Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nrook posted:

I always thought of those guys as being dinosaur butts for some reason. I realize this makes no sense thematically but that’s the vibe they give off

Is there any subtle lore reason why they’re all there? Some of the weirdest enemies in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want a possible lore explanation, apparently Valley of Drakes is pretty close to directly above Lost Izalith. They could be the corpses of dragons that were dumped down there and got animated by the flame of chaos.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They are the animated remains of DeadDragon the Thousand-Assed, who got corrupted by the Bad Stuff and severed his thousand asses and cast them into the Chaos below

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There are 29 dragon butts in that room. I feel like it wouldn't have near the goofy reputation if they had just left it empty, or a handful, or like reuse the other half dragon head/torso from the other two areas it appeared instead. Refighting Taurus and Capra in the field of fire was already kind of lame, but yeah a very strange decision - the moving flamethrower statue guys are also really strange. Good thing those chaos blenders were there to provide some flair.

Pared down, the lava lake could've also been another cool approach to a foreboding destination for Izalith that didn't need a ton of enemies, like the big steps before the Drangleic Castle and so on, but I understand they ran out of time on a lot of aspects of that area.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

nrook posted:

I always thought of those guys as being dinosaur butts for some reason. I realize this makes no sense thematically but that’s the vibe they give off

They remind me very strongly of this guy

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Lost Izalith would have been better if it was darker. The brightness almost makes it read as an outdoor area (especially in the second half) when it's actually deep underground, encased in a gigantic dome.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe that's what the witches wanted?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brb going to ariamis for some gigantic dome

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

And yeah what was the deal with all those dragon butts?!

I was told that Nito is the one who cut them in half and zombified them by a friend. Not sure if thats lore or not but it sounds cool to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Allegedly the dragon butts were supposed to be a different enemy entirely, I think even to the point where their actual animation rig is "correct" but their visuals are obviously recycled.

There's also evidence that Izalith was originally intended to be the Great Swamp. I assume closer in nature to DS3's non-poison swamp area than just being Blighttown 2. I kinda almost like the lava better, but I can imagine it intentionally being concocted to shrink the amount of actual playable space and cover up how unfinished the area is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not THE Great Swamp, but a swamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRvPILuBkg

And it looks like this guy made a mod to restore the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYt6KO0QfjE

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Aw hell yeah. Dark Souls really was missing a giant swamp

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lower Lower Blighttown

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dabir posted:

Not THE Great Swamp, but a swamp.

I mean, it's debatable. Pyromancy having a strong association with a "great swamp" and then the in-game area connected to pyromancy turning out to have originally been a big swamp is certainly an interesting coincidence.

In the final game, they're absolutely not intended to be the same location, but I'm left to wonder if the lore about the Great Swamp is in fact largely transplanted from their original ideas for Izalith.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Now that I think of it, the same sort of thing potentially applies to the Duke's Archives and Vinheim. A magic school with a dragon motif in a world that just so happens to have a separate repository of magical knowledge owned by a dragon. They could've easily just bundled up all the leftover ideas they had for Duke's and attributed them to a different distant location. Kind of a win-win because it means those ideas don't go to waste and lore is infinitely cheaper to create than physically representing things in-game.

Entirely possible I'm barking up the wrong tree though. They really play up the sort of melting pot thing where everyone you bump into is from yet another far away kingdom where they wear this type of hat and they've all come to Lordran because it happens to have something important to their whole deal. I'm not discounting that it's simply a separate and intentional motif of some kind (with DS3 going on to elaborate on the concept by having entire kingdoms literally get sucked towards Lordran rather than mere individuals being drawn in).

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any tips for 4 Kings? Just this and then I can do the last boss, it’s been great! Gona finish Bloodborne next I think. Still got the Dark Souls DLC to do tho and NG+. Great game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any tips for 4 Kings? Just this and then I can do the last boss, it’s been great! Gona finish Bloodborne next I think. Still got the Dark Souls DLC to do tho and NG+. Great game

Try and kill them quickly so you don’t have to fight multiples at once.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Stack magic resist, stay as close as possible, and just keep hammering them. If you're very close their attacks don't actually do much damage, so I found it was actually not even worth it to dodge, just tank the hit and keep chopping. They spawn every 45 seconds, so as long as you can kill one in that time, you don't have to deal with multiple and can use the inbetween time to heal/buff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also learn the tell for their grab and be ready to dodge it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wanna say my build was able to put on the highest poise armor and just drink Estus through their attacks while killing them and trying to dodge the grabs. That lets you do a lot more dps to kill them on time.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
A trick I learned in the recent AGDQ run is that you can keep attacking the current King body, even as it's doing its dying and dissolving animation. It will keep doing damage to the boss lifebar. So keep wailing away even as its fading out.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grab the stone armor in Darkroot if you go for early game, or full Havel if you’ve been to Anor Londo.

Wail on them with your highest DPS weapon. It’s ok to fatroll and tank a lot of their hits as ling as you do enough damage that they don’t have time to gang up on you.

There is a reason for the Very Large Ember being where it is, and for the Darkwraiths to drop the good titanite.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Note that beating the last boss will automatically kick you into ng+, so do the dlc before that. If you're struggling with 4 kings, consider doing the dlc before them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dabir posted:

Also learn the tell for their grab and be ready to dodge it.

They have a grab? As a terminal user of big gently caress off 2H weapons I've never ever been in trouble with those jabronis

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since I also managed to stomp Artorias first try with magic, I somehow assumed I’d make Manus a pushover as well, but I guess I’ve met my first match in a while

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Black Dragon Kalameet is extremely rude

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I got the platinum trophy in Eldin Rin when it was released. Decided to try the other games. I just beat Demon's Souls PS5 remake, and decided to grab Dark Souls Remastered since it was on sale.

Got a few questions:

What class/build should I go for? In my Demon's Souls run, I went full on STR/END/VIT caveman build. I want to try something else. Not sure if I want to go full magic or a combination of melee and magic. Also I want to just do PvE stuff and try to avoid PvP.

What Covenant should I join? Not familiar with how that system works and would like to join one that doesn't screw over my run.

Any tips would help me out a ton. Thanks!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think any of the Covenants 'screw over' your run. One of them has a useful PvE skill of throwing lightning, but I'm unsure how good a faith-based build is in practical terms. Also requires some co-op to get the second spell. Another gives you a big pyromancy spell just for saying hi.

DS1 was notable for chaos builds where your weapon scaling was not tied to stats, but rather humanity, which allowed for some strange and novel low level builds, and likewise let you dump all xp into upgrading your pyromancy fist. Someone just did that run in this thread, scroll up a bit. Caveman style is very good & easy, particularly with how good poise is, but there's nothing stopping you from using rapiers or whatnot and learning parry timings, if that's your thing.

For splashing out, putting a few tiny points into faith can get you some quality early game heals (and leads into the lightning spear), and a moderate amount of investment into intel can get the spell-sword buffs, but I have no idea if they're actually practical as it's been ages since I've played. Fextralife wiki denizens think it's ok?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 4, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Go Pyro. If you get the Master Key, you only need to defeat one boss to find the first pyromancy teacher, and then another (which might be trickier) to get someone to teach you some insane burns. Or just go the regular route, that's ok too.

The flame is leveled up by souls, and the only stat that influences pyro is that attunement gives you more slots, so you're free to level up a secondary method for doing damage.

I did a run with pyro and the starting hand axe, and it was a fun run.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I always join the cat covenant, just because it makes it way less of a pain in the butt to explore that area

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Covenants don't have a hard and fast rule. Some you can join and leave and it doesn't matter. Some you join and something happens, then if you leave, they get real mad at you. Some, you get a reward, and how strong that is scales with how much you progressed the Covenant, and if you leave, the progress will be reset.

You can't really screw up much unless you have a specific plan in mind so imo just say yes to any Covenant and see what happens. Anything else is for second playthroughs. Unless you want the Plat asap, then maybe check out reward tiers...

As for the build, any sort of magic (including Pyro) is really overpowered, but usually costs quite a bit of Souls; it might also be underwhelming for a while until you know exactly where to go first to power it up. I'd recommend a hybrid build where you don't focus on only throwing spells, but also e.g. use a fast weapon for normal exploration, and for bosses and tough enemies, you can use ranged combat and/or buff your weapon. This can work with both Int and Faith builds. Pyro doesn't have a buff spell, but also requires no stats, so you can do that with any build.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The game makes it sound like Covenants are a big drat deal and that you should walk on eggshells around them, but barring outright attacking and murdering the main covenant NPCs nothing about them is permanent or binding. Switching between covenants does carry the penalty of halving your previous contributions to the one you're ditching (ie, you handed over 30 of an item to rank up, that'll get dropped to 15 when you leave) but even that only really becomes a problem if you're simultaneously investing deeply into them but also constantly switching around for some reason.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why do all these dragons have sword-handle-shaped vertebrae at the base of their tails?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Muscle Tracer posted:

Why do all these dragons have sword-handle-shaped vertebrae at the base of their tails?
They don't; the Chosen Undead was chosen for their insane speed-whittling skills.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Playing a STR build with a big sword and some armor: meh, idk if this is all it's cracked up to be.
Playint a STR build with a big sword, fully nude, and the Artorias Greatshield: oh now THIS is the loving poo poo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

LOL that, in addition to all the dragon tails, you can ALSO cut the tail off the Centipede Demon which does not give you a sword but rather an additional angry fucker you now have to deal with!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can cut several parts off the Centipede Demon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkqhGtqGJOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Went for Artorias with a low effort burnunation strategy: Dusk hat, fully upgraded flame, Power withi.

Set off a Flame Tempest as I walked in. Took out 3/4 of his health bar and was easily finished off with some Chaos orbs. Almost felt like cheating.

It took me three tries :shibe:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Resurrecting this thread to say I defeated Gwyn. He's a definite jump up in difficulty with how fast and aggressive he is. Tried to dance around a stalagmite with him, got him down to "Gwyn," then died because I mistimed a grab.

Then I practiced parrying on the long sword black knights. They have a similar enough swing pattern to Gwyn. Made quick work of him and didn't even need to hide behind a pillar to heal.

Finally, I learned defeating him is the point of no return and need to either reroll or ng+ to do the dlc. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do the dlc in ng+ :D