Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

took the week off to ride fatbikes in the groomed trails in Cuyuna MN. flow in the snow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fabulous

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

exe cummings posted:

took the week off to ride fatbikes in the groomed trails in Cuyuna MN. flow in the snow!

I keep meaning to rent a fat bike in winter, how deep can the snow get and still be fun? How viable are they on ice?

We get a ton of standing snow where I live but its rural so while there's lots of trails its likely id have to be breaking trail a lot of the time

Got into XC Skiing this year which owns, think next year i might try and see if i can get my dogs to do dog racing, apparently its a thing here

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
xc skiing is great, doing it with a dog is even better. teaching our girl to slow/stop on command on the downhills was the hardest part. once she gets some speed up she doesn't want to stop running. my fat bike is unfortunately in another country at the moment, but it depends a lot on snow conditions as well as depth. loose, fresh stuff can be hard going, but it's often great after a couple days' consolidation. you can definitely still skid out - if you get a lot of ice then studded tires are the way

had a huge dump of fresh snow last night and it was a bit much for even my fattest xc skis, went snowshoeing instead. stomping through the deep snow is seriously hard work compared to gliding over the top

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i really want to do some xc/backcountry skiing but the cost of entry is so high. used skis/bindings are like $500, plus boots, plus avalanche kit :negative:

here's me clomping around in snowshoes with my cute little dog

fArt.jpg

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

I keep meaning to rent a fat bike in winter, how deep can the snow get and still be fun? How viable are they on ice?

We get a ton of standing snow where I live but its rural so while there's lots of trails its likely id have to be breaking trail a lot of the time

Got into XC Skiing this year which owns, think next year i might try and see if i can get my dogs to do dog racing, apparently its a thing here

You can pack and ride your own trails up to about 6 inches or so (it's real hard work). Above that you'll need to pack it with snowshoes first. Cuyuna had about 3 feet of snow, but they have grooming machines. Anything not groomed or well-packed was unrideable. In the right conditions the groomed trails can get very fast and grippy which is really fun.

w/r/t ice, studded tires will let you ride black ice on pavement like it's a warm summer day. On natural packed trails it's unusual to encounter ice. we did not attempt to ride the frozen lakes, but I assume there would be enough traction just with the snow.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i really want to do some xc/backcountry skiing but the cost of entry is so high. used skis/bindings are like $500, plus boots, plus avalanche kit :negative:

fArt.jpg

This is awesome! i love snowshoes

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

fArt.jpg

very nice!

everyone here has a bunch of old skis in their garage so you can usually pick up a set for $50 or so. i wouldn't take my xc kit into avvy terrain though - there are some really cool looking xc skis these days that are almost alpine in their profile and are designed for steep stuff, but i think I'd need to learn proper Telemark technique to get the most out of them

check this poo poo out, you can ride them with nnn-bc bindings and leather boots

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
cool cool next year ill grab a fat bike, mix it up

or a snowbike :negative:

I never could get into snowshoeing, its always like not that snowy so id rather post hole or I'd have to do like a 6+ mile approach to actually needing them or id rather just hop on skis. The couple times i rented them they seemed like to much work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i always thought it'd be cool to do snow sports but never lived in a place where it made sense weather-wise

but i really like the idea of cross country skiing and snowshoeing and snow camping and stuff like that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
cibola national forest:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
always blows my mind how much larger scale things are out west, like something that looks 100 yards away is actually 500+

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
and slightly north, this was nearer salida CO:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
very good dog

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
that is (princess) buttercup

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks like she is about to awoo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i walked the trail behind the office.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

did you see any wildlife

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i walked the trail behind the office.

did you step on snek

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
do you count kids from the episcopal school next door smoking weed in the woods?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

do you count kids from the episcopal school next door smoking weed in the woods?

only if they're smoking weed with the snaek

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

only if they're smoking weed with the snaek

they call that 'doing an eden'

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i bought a box and put bugs in it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wish my lot were big enough to have a bug box without the police coming to shoot them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah we'll see lol

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

by this time tomorrow i'll be on a train back to zhangjiajie to walk around the mountains alone for a week

stretch goal: don't look at a screen at all for 6 days

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a train to outside? what a nice thought

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
watch out for the train police

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lord funk posted:

by this time tomorrow i'll be on a train back to zhangjiajie to walk around the mountains alone for a week

stretch goal: don't look at a screen at all for 6 days

how will you take pictures for me to look at itt with no screen time?

p rude imo, prioritizing your own mental health like that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
we took our new tent for its first outing. verdict: a++ tent. still getting freezing temperatures and fresh snow almost down to sea level here, it looks like i packed my skis away prematurely

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

looks like a hell of a tent

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my previous tents have been tiny ultralight things for alpine stuff so it feels very luxurious to have so much space inside. and the doggo seems happy in it, which is important

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am waaaaay too much of a snow coward to tent camp in snow, looks like a beautiful spot tho.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

did you see any wildlife

turn off your monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

we took our new tent for its first outing. verdict: a++ tent. still getting freezing temperatures and fresh snow almost down to sea level here, it looks like i packed my skis away prematurely

i wont lie.. that looks cold

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that can't be true, it's nearly summer here

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

how will you take pictures for me to look at itt with no screen time?

p rude imo, prioritizing your own mental health like that.

well, almost no screen time

the park is accessible via busses that take tons of people up to the viewing areas. but if you just find the trails up / down the mountains, you can be on your own completely away from everyone else

on my last day, i hiked down the mountain and didn't see another human for three hours. it ruled

monkeys are cute and all when they're hanging out beside the people trails. but one day, i took my lunch into an area where i was all alone and got ambushed. two monkeys dropped down from the trees, one of them was an arm's length away and hissing / growling in my face. as soon as i realized they wanted my food, i stuck it into my backpack and showed them my empty hands, shouting '没有!没有!’ ('don't have!' because they're chinese monkeys, of course). glad i got away from that one without a scratch

mandarin ducks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
right on