Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Protip for those with cats: cat grass seed mixes are usually combos of wheat, oats, rye and barley. You can buy these seeds in bulk at farm supply stores or online / mail order (get seed not feed grade). Get some dirt and something cute to put the dirt in. The seeds will sprout easily and it's much cheaper than purchasing the little cat grass kits with the plastic trays.

Get a couple pots and you can do a rotation so the cat grass is always fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i am doing some containers this year. if i was going to do containers as a first time grower i would fill them with 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 top soil (just plain dirt), 1/3 organic compost. also if you can find unpasteurized worm castings i find they are one of the best organic nutrients.
as far as plants i would probably plant some kales and lettuce from nursery starts right now, along with some radishes from seed. all three are cold tolerant. then i would plant some tomatoes from starts in mid may. if you are growing tomatoes in containers, don't go for the really big tomatoes like beefsteak. y ou want vine tomatores, romas, or smaller heirloom ones. cherry and grape tomatoes grow amazingly in containers. it can be difficult for the plant to produce many large tomatoes with a smaller root system in a container or pot.

also just grow whatever you are interested in growing from nursery starts. it's not that hard and it's a good way to build confidence.

edit: incorrectly said to use radish starts when they don't transplant well and turn over fast enough to grow from seed.

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 28, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hell Yeah posted:

also just grow whatever you are interested in growing from nursery starts. it's not that hard and it's a good way to build confidence.

Kind of the most important thing.

Hell Yeah is talking about multi-season planting. If you want to maximize your yield per year this is super important. By picking the right varieties you can grow a garden four seasons of the year.

Thanks, Hell Yeah.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

even if you can't get unpasteurized worm castings or can't afford organic seeds or compost, just buy some poo poo and plant some seeds and starts. eating food you've grown yourself is extremely satisfying and relatively little work for what you get out of it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I have some samphire seeds, but I'm scared to try to grow them. It seems that full sun and sandy-soil is recommended, but I don't know when to plant or how much to water or how deep they want to root (I'm thinking container) or what questions I didn't think to ask because I don't know what I'm doing.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I have a long stretch of a raised bed in my courtyard and a rooftop full of containers. This is my fourth year in my house and each year I've been expanding on what I'm growing bit by bit. Started a couple compost bins last year and from this year I've been trying something like a no-dig approach in my main bed. The rooftop is much warmer so progress up there tends to be a bit quicker but in the end down in the courtyard is where things grow the healthiest. I transplanted my tomatoes last week; three types (Dark Galaxy, Costuluto Florentino, and Black Vernisage from seeds saved from last year) -- one of each down in the main garden then seven pots up on the rooftop. Plus some peas and black corn are already taking off. I never really succeed with tomatoes in containers but hopefully this year will be different.

Now I'm starting my usual summer-time greens: kangkong, Molokhia, and Malabar spinach. The first two have always done great for me in my hot and humid climate and this year I'm trying out the other for the first time. Plus okra, Thai chilies, eggplant, and some other things either coming up or planned.

This is I think the third year of my blueberry bush and finally it was absolutely packed with flowers which all seemed to have been pollinated successfully. I also planted an ume tree two winters ago and this year it had some flowers and two actual fruits which was a surprise. Unfortunately aphids have taken a liking to the tree and I haven't had much success keeping them off it.

Also this year I am finally getting into the mulching game. I've been gathering pine needles from various places around where I live and going with that for now.

Here are some pictures.

Rooftop. So far mizuna at the front there is the most happy. Corn, bean, and tomatoes at the back.

The main courtyard. Right now I'm letting a few kale plants and spinach flower and go to seed so hopefully it all grows back next year. The right side is bitter melon and little gourds planted to climb up that bamboo screen to better shade by bedroom come summer. You can't really see it but next to the chairs on the right side is kind of a regional prickly ash/Shichuan pepper tree. There are so many varieties that I've never been able to figure out the proper official name of this type. I had one growing before when I moved in at the very end of the bed but I never trimmed it and the thorny thing grew to be absolutely huge and was a pain in the rear end so I took it down.

Very happy blueberry bush.

Out of control cabbage that is taking forever to form heads but it looks like it is finally starting. Once the heads do form and I can harvest it I'll clear this space out, lay compost, and probably plant okra.

At the end I have scallop squash under those bottles, some garlic sitting around, corn now sprouting, and some beets buried somewhere. I've given up on trying to pull up the clover as it seems to do a good job cooling and protecting what it grows over. The other ground cover-type thing is dolnamul which I've never quite been sure of the English name of (maybe stonecrop?) but it is a favorite wild spring vegetable of mine here in Korea. I was planning to grow it when I moved into this house and it ended up actually popping up all on its own. I also have some pots back here of dallae which is a wild chive that keeps growing back.

guri fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 29, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

roomforthetuna posted:

I have some samphire seeds, but I'm scared to try to grow them. It seems that full sun and sandy-soil is recommended, but I don't know when to plant or how much to water or how deep they want to root (I'm thinking container) or what questions I didn't think to ask because I don't know what I'm doing.

do what I do: leave the soil for native plants and use vats+trays for exotics.

Get or make a big waterproof vat and flood it and throw some vat creatures in. put a pump in there and get it ready to plumb up to the trays.

Trays are shallow waterproof vessels full of some inert media and put somewhere sunny. The vat should continually be pumped into these trays. Cut a hole and make a siphon valve so that the water will periodically completely drain from the trays and go back to the vat. Put seeds in rockwool and throw them in the trays. Eventually they'll sprout and grow.

This is like aquaponics although you could dispense with the vat animals and just dump in some nutrients. It's also the reverse of aquaponics because the things living in the water are selected to provide nutrients to what you want to grow, where in aquaponic systems usually you select the plants that will provide enough filtration to support what you want in the vats.

Google affnan valve and you got an easy siphon for the trays. I think for your use you could use a super cheap saltwater aquarium even.

Where did you get those seeds? Because I've wanted to specifically get those so I could test them as a nutrient export in my aquarium for a long time now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
PS there's a low growing sort of vine thing growing on my property. It produces blue flowers and green berries, and I can't get rid of it. Every node forms a root and you have to tear out every root to eliminate the thing. It also does not wilt in winter and stays green all year. Am I going to be digging these fucks out until I die, or... what? It's loving everything up and I'm losing the plants I want at an alarming rate.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've got some tomatoes, garlic, strawberries, cayenne pepper, and cilantro planted and growing, and some okra seeded, which should be sprouting soon.

it's the first time i've gardened myself, but my dad used to regularly plant a variety of things. he's a lazy old fart so i would end up tending it more often than not so this isn't purely blind. I went with plants that yield food or herbs because i frankly don't give a poo poo about aesthetics. if it's not psychoactive or has some value as food i don't think it's worth my time. i'm one of those weirdos who would till my front yard if i could get away with it.

we'll see how this goes. i have very limited garden space so it's just a little bit of everything, and easily tended.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Hey OP I have some garden beds that were overrun by long grass, I slashed the grass, killed a ripper looking snake and now I’m just pissing and making GBS threads and throwing my food wherever into the cut grass and I want to know what sort of new snakes I can expect

E: bear in mind I’m Southern Hemisphere and coming into winter, subtropical climate

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bugs off of heirloom tomatoes without pesticide?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
using poo poo or meat to make compost is a higher tier technique and you can get somebody sick if you don't know what you're doing. Rule of thumb is to let it hot rot for a year before working it into vegetable compost but i just usually crap in toilets, so i don't really know for sure.

pissing on hay is a good way to get nitrates and can even be used to make explosives, but it's a very slow process from what I can tell

Zeluth posted:

same.
Also how do you kill those rear end in a top hat grape beetles or phylloxera. Phylloxera(s?) blow balls i hate those fuckers. They really screwed me over last year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
ive got one of those rotating compost bins and it freely spins every time i clamber on it to piss it rotates and throws me off and i end up drenching myself in my own urine. the neighbors, oddly enough, do not seem to care

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'd recommend using your normal piss jugs; once the jug is full dump it in the compost without clambering.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
anyone got any experience ranching earthworms

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
raised beds not connected to the soil below can prevent undesirable crossbreeding with wild populations, if you're aiming for specific traits in your worms

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’m hoping for a nice crop of green snakes but coming into winter I’ll be happy with a few baby cobras

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Are these dues for this co-op worth it? I like to put in, now you gouge me more?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

its gardening adjacent but id love to participate in a CSA

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
compost chat: i manage the compost system for a local community garden as well as my home stuff. because it's fairly labor intensive (no rotating bins for us, thank you very much) it usually only gets turned once a week so i try and keep it from running too hot - about a 80/20 carbon/nitrogen mix. takes probably 8 weeks to get from first laying down to usable compost.

the garden is across the road from a school so I'm not going to risk pissing on the compost - is that a nutrient or a control?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is my greenhouse

it has... tomatoes, peppers, herbs, veggies, and a lot of various flowers

it's my happy place

oh yeah as far as soil goes keep it organic, you can make everything you need from worm poop and leaf mould. get some rock dust in there, make some biochar, the only problem is you can't have enough soil.

blumats are great as well once you have experience in the various failure modes

Mozi fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 29, 2018

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
I enjoy attempting to garden, but i kill everything i come in contact with. The only curse i have that emits a stronger negative effect is fishing.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

notanarsonist posted:

I enjoy attempting to garden, but i kill everything i come in contact with. The only curse i have that emits a stronger negative effect is fishing.

:same:

I couldnt raise an earthworm

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Zeluth posted:

There is always good old fashion by hand removal. You can do a mixture of diluted dish soap and capsicum (though I have heard this is incredibly hit or miss). You can also do a mix of clove oil and water. If it is a problem every growing season, stay away from that genus for a year or two and the bugs will typically move on to greener pastures. Pest control on an organic garden isn't particularly easy :mad:. Also, and I've had luck with this, undersow basil with your tomatoes. It discourages pests and you get to eat the basil!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

notanarsonist posted:

Grow radishes. They will grow even if you try to kill them.

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

I did this with strawberries as a child. We bought 5 plants with zero experience with them. Turns out if you don't keep those fuckers boxed up, they spread like weeds. Over a period of 3 years, it got so bad we tilled the entire garden, and they still came back that year. We have since moved the garden, and abandoned the patch.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Zucchini is also good because even if only a plant or two make it you will have so much zucchini you'll be whipping it at your neighbours

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

Lacey posted:

Zucchini is also good because even if only a plant or two make it you will have so much zucchini you'll be whipping it at your neighbours

I don't know. You sound confident but i'm already in trouble for whipping things out around my neighbors.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Lacey posted:

So much hate for the zucchini growers of the world. You grow a gnar veggie and then when you can't eat the twenty-four tons of it your one plant produced you foist it off on any dolt that will take it.

Seriously though we started just blasting tons of it through the food processor and freezing it into little 1-cup portions. They are perfect for throwing together quick zucchini breads!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

notanarsonist posted:

I don't know. You sound confident but i'm already in trouble for whipping things out around my neighbors.

:lmdbo:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

do what I do: leave the soil for native plants and use vats+trays for exotics.

Get or make a big waterproof vat and flood it and throw some vat creatures in. put a pump in there and get it ready to plumb up to the trays.

Trays are shallow waterproof vessels full of some inert media and put somewhere sunny. The vat should continually be pumped into these trays. Cut a hole and make a siphon valve so that the water will periodically completely drain from the trays and go back to the vat. Put seeds in rockwool and throw them in the trays. Eventually they'll sprout and grow.

This is like aquaponics although you could dispense with the vat animals and just dump in some nutrients. It's also the reverse of aquaponics because the things living in the water are selected to provide nutrients to what you want to grow, where in aquaponic systems usually you select the plants that will provide enough filtration to support what you want in the vats.

Google affnan valve and you got an easy siphon for the trays. I think for your use you could use a super cheap saltwater aquarium even.

Where did you get those seeds? Because I've wanted to specifically get those so I could test them as a nutrient export in my aquarium for a long time now.

i really don't think an aquaponics/hydroponics setup is an appropriate suggestion for someoen who seems like a beginner.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

guri posted:

I have a long stretch of a raised bed in my courtyard and a rooftop full of containers. This is my fourth year in my house and each year I've been expanding on what I'm growing bit by bit. Started a couple compost bins last year and from this year I've been trying something like a no-dig approach in my main bed. The rooftop is much warmer so progress up there tends to be a bit quicker but in the end down in the courtyard is where things grow the healthiest. I transplanted my tomatoes last week; three types (Dark Galaxy, Costuluto Florentino, and Black Vernisage from seeds saved from last year) -- one of each down in the main garden then seven pots up on the rooftop. Plus some peas and black corn are already taking off. I never really succeed with tomatoes in containers but hopefully this year will be different.

Now I'm starting my usual summer-time greens: kangkong, Molokhia, and Malabar spinach. The first two have always done great for me in my hot and humid climate and this year I'm trying out the other for the first time. Plus okra, Thai chilies, eggplant, and some other things either coming up or planned.

This is I think the third year of my blueberry bush and finally it was absolutely packed with flowers which all seemed to have been pollinated successfully. I also planted an ume tree two winters ago and this year it had some flowers and two actual fruits which was a surprise. Unfortunately aphids have taken a liking to the tree and I haven't had much success keeping them off it.

Also this year I am finally getting into the mulching game. I've been gathering pine needles from various places around where I live and going with that for now.

Here are some pictures.

Rooftop. So far mizuna at the front there is the most happy. Corn, bean, and tomatoes at the back.

impressive.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is also pretty great.

also to the guy who is afraid to grow anything op is right about radishes. just plant them in the plain dirt in your yard and they will grow with no nutrients or anything and you'll have actual food that you grew in like a month. i like to take radishes and ferment them like a traditional sauerkraut or kimchi.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hell Yeah posted:

also to the guy who is afraid to grow anything op is right about radishes. just plant them in the plain dirt in your yard and they will grow with no nutrients or anything and you'll have actual food that you grew in like a month. i like to take radishes and ferment them like a traditional sauerkraut or kimchi.

Thinly sliced, on pumpernickel with cream cheese and thinly sliced red onion.

Sooooo very good.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

So much hate for the zucchini growers of the world. You grow a gnar veggie and then when you can't eat the twenty-four tons of it your one plant produced you foist it off on any dolt that will take it.

Seriously though we started just blasting tons of it through the food processor and freezing it into little 1-cup portions. They are perfect for throwing together quick zucchini breads!
I use them to make something similar to this: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/zucchini-fritters-recipe-2104953

but panko instead of flour, an extra egg and good herbs instead of dill. If you have a big reversible grill/griddle pan you can cook a huge batch quick (on the flat side of course)

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

my mom asked for some squash plants this year and i was like you mean one squash plant mom. one squash only.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hell Yeah posted:

my mom asked for some squash plants this year and i was like you mean one squash plant mom. one squash only.

What variety are you thinking?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

What variety are you thinking?

i dunno i've never grown squash before. i'm just gonna buy some random squash starts and pot it up in some peat moss and homemade compost and vermiculite for her. squash is the sort of thing i would rather just buy out the store but she wants to grow it for home made zucchini bread.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would be more interested to grow eggplants which i hear have the same problem of producing shitloads and then you have to become a eggplant jehovas witness trying to talk to your neighbors at 8:30 in the morning on sunday and get rid of some of this fucken egglant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure I'm growing stuff in the carpet in the back of my car under the seats, is there a specific herb you recommend that doesn't get too tall or need much light?

• Locked thread