Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. Do A while we begin plotting how we will use these two as important components in a sorcerous ritual to destroy the bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

D. We're a kid and that bird was REALLY SCARY you guys and these people are mean and not our family!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I am stuck one airport or another for then next 12 hours so if you would like to ask Jub questions now would be a good time!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A
Write in:
Laugh about the bird too. We survived, after all.

+1

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Anticheese posted:

D. We're a kid and that bird was REALLY SCARY you guys and these people are mean and not our family!

:yeah:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A
Write in:
Laugh about the bird too. We survived, after all.

Ah hell, why not. If we're laughin' we're not cryin', right?

(extremely Ron Howard voice) "They were wrong."

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
A

It seems like these birds can be distracted by clams... Do we ever eat the birds? Maybe we could set a trap for one? What about its eggs?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PyroDwarf posted:

It seems like these birds can be distracted by clams... Do we ever eat the birds? Maybe we could set a trap for one? What about its eggs?

“The birds only go for clams after the storm season ends. We eat them if Bah Te’s family can catch them, they can be swift when they want to be. You would have to talk to Bah Te’ about traps and eggs, I have never seen one.”

malbogio posted:

+Ask about weapons.

You are going to need to be a bit more specific since that is fairly broad.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A. Laugh along

Jub, who is your friend? What kind of ritual will I face? What would you do to get rid of the big bird?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

A. Laugh along

Jub, who is your friend? What kind of ritual will I face? What would you do to get rid of the big bird?

“That, child” he says pointing the large man still wiping away tears “is Bah Te’. His family hunts along the shores and foolishly ventures into the shrub lands outside the village.”

“Tonight you will be given your name, we can not go on referring to you as ‘child’ for much longer. ”

He shrugs “Throw a rock at it, yell, have Bah Te’ kill it if it was particularly bothersome.”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SerSpook posted:

1. Do A while we begin plotting how we will use these two as important components in a sorcerous ritual to destroy the bird.

A, and vow to kill and eat that bird, so that all know what happens when we are crossed.

And let's hope some villagers also cross us, so that my plan to become a secret cannibal may come to fruition

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
C, you're fed up and maybe a bit petty, but not outright angry at Jub.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

You are going to need to be a bit more specific since that is fairly broad.

"Hello good sirs. I can't help noticing the village is surrounded by murder birds which might get in the way of my chores. Alas I am too small to adequately defend myself with my bare hands. Do you have any hand-me-down hatchets, spears, or even daggers which I might use to protect myself from becoming some wild animal's dinner? I understand I could just stay inside of the village, but I follow the orders of all the impulsive voices in my head so that isn't happening."

Alternately:

"I don't like the birds. They're big and scary and hurt my hand. I wish I had a sharp beak like theirs. I don't want to go back on the beach unless I can make the bird go away. Can one of you teach me to fight the bird so I can do my chores better?"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

malbogio posted:

Alternately:

"I don't like the birds. They're big and scary and hurt my hand. I wish I had a sharp beak like theirs. I don't want to go back on the beach unless I can make the bird go away. Can one of you teach me to fight the bird so I can do my chores better?"

Jub scratches the back of his head “I might have an old knife lying around the hut that you can use if you can find it.”

His face becomes neutral as he answers your next question. “ I dont ‘fight’. If you want to learn how to stalk and kill you should make a deal with Bah Te’. You would have to balance his lessons with mine, of course.”

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Thread Update

So I am now out of country for my research and will be for the next 10 or so weeks. Once my research actually kicks off next week Ill be aiming to have an update up once a week, likely on Saturday nights.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Jub scratches the back of his head “I might have an old knife lying around the hut that you can use if you can find it.”

His face becomes neutral as he answers your next question. “ I dont ‘fight’. If you want to learn how to stalk and kill you should make a deal with Bah Te’. You would have to balance his lessons with mine, of course.”

So we can multiclass into Hunter. Neat!

Mostly I’m just glad we’re getting access to a force multiplying tool as we’re tiny. Maybe we can search for it after the ceremony.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting will close in 2 hours

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A + Laughter

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vote closed

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well I would have voted for A+laughter anyway so there you go!

Good luck with your research duder!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ill try to get an update out sometime tomorrow.

Hexenritter posted:

Good luck with your research duder!

Thank you. It is already 106 degrees which has been fun.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Telsa Cola posted:

Ill try to get an update out sometime tomorrow.

Thank you. It is already 106 degrees which has been fun.

Gross. I did door to door sales for a bit in 100% humidity and 100 degree weather.

Lost like 65 lbs. in 4 months.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Going to put out the update tomorrow morning. I had to stop editing due to humidity concerns. Im attempting to not get CYOA cursed while I am abroad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The combination exhaustion and all the stress leaving your body at once causes you to break out in several fits of slightly hysterical laughter, your giggles joining the fading laughs of Bah Te'. The absurdity of the events of the past couple days finally hits you and you cant help but laugh. You after all, were hide from and were chased by a large, clam eating bird. Something you never knew existed before today.

After laughing you hand the bag over to Jub, he and Bah Te' are looking at you somewhat perturbed after your outburst. Jub hefts the bag slightly as if checking the weight and seems satisfied for now. After answering your questions he gestures to the huts. "Come, let us get you fed". You and Jub wave good bye to Bah Te' who waves back. As you walk off you see him reach behind a nearby palm tree and pull out an extremely thick pole, tipped with a black and shiny blade the size of your foot. Hefting it onto his shoulder with ease he wanders off.

You and Jub make your way to Jub's hut, the structure still defying common conventions of structural integrity. Inside, Jub sits you down on the bed and gives you a bundle of fish and a cup of water, you down both eagerly. The meal makes you realize how tired you are, and your heavy eyelids quickly drag you down to sleep. As you fall asleep you watch Jub start his examination of your last bag.

You dream of large birds and the little People they chase.

You are shaken awake after what feels like a few moments, though the dark night sky apparent through the holes in Jub's hut informs you that hours have passed. Jub is standing nearby, waiting for you to awaken fully. As you groggily look around you notice that the bags of clams are gone, and a small pile of clams has taken their place in Jub's work area. The three large clams you collected and managed to keep are laid along the hut wall to the side of your bed, separated out from the others. He notices your glance and says he will talk to you about the clams in the morning, stating that for now you must focus on the ceremony. As you sit up you he hands you a dripping bag and tells you to put on the items found within.

Inside is a heap of rags that could be kindly described as a tunic and set of pants. The items have been soaked in sea water and shredded by some tremendous force, the fragments crudely sown back together. As you put the items on, the wet leather clinging to your skin, you realize that despite the items state of disrepair they are perfectly sized for you. Before you can discern more Jub grunts and gestures towards the doorway, it seems it is time to leave. He ducks out and you follow him onto the sand.

The stars and the moons fill the night sky, bathing the beach and village in a soft light. Behind the huts to your right you spot the flicker of a fire, and it is towards this Jub walks. As you pass by the huts you see the source of the flames. The tremendous fire pit you saw earlier is now filled with roaring flames, thick logs and branches burning fiercely away and casting strange shadows onto the shell mound. Jub leads you to a spot which places you between the mound and the fire spit and motions for you to stay before he leaves. The fire's warmth begins to dry your clothes, but the somehow never become fully dry.

As you stare into the flames you here a skittering above and behind you. Turning around you spot the mound's resident crab, eyeing you briefly before it fades into the darkness. You are not quiet sure you will ever get used to its stares, they seem.. probing. Further motion spotted from the corner of your eyes draws your attention back to the fire pit. Several small groups of people emerge from the darkness and take up places around the pit, you only recognize Bah Te' who is leading the largest group of all, placed opposite of you.

While the groups get settled around the fire you begin fidgeting nervously, the presence of such a large group of unknown people making you nervous. When the groups final finish their positioning Jub emerges from the darkness to your right and takes up position next to you. His presence calms you slightly though you still fidget from time to time. He begins to speak.

"The time has come to give a First Name to this child, who came onto our shores and into the tribe two nights ago."

He takes a breath and you notice him flicking something into the fire. He begins speaking again and the flames begin to change colors.

"The songs passed down by our ancestors tell us a great land to the west, past the Great Bay and the ocean, farther than any of the families has sailed in recent memory. The songs tell us of many many tribes cast out adrift onto the currents of the world, and of the four who landed here, where are village now stands. Protected by the Bay but in a new land the tribes worked together and lived as one, each contributing to the survival of the group in the manner they best could."

He points to the various groups around the fire as he speaks.

"The Muwan's offered the knowledge of the sea and it's bounty to the tribes, while the Aj-Ahin offered their knowledge of the land. The Yak'ab Tun provided the results of their craft to help contribute to the tribes survival. In this way each tribe provided something and received something in return"

He gestures to you, and everyone turns and stares at you. Your fidgeting stops.

"The storms have brought a new tribe to our shores. A child cast out onto the currents of the world , just as our ancestors were. And just as our ancestors the child has shown that they are willing to contribute to the tribe. By right of adoption I have declared that the child will learn the Ways of Finding, and by right of adoption I declare that it is time the child be given it's First Name."

Another flick of his wrist and another burst of color rises from the flames.

"The child has handled their experience well, and has done all that has been asked from them, despite the stress and toil involved in their journey to our shores. The child has shown bravery in the face of danger..." You hear a soft snicker come from the other side of the fire. Jub glares and the snickering abruptly stops. "... and managed to complete their task despite the obstacles encountered."

He pauses.

"The child has shown the stillness and calm of a pool of water, and the endurance and sense of perseverance of the great turtles of the shrub lands. The child's First Name is Nab Akul and the tribe shall know them by this."

As Jub finishes his speech he pulls out stone knife and, before you can react, slashes the bindings holding your clothes together. As they fall to the sand you finally recognize them. They are your old clothes, shredded and torn from your time in the waters, the last vestige of your old life. As they lay in the sand the last hint of moisture evaporates off, bringing another sense of finality to the occasion. You feel a hand on your shoulder and turn to see Jub offering you your clothing from earlier today, cleaned of sand and muck. He gestures for you to put them on.

What do you do?
Option A: Turn away from your old clothes and put on the new ones. You are ready to join the tribe as Nab Akul.
Option B: Desperately reach for your old clothes and ignore your new ones. They your last tie to your old life, you cant just give that up.
Option C: Reach for both, taking a shred of your old clothes. You are ready to live with the Swift-reeds but wish to keep a remembrance of your past.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Torn between A and C, leaning slightly more towards C, not to disrespect the tribe who have taken me in, but to acknowledge where I came from.

Also I know that was you snickering Bah Te'

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

C

No way we don't stay curious or want to have a token. Given how relatively cool we've played it so far though, no way we just make a fool of ourselves by rejecting everyone publically.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C

Nab Akul, of the Ocean and of the Village.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
B

Edit: I meant A!

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2018

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A Who cares about some old clothes?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A.

Shredded cloth won’t help us survive here. The acceptance and goodwill of the tribe are far more useful.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 25, 2018

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
A, embrace the new ways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
A. Nab Akul is born.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Current Vote Count

Option A: 6 votes
Option C: 6 votes

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A