Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Ugh Gondul is handing my rear end to me her dash across the arena attacks are so hard to dodge havent kept track of my deaths but i must be around 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i was having a lot of trouble with the valkyries til i calmed the gently caress down and focused like 95% on just dodging and mashing the boy button

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I appreciated that they had previously set up the whole "time passes different in every realm" bit early on so when they certainly back from Jotunheim and Mimir goes "welcome back my dudes, btw some poo poo has been going down since you left like an hour ago" it seems far less handwavy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The game's really good at laying the pieces for or hinting at things to come. I'm excited to see how serious they were about having this all planned out, I wonder which things from this game will be relevant or hints for the next.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What was the specific whammy on Freya again? She couldn't leave Midgard, and then something about her not being able to take up arms against ... anyone? Or the Æsir specifically?

Just wondering about her plans against Kratos and her inquiry about getting her Valkyrie gear.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Wait, so you have to collect 3 keys from random Muspelheim trials every time you want to give the final Muspelheim trial a go?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the don't take damage muspelheim trial can suck my rear end

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i was having a lot of trouble with the valkyries til i calmed the gently caress down and focused like 95% on just dodging and mashing the boy button

I'm trying it at Level 5, I've gotten her to the last bar, but gently caress Gondul, what are some good Runic attacks to use against her? Also why are there two god of war threads open?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GreatGreen posted:

Wait, so you have to collect 3 keys from random Muspelheim trials every time you want to give the final Muspelheim trial a go?

Yes, and the final trial also rotates as well, I believe. The first time I got "kill 50 dudes" and the next time I got "don't take damage while killing a smaller number of dudes." I recommend trials 2, 3, and 4. I believe those are kill the dudes in the circles, kill the dudes in under 4 minutes, kill the dudes with fast health regen. The first (don't take any damage) and fifth (kill dudes to extend timer, btw here are 50 revenants) are painful.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

ufarn posted:

What was the specific whammy on Freya again? She couldn't leave Midgard, and then something about her not being able to take up arms against ... anyone? Or the Æsir specifically?

Just wondering about her plans against Kratos and her inquiry about getting her Valkyrie gear.

She supposedly can't use a weapon at all.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yes i finally loving beat gondul must have died 50 times

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Destro posted:

I'm trying it at Level 5, I've gotten her to the last bar, but gently caress Gondul, what are some good Runic attacks to use against her? Also why are there two god of war threads open?

This one is for spoilers so you do not need to use tags.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I reckon the Valkyrie equivalent next game is going to be Furies. Furies can gently caress a god's day right up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, and the final trial also rotates as well, I believe. The first time I got "kill 50 dudes" and the next time I got "don't take damage while killing a smaller number of dudes." I recommend trials 2, 3, and 4. I believe those are kill the dudes in the circles, kill the dudes in under 4 minutes, kill the dudes with fast health regen. The first (don't take any damage) and fifth (kill dudes to extend timer, btw here are 50 revenants) are painful.
Can you cheese it (not on GMGOW obviously) by cranking the difficulty down to Dumb Babby to get your keys and then back up for the final?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The used the furies in that Ascension game no one played lmao. There goes that idea I guess. Thought it would be a cool way to tie in the surviving Greek pantheon who no doubt want nothing more than some vengeance on old Kray man.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SubponticatePoster posted:

Can you cheese it (not on GMGOW obviously) by cranking the difficulty down to Dumb Babby to get your keys and then back up for the final?

Probably, although if the goal is "efficient mat farming" you may as well crank it down across the board in case you get a gently caress you thing at the end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 6 must be forever known as the Dad Trilogy.
And we can expand it if there's another game that fits the theme.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This, Witcher 3, and Yakuza 6 must be forever known as the Dad Trilogy.
And we can expand it if there's another game that fits the theme.

Joel from The Last of Us: "Go to your room, Svejk"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

The used the furies in that Ascension game no one played lmao. There goes that idea I guess. Thought it would be a cool way to tie in the surviving Greek pantheon who no doubt want nothing more than some vengeance on old Kray man.

Aphrodite 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Joel from The Last of Us: "Go to your room, Svejk"

I also completely spaced on AC origins which is a super dad game

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Has anybody done any spergy analytics for what the best gear in the game is yet?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody done any spergy analytics for what the best gear in the game is yet?

Surely cool down since always up runics mean nothing can red attack you. Hel's Touch is a great no thankyou button.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

JBP posted:

Surely cool down since always up runics mean nothing can red attack you. Hel's Touch is a great no thankyou button.

Makes sense. I was hoping there was something better than Ivaldi's Mist armor because as good as it is, it's really... underwhelming, visually.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreatGreen posted:

Makes sense. I was hoping there was something better than Ivaldi's Mist armor because as good as it is, it's really... underwhelming, visually.

It's probably pretty dependant. Like beefing up runic is my favourite because I can obliterate poo poo at the outset of a fight, but it's less useful for Valkyries since I do my big damage poo poo then have to wait 45 seconds for recharge.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JBP posted:

It's probably pretty dependant. Like beefing up runic is my favourite because I can obliterate poo poo at the outset of a fight, but it's less useful for Valkyries since I do my big damage poo poo then have to wait 45 seconds for recharge.

Iunno, getting in a giant "gently caress you" of damage in the form of 3-4 runic attacks right off the bat, then just dodging/parrying/punishing as you can until all the CDs come up is very sastisfying. If you've got runics with good damage and halfway decent stun you can swap weapons and almost queue up the runics on the other one before the animation's even fully finished.

And for everyone else, "a chance to reset cooldowns on kill" is an enchantment you can get. :getin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Well I beat Sigrun and got my incredible 100000 hacksilver or whatever reward lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

JBP posted:

Well I beat Sigrun and got my incredible 100000 hacksilver or whatever reward lol

you can buy a hair comb for kratos with that silver

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Probably, although if the goal is "efficient mat farming" you may as well crank it down across the board in case you get a gently caress you thing at the end
Yeah, I was just speaking of people who liked to do it for the beatdowns challenge.

I posted in the non-spoiler thread that I went back to the Valk hangout and one of them was gone from her throne. I love it when games have actually bothered to plan a direction for themselves and put in clues to events in future games that most people aren't going to find.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, I was just speaking of people who liked to do it for the beatdowns challenge.

I posted in the non-spoiler thread that I went back to the Valk hangout and one of them was gone from her throne. I love it when games have actually bothered to plan a direction for themselves and put in clues to events in future games that most people aren't going to find.

Do you get to put the queens head on the throne?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

Do you get to put the queens head on the throne?

Nah, you sell it to the dwarves like the artifacts you pick up.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Horrible Taste posted:

Nah, you sell it to the dwarves like the artifacts you pick up.

Then wouldn't that explain the empty throne since there are 8 thrones, 7 valkyries and 1 queen?
also the Valkyries aren't actually there, Mimir says its just their shadows

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WirelessPillow posted:

Then wouldn't that explain the empty throne since there are 8 thrones, 7 valkyries and 1 queen?

8 thrones, 8 "minor" valks, 1 sigrun and 1 freya. The game's usage of the "queen of valkyries" title is kind of nebulous between sigrun and freya at some points but ostensibly sigrun is "the queen of valkyries" and freya is/was "the queen of the aesir, and also got ownership/leadership of the valkyries as a group as a wedding gift"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rewatched the scene of Kratos getting sucked into the Bifrost and kinda thinking on it but what are the odds that Kratos isn't the father to Loki? Like listening to the speech about how "I know you're out there somewhere, so please come back if he's a bad dad" makes me think that the real father is Still A Thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's one part of the plot that I annoyed me: When they reach the top of the mountain for the first time Atreus says something like "Finally, the tallest mountain in all the realms!" Then Mimir goes "Well actually..." It's annoying because I can't remember if Atreus ever phrased it that way before. Wasn't it 'tallest mountain in the realm'?

I actually cracked up when Kratos then says "This can't be what she meant...?" when they contemplate going to Jotunheim, as if he was mocking the incredulity.

Nice bit of foreshadowing about who Faye really was, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rewatched the scene of Kratos getting sucked into the Bifrost and kinda thinking on it but what are the odds that Kratos isn't the father to Loki? Like listening to the speech about how "I know you're out there somewhere, so please come back if he's a bad dad" makes me think that the real father is Still A Thing.

No, the fact that he’s half god because Kratos is his dad is kinda a huge plot point. Kratos also talks about making those knives when Atreus was born so he was definitely around then.

EDIT: Well I guess he’s technically only quarter god since Kratos himself is half.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

At the end of their journey in Jotunheim, Kratos and Atreus find an audiolog left behind by Faye that says “you know you really didn’t have to go through all this trouble, the highest mountain in Midgard was fine.”

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RatHat posted:

No, the fact that he’s half god because Kratos is his dad is kinda a huge plot point. Kratos also talks about making those knives when Atreus was born so he was definitely around then.

EDIT: Well I guess he’s technically only quarter god since Kratos himself is half.

I feel like Kratos' godhood is sort of nebulous because he's a half-god from being the son of Zeus but then he was actually briefly a full god, but then he lost that, but then by the end of GoW 2 (and 3) you're as powerful as you've ever been so????

This game just treats him as a full god at all times so probably best to go with that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it doesn’t seem to matter how much god you have in you anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

WirelessPillow posted:

There were 8 + Sigrun. What happened was I placed all 8 of the helmets, not including Sigrun. After I beat the game (and Sigrun, did that before I finished), I went back for a treasure map and one of the thrones is empty - no shade. Eir is the one missing, and she's the healer. Wouldn't be at all surprised if she's off fixing Baldur at Freya's request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looking forward to the epic boss battle in the next game where Atreus dresses up like a lady giant and says “actually, gently caress that guy” to prevent Baldur being released from the underworld.

• Locked thread