Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

gently caress rose bushes. Forever and always.

What’s your beef

I like the ones that came with my house because they’re basically like weeds and seem unkillable despite my neglect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The overall name is still Boy Scouts of America. They’re changing the name of one of their programs, the program generally aligned with older kids.

Some dudes are pissed.

The Girl Scouts are super pissed and vocal about it, saying that the BSA is already dealing with financial mismanagement and sexual abuse problems and that adding girls will only worsen the issues.

Girl Scouts have long advocated single-gender environments, even if the BSA didn’t have any scandals.

This is like when my buddy argued that gays shouldn’t be integrated in the military because they’d just get beaten up

Naturally we should be kicking all the assholes out of Boy Scouts as we do this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good. No one should be living in Arizona and New Mexico anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

there are weapons that can remotely take down an aircraft? you don't say

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So it looks like we are expanding the Forever War (again)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../?noredirect=on

countdown until us troops eat a saudi rocket and things get awkward

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The bolt blows the equivalent tesla out of the water. Basically all of the big auto manufacturers have EVs and hybrid options that are better than anything Tesla has to offer minus a 21” lcd in the middle of your dash that controls everything.

Chevy should try making their $30-40k+ Bolt/Volt cars look less like $10k poverty boxes. The Bolt is reminiscent of a drat Nissan Versa.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fyi this is why you don't "give Melania a break"

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/993873517010702336
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/993878216883482624

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t think Melania is writing her own statements and I don’t think she’s even giving much input at all.

Until I receive proof that she's been locked in a prison cell since inauguration I'm going to go ahead and assume that she's a free woman with the agency to make her own decisions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Her husband is Donald Trump.

His other wives managed to escape.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Honestly it's probably worthwhile going to court with him now since he's pretty much guaranteed to gently caress up his own case, vs. dealing with whatever attorney represents his estate who might actually be half competent. Assuming she actually wants to walk away with a piece of his property.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Unironic good news!

Remember this rear end in a top hat from Charlottesville? The one that fired at the Flamethrower Hero?

https://twitter.com/JoeHeim/status/993949044174131203?s=19

Apparently he was planning to go to a full trial and argue self-defense, then gave up and pled no-contest. The government then presented the case, judge found him guilty of firing a weapon within 1,000 feet of a school property. Max is 10 years.

How the gently caress did they not get him for attempted murder

He's on video pointing his gun at someone and pulling the trigger

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Was it aimed at the dude and missed or did he aim away? 10 years seems reasonable at least?

He aimed at the guy and the gun jammed or misfired. He then racked the slide and fired into the ground, presumably after thinking twice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

In other news, some rich people bout to get super mad.

https://twitter.com/MikeDorning/status/993959164216037376

the party of business just cost Boeing a cool $20B lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat, that sucks. I get the feeling USAA might only be obligated to pay back the difference in premiums between full and minimum coverage, which would only get him a couple thousand dollars back. And that’s if he was actually being charged for full coverage.

Suing the hit and run driver is probably the only real recourse.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 9, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nevermind

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 10, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I read an interesting reddit post today talking about how, exactly, a Portugese cow farmer like Nunes might have become compromised:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/7jmngr/trump_dossier_firm_republicans_leaked_bank/dr83rxc/?st=jh0jw9w2&sh=0b56ddd3

Since it's insanely lengthy, here's a TL;DR:

quote:

Nunes has personal/family connections to the Portuguese Island of Lajes, which was very dependent on the US military base for their economy during the Cold War.

As the base fell out of use over the past 20 years, Nunes tried unsuccessfully to pass funding bills and get projects allocated to the island to help boost their economy.

In 20111-12, Russian sub activity increased in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, possibly after someone leaked info to them about NATO tactics and defenses.

There is speculation that Nunes, along with some pro-Russian Portuguese, leaked this information in attempt to use the increased Russian sub activity into justify re-opening the base as a sub hunting base.

So Russia has dirt on Nunes unrelated to Trump, and he could be in tons of trouble if it comes out that he was part of the leak. ——-———-

Obviously you shouldn't actually give the idea much credit, but Nunes' massively antagonistic role in this whole thing is just so drat confusing it's nice to see a possible motive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mods change my name posted:

Can't wait for Tesla to die

Too bad it will be seen as a judgment on the worth of the electric car and not as an example of what happens when you let a megalomaniac infant run a business

SpaceX would probably have died years ago if not for Shotwell

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What the gently caress does Uber even spend money on? Insurance policies that don’t pay out? High priced lawyers?

They pay their drivers peanuts so it kind of stumps me how they could be hemorrhaging money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

golden bubble posted:

The cost of an Uber is still too low. The company eats at least 20% of the true cost of a US Uber ride. In foreign markets, the size of the subsidy is even higher, breaking 50% in some places. Uber achieved their impossibly low prices by losing money on almost all rides.

Yikes. Is Lyft doing the same thing or are they trying to keep their expansion more manageable? It's not like you have to do much to compete with loving Yellow Cab on quality of service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You want pick up? Ok, be there in 45 to 200 minutes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Aren’t their battery packs COTS cells wrapped together?

I think they’re just 18650 batteries. The cells themselves probably represent a tiny fraction of the complexity of the power system.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is absolutely tax fraud. Cabbies are well aware that nobody carries cash in 2018 and they’re losing fares, they just think not having to claim income is worth it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I read a news story just recently about some landscaper company that had a simple system for years:

- Cash only
- Never made a bank deposit
- Never collected sales tax
- Never paid sales tax
- No deductions
- Cash in hand employees
- At tax time either no income or the bare minimum declared income year after year

Then phase two:

- Divorce
- No agreement on how to split the assets
- No one can agree on anything so it goes to court
- Judge: "Uhhh y'all haven't paid taxes or declared income for years on hundreds of thousands apparently, so I'm just gonna make a little note here. Also no one's co-operating really so whatever you have is shared and when the taxman comes along to levy a fine, y'all are going to share that, too."

I’ve read a lot of stories about landlords not depositing rent checks for years at a time in order to hide income during a divorce. It never fools the judge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

you can't sit on a check for years

You totally can, but it's up to the bank to decide to cash them. Sitting on a check for years at a time is probably an exaggeration, but I've seen people get really boned when a landlord cashes a bunch of checks at once that are 6+ months old.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

But we already do funnel money to the Taliban

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gang violence is almost universally conducted on associated members of minority communities so it takes a lot of lying to get white suburbanites to believe it can happen to them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Then why are they always deleted immediately

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The loving Advocate? Jesus Christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Up next is an article in Ebony lionizing the FBI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress yeah, buckle up boys

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'll take a week if Trump talks about the piss tape

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

poo poo like this is why CNN sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7e-0X8lds

Who gives a poo poo?

If trump hammered CNN as stupid rather than fake, that’s something I might agree with him on.

Funny rear end stories about goons getting owned are not why CNN sucks dude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

Karmic retribution for having a large part in the growth of Gamergate really

I really tried to give him a chance when all that poo poo was going down but it became clear he was actively loving with people and using his fanbase to attack them.

Still, he didn’t deserve anything like what happened to him and from what I can tell he calmed the lovely behavior way down in recent years. RIP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

HEY GUYS BEFORE YOU READ MY POSTS JUST KNOW I HAVE UPDATED MY PRIVACY POLICY!

My posts, GDPR, and you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who the gently caress are these people that only slither out to post bad faith arguments against gun control

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lightpole posted:

Strict constitutionalists appear to be interested in maintaining their advantage or superiority to the detriment of everyone else.

"Well regulated" is literally in the text of the 2nd amendment but it's not a phrase you see a lot of right wingers clamoring for people to adhere to. Just like states rights, they're only strict about it as long as it suits their purpose.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Words ans phrases have different meanings over the years. 200+ years ago, when the founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment, "well regulated" meant well trained. And militia had the definition of any able bodied male 15 to 45. Word's meanings change dude.

No poo poo. The point was that the right wing act like literalists when it comes to the 2nd Amendment in general but suddenly find a lot of room for interpretation when people propose regulation.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The escalator's innocent

quote:

A witness told police they saw a man "clowning around and riding the rail of the escalator"

• Locked thread