Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I didn't get into the soulsborne games until last spring despite having had PtDE on the PC for I don't even know how long. Started with Bloodborne and then moved to DS1R, which I've now finished 3 times: NG and NG+ with a quality build with claymore and NG with a dex/int battlemage. Now I'm in NG+ with the dex/int character and running around with the tin crystallization catalyst, dusk crown ring and dark bead melting things in a couple of hits.

On my first playthrough, I very nearly beat Gwyn without taking a hit (on like my 22nd try, when I realized I could parry the anime leap) but goofed at one point. Then, with the battlemage I finally managed to do just that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUiMjJdQvk

Gonna have to try barehanded parries next time.

I'm on PS as GMORFLORD (and located in Europe) in case anyone would enjoy a spot of jolly co-operation.

Edit: Was it in this thread where someone told about an encounter with a white phantom called KILL YOU who they summoned and who proceeded to wreck O&S's poo poo? Because I ran into what was probably the same guy as I went to Anor Londo on my latest playthrough and laughed my rear end off at all the enemies melting before what I assume was a barrage of dark bead.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I platted DS:R as my first platted Fromsoft game a month ago. Couldn't help myself, had to start another character, which I'm now considering to keep in Anor Londo as a jolly co-operator.

Magic was very fun in NG+/++, though.
https://youtu.be/p4UBUSlMZWM

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Serephina posted:

Things I knew beforehand where "put points in hp", and that's mostly it.

Also remember to put points in endurance.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Serephina posted:

Current situation: I think I'm supposed to go to the Tomb of the Giants? But it's dark, I killed two large skellies then bailed since I knew I was gonna get myself killed at that rate. Or maybe the Valley of the Drakes (possible but I feel frail vs them)? Other options include a large golden gate near the entrance of Anor Londo, another Down in the Lava Pits of Hell, The Twisty Tree catwalks of I-hope-you-like-respawning at the bottom of the Poison Lake (which, btw, I cleared BEFORE finding the ring that lets me run through it, siiigh), and a Mist Door to Nowhere at the bottom of the drained lake of Ruined GhostVille, which leads to a spiral staircase downwards and a fatal drop.

Have you fought the big doggo in the forest? If you have, you should have an item that turns that fatal drop into a non-fatal one.

Edit: also, have you found the big ember in ghost town?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Did a spot of jolly co-operation in the Depths a couple nights ago. It went well.
https://youtu.be/CKpHHNIDJ2Y

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Outstanding work

Reminds me of the time i got summoned for O&S and died in the hallway outside because the host wanted to dick around with the giants

This has happened to me several times. Most often because I think the host is going to dick around with the giants but instead goes to summon Solaire and I get cornered by the big fuckers.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Wtf? Suddenly the video has 1k views. How? Why?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

people wanted to see you get humiliated by one of the weakest enemies in the game

(that enemy is actually broken btw, though lacking hp was a big factor in how fast you died)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwffSOSzcAM

Yeah, there was probably some level balancing going on, since in my own world, that guy would hit me for half my hp bar if I flubbed the running attack, not nearly ohko me. I'd been running a farming circuit of the hallway slimes for shards and rats for humanity while waiting to get summoned and I'd gotten quite good at the running attack and that's why I found it so hilarious that I got destroyed like that.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Arivia posted:

I’m finally, finally finishing this game on like my third try. Got Artorias down this morning. It feels excellent to finally stab him out after an hour and a half of attempts. Kalameet/Manus/Gwyndolin/Sif/Four Kings/Gwyn remaining.

Don't give up, skeleton!

After Kalameet and Manus, those last three are gonna be real easy.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I had way too much time on my hands and decided to beat the Asylum Demon with the straight sword hilt without even picking up the estus flask.

https://youtu.be/Puzo0oevKhQ?si=ikwM14iFVEVoOk43

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

What’s the best way to kill those lizard man fucks in Sen’s Fortress? For some reason I’m doing barely any damage with my ~+8 Halbert at about level 50 (estimates as I don’t have the game open)

Parry+riposte, backstab, non-physical damage types.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Noted, thanks! What’s the best alternative damage upgrade path for this part of the game?

You can find the lightning spear within the fortress itself, it's no slouch (I'm told, never used it myself).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dabir posted:

You also gotta get through a bunch of serpents to get it, though.

Fair enough. Pyromancy is a fine choice. I usuallt go with massive physical damage, though, ie. upgrade my weapon to +10, up my damage stats. And then go for backstabs or parries.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Speaking of damage types and resistances, is Smough immune to Dark Bead? I was fighting O&S with a sorcery build in ng+ and either I whiffed DB like 4 times or Smough just shrugged it off. Super Ornstein, however, took about as much damage from it as felt appropriate.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

GodFish posted:

Smough's hammer is a full block shield, if you were hitting that that might have been the problem?

That's very probably it. Though I could swear I hit him square in the side. Oh well, I've got footage of the fight, I'll check it one of these days.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dabir posted:

Dark spells in DS1 deal physical damage, there's no special dark element for them.

That's what I figured. Makes sense Smough's hammer is 100% phys block but when I switched to crystal soul spear, it let magic damage through.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

drat it, I used up all my humanity before O&S. Is there a way to farm it before and also is there a closer bonfire to the boss door than the room with Solaire in? I’m always putting my sign down but getting no summons for some reason, even tho when I did have humanity I saw a bunch of peoples signs. Also any tips on the O&S fight appreciated. Last time I beat them co-op, then ended my run shortly after frustrated and stuck in the painted world with no humanity, so hoping to power on through and finally beat this game this run (lost that previous save).

You can trudge your way back to the depths and farm the rats there for humanity, or try to get summoned for O&S and get humanity that way. Where are you putting down your sign? I find I get matches sometimes if I have my sign down in the Solaire bonfire room.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Where’s the cathedral front door though? Thanks for the tips all btw!

Opposite the O&S fog door in the big hall.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

That Covetous Gold Serpent Ring is a real game changer farming those rats for humanity. Getting like 3 humanities per run in the Depths. Noice

E: Well looks that 3 per run was beginners luck but it’s still much more approachable with the ring than before

Having soft humanity on you also adds to the item discovery, up to 10 humanity.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

Thanks for the ring recs, I'll try a bunch of them out! I will also practice my kicks before I attempt to murder Shiva's bodyguard via gravity. If I gently caress up and aggro Shiva, do I just let them kill me?

Better to kill them if you're aiming to get the ninja flip ring, they'll stay aggroed until you seek absolution. And if you're not invested in the cat covenant, it might be better to go to Blighttown where Shiva and the bodyguard will move to, and kill them there. No handy pit to kick the bodyguard into, but it's just the rwo of them (and mosquitoes). Also, you can buy poo poo from Shiva first and kill them after.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I then proceeded to kill an NPC I thought I had to bust out of the egg. Whoops, did I miss out on anything cool?

Off the top of my head, a couple pyromancies you'd have to jump through some hoops to get anyway. Pyromancy upgrades, too, in case you've killed Laurentius and don't have the pyromancy flame up to +10 yet.

Edit: Also, Sen's Fortress next.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

I beat Capra Demon and came back to Firelink. I talked to Rhea and her bodyguards — how do I keep her from being murdered by Petrus? I’d like to have the option of buying miracles from her later.

Don't kill Petrus while Rhea and the bodyguards are still at Firelink. They'll aggro to you, too, if you do.

After he's led them to the catacombs and returned alone, you can kill him at will.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ulvir posted:

started up a sorc character last night, and somehow magic feels a bit … weak in this. weaker than I remembered it being in the original several years ago. I might be deluding myself, but I had this memory of getting taurus demon down in like three casts or something.

Yeah, it's not quite that powerful at first but once you get your INT up and some more spells, it'll really shine.

Case in point:
https://youtu.be/G5V-phBUjU0?si=UFR8_e1G36kI8HRb

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Serephina posted:

Can you even get those lightning bolts if you play offline?

Yeah, you can farm sunlight medals off the chaos bugs in the demon ruins - izalith shortcut corridor.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Oh yeah! This is the first return I'm doing. PSN people watch out for a stupid looking bob on a stupid looking cleric called "Pertus".

And just as I was ready to give DS1 a rest and move on to Elden Ring.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I conquered the greatest challenge faced so far: roof climb between two silver knights. The items still there but I don't need it do I?

I see the boss door too and know what's coming. First, thought, I'm gonna slaughter silver knights until I get their shield that looks cool. Large club gonna get bloody.

Yeah, I think the item is just some poppable souls. The silver knight shield is really good, though. Club 'em good!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

Rheah left and I killed Petrus, do I need to absolve my sins before I can buy miracles from Reah later?

No, you're good.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can Petrus end up outside firelink shrine somewhere?

I don't think you can find him and his entourage in the catacombs, though that is where they're going story-wise.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Oh man thinking I'd level a bit so I could take down Seath I've gone into the Painted World unprepared, and didn't realise you need hella toxic recovery moss and such... Have I hosed this run? Everything in there is kicking my rear end. gently caress! This is where my last run ended as well, I thought I'd improved and was just imagining it being tough. But no, it's tough. Is there anywhere to get toxic recovery stuff in the painted world?

If you manage to beeline past the mushroomhead hollows to the round structure, you can kill the undead dragon on the bridge (bait a vomit attack on one side and run in to whack the foot on the other side, repeat until dead) and then do a jumping attack on its dead butt at the end of the bridge to make it stand up, run between its legs, drop down to the lower level of the bridge and run unimpeded to the boss fog. Then hop down from the ledge without bothering Priscilla.

Edit: Acquire antitoxic moss and return to exact revenge.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

So I accidentally killed Siegemeyer in Sen's Fortress. (Sorry, bud.) Is the miracle that he eventually gives you exclusive? Or can you buy it from Rhea / someone else later? I can't remember. I'm just soul and item duping my way through this run, but still trying to get all the weapons / magic / etc for the trophies. I think I missed Hush in Sen's, too. No matter how many times I play it, I still get mixed up in there.

Afaik, you can only get it from Siegmeyer. You need to play up to ng+2 anyway if you're aiming to get all the weapons, so get it from him later.

Edit: Oh right, you said you were soul duping, nvm.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

-Parrying Gwyn's opening attack feels good.

Indeed it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0GXwJmhLo

Edit: Fixed embedding.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 25, 2024

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Went up to murder Ingward, and see a goddamn red vagrant on the roof below. Head back down to jump the broken stairs and get to the roof. As soon as I get up the stairs I see a white bullet hell heading towards me, and I'm instadead.

Never got to kill a red one , they're so goddamn rare now :negative:

I saw a red vagrant in the Great Hollow and promptly proceeded to plunge to my death.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ulvir posted:

put the game on hiatus due to things like work happening, and went back in at it. it’s pretty crazy how powerful magic is in this game. so far I only had to do more than one attempt at Capra, Seatb and Bed of Chaos. I was fearing the four kings, but somehow managed to get them down first try almost exclusively with homing crystal soul mass. I even went for the DLC and took down the guardian and in one go :peanut:

I was dreading the Four Kings fight when playing caster, so I went and did the DLC first. Afterwards, Four Kings was pretty anticlimactic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5V-phBUjU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any tips for 4 Kings? Just this and then I can do the last boss, it’s been great! Gona finish Bloodborne next I think. Still got the Dark Souls DLC to do tho and NG+. Great game

Note that beating the last boss will automatically kick you into ng+, so do the dlc before that. If you're struggling with 4 kings, consider doing the dlc before them.