Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo I'm down for it. Economic liberalization, free trade, and entangling economic ties are some of the best ways to prevent war between nations (though by no means sufficient in and of themselves).

Also normally I'd say economic liberalization leads to political liberalization but I think the entire GCC puts that lie to bed. Still a good thing in and of itself however.

Ahhhh. No. Most wars are between trade partners. Including the worst wars. Marriage, trade, blood relations, all of these things are assumed to dampen the likelihood of war but they flat out DO NOT.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Caufman posted:

Isn't this partly explained by the fact that nations trade with other countries they are close enough to go to war against, and nations go to war against other countries they're close enough to trade with?

That's part of it. Look at basically the entirety of European and African history for examples. Guess who Japan's biggest trading partners were in the 1930s. Everybody knows the example of Germany and the USSR, and of *insert whatever combination of European nations* in 1913. The Mongols. Pre-colonial SE Asia. If you're trading with someone, it means they have something you want. Guess what starts a lot of wars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

For the second, you are assuming that the military is the only place that those future technologies will come into being and that the private sector is unable or unwilling to do so. The question is if the redirection of dollars to the military actually is the best way to do this instead of increasing research funding at public universities or in the private sector.

That's an interesting way to put it, considering military research is mostly done AT universities or private companies, under .gov contract. This model works pretty well, since until there's an identifiable commercial benefit, the private sector will rarely make large investments (I don't know if this predates the model or not) and universities have had shrinking budgets for anything except sports and administration salaries for several decades now.

Third World Reggin posted:

Wait, they named the barge Floating Chernobyl, but that name has been taken by the USS enterprise for years

It has 8 reactors and was designed as a gently caress you to congressmen

Mobile Chernobyl, and Enterprise had 8 reactors. :rip:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

If that's the case just cutting out the middle man and sending money straight to the universities instead of routing it through the military may be more efficient. The government can create incentives to move research in a direction if they want. The question is if military research is efficiently finding technology gains that translate to the private sector. The private sector is not currently asked to fight two simultaneous wars and do whatever else as well. I really have little thought in this except for a half remembered economist article from awhile back so please correct me.

The military does it because advancing science and technology is a national security interest. Even NASA rides the .mil coattails. It's not so much a middleman as the military is the de facto research agency for the government. As far as finding gains that translate to the private sector...loving look around you. Basically everything you touch has benefited directly or indirectly from military research and development. From microprocessors that power everything now to the logistics train that puts it on your doorstep. The interstates are a military project ffs.

lightpole posted:

Was just rather surprised at some of the conclusions being reached such as free trade increasing wealth disparity and unrest and then being a bad thing.

My only point was that trade doesn't prevent wars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Saw a report that the WC-130 was a 1965 tail, and may have been starting a ferry flight for retirement.

Edit: Here, have a video post: :(

onezero posted:

Crash captured on surveillance camera of local business:

https://twitter.com/scottoftroy/status/991727656860299264

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:stare: Holy poo poo. They're just going to ineptly try to disappear Rudy, Killary style.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

I thought I recognized him. He did a year in the federal pen for violating mine safety regulations, after that coal mine of his blew up and killed 30 men.

I thought felony convictions disqualified him from the Senate.

There's no federal law that DQs a felon. State laws can, though. This was a big issue when Manning decided to run. :rolleyes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

There are enough people making more than $200,000 to $1 million a year, where upping the maximum taxed amount would help fund SS for a poo poo ton longer than it's gonna last now.

Back when America was Great the higher income tax brackets were above 90%.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Wasn't it was trivial to funnel that through a shell corp at the time?

Isn't it now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In actual news, Hawaii is going to tip over and capsize from the volcano eruption and the 119 earthquakes detected so far, the strongest of which has been a 6.9, the strongest since 1975.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:stare: holy poo poo

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i wonder when SF units are gonna use electric cars so they can toot around at night with quiet little cars

As soon as the range makes EVs relevant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo, my mustang doesn't do much better than 200 miles to a tank

But refilling it doesn't take 10 hours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Neither do quick charging stations. It's not 2008 anymore, and it's not gasoline fast, but EVs can fill up in about a leisurely meal.

We're talking about special forces in the field, how about you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's an O-8 equivalent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

E: ^ Everything about that is infuriating. Lawyer up and best of luck.

mods change my name posted:

I'm glad Boeing got hosed

You realize that if Boeing starts struggling Airbus is next in line to pick up the slack, right?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 9, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't give a gently caress I hope all big companies crash, they are not good people or friends.

Crash is the appropriate term, given the subject. Like it or not, there are two real airlines competing for most of the business in the world. If I have to pick one, it's going to be the American one that employs people I know and makes products I consider superior to the foreign competition. :shrug:

That's not to say that I haven't said "What the gently caress Boeing?!?" on numerous occasions when I was flying on one of their planes regularly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was until the government blocked those sales. :mad:

Edit: I'll usually join in when Boeing is actively trying to gently caress the .mil with a contract, or when they get busted doing shady poo poo. But this move is just a straight up loss for the US, and a bunch of average/little people are going to end up feeling it long before the execs. 100+ aircraft orders is a big loving deal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Like, I get how this sucks for the employees and possibly potential employees, but, you can't deny that a majority of these people probably voted for this poo poo

edit: and if you're concerned about the ~market~ and poo poo like that then you're part of the problem hth

I know for a fact that none of the people I know who will be impacted by this voted for him.

And yeah, since pensions are a thing of the past I do kind of want the market to do well. I'm already less than thrilled that my retirement plans had to completely restart in my mid 30s. It would be nice to not work until literally the day I die.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Well they could pay their management and executives less and keep everyone working if they really cared

Why on Earth would they do that? They don't care, and fallout like this doesn't touch them in any meaningful way.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I literally just started my coffee, but yes that's what I meant. E:fixed :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Relax Ghole I was just trying to get your goat

I really should make sure I'm awake before wandering in here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

Bush didn't involve a gutting and wholesale dismantling of our diplomatic apparatus.

Remember how, during the 2000s, it was painfully obvious that the gutting of centuries' worth of experience from the nation's intelligence services in the "Peace Dividend" cutbacks was biting us in the rear end?

We're doing the same thing to the diplomatic agencies. And the IC is still years from recovering from the 1990s.

This is not good, DR. It will take more than a generation to recover from, if it's even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's making sure it draws more attention when he mysteriously ends up with radiation poisoning.

• Locked thread