Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Faucet Drinker posted:

It leaves me a bit more forgiving about how quickly that whole character was rammed into the cast, but they got it done, the episodes rocked, and we can finish off this wonderful show with all the characters in their respective places on the board, and dear God I'm hoping for some good b-siders moments.

Agreed on all this. I really do like her character so far and while I mentioned the writers kinda went hard on selling her to us via the cast, they still did it in a way where it felt natural, showed a bit of how far Archer's come. Never thought I'd be looking forward to watching this show again (and I thiught the last few seasons weren't bad!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lana becoming the boss and immediately morphing into Malory after two setbacks was the most obvious character arc for her since like season one, there is no way the writers only just thought of that.

I also had no beef with Cyril's arc; it's entirely in character that he and Ray would make a big deal out of being better people and turn out to have done none of the actual work when pressed, which is a nice contrast to Archer and Pam actually being way cooler than they used to be. The only character I thought was done a disservice was Barry, season 11 Barry ruled and walking that back was a dick move.

New episodes rules and this is shaping up to be the strongest of the post-coma seasons already. Not entirely sold on Zara yet, but she's already way better than Robert or Fabian.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
"How do I keep forgetting I can do that?"

"Because you don't want to admit to yourself that you're an abomination?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The small dick joke Pam made about Cyril’s dick seemed super out of place because I thought his thing was that he had a megadick everyone was jealous of.

There was even that episode last season where Cyril distracted some cops with his big dick.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

The small dick joke Pam made about Cyril’s dick seemed super out of place because I thought his thing was that he had a megadick everyone was jealous of.

Haven't watched the episode yet, if it wasn't just meant to demean Cyril then yeah that'd be sloppy. On top of the distraction you mentioned, Cyril and Pam also slept together

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

FireWorksWell posted:

On top of the distraction you mentioned, Cyril and Pam also slept together
I remember Pam raping Cyril in a bathroom, but did they also hook up consensually at some point? I feel like someone has to have made a chart or something, because at this point it'd be easier to list the pairings that haven't had sex in this office.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Didn’t they have sex on the airship?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

RhymesWithTendon posted:

I remember Pam raping Cyril in a bathroom, but did they also hook up consensually at some point? I feel like someone has to have made a chart or something, because at this point it'd be easier to list the pairings that haven't had sex in this office.

They got drunk together when Cyril was panicking over emptying the ISIS accounts (or something to that effect) and woke up naked the next time they're shown, it's not really outright stated though so I could be wrong.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Didn’t they have sex on the airship?

That was Cheryl. Pam would have joined in, but her back was killing her.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Cyril has twelve inches iirc. At that point it's a legit problem.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I just finished watching the new one (another solid episode, Zara's a fun addition) and to me, the small dick thing came off as Pam messing around with him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't recall the specific gag, but in a vacuum, making fun of Cyril's dick is valid because regardless of the physical hog he's sportin, he's a Small Dick Guy. Those are not necessarily causally related.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Cyril has twelve inches iirc. At that point it's a legit problem.

Not according to the insurance company to denied to cover his penis ensmallment.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
That episode was great. "Yes... if you catch my drift" was my favorite joke.

I also continue to appreciate how they are back to being a proper organization, with half the cast staying home for office shenanigans. The HR dolphin is back!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I completely missed that the show was back and just caught up. I haven't re-watched any other episodes since... last year, and this feels fresher somehow. Good stuff, like that they worked in "British museums stealing poo poo" into the episode. Zara's ok but I dunno maybe it's her accent is bothering me a bit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This season has been nothing but net. Good grief.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

algebra testes posted:

This season has been nothing but net. Good grief.

Didn't know Wednesdays were new episodes, that was great from start to finish. Going into this season I was thinking "yeah it's good but maybe 14 seasons is enough" and now I'm hoping there's somehow a renewal.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm loving how underneath the amazingly competent veneer, Zara is just as messed up as the rest of the gang. Well, maybe not just as messed up, but she's got some skeletons in her storage containers, and that makes her presence make a lot more sense.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

I'm loving how underneath the amazingly competent veneer, Zara is just as messed up as the rest of the gang. Well, maybe not just as messed up, but she's got some skeletons in her storage containers, and that makes her presence make a lot more sense.

She kinda seems like a grown-up Abbiejean

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kesper North posted:

She kinda seems like a grown-up Abbiejean
I briefly wondered in the middle of episode two if Archer was a batshit enough universe to include time travel for this very reason.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LividLiquid posted:

I briefly wondered in the middle of episode two if Archer was a batshit enough universe to include time travel for this very reason.

OMFG same!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
someone floated the idea in this thread at the end of season 7 that the show would do a timeskip, and the next season would be about Archer, a hypercompetent secret agent who struggles with working under her overbearing mother and never knew her father

I don't think Zara is literally that, but I do have to wonder if we'll ever see her and Abbiejean in the same room together.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Watching ep4. Is it just me or has the quality of banter greatly improved / returned to form this season?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I dont think the last couple seasons were bad or anything but I feel like the show hasn't been this good since around s4

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

I think this seasons return to form was a calculated decision, that harsh return to original form is a total flex imo. I don't think the issue was ever the lack of knowing they could pump out another two seasons using the same formula as the first four and no one bats an eye, but where does it end? Iirc Reed was considering that before being inspired to write another series if arcs like vice and Coma.

I wouldn't trust my memory on that, but in my eyes this season has been like a famous band playing the hits. It's easy and natural and they are killing it

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Barry's story at the end there... maybe we'll get an all-powerful AI as this season's finale antagonist. But probably not.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was annoyed by how often unbeatable cyborg Barry showed up in s3 and s4 but his 'once a season' episodes always kill it.

Also I kind of hope the person reviving him all the time is Katya or some Russian Mook, I don't think she's even been seen or mentioned since s6 (not even as part of his coma dreams)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was watching Dreamland and was pretty bored by him in that but Fridge Barry was great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I kinda miss Crackers. So loving cute.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I kinda miss Crackers. So loving cute.

One of the best things if not the best from the coma seasons.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FireWorksWell posted:

One of the best things if not the best from the coma seasons.

There is no question that Crackers was the past part of the coma seasons, and it's not even close

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Barry Foster posted:

There is no question that Crackers was the past part of the coma seasons, and it's not even close

What about Matt Berry as a sentient bomb?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

That was the other character I was thinking of

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remind me, self care is narcissism.

Will that stop you?

That's why I like it.

I was hoping to get Christian Slater in this episode but there's still time in the season!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

algebra testes posted:

I was hoping to get Christian Slater in this episode but there's still time in the season!

I got excited until the second half of this. He was one of my favorite side characters and I liked that he still shows up every now and then after that arc was done. "He's had the clap so many times it's more like applause."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So ah... what's the verdict here?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the season. And I just love Krieger's contribution to the last episode's mission. I didn't see it going the way it did, but that was just so good.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I've not seen the last couple yet but the season's been one of the series' strongest so far in my opinion.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The latest episode would have made a great Hitman level.

Also, the payoff for the tiny fan was incredible.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

SimonChris posted:

The latest episode would have made a great Hitman level.

Also, the payoff for the tiny fan was incredible.

Mr Sterling Archer, please proceed to the hospital entrance.

The episode was practically the GAMA hospital set in Haven, so why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So ah... like a lot of folks I stopped watching during the Coma Years.

I just binged the first Post-Coma season (11) and it was really loving good! The back half in particular felt like the creative team hit their groove. The evil butler, the double date, AJ's kidnapping... I've missed this show!