the film comes out which would make it even more funnier if they offed him super quick.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MiddleOne posted:

I would be shocked if the entire joke isn't him actually pulling his weight.

Peter is 100% going to get poo poo done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Great Lakes Avengers crossover and it's actually Mr Immortal.

Going by the usual gag with these characters, his superpower will be common sense and willingness to try to talk things out like a sensible person every now and again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Suicide Squad completely bungled the joke of offing Slipknot at the beginning and then running into a bunch of problems that could be solved with fancy rope-tying skills but I trust Deadpool to handle it better.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I never thought the first Deadpool looked all that interesting, but I saw the trailer for the 2nd and it seemed pretty rad. So I checked out the 1st yesterday and, yeah, it's OK but not great. The action was pretty dang good and most of the jokes landed, but it didn't push things far enough and despite it's claims to be "Not your momma's superhero movie" it still had the blandest, most cliche superhero plot out there.

So hopefully the trailer is accurate in that they just push the craziness to the max and actually fulfill the potential.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Guy Mann posted:

Suicide Squad completely bungled the joke of offing Slipknot at the beginning and then running into a bunch of problems that could be solved with fancy rope-tying skills but I trust Deadpool to handle it better.

I haven’t seen Suicide Squad and really have no desire to, but did they seriously do that? I read a plot summary about Captain Boomerang convincing him the bombs are BS and Slipknot’s head explodes, but did they run into poo poo where ‘oh no! If only we could tie a bowline knot! None of us can do that!’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven’t seen Suicide Squad and really have no desire to, but did they seriously do that? I read a plot summary about Captain Boomerang convincing him the bombs are BS and Slipknot’s head explodes, but did they run into poo poo where ‘oh no! If only we could tie a bowline knot! None of us can do that!’

No.

• Locked thread