Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Do we have a guild at all? I was in Something Lawful years ago but seems like that's gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
no goon guild, Something Lawful died a long time ago, before they removed the foundry iirc

also w/r/t the ability to play this game solo/without a guild - I literally didn't get into a guild until after I had gotten two separate characters to max level on my own, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you can solo the entire game

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Yeah, very soloable. However, get yourself into some random guild for the boons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After hitting 80 and getting my head around the ten thousand number-go-up mechanics, I'm having a good time with this.

Once you realize this is an extremely popcorn junk food game it's pretty fun, hit monster, get thing, number go up, repeat.

And a lot of the mid to late game areas are much, much cooler than the super janky start in the city itself.

It's also shockingly well populated (or at least, shockingly to me, maybe it's always been popular, I don't know). Dungeon queues are lightning fast even as dps, and any campaign area is generally active, event and endgame areas are jam packed with people.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Patch dropped today, Module 19

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11469683-patch-notes%3A-version%3A-nw.122.20200614a.9

They seem to be operating under a structure now where they do a major Mod release, then do periodic updates with smaller content drops/patching, then another major Mod, etc. They did a roadmap to outline what's coming:

One thing not clear to me is if they're still strictly following the pen and paper DnD module releases, because if they are, that would make Mod 20 another Icewind Dale release, which seems really weird given the amount of ID crap they already have in the game.

A pretty funny discussion from one of their designers about tweaks to HP, specifically about THE FORMULA they use internally on... all Cryptic games?!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1256606

annnnd finally, Cryptic is celebrating their 20th anniversary, which is kind of impressive in this genre

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11465713

Free poo poo for all their games, the Neverwinter reward is super nice (take a Rank 15 Bonding Runestone if you have no idea what the gently caress, if you have an idea you'll know what to take instead).

edit: Almost forgot, apparently they are adding Bard as a new class at some point down the road according to a few rumors

fake edit 2:

new zone lets you drive around in a mad max junker

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 30, 2020

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I guess I'm just not familiar with the new modules that WOTC has been coming out with for D&D, but having a mad max dune buggy is just really weird. Module 19 seems alright other than that though, as long as they can fix the issues people are having with the faction mechanic they added.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So Mod 20 is going to be an "escalator to Epic level content?"

How much more do they need? It takes like a week or less to level to 80, at which point you'll already have all your free Underdark/Barovia gear, completing Undermountain campaign takes relatively little time and gets you to mid 900's, (PVP gear gets you here as well), and at that point you can start grinding for Juma bags even if you're undergeared, because of how quickly they'll boost you up. That gets you to 1200-ish, and a modest investment of AD can get you the rest of the way. The free Rank 15 bonding runestone goes a long way towards helping here too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really feel like they need to adjust the route to endgame because at the moment the power spikes are just stupid.

0-15 is annoying, because every character needs to do the exact same tutorial level and first 2-3 modules before it'll let you choose other modules.

20-60 is in a pretty good place, because you have enough modules and XP bonuses that you can pretty much choose different modules and run through with a few different toons without the content overlapping too much.

Then you hit elemental evil, and even the first character I ran through it with wanted to loving die by the end of it. Granted this was because it was before loadouts and I was soloing as an AC/DC, so it was taking about a week to kill each enemy.

And then you have to do Sharandar every goddamn time.

I still haven't finished IWD let alone the giants one because the module drags so goddamn much, same with the later half of the Dragon module.

The biggest problem Neverwinter has is how much it's padded out, when there's now so much content it doesn't make any sense for it to be that padded; especially when they want you to run every single character through all of that content seperately.

The boons take way too long and you're obscenely underpowered without them, so you do kind of have to do it. I wouldn't mind so much if I could run one character through each module and then have the bonuses unlocked account-wide, but the prospect of having to do it each time on each character? gently caress that.

Don't get me wrong; I loved Neverwinter, I genuinely think the 4e hybrid system works really, really well, and it's an incredible amount of fun to play, especially on console. They've done a lot to reduce the power grind since I started playing and I appreciate the amount of in-jokes like Day of the Dungeon Master and the Penny Arcade tie-in.

I would probably still be playing if the feeling of progression wasn't so wildly inconsistent post 60 - once you hit 70 you can go pick up your free blues from the moonstone mask and instantly overlevel anything that can be picked up with the tier 1 seals.

0-10 should be different based on your class, so every class has a different lead-in.

10-80 should be scaled to your level, and you should be able to do whichever module you want in whatever order you want. The Dragon module should remain a background goal.

80+ should be endgame, but all of the modules should be the same difficulty, and the boon unlocks should be account wide.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How do I get some cosmetics so I don't have to look poor? Is it only through the lockbox poo poo?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can get them from events, or some people resell them on the auction house. Can't remember which section.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Playing this game with two friends. We're trying to quest together, but it seems pretty broken, like it doesn't count for some of us and we end up having to repeat poo poo? Is it because we share quests between each other? Do we have to pick them up individually or what the gently caress?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can share the objectives in a group but completing has always been janky -sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You're probably best off making sure you all pick up and hand in the quest.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
What's tanking like in this game? I only dipped into this briefly on PS4 as a greatsword man but now I have a decent PC was thinking about getting this on there. I've been playing a lot of FFXIV lately as its various tank classes so that's my main point of reference. This game's Paladin sounds cool and I understand it's a tank.

Is it easy to tank in this game it being more action oriented? Am I going to be struggling for threat from overeager dps like in WoW classic or is that not so much an issue here? Do people expect mega pulls all the time like in FFXIV?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BurningCourage posted:

What's tanking like in this game? I only dipped into this briefly on PS4 as a greatsword man but now I have a decent PC was thinking about getting this on there. I've been playing a lot of FFXIV lately as its various tank classes so that's my main point of reference. This game's Paladin sounds cool and I understand it's a tank.

Is it easy to tank in this game it being more action oriented? Am I going to be struggling for threat from overeager dps like in WoW classic or is that not so much an issue here? Do people expect mega pulls all the time like in FFXIV?

I hate you for making me realise I had this game but never actually played it. it seems OK though so far.

Also how the hell do I swap a mount over? I have a horsey, a spider and some dragon thing but I can only ride my spider? I am level 7.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leif. posted:

So Mod 20 is going to be an "escalator to Epic level content?"

How much more do they need? It takes like a week or less to level to 80, at which point you'll already have all your free Underdark/Barovia gear, completing Undermountain campaign takes relatively little time and gets you to mid 900's, (PVP gear gets you here as well), and at that point you can start grinding for Juma bags even if you're undergeared, because of how quickly they'll boost you up. That gets you to 1200-ish, and a modest investment of AD can get you the rest of the way. The free Rank 15 bonding runestone goes a long way towards helping here too.

Is this poopsock levels of play or like an hour a day kinda thing?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
It's actually a "buy progress in RMT store" at this point if you want to catch up to the very end game. The developers have been removing almost every single one of the mechanics that allowed you to speed up the grind to get the currency you need to upgrade your gear for the real end game content, the remaining income sources have a fixed daily cap, and the backlog for the ZEN currency exchange (trading in-game earnable currency for the RMT currency) is at over 2 months now. You can get to level 80 and your character ready to do last years outdated end game content with not too much of a grind and no RMT investment, but if you want to play this years trials the amount of upgrades you need over such a "generic" level 80 character will take you literally years to grind with just in game currency without a shitton of luck at some 1-3% RNG rolls; if you want to buy some currency with your credit card though, you can now buy every little thing to progress in the ZEN store, including poo poo like artefacts that used to only drop like once per year in rare events.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
Apologies if this should go somewhere else--this was the most recent Neverwinter MMO thread I could readily find.

Hello goons who [I assume] play the Neverwinter MMO! I'm giving away two companion pack codes from a Humble Bundle purchase:

I think the links are correct? I don't play so idk.

Just send me a message if you want one or both of those codes. First come, first serve. Merry Christmas all!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

has anyone been playing on the test server? apparently the devs are working on streamlining character progression so you can actually conceivably catch up to top-end before the heat death of the universe

like I don't really play this game, I have a non-optimized barbarian I sometimes log in for dailies because actually catching up in this game is loving atrocious but if they're on the cusp of making it easier to catch up it might be a good time for me to give the game a proper go

edit: jumped on the test server, i'm really badly geared but going from live to test jumped my ilvl from like 20k to 25k, biggest thing I noticed was no more of those bonding runestones and I only had to equip one mount

blatman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 27, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
rev up those steam wallets, we got a new module comin' out in february

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11482743

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHO5OveVSY

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Apparently the pubbie community of Neverwinter is really mad because the game was made slightly harder in the combat rework, and now they are upset that they can't pull packs of 30 mobs and solo them while taking 0 damage. So the game is now "impposible" and all classes are "squishy as hell".

For the life of me, I can't understand people's desire to have MMOs that have literally no challenge in them. This, LOTRO, even the new WOW intro have a beginning-game where you literally can not die. It's so boring.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know man, I was a solo player for disability reasons, and it sucks having games refuse to acknowledge solo play, especially when they don't add systems to make matchmaking easy.

Yes, you shouldn't be able to run through a zone pulling mobs and then solo them. But when the game is designed with mobs standing around in packs of five, and you can't solo more than two at a time, that's just lovely design.

This isn't 'git gud,' this is refusing to put any effort into scaling the difficulty for a party vs solo play.

When I started playing, Elemental Evil had yet to be rebalanced and there were no loadouts, so the buff cleric i was playing as was an absolute slog, to the point that I paid to respec as DPS just so I could get through the content.

If they don't want solo players then there shouldn't be any content where you can play solo. It sucks that new players can get a feel for the game in the 1-50 modules, and are then expected to find a guild and regular groups for everytjing after that.

I expect solo play to be tougher, I just don't expect it to be balanced out completely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neverwinter has always been extremely challenging, so I don't really know what people were expecting. Leveling up is easy, but the end game content is hard as gently caress, at least when I last played. When I made this thread, Lost City of Omu was of course the newest content, and that was insanely hard. It took forever to get the gear necessary to tackle that content.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I started just after strongholds came out and before underdark, according to this. It was definitely tougher back then and Icewind Dale in particular was impossible to solo. I got by mostly doing dungeons and turning in the rewards for high level gear.

I think they rebalanced to make a lot of the content easier around cloaked ascendancy - I came back for Ravenloft because of course I loving did, and the free gear from that was powerful enough to let me solo the Icewind and dragons content.

I think the issue is more that before, you could hit 60 and solo the old modules by doing dailies and getting the best gear from the current module. Whereas now it seems like they've flattened the curve and all of the endgame stuff is super hard to solo.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah, the endgame was drat near impossible to solo even before the update. But now some of the early game has a little bit of danger to it. But the challenge curve in NW was always this:

_________________________|

When I started playing (mod 18?), the open world / early dungeons were super easy until you got to the initial Avernus, at which point you died immediately if you didn't have your stats built up. Chult also could kill you if you weren't paying attention or if you ran into a group boss. The second Avernus area (avernus proper) pretty much gated you on the opening quest for some classes because you had to kill mobs in it that would murder you if you weren't at least a little tanky. I doubt that it's not still completely out of wack, but I can at least appreciate that the tower district at level 10 will kill you if you pull 9 mobs.

I'm curious how the new module is today but honestly I'm sure it will be a clusterfuck.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Oh apparently they delayed Sharandar until next week. womp.

Cryptic posted:

Throughout the last several weeks we have been committed to addressing feedback to the combat rework and we continue to remain focused on this topic. In addition, recent graphic changes to our game engine have impacted console performance for Neverwinter. We will be using this extra week to ensure stability across all our platforms, including the dungeon/trial crashes.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I tried to run Demogorgon before the update at 22k ilvl and we got wiped four times in a row. it loving sucked so bad lol I almost don't even want to log in and see how much harder it is now (but I'm gonna do it anyway as soon as they push Sharandar out). I have no idea how they figure that poo poo can be run at 20k. Cryptic is really not good at pacing their content, it's true. game is still fun as hell but the difficulty curve is horseshit

this is the before and after of my dragonborn DPS barb. most of that poo poo is/was BIS gear up until recently and even before the update it felt like I was hugely outmatched

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 10, 2021

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is it just not possible to get Metallic Dragonborn anymore? I'm just coming back after a long time and was looking to start new.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Cutedge posted:

Apparently the pubbie community of Neverwinter is really mad because the game was made slightly harder in the combat rework, and now they are upset that they can't pull packs of 30 mobs and solo them while taking 0 damage. So the game is now "impposible" and all classes are "squishy as hell".

For the life of me, I can't understand people's desire to have MMOs that have literally no challenge in them. This, LOTRO, even the new WOW intro have a beginning-game where you literally can not die. It's so boring.

This has been my experience with literally every Cryptic MMO. Anything that's even remotely challenging is ignored, and I've actually come to dread meeting CoH/CO/STO players in other games because I know that they're going to be preposterously bad.

One of my "favorite" experiences in Champions Online was when I was trying to do some of the Lairs (their version of dungeons), and I learned the following:

1. Nobody does lairs because the loot they drop is more easily attainable through solo content
2. Nobody wants the lairs to drop good loot because it's not fair that they can't get it solo and the lairs are "Too hard"

Turns out with the exception of one Lair, they're actually face-roll easy. I discovered this after I finally, FINALLY managed to scrape together a group after days of trying.

When I played Neverwinter I thought the dungeons were pretty friggin' dope.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

EDIT: Other MMOs are pretty easy but I've never seen a community as challenge-averse as the Cryptic Crowd

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 7, 2021

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I played this game years ago but have been looking for something else to play in my downtime so thought of coming back. Are there recent guides for like classes and builds? I like the idea of paladin and cleric but all the guides i see are mod 17 while I think the current mod is 20?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

creatine posted:

I played this game years ago but have been looking for something else to play in my downtime so thought of coming back. Are there recent guides for like classes and builds? I like the idea of paladin and cleric but all the guides i see are mod 17 while I think the current mod is 20?

You're going to want to use this website: https://nw.mmominds.com/, or alternatively there's a really cool NW Character Builder program someone made that hooks directly into that database and puts everything into a (somewhat) easy-to-use menu system where you can save and load different builds or compare online builds to each other. You can download it from here (it's a Patreon link, but the Character Builder is free to download and doesn't require login/a subscription): https://www.patreon.com/RainerNW/posts?tag=CharacterBuilder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUywLFbsz7Y

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

mod 21 with new bard class with playable instrument ocarina of time style is coming (and a complete and total leveling rework), get the gently caress in :evilbuddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLvELmHfbTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXyONjFjAKc

trailer came out ages ago but I'm never gonna not try to resurrect this dead gay thread for this dumb goofy game that I like

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 23, 2021

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I tried out the Bard on the preview server. It's interesting, it plays a lot like a red mage in FFXIV in some ways. I was hoping to find out if they have a move to jump back from your current enemy, which would confirm that it's straight up inspired by FFXIV RDM but I didn't get far enough.

The new leveling system is interesting. Basically there's no xp bar. Certain quests just give you the next level and you progress linearly through a set of 'adventures' which are some reworked old content (after tutorial you go to neverdeath, then there's other stuff). I don't hate it, I think it's going to be a much better experience than the current level to 80 process new players go through, but I don't know how annoying it will be for alt-ing.

They've definitely got some work to do with some WIP art in place and such but I bet this is going to come out in July. With them shutting down Magic Legends, I'm sure Cryptic is going to be frantic about getting their other games in the news and in front of people's wallets

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Hearing July 27 for Mod 21 from the other people in my guild, so better get those last couple Deeds-based achievements done if you care about that kind of thing before those leveling areas get deleted. Looking forward to making a Bard healer and seeing how things go. I started a new pally tank toon a couple weeks ago so once bard drops I'll have a proper rotation of characters to play

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the hell happened over the last 24 hours?

I'd been playing Neverwinter for about two weeks now, starting from scratch since dipping my toes in it in 2015. I was doing one level a day, and logged out yesterday as a level 19, having just completed a quest to fight off some kobolds and aberrants

and today I log on and I'm level 20 and all the Paragon paths and powers and feats are unlocked, and the ability score increases are all unlocked capping out at level 20

I'm very confused. Did they do a massive level cap squish that I was completely unaware of?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Yep. Reducing max level from 80 to 20, added a new class, new leveling experience etc.

I'm leveling a Bard now. Not sure if I like it yet, some of the powers seem... weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zam Wesell posted:

Yep. Reducing max level from 80 to 20, added a new class, new leveling experience etc.

I'm leveling a Bard now. Not sure if I like it yet, some of the powers seem... weird.

is there anywhere I could read about the changes?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Prolly some links in the launcher, or on the website.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I read through some of the developer blog posts and have got the gist of it: anyone who already had an existing character gets to level 20 immediately, and there's a set of gear that immediately propels you to the baseline item level to start the endgame. Any new characters will have to go through a more tailored/set-piece leveling process that takes about 12 hours.

next question: what *is* the endgame, and how do I get started on it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Collecting fashion outfits and theming your alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, I read through some of the developer blog posts and have got the gist of it: anyone who already had an existing character gets to level 20 immediately, and there's a set of gear that immediately propels you to the baseline item level to start the endgame. Any new characters will have to go through a more tailored/set-piece leveling process that takes about 12 hours.

the endgame, as in once you finish all your leveling adventures, are the campaigns (most of which were there in the game before and your progress will stay the same if you started any of them prior). the campaigns get progressively more difficult but unlock sweet new dungeon queues for you to go and run. then it's really just about getting up your item level and obtaining Maximum Power Levels

max level is 20 now to make the game more in line with the tabletop game, where the max level is also 20. it's not a horrible change imo. i also really like the bard so far