Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Ps gently caress these fig seeds they should have been fine even though I scooped them out of a dead dry fig

Did you check for any dead wasps in said fig? They are essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I thought missions don't need a wasp

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I germinated all my pepper seeds inside without any trouble, mostly just poked them in some regular potting mix and kept them warm, no direct sunlight. I also tried seed starting mix, starting in a wet paper towel, pre-soaking in warm tea (these all worked but didn't really make a difference). Maybe don't water the seeds too often. I left a tray of ungerminated (after weeks) seeds at my parents' house when I moved and when I came back even more weeks later a bunch had popped up without any help.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I planted parsnip for the first time, earlier this year. Boy they sure are a hardy crop, even with the heavy drought they pulled through unscathed.
My onions on the otherhand didn't fare out so well.

Speaking of peppers has anybody tried to germinate pepper seeds from supermarket bought peppers?

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Speaking of peppers has anybody tried to germinate pepper seeds from supermarket bought peppers?

This is how I got 90% of my peppers. It works great!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TACO_HERO posted:

This is how I got 90% of my peppers. It works great!

I've had good experiences, too. Also try planting some of the seeds that come in bags of dried peppers. The germination rate isn't always stellar, but I grew some healthy-rear end Thai peppers that way.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the real question is how to get Sichuan peppers to germinate. Almost certain taking the seeds out of dried sichuans won't work, but maybe i'm just being dumb about it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

the real question is how to get Sichuan peppers to germinate. Almost certain taking the seeds out of dried sichuans won't work, but maybe i'm just being dumb about it.

Aren't they basically citrus tree seeds?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no they're shiny black seeds that come in a coat. the red outer coat is the actual spice part, the inner beige coat and seed aren't anything, culinarily speaking.

the actual tree I guess probably has similar growth needs to some citruses, but I've never once been able to get them to germinate. Maybe they all die if they get dried out?

alternately they might need actual work to get to germinate, like they need specific conditions and trying to germinate them like citrus or other rando seeds absolutely will not fly

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

no they're shiny black seeds that come in a coat. the red outer coat is the actual spice part, the inner beige coat and seed aren't anything, culinarily speaking.

the actual tree I guess probably has similar growth needs to some citruses, but I've never once been able to get them to germinate. Maybe they all die if they get dried out?

Some seeds are more tolerant than others to industrial drying processes. Maybe they are just one of those seeds that needs optimal conditions for transport.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
welp hosed cause that would be a fuckin sweet plant to have. I looked them up on wiki just now and at one time they used to have to get heated real hot to kill some kind of citrus canker. This is apparently no longer needed, so who knows.

I guess I could try buying some seeds online but I dunno. I got other stuff to do before worrying about getting new plants. I have a shitload of peppercorns with the seeds already, so it's worth keeping the seeds and trying to grow them, but I don't particularly think it's worth trying to go out of my way right now.

longans are continuing to get bigger, although they have slowed their roll slightly. Most of them have their next set of leaves coming in, except the real dark one -- it's changed color to match the rest but it still grows the slowest.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Find a living one and get a cutting, maybe?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TACO_HERO posted:

Taste test!

Those giant ones? Not spicy at all. I wonder if they even ripened properly, I'll try waiting longer next time.

But that tiny dark one... :lsd: Me and my buddy each had a bite and were hiccupping uncontrollably for 5 minutes.

This is an old post, but those bigger ones on the left are not jalapeno! They look most like anaheims, or maybe even unmatured banana or a New Mexican variety

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Find a living one and get a cutting, maybe?

there's the difficulty, I don't go to places they got these things with any regularity. To get the longans i basically kept the seeds hidden and lied to customs. I'm sure there's a way to bring them in without lying but it was only 7 seeds and I was afraid they'd confiscate them anyway. No way I could bring back a live plant without claiming it.

Nobody around here has exotics unless I start driving 3 digit miles. One time I think 7 years ago I walked into a nursery and they had an amazing fern tree thing from i think Australia, and I really regret not blowing $100 on that fucker. Ever since then I've seen nothing interesting at all, but i'll have to actually start looking again.

Either way I'm gonna stick to growing what I have on hand until I get the rest of my house fully restored then I can consider going out of my way for new stuff. It'd be sweet to figure out a way to grow really crazy poo poo like myrrh or cinnamon or nutmeg or something like that. I think I can do pomegranates pretty easily.

I found a tree identification guide that asks a series of questions so I should be able to figure out what that one kind I have is, then i'll decide if I wanna make booze from it. Although every time I search for anything starting with tree google's like "woah buddy do you mean Tree of Woe!?!?"

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This is an old post, but those bigger ones on the left are not jalapeno! They look most like anaheims, or maybe even unmatured banana or a New Mexican variety

Yeah, they're definitely something else, maybe poblano? The plant they came from has been very productive so I've been using them in salsas to reduce the heat from the other types.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I was a big dumb idiot and didn’t plant any of the seeds I bought months ago. :negative:

Anybody here know anything about growing tomatoes, peppers, and/or okra indoors? Also is there a good cheap indoor growing system, preferably with LED lights and possibly hydroponic? Amazon has a few but I’m wondering which ones suck and which ones don’t.

EDIT: I also forgot to plant my pumpkin and squash seeds in time for an October harvest. Good news, though! If I plant them now, they should be ready just in time for Christmas! :bang:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 5, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TACO_HERO posted:

Yeah, they're definitely something else, maybe poblano? The plant they came from has been very productive so I've been using them in salsas to reduce the heat from the other types.

No, they are not the shape or color of poblano. Anaheim is the best match, assuming those were mature.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
I'm growing my peppers and tomatoes inside, using soil and a variety of lights. The HPS bulb seems to make them produce lots of fruit, but it uses a lot of energy. Most of my peppers are under LEDs now, they are mostly panels with hundreds of LEDs of different colours (red, white, blue, UV and infrared) to stimulate growth and reproduction. Specifically these. They work great, maybe there are better or cheaper ones out there though. I also have little LED grow bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs (daylight, 6500K) around to cover all the plants and wavelengths that might be missing.

It's all been a series of experiments for me but I've been having a lot of luck so far. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to help.

edit:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

No, they are not the shape or color of poblano. Anaheim is the best match, assuming those were mature.

I just looked at some pictures, and that may be! I've never heard of either of those peppers before, I wonder where I even got those seeds from...

taco season fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 6, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well I was a big dumb idiot and didn’t plant any of the seeds I bought months ago. :negative:

Anybody here know anything about growing tomatoes, peppers, and/or okra indoors? Also is there a good cheap indoor growing system, preferably with LED lights and possibly hydroponic? Amazon has a few but I’m wondering which ones suck and which ones don’t.

EDIT: I also forgot to plant my pumpkin and squash seeds in time for an October harvest. Good news, though! If I plant them now, they should be ready just in time for Christmas! :bang:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830 . Define cheap. Are you willing to do it yourself (involves soldering)?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 6, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
soldering is actually a lot cheaper and easier than some people expect, but please if you have 0% experience looking at a circuit board or light bulb or anything, look it up on youtube so you can visually see how it's supposed to work. I've seen people do terrible crimes and electronic abuses.

Even if you have literally no understanding of anything you can solder stuff and make stuff with a little practice. It's worth a shot.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I've started to dig potatoes out. Here's my first batch of reds. The largest is probably tennis ball sized.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Thots and Prayers posted:

I've started to dig potatoes out. Here's my first batch of reds. The largest is probably tennis ball sized.

Those are some tasty lookin' potates you got there, pardner. You gonna mash, fry, or julienne 'em?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

Those are some tasty lookin' potates you got there, pardner. You gonna mash, fry, or julienne 'em?

Sliced 'em up, tossed them with a little olive oil and roasted them. Everybody liked 'em.

I planted a bunch this year, excited to get the rest.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anyone know what's the best way to take cuttings from trees like right this precise second in the northern hemisphere, and insure they survive thru the winter (also until they're grown up into real trees or w/e)?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hopefully my necromancy is a higher level than herbalism.

This is crab apple, right?

the biggest one is slightly smaller than my thumbnail, I forgot to put in a coin for size comparison

anyway I hope they're crab apples cause I been eating em

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Totes crab apple.

Also, I bet these guys have a good recipe or two: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nice. I might have to split it into booze and jelly. They're pretty potent and if I go all in it might be too intense

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

To be honest they look nothing like any crab apple I've ever seen and seem to be tiny,like berry sized unless you have absolutely loving enormous thumbnails.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aramoro posted:

To be honest they look nothing like any crab apple I've ever seen and seem to be tiny,like berry sized unless you have absolutely loving enormous thumbnails.

A lot of wild apples are pretty loving tiny. They run the gamut from the size of a chokecherry to a small apple.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Most google results have larger apples in the pics for crabapples, but I've seen a lot that look exactly like mine.

the structure seems the same as this woman who makes crab apple jelly, except mine are miniature, maybe half the size. The bigger ones look more apple-y and less berry but I might just be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5BA-2jm7A

mine are very small, very hard, and the pulp is much whiter. They taste like they almost could be something like an apple, but they're so so sour, and they have a mealy consistency that's sort of like apple but way worse. I def feel like if I had scurvy these would reverse it with only a few. They're not juicy at all so I think I'd steam them to get juice.

Seeds are the same shape as the vid but smaller and whiter, and it has the same thing where the stem doesn't want to come out unless you chop the fruit. Thinking of leaving them up on the tree longer but I don't want to lose too many from birds or whatever. They might be better after the first hardcore frost kicks in -- can't eat more than a few in a row.

This would mean I gotta wait to chop down the tree, but honestly it'd be better to do it later in the year.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Most google results have larger apples in the pics for crabapples, but I've seen a lot that look exactly like mine.

the structure seems the same as this woman who makes crab apple jelly, except mine are miniature, maybe half the size. The bigger ones look more apple-y and less berry but I might just be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma5BA-2jm7A

mine are very small, very hard, and the pulp is much whiter. They taste like they almost could be something like an apple, but they're so so sour, and they have a mealy consistency that's sort of like apple but way worse. I def feel like if I had scurvy these would reverse it with only a few. They're not juicy at all so I think I'd steam them to get juice.

Seeds are the same shape as the vid but smaller and whiter, and it has the same thing where the stem doesn't want to come out unless you chop the fruit. Thinking of leaving them up on the tree longer but I don't want to lose too many from birds or whatever. They might be better after the first hardcore frost kicks in -- can't eat more than a few in a row.

This would mean I gotta wait to chop down the tree, but honestly it'd be better to do it later in the year.

Just a thought but you ought to be able to use sugar to draw out the juices from those little guys. Then, you know, make some wine and in three months get poo poo-faced.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah I was gonna just make mead but I dunno if I wanna use raw rear end sugar to do it. My blackberry one came out ok but I only ever ended up making it because my mom hosed up making jelly and made a pound size jolly rancher instead.

These things are bone dead dry, or at least taste like it, so i'm thinking it's more like flavor extraction than actual juicing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I dunno if I wanna use raw rear end sugar to do it.

Well, you know, corn sugar is already an invert sugar and is easily obtained at the brew shop....

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah but this is getting outta hand and too far away from hobo booze technique. Water falls out of the sky, I wanna do this cheap

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We wild fermented strawberries this year into strawberry wine and it came out at like ~15% which is not too shabby. Tastes good as well.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aramoro posted:

We wild fermented strawberries this year into strawberry wine and it came out at like ~15% which is not too shabby. Tastes good as well.

Home brewed strawberry wine is seriously one of my favorite drinks. Have you tried cranberries? Soooooo goooooooooooooood.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Home brewed strawberry wine is seriously one of my favorite drinks. Have you tried cranberries? Soooooo goooooooooooooood.

Not that many cranberries in Scotland, making some Damson wine now as well though from the shitload of Damsons we grew.

https://i.imgur.com/ceTu5bE.jpg

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 28, 2018

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Aramoro posted:

Not that many cranberries in Scotland, making some Damson wine now as well though from the shitload of Damsons we grew.

:drat:, son!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aramoro posted:

I'll admit I'm jelly.

I haven't made home brew for over a year and frankly I'm tired of paying for hooch. I have huckleberry bushes now that are seriously the size of a loving house. We just got here too late to harvest much. When the season comes around again know that I will be pleasantly hammered on some forest harvest huckwine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is crab apple, right?

the biggest one is slightly smaller than my thumbnail, I forgot to put in a coin for size comparison

Red Splendor Crabapples, I think.

• Locked thread