Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets

Brownhat posted:

No one deserves to win in a week 17 league.

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2018. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • Football Absurdity is a Goon-run football/comedy website that also happens to host lovely fantasy football cheat sheets.
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
  • Gridiron Experts: Previously a free site, they've decided to go for a free model this year.
Useful Premium Resources
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.
Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Spoeank posted:

Here's an updated twitter list for fantasy:

Twitter
Real NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

The Fantasy Footballers - some people don't like them (too much fluff) but they are insanely accurate
@JasonFFL
@AndyHolloway
@ffhitman

CBS Sports
@DaveRichard - might be the nicest guy in fantasy
@JameyEisenberg - doesn't sleep
@HeathCummingssr - contrarian takes
@CTowersCBS - mix baseball/football
@AdamAizer - Trash takes

ESPN
@MikeClayNFL - The only one worth your time on their godawful analysis network
@StephaniaESPN - ok, Stephanie Bell is good, too.

NFL
@ChrisWesseling - Former Rotoworld writer, great real life football knowledge
@GreggRosenthal - Same
@AdamRank - Fantasy Analyst

Rotoworld
@LordReebs
@JoshNorris
@EvanSilva - The GOAT
@RotoPat - The guy who writes the funny Rotoworld blurbs

Yahoo!
@scott_pianowski
@AndyBehrens - boring
@LizLoza_FF
@MattHarmon_BYB - The Reception Perception guy.
@YahooNoise - Accurate/ballsy, but can take over a twitter feed

Misc. Writers/PFF Guys
@friscojosh - The Airyards Guy. Kind of an rear end in a top hat but has great WR insight
@CDCarter13 - FF #taeks and owning the ilbs
@LateRoundQB - JJ Zachariason, Editor-in-Chief at Fanduel & Numberfire
@ChrisRaybon - DFS Expert, but gives some good insight
@ScottBarrettDFB - Head PFF Fantasy Analyst, extraordinarily good info
@MikeTagliereNFL - lead NFL Writer, Fantasypros
@Allinkid - Lead Writer, The Athletic Fantasy
@4for4_John - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@TJHernandez - DFS Director, 4for4

@HarrisFootball - lol gently caress this guy

If I forgot anyone lemme know and I will edit them in so Beer can just C&P this

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although personally I find them somewhat repetitive.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has become my favorite podcast.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every year I put together a list of general suggestions for draft strategies, and the community provided some wonderful insight and updates. Now that the NFL draft is over and fantasy football season has started I thought it would be appropriate to revisit those ideas and put together some new thoughts and suggestions. Consider this a living document, and let me know what you think!

Draft strategies are curious things, a strange combination of prognostication and historical analysis. The fact that we're even discussing this right now is indicative of our collective madness. But every year we see the same questions. When should I draft a QB? Should I go RB-RB-RB or WR-RB-WR? Should I get a TE early or wait until the end? I'm in a 2QB/4WR/1RB/FLX/2DST 19 man league with 3.14 PPR and TEs get +1 PPR on Thursday games against teams with blue pants, when should I draft a kicker?

The answer to all these questions is the same: It Depends On The Circumstances.

When you draft a player, you're making a statement. You're telling the world "At this moment I think this guy is the best player available for my team." In order to make that statement you have to have more than a positional strategy, you need to take a holistic approach. You need to take into consideration the needs of your team, the risk of that player under-performing his draft position, the opportunity cost of drafting that player, bye weeks, and a myriad of other factors. Relying on a simple positional strategy omits all of that. Same with relying on a raw value based drafting approach, using rankings, or any other single method. The best drafts combine strategies and consider the whole picture.

1. Know thy league. If your league uses PPR and your cheat sheet is for standard scoring you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Know your roster requirements, number of teams, starting lineups, and all of your scoring rules. Things like 2QB, keepers, superflex (which is a nice way of saying 2QB with the option to fail), big play scoring, and six point passing touchdowns can dramatically alter how you draft. You should also know your opponents and their tendencies. Is one player a massive homer? Consider how that will affect his draft strategy. Does your league tend to draft QBs super early? Exploit that by picking up valuable skill positions and going with a streaming QB approach. This also applies to whatever sources your opponents use to draft, such as the default rankings.
  2. The level of risk you are willing to take should correlate with the round of the draft. Your early picks are not for flyers, they're for reliable sources of points that can form the core of your team. I've come to be very risk averse in my early picks, mostly because of the damage done by drafting guys like Darren McFadden or Toby Gerhart. Look at the history of your player and any disruptive factors (age, usage, coaching change, team change) that could increase the uncertainty of the prediction. I'm also not a fan of taking rookies in early rounds for this reason.
  3. Know the opportunity cost of your draft choices. Opportunity cost is the essentially the price you pay for the road not travelled. In fantasy terms it's the value of the players you won't draft because of your choice, either because your positional need is decreased or because someone else will draft them. This is one of the core philosophies behind value based drafting, but it's more than just points. It requires you to not only know how you will draft, but ideally also your opponents. Will you drafting player X force your opponent to draft player Y, or will that guy still be around on your next turn? The greatest feeling in the world is when you make your pick and someone after you cries out in anguish.
  4. Develop your own tools for draft day and practice with them. I started making BeerSheets because I wanted something I could print out, bring with me wherever I went, and know that I could follow it to create my team. It needed to be fast, easy to read, and provide enough information to make the right decision without overwhelming you with data. Some drafts let you bring computers, others are just yourself and your mind. Whatever the rules, make sure you have the tools available so that you can stay on top of the draft order and always get the most value.
  5. Tiers are superior to strict rankings. There is no way to predict that player X will do better than player Y with enough fidelity to rank them before the season starts. This is why I'm such a fan of using tiers to determine the relative projections of players. Realistically if two players are ranked right next to each other then there probably isn't enough of a difference to matter and you should be considering other qualities such as historic performance, opportunity, injury risk, competition, and upside.
  6. Don't be a homer, but it's okay to have multiple guys on the same team. Aside from bye weeks it's not that big of a deal. What you don't want to do is be predictable enough for someone else to exploit your tendencies. The other side of this is drafting players from your team's rival. Can you stomach having someone you hate on your team? If the value is there consider swallowing your pride. Moral victories are for losers.
  7. Don't be afraid to reach. The best experts in Fantasy Football average a 60% accuracy. Remember that the numbers are just guesses, and if you have a gut feeling there's nothing wrong with going with it. In the end it's your team and you should be happy with it.
  8. The less predictable a position, the later that position should be drafted. This means drafting kickers and DSTs very late unless your scoring rules are weird enough to require a special strategy. Unless your draft rules require that you fill out your roster then don't bother getting a kicker. Use that last pick on a total flyer and see if anything changes leading up to Week 1. Just don't forget to pick up a kicker off the WW before your first game.
  9. The maximum value you will get for your trade bait is the draft pick you just wasted, so don't even bother. Some people exercise a strategy of picking someone up with the express purpose of trading them immediately. Remember, the four QBs you cleverly picked up even though you didn't need them were passed over by everyone else. You just sacrificed a team need for a lottery ticket that isn't likely to pay off. This is a particularly egregious mistake in the top half of the draft. This is different from drafting a late round flyer and hoping they turn out to be a sleeper, which is sound draft strategy.
  10. You can lose your league in the draft, but you win it in the waiver wire. No matter how well or poorly you draft, that's only a part of the game. Once the draft is done the real game begins. Follow the waiver wire religiously, and don't be afraid to drop your late round scrubs for something more promising if you get more information. I'm less enthusiastic about preseason trades unless you have access to new information or you're fleecing a homer.
  11. Mock until you can draft in your sleep. Mock drafting is a fantastic resource. Not only is it fairly fun, but it also helps you see how players will be taken and understand trends. If you can get to the point where you can instantly see a reach or a steal then when the real draft happens you'll be far more prepared.
  12. Challenge your perspective. It is far too easy to rely on preconceived notions or preliminary assumptions when dealing with Fantasy Football. Constantly challenge your perceptions and seek out sources that disagree with you. Find data wherever you can and honestly assess it, even if it counters your original train of thought. At worst you'll have an even stronger understanding of things. At best you may discover you were wrong.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If it's a 1 keeper league, the goal should just be to keep the best ADP bargain, or a top end stud like Brown or Johnson if you have one, and then just treat the draft and subsequent rankings as a redraft. Don't reach on young guys because it's a "keeper league" because it's not.

Also, as an aside, one keeper leagues are dumb and pointless and you should either do a full blown keeper/dynasty or just do a redraft. Tell your league to stop sucking

Spoeank posted:

DON'T 👏 DRAFT 👏 TIGHT 👏 ENDS 👏

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think you are missing a pretty fantastic fantasy resource. :v:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

welp, slow draft time, right? :shepface:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I think you are missing a pretty fantastic fantasy resource. :v:

Write up a blurb then.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Is it too early for hot takes?

I think I would rather have Saquon Barkley than Zeke Elliott this year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

There's a pretty strong correlation between RB draft round and their rookie performance. First round RBs have a really good history. Using half PPR:

Leonard Fournette (2017): RB8
Christian McCaffrey (2017): RB11
Ezekiel Elliott (2016): RB2
Todd Gurley (2015): RB7
Melvin Gordon (2015): RB50
Trent Richardson (2012): RB2
Doug Martin (2012): RB8
David Wilson (2012): RBLOL
Mark Ingram (2011): RB40

It seems like at least recently there is a trend. Given the limited lifespan of RBs teams are willing to draft early and then run them into the ground.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Trent Richardson was RB2 that year?!?!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Zack posted:

Trent Richardson was RB2 that year?!?!

Yeah. There's a reason he was a first round pick in fantasy drafts the following year.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks, Beer!

Need just a few more for a slow draft. The only requirement is that you write a short blurb about your strategy going in, them analyze how it worked out after drafting is done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

That is a hot take. I think barkley will be overdrafted for his performance this year. Too many mouths to feed on that offense.

Zeke, if healthy, is a top 3 RB I think.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zauper posted:

That is a hot take. I think barkley will be overdrafted for his performance this year. Too many mouths to feed on that offense.

It shouldn't be at all controversial, Zeke easy pick over Barkley.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Zauper posted:

I don't believe there's too many mouths to feed. MIN had plenty of mouths to feed but Shurmer made sure they all got fed. You don't take a RB at #2 and then not feed him. Especially with some of the crazy poo poo Gettleman was saying about Barkley in the presser. "He was touched by the hand of God." I'm guessing that offense will run through Barkley now and he will have a large receiving role as well. He's a phenomenal receiving back and Shurmur knows how to use a guy like that. His inclusion hurts the target shares for the other pass catchers, I'm guessing. It will be harder for ODB to repeat as a top 3 WR and Engram's ceiling might disappoint some but I don't think there will be a cap on Barkley, even as a rookie. He's the best back in the history of Yards Created.

On the other hand, I don't think Dallas has done nearly enough to help their team and Zeke isn't going to get any help on that offense. It's the Lesean McCoy-Bills conundrum, where an elite talent gets depressed by the system around them. All they've added at WR is Allen Hurns and 3rd rounder Michael Gallup and I don't have high expectations for a Hurns/Terrance Williams/Cole Beasley/Gallup group. TE is a huge question mark and a potential black hole after Witten's sudden retirement as well. As good as Zeke is, I don't like backs on offenses where the passing game can't contribute. So I'm thinking Dallas will take a step back this year and finish under .500. That makes me believe Zeke has a decent chance of disappointing if taken in the first.

Shadow edit: I completely forgot Terrance Williams exists but who could blame me.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 30, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

I don't think there will be a cap on Barkley, even as a rookie. He's the best back in the history of Yards Created.

Interesting analysis there, but I think it actually dampens my expectations relative to the crazy hype I've been reading about him. Barkley had some fairly poor rushing games this year, and in the sorts of metrics that article looks at, he's basically an all around back similar to (or slightly better than) Mixon, Hunt, or Zeke, but with poorer inside running. If you bump up Penn State's oline yards blocked to the college average, Barkley's ypc up the middle bump up to...almost average. NYG definitely isn't the dream landing spot Dallas was for Zeke his rookie year either. Maybe he makes up for it enough with receiving, but in redraft I'm definitely taking a handful of RBs before him and in dynasty (especially superflex) I'm going to try to trade out of 1.01 if I can get a haul.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Zauper posted:

Too many mouths to feed? For the Giants? Without OBJ last year, the only offense they outproduced was the Browns. With Benjamin back, they now have 2 mouths to feed.

With Zeke I worry a bit about the lack of any real receiving answer for DAL. On the other hand, it's pretty widely acknowledged that Dez hasn't been good for a couple of years, so I wonder how much that'll really impact things. Hurns doesn't seem like the guy to open it all up, but he's been a 1000 yard receiver more recently than Bryant.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
My keeper league currently keeps trades in an excel spreadsheet, and chats via SMS. It's not ideal.

Has anyone made good software for off-season trading & chatting?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Fansy posted:

My keeper league currently keeps trades in an excel spreadsheet, and chats via SMS. It's not ideal.

Why not just use MFL for the league so you can do things year to year.

It also has a built in chat function, but I use GroupMe and Slack for most of my leagues.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Ben Nevis posted:

Too many mouths to feed? For the Giants? Without OBJ last year, the only offense they outproduced was the Browns. With Benjamin back, they now have 2 mouths to feed.

You're also forgetting Evan Engram who was and will continue to be a very integral part of that offense, and Sterling Shepard who Did Things in the few games he played last season. In the end it's really impossible to project out what the Giants offense is going to look like this year by using last year as a baseline because the entire coaching staff and a shitton of the roster has turned over. I see them playing out a little bit like the Saints offense traditionally does in that they have a stacked offensive roster filled with guys who all have the potential for a top 5 performance on any given week, but you'll never know which one is going to pop.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

You're also forgetting Evan Engram who was and will continue to be a very integral part of that offense, and Sterling Shepard who Did Things in the few games he played last season. In the end it's really impossible to project out what the Giants offense is going to look like this year by using last year as a baseline because the entire coaching staff and a shitton of the roster has turned over. I see them playing out a little bit like the Saints offense traditionally does in that they have a stacked offensive roster filled with guys who all have the potential for a top 5 performance on any given week, but you'll never know which one is going to pop.

I guess it depends on what you call a mouth to feed. I mean, those guys exist and can catch balls (and can be worthwhile fantasy assets), but pretty clearly demonstrated last year that they're not the players that can be The Guy. The Giants let ~220 carries go this offseason and will give Barkley every chance in the world to be The Guy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fansy posted:

At the very least use Google Drive since you can all collaborate there. That and a Slack channel would work.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The Giants do not have a "stacked" offensive roster. They have a WR1 who is coming back from injury and appears to also be a headcase/suspension risk. They have an ancient QB who is 4-5 years past his prime. And they have Engram, who is very good. Everyone else is a JAG or worse.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

coronaball posted:

The Giants do not have a "stacked" offensive roster. They have a WR1 who is coming back from injury and appears to also be a headcase/suspension risk. They have an ancient QB who is 4-5 years past his prime. And they have Engram, who is very good. Everyone else is a JAG or worse.

Define "stacked" then? I mean, they don't have a superstar at every skill position but that is nearly impossible in the modern NFL. Assuming that Saquon is even half of what he is hyped up to be, the Giants will be rolling out an elite WR1, elite RB and good/maybe elite TE. That's as good or better than some of the best offenses in the league. I agree that Eli is past his prime, but he can still make plays when the pocket doesn't collapse within a second of snapping the ball and accordingly there have been a lot of moves to shore up the O-line this off-season.

I'm not saying they are locked and loaded to put up 40 points per game, but like I said, the Giants' roster is very analogous to what other high-powered offenses like the Saints, Falcons or Steelers have. I don't think there's any reason to doubt that the pieces are there to put up a lot of points, it's all about whether the players and coaching staff can gel and execute.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A stacked offense does not preclude running back production, anyway. A stacked offense means more first downs means more opportunities for the back. A stacked offense built around the passing game also means a lot more end zone pass interference calls, which means more goal line TDs for Jonathon Stewart

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
'Ey yo 2018 Fantasy Football let's gooooo time to turn it all around babyyyyyyy

Last year was particularly bad for me but it was all my own fault—I didn't do the same level of research I normally do. I'm going to try to visit this thread a little more often than last year's thread.

Starting with slow draft. Hopefully I made the deadline in time!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/990236612427681792

Between this and shady mccoy likely starting to grind to a halt, 2018 is going to be #dontDAB

Draft A Bill

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

https://twitter.com/bobbyfantasypro/status/991163491053600774

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And now the season can begin.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Look, when you have a chance to spend fantasy draft capital on the guy on his fifth team in seven years with 250 career carries, you gotta pull the trigger

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Define "stacked" then? I mean, they don't have a superstar at every skill position but that is nearly impossible in the modern NFL. Assuming that Saquon is even half of what he is hyped up to be, the Giants will be rolling out an elite WR1, elite RB and good/maybe elite TE. That's as good or better than some of the best offenses in the league. I agree that Eli is past his prime, but he can still make plays when the pocket doesn't collapse within a second of snapping the ball and accordingly there have been a lot of moves to shore up the O-line this off-season.

I'm not saying they are locked and loaded to put up 40 points per game, but like I said, the Giants' roster is very analogous to what other high-powered offenses like the Saints, Falcons or Steelers have. I don't think there's any reason to doubt that the pieces are there to put up a lot of points, it's all about whether the players and coaching staff can gel and execute.

The big difference between the Giants and the Saints, Falcons and Steelers is that the Saints, Falcons and Steelers have quarterbacks. Eli put up his lowest yardage in a decade last year, and his second lowest TD total since his first year. They have more receiving pieces, but given Eli's trajectory, expecting an offense like the Jags last year seems pretty likely to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Eli was fine the year before. Giants just had the worst O-line in the league last year. As well as losing their elite WR1. As well as having a non-existent running game. As well as having a terrible coach who lost his locker room.

I expect a big bounce back from Eli this year. He's not elite, but if you protect him, he will make the throws.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks, Beer!

Need just a few more for a slow draft. The only requirement is that you write a short blurb about your strategy going in, them analyze how it worked out after drafting is done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617

Guys, we are still a couple slots short of this. Let us know if you are interested.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

RCarr posted:

Eli was fine the year before. Giants just had the worst O-line in the league last year. As well as losing their elite WR1. As well as having a non-existent running game. As well as having a terrible coach who lost his locker room.

I expect a big bounce back from Eli this year. He's not elite, but if you protect him, he will make the throws.

I mean, he was better in 2016, but it was still a drop off from his highs of 14 and 15. I guess you can hope it's a 2 year aberration and not a 37 year old QB starting to slide.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Doing fantasy basketball only increased the pain of this long dark summer, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about fantasy football this early

All I want is Josh Gordon.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So Sleeperbot does dynasty leagues now. I’m thinking of moving my NFL.com dynasty league there. I can’t do MFL, everyone in my league (including me) hates the layout/design, so I think this is our next best option.

However, I’m pretty sure no one in my league knows about or uses sleeperbot, so that’s giving up a pretty huge advantage for me... :gonk:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Yessssssssssssssss

His time has finally come......again.....probably.....maybe....

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

So Sleeperbot does dynasty leagues now. I’m thinking of moving my NFL.com dynasty league there. I can’t do MFL, everyone in my league (including me) hates the layout/design, so I think this is our next best option.

However, I’m pretty sure no one in my league knows about or uses sleeperbot, so that’s giving up a pretty huge advantage for me... :gonk:

Anything you need that fleaflicker can't do?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

Anything you need that fleaflicker can't do?

Was fleaflicker free last year? I remember deciding to go with NFL.com over fleaflicker last season, but now I'm not sure why.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Was fleaflicker free last year? I remember deciding to go with NFL.com over fleaflicker last season, but now I'm not sure why.

Yeah, always been free, main downside is no auction draft, and until this off-season, they didn't break out defensive positions, only had DL, LB, and DB, not separate DE, DT, CB, and S, but they just added that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

Yeah, always been free, main downside is no auction draft, and until this off-season, they didn't break out defensive positions, only had DL, LB, and DB, not separate DE, DT, CB, and S, but they just added that.

Ahh yeah we had an auction start up draft last year, so that was the deal breaker.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer, for the OP...

Football Absurdity is goon run and an excellent fantasy football resource. It blends comedy and information to let you know what players you should be looking for. Football Absurdity has games, puzzles and personality quizzes. What it doesn't have is information on the value of Mike Davis!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Is every article going to contain Mike Davis this year? After not talking about him last year it's the least you can do.