Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

He probably fell into the resurrect rhea path by accident.

That is a common pitfall, trying to complete anor londo if you've started the redirect reah quest makes the fight harder, they get about 1.5x health and damage iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
what steps do you have to take to be on the path by that point? i’m wondering if i’ve done this unknowingly each time or if i’m just a scrub, lol

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
pretty sure if you’ve collected the doll or the firekeeper soul in the chapel it’s already too late. but you can force the quest to fail by killing patches in the catacombs before he moves to tomb of giants

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bear named tators posted:

what steps do you have to take to be on the path by that point? i’m wondering if i’ve done this unknowingly each time or if i’m just a scrub, lol

They're joking around, not talking about real game-altering quests. The main AL boss fight is always a challenge to new people because the game doesn't train you properly on how to approach it solo. The only thing that changes in that fight is if you kill pikachu or snorlax first. On the other hand, it's a great fight to sunbro for so no room for complaints there from me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ignore those clowns. Did you talk with Domhnall of Zena?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Ah, I thought it was weird I’d never heard that before! I haven’t touched the game in months because I got to the Anor Londo boss on NG+ and got my rear end handed to me all over again.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The real question should be what kind of Prong Damage you're rocking. You didn't go Hoplite Templar, did you?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

As long as Smough doesn't spam that bulldozer ability the Super Londo Bros are doable.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Ah, I thought it was weird I’d never heard that before! I haven’t touched the game in months because I got to the Anor Londo boss on NG+ and got my rear end handed to me all over again.

ppl are doing the "save Aeris" joke of Dark Souls

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think I used the firekeeper soul from Lautrec to improve my estus - am I really locked out of firelink forever?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pointsofdata posted:

I think I used the firekeeper soul from Lautrec to improve my estus - am I really locked out of firelink forever?

Until NG+

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wow that's weird, pretty much the whole community agrees the anor londo boss fight is the easiest in the series

Edit: clearly I am.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Started a broken straight sword run last night. Gargoyles were actually a challenge again. :unsmith:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

And Tyler Too! posted:

As long as Smough doesn't spam that bulldozer ability the Super Londo Bros are doable.
Well, I got to these guys and they ate my lunch and handed me my rear end. Woof.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Dremcon posted:

Started a broken straight sword run last night. Gargoyles were actually a challenge again. :unsmith:

I've tried this and no matter what I just don't have the patience. I punched the asylum demon to death once and it took like 20 minutes. It's interesting how this game draws out people's masochistic tendencies. IMO It's much more fun to get stupid overpowered and do a 3 hit Gargoyles :v:

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

It's interesting how this game draws out people's masochistic tendencies.

I think we’re just chasing our first Souls high...

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Dremcon posted:

I think we’re just chasing our first Souls high...

I did a few SL1 runs and they felt like the right balance between being more challenging and being more tedious, for my tastes. I'll never have the honor of a broken straight sword or fist only run. I don't know how people like LobosJR have the patience to do insanely difficult and tedious runs, but it's good entertainment.

Also the randomizer mod is a great way to breathe new life into the game, especially if you disable all the safeguards so you get some completely bonkers results like bosses where some dumpy hollow soldier would normally be.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

betterinsodapop posted:

Well, I got to these guys and they ate my lunch and handed me my rear end. Woof.

Unsure if that's better than if they ate your rear end and handed you your lunch

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

3 hours of Smough and Ornstein attempts, only downed one of them once. This fight sucks so much more than anything in DS3.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When in doubt, Greatshields Out!

Also maybe summon some help. There's no shame in co-op, and that player needs those sunlight medals.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
This worked for me:
Smough is extremely weak to Velka's Rapier, and Ornstein is weak to fire (eg. Quelaag's furysword). + Silver or Black knight shield for lightning resistance.
Use the Solaire summon to draw aggro, and humanities to heal if you're running out of estus.

edit: I have this entirely the wrong way around - Ornstein is weak to occult weapons (like Velka's), Smough is weak to fire vvvv [and bleed].

edit2: Priscilla's dagger does both occult and bleed/life hunt damage, so should work well for both?

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 28, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hi liter posted:

3 hours of Smough and Ornstein attempts, only downed one of them once. This fight sucks so much more than anything in DS3.

If you don't care who you knock down first, abuse the pillars in the room and kite them around. Ornstein can keep up with you better, so you can draw him to one corner of the room while Smough gets suck on some pillars, get some hits in, and run away.

Don't stay locked onto one of them if you can't see or comfortably estimate where the other one is in relation to you, and ideally don't let either out of your camera view. Don't get greedy. If you eat up all your stamina hammering the attack button, you'll get caught exhausted or committed to an attack when the other guy catches up to you. And break your lockon and manually turn the camera if you need to keep them both in view. Manual camera aiming without using the lockon is going to be a recurring thing in multi-enemy fights across all the games, so this is a good time to get that practice in.

Or Summon Solaire and let him distract one of them while you bully the other.

Chalupa Joe posted:

This worked for me:
Smough is extremely weak to Velka's Rapier, and Ornstein is weak to fire (eg. Quelaag's furysword). + Silver or Black knight shield for lightning resistance.
Use the Solaire summon to draw aggro, and humanities to heal if you're running out of estus.

Smough's also very weak to bleed damage.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Or Summon Solaire and let him distract one of them while you bully the other.
This is what I ended up doing. Solaire kept Smough busy, and I lit Ornstein up with pyromancy (specifically: great combustion.) I killed Orny, then went and beat up Smough with Solaire. Smough didn't seem to care for fire dmg, either.
Was just so relieved to get that poo poo OVER with. Praise the sun, indeed.

Also found it very worth it to kindle the Anor Londo bonfire.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seconding summoning Solaire - with Smough occupied Ornstein is super easy to beat, like easier than the guys outside the room. Big Smough is then a bit tricky as he does so much damage, but you've probably done enough attempts at this point that you can dodge him OK - 2 hand your weapon for this bit, no point even trying to block.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Big Smough was super easy for me once I worked out a good strategy. I just went up to him, ran away as he started an attack animation, then did a sprint attack on him just after his attack finished. I didn't get hit once and it felt very safe

Actually getting to that point did take many, many tries though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Big Smough was super easy for me once I worked out a good strategy. I just went up to him, ran away as he started an attack animation, then did a sprint attack on him just after his attack finished. I didn't get hit once and it felt very safe

Actually getting to that point did take many, many tries though

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Went and fought the disgustingly named "Ceaseless Discharge."
First time, nearly got him. Second time, I equipped the Dragon Crest shield, cast Flash Sweat, and put on the Gold Hemmed set.
Got him. So much easier than Super Londo Bros!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

betterinsodapop posted:

Went and fought the disgustingly named "Ceaseless Discharge."
First time, nearly got him. Second time, I equipped the Dragon Crest shield, cast Flash Sweat, and put on the Gold Hemmed set.
Got him. So much easier than Super Londo Bros!

There's an even easier way to beat him.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah now that you've beaten him properly, go look up the cheese method on youtube

You'll probably lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm thinking about trying a build I've never done: dagger (or another quick attacking Dex weapon) and a bow. I've never used bows for anything but pulling enemies. I really want to see how this might work out. It'd certainly be a divergence from my standard "pick a strength weapon and whallop enemies with it" approach to Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm thinking about trying a build I've never done: dagger (or another quick attacking Dex weapon) and a bow. I've never used bows for anything but pulling enemies. I really want to see how this might work out. It'd certainly be a divergence from my standard "pick a strength weapon and whallop enemies with it" approach to Souls.

Bows are fairly boring if you use them all the time, but they can do good damage and are a useful tool to have handy.

With daggers, the basic one is mostly good for ripostes. Bandit's knife is better overall, particularly since even if you can't riposte it inflicts bleed. Even unupgraded it can totally chump bleedable enemies. I would recommend starting as thief to get one. you also want to get the silver tracer from Ciaran, which is as good or better and does toxin instead.

other dex weapons: thrusting swords are very strong and you can get both the estoc and rapier early on. for curved swords, the falchion is very powerful when two-handed, and Ciaran's gold tracer is excellent and does bleed. you could also do katanas or the Balder sword or silver knight sword, but those are slower and less of what I would call quick-attacking.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Bows are fairly boring if you use them all the time, but they can do good damage and are a useful tool to have handy.

With daggers, the basic one is mostly good for ripostes. Bandit's knife is better overall, particularly since even if you can't riposte it inflicts bleed. Even unupgraded it can totally chump bleedable enemies. I would recommend starting as thief to get one. you also want to get the silver tracer from Ciaran, which is as good or better and does toxin instead.

other dex weapons: thrusting swords are very strong and you can get both the estoc and rapier early on. for curved swords, the falchion is very powerful when two-handed, and Ciaran's gold tracer is excellent and does bleed. you could also do katanas or the Balder sword or silver knight sword, but those are slower and less of what I would call quick-attacking.

Ciaran's daggers are in the DLC zone shortly after Artorias, correct?

I started as a Hunter but I think I'm going to reroll thief. I only played thru the Asylum before switching over to Mario Odyssey. Not sure what I'm looking for out of video games at the moment, so I'm circling through some of my favorites for inspiration.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I started as a Hunter but I think I'm going to reroll thief. I only played thru the Asylum before switching over to Mario Odyssey. Not sure what I'm looking for out of video games at the moment, so I'm circling through some of my favorites for inspiration.

Yes, you gotta kill Artorias, reload the zone, and either kill the NPC in his arena or give her his soul. If you kill her you keep the soul, at the cost of being a jerk

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Wildtortilla posted:

Ciaran is right after Artorias. Kill him, sit at the Township bonfire, then run back to his boss room.

IIRC you can just give her his soul for the weapons. Or you can kill her and get her clothes too. She will disappear the next time you hit a bonfire after you talk to her though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've done a bow only run in Dark Souls and had a good time with it as a challenge run.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

I've done a bow only run in Dark Souls and had a good time with it as a challenge run.

No arrows? Must have taken forever punching all the bosses to death with your bow

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the porcelain mask you get from ciaran is one of the dopest-looking helms in the game imo. worth killing her for

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The whole outfit is great. Wish there was a less psycho way to get it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
funny bow fact: if you shoot quelaag in the human part of her body, she gets staggered every time no matter what she was doing. you can completely stunlock her this way, only needing to slightly adjust your aim for the small amount of movement she gets between shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

There's an even easier way to beat him.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah now that you've beaten him properly, go look up the cheese method on youtube

You'll probably lol
Just looked it up! Are you kidding me?! :laugh: