Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Flipswitch posted:

Good to see we're keeping up with our record of redrawing borders

When this is turned down, they'll just redraw it with a bigger buffer zone. Then repeat until Irish reunification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cool, guerilla warfare it is then

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Disappointed to see that the June UKMT has been a victim of the budget cuts

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Honestly with the latest brexit news I'm reaching the point where if labour doesn't go "this is stupid let's not brexit after all" I might just give up on the absolute boy.

I figure we'd probably pick up enough remain voters in Scotland to more than counterbalance the nut jobs who would abandon labour over brexit.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jun/01/the-refugees-who-gave-up-on-britain-new-arrivals

Britain is such a horrible hostile piece of poo poo country that this guy went back to Afghanistan and the Taliban rather than continue trying to deal with the home office

:thumbsup:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What's the point of this buffer zone then. Will it mean two separate border checks, or none?

It kinda sounds like what Brussels wanted all along though, how're they gonna get the DUp to go along with it

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

XMNN posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jun/01/the-refugees-who-gave-up-on-britain-new-arrivals

Britain is such a horrible hostile piece of poo poo country that this guy went back to Afghanistan and the Taliban rather than continue trying to deal with the home office

The hostile environment, working as intended. May saw City 17 in Half Life 2 and thought that was what effective governance looked like.

The more I look at what’s going on, the more I think we’re going to end up staying (resentfully, because we’re assholes) in the EU, while banging the drum of leaving any day now, because the situation is so hopelessly hosed.

Edit: not quite what the EU proposed, because unless I’m misreading the news reporting, there’s no reports of customs checks between NI and rUK. Also, two factories, one producing goods for regulatory alignment, the other for divergence? :lol:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What's the point of this buffer zone then. Will it mean two separate border checks, or none?

It kinda sounds like what Brussels wanted all along though, how're they gonna get the DUp to go along with it

It’s a nonsense designed to further the ‘can kick, will kick’ policy of can kicking the Tories have adopted

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XMNN posted:

It's a more complicated story than that, about how people who come to the west struggle to make their lives work here in spite of efforts to accommodate them here. I don't get the 'home office misdeeds' vibe from it so much as 'the west isn't what you imagined'

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

And then we can license the whole thing out for the Americans to pretend it's the Korean peninsula and make a fortune.

Just need some of those Samsung automated sentry guns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGR-A1

Sorted.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's a more complicated story than that, about how people who come to the west struggle to make their lives work here in spite of efforts to accommodate them here. I don't get the 'home office misdeeds' vibe from it so much as 'the west isn't what you imagined'

Yeah I mean a lot of this tedious bureaucracy that drove him off seems like the stuff that we all have to deal with rather than asylum seeker specific.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I can't see how this buffer zone nonsense will be acceptable to the ROI, and the EU's basically given them veto power on this issue.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rarity posted:

Disappointed to see that the June UKMT has been a victim of the budget cuts

We're having a five day buffer zone where only some posts are in each thread. Please everyone keep track on who is making every fifth post today or you will be enforced by computers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
June Means June (stays in May)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This thing is p funny

quote:

Then there’s Karen Sunderland, Conservative candidate in Lewisham, who wrote that “Islam is the new Nazism”. This is a tricky one to prove, because people who follow Islam support a variety of views, a range of political parties and ideologies as diverse as the Conservative values of Baroness Warsi to the jihadism of Isis. Nazis, on the other hand, all tend to support the Nazis.

If you’re brought up as a Muslim, you will always be considered a Muslim, even if you’re an atheist, in the same way that all Jews are considered Jewish by antisemites, even if they abandon their faith.

I’m not sure the same can be said of Nazis. But maybe I’m wrong and Nazism is a religion, and there are Nazi communities in which families say, “We don’t believe in any of the invading or racial supremacy nonsense – we were just brought up as Nazis, and like the food and the goose-stepping festivals.”

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly with the latest brexit news I'm reaching the point where if labour doesn't go "this is stupid let's not brexit after all" I might just give up on the absolute boy.

I figure we'd probably pick up enough remain voters in Scotland to more than counterbalance the nut jobs who would abandon labour over brexit.
Is Scotland big/contested enough that seats won there is likely to counterbalance lost seats elsewhere?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, this ten mile-thick border idea; wouldn't that basically be trapping everyone inside it within a very long and narrow encampment? And also require two physical borders sandwiching everything between them, making it at least twice as costly to implement (and twice as unpopular)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread, presented by a novel technological solution.

• Locked thread