Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Boner Wad posted:

yeah that’s what I thought too but the yellow threw me off

ya see that yospos image in the top right of your screen

ok, now click it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nooooo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

spankmeister posted:

Also atomicthumbs is the security fuckup imo

In the infosec game you don't disseminate information without the source's prior approval.

Legit, this. Like, he’s not a journo or an infosec guy but :cmon: I’m neither either but that seems like the basic “right thing to do”, you know? Or at very least, give them a pre-publication heads up?

This is more of a “lessons learned” thing than a “he should get :redass:” thing, obvs. Protect your sources or you won’t have any.

E: also, death to pissPOS and all pissPOSers.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i don't think atomicthumbs predicted that it would spread beyond people already following him

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yospos isn't even paywalled. i don't know what sort of privacy you expect posting here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Security by obscurity

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs did nothing wrong

except maybe liking corgis a little too much

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

akadajet posted:

yospos isn't even paywalled. i don't know what sort of privacy you expect posting here.
past iterations of this thread have shown it's worth yospos always being behind the paywall imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

E: also, death to pissPOS and all pissPOSers.

please don't post suicide threats in the pos

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

should've obfuscated the source by switching between yospos and amberpos

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

spankmeister posted:

Security by obscurity

my boss said to use this method for securing APIs

then said something about certificates being dumb and expensive and just leave everything HTTP

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Amberpos best pos.

Also lol @ T-Mobile: went to change my password but they don't allow characters.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Amberpos best pos.

Also lol @ T-Mobile: went to change my password but they don't allow characters.

No wonder, you're quite the character!

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

https://twitter.com/JamesPinnell/status/1033206934273384448

click through to the actual tweet to find bonus content in which epic games ceo tim sweeney complains about the fact that security researchers will publicly disclose vulnerabilities after they get patched out

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Pikavangelist posted:

click through to the actual tweet to find bonus content in which epic games ceo tim sweeney complains about the fact that security researchers will publicly disclose vulnerabilities after they get patched out

I'mma just gonna quote it directly because it's such an amazing :qq: .

quote:

Epic genuinely appreciated Google's effort to perform an in-depth security audit of Fortnite immediately following our release on Android, and share the results with Epic so we could speedily issue an update to fix the flaw they discovered.

However, it was irresponsible of Google to publicly disclose the technical details of the flaw so quickly, while many installations had not yet been updated and were still vulnerable.

An Epic security engineer, at my urging, requested Google delay public disclosure for the typical 90 days to allow time for the update to be more widely installed. Google refused. You can read it all at https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/112630336

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i just backdoored millions of phones trying to earn more money and google is making me look bad :qq:

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

mrmcd posted:

I'mma just gonna quote it directly because it's such an amazing :qq: .

actually this is what i meant

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1033226094357504000

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The whole thing is the corporate nerd slap fight version of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6l_9reaLz0

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lmao android is a dumb broken piece of poo poo

quote:

The Fortnite APK (com.epicgames.fortnite) is downloaded by the Fortnite Installer (com.epicgames.portal) to external storage:

dream2lte:/ $ ls -al /sdcard/Android/data/com.epicgames.portal/files/downloads/fn.4fe75bbc5a674f4f9b356b5c90567da5.Fortnite/
total 73360
drwxrwx--x 2 u0_a288 sdcard_rw 4096 2018-08-15 14:38 .
drwxrwx--x 3 u0_a288 sdcard_rw 4096 2018-08-15 14:38 ..
-rw-rw---- 1 u0_a288 sdcard_rw 75078149 2018-08-15 14:38 x1xlDRyBix-YbeDRrU2a8XPbT5ggIQ.apk
-rw-rw---- 1 u0_a288 sdcard_rw 31230 2018-08-15 14:38 x1xlDRyBix-YbeDRrU2a8XPbT5ggIQ.manifest

Any app with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission can substitute the APK immediately after the download is completed and the fingerprint is verified. This is easily done using a FileObserver. The Fortnite Installer will proceed to install the substituted (fake) APK.

On Samsung devices, the Fortnite Installer performs the APK install silently via a private Galaxy Apps API. This API checks that the APK being installed has the package name com.epicgames.fortnite. Consequently the fake APK with a matching package name can be silently installed.

If the fake APK has a targetSdkVersion of 22 or lower, it will be granted all permissions it requests at install-time. This vulnerability allows an app on the device to hijack the Fortnite Installer to instead install a fake APK with any permissions that would normally require user disclosure.

why is any of this a thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
how is an app that's already running and able to move other apps' poo poo around on the disk a thing that other apps have to work around

is there no sandboxing?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"If the fake APK has a targetSdkVersion of 22 or lower, it will be granted all permissions it requests at install-time."

gj Google.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's not really Android's fault though, beyond giving the user the ability to actually choose to "intentionally disabled the safety controlls and installed a half assed homegrown package manager that doesn't check signatures or really anything beyond a glorified file name."

Like Android's fault is drinking too deeply of the well of FOSS thinking and saying "it's my handheld face computer I should have all the choices if I want" :downs: which ok is a philosophy you can have but unfortunately 99% of the world population makes terrible choices if given the opportunity.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how is an app that's already running and able to move other apps' poo poo around on the disk a thing that other apps have to work around

is there no sandboxing?

apps are sandboxed but they can access shared "external storage" which is typically a SD card, but it might just be another large partition on the phone's internal flash

Shifty Pony posted:

"If the fake APK has a targetSdkVersion of 22 or lower, it will be granted all permissions it requests at install-time."

gj Google.

yeah, Android's legacy permission model is terrible

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, Android's legacy permission model is terrible

They should probably just bite the bullet and lock out old apps, but you just know there's still least a billion people who have that One Critical App For My Life™ that was last compiled from source in 2008 and still pretty much works and if it stops working every shitbox vendor that shipped the app once upon a time will blame Google when their users scream.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It is impossible to install the Fortnite for Android app without actively disabling several security measures. On some phones the carrier settings applied to the phone even make that impossible. This is because Epic were morons who refused to comply with the rules for getting listed on the regular store.

And then on top of it they refused to implement basic methods for verifying signatures and integrity anyway, even though other apps that did somewhat similar things have had those for years.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is there no sandboxing?

the fortnite installer was deliberately not using its own private storage, it deserves all the blame here

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Idea: make every app below a certain APK number, when it tries to run, pops up a big terrifying dialog that days "THIS APP IS OLD AS poo poo GARBAGE AND MAY PUT YOUR DATA AT RISK. CONFIRM OK? Y/N" before the OS executes it.

Please hire me as an Android product manager.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

Idea: make every app below a certain APK number, when it tries to run, pops up a big terrifying dialog that days "THIS APP IS OLD AS poo poo GARBAGE AND MAY PUT YOUR DATA AT RISK. CONFIRM OK? Y/N" before the OS executes it.

iOS solves this problem in the typical Apple way by popping up a dialog that says “this app is too old to be allowed to run at all, tell the developer to fix this”

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Ok

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

It is impossible to install the Fortnite for Android app without actively disabling several security measures.

yeah, if you want to leave important security measures intact, you get to install fortnite for iOS instead

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, if you want to leave important security measures intact, you get to install fortnite for iOS instead

but then you end up with malware on your phone named "fortnite" so you're right back to square 1

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'd be ok with the whole "gently caress responsible disclosure" thing if google practiced it themselves but nah if you find a bug in google's code you have to wait an unbounded amount of time after you report the bug before you can publish your writeup for the bounty to be valid

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'd be ok with the whole "gently caress responsible disclosure" thing

What do you mean by that? Or do you use "responsible" as an euphemism for "vendor's fantasies" here?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

EssOEss posted:

What do you mean by that? Or do you use "responsible" as an euphemism for "vendor's fantasies" here?

question mark dude strikes again

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'd be ok with the whole "gently caress responsible disclosure" thing if google practiced it themselves but nah if you find a bug in google's code you have to wait an unbounded amount of time after you report the bug before you can publish your writeup for the bounty to be valid

there's a difference between "if you want our money play by our rules" vs "ah bloo bloo someone talked about the huge fuckup we committed instead of helping us keep it a secret forever, to our benefit and their detriment"

like dont get me wrong i loving cant stand the android permissions model, android users, and the general android philosophy, but you have to have some serious loving balls to follow the line of thought:

"gently caress google they aren't getting a cut of our money"
"well make our own installer with blackjack and hookers"
"security is optional, what could go wrong"
"oh no how could google not be on our side, refusing to help cover up the fact that our unbridled greed put their users at risk and made them look worse?!"
"HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED"

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

teamdest posted:

there's a difference between "if you want our money play by our rules" vs "ah bloo bloo someone talked about the huge fuckup we committed instead of helping us keep it a secret forever, to our benefit and their detriment"

like dont get me wrong i loving cant stand the android permissions model, android users, and the general android philosophy, but you have to have some serious loving balls to follow the line of thought:

"gently caress google they aren't getting a cut of our money"
"well make our own installer with blackjack and hookers"
"security is optional, what could go wrong"
"oh no how could google not be on our side, refusing to help cover up the fact that our unbridled greed put their users at risk and made them look worse?!"
"HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED"

yeah, but if they did things the same way as every other game developer on mobile then their scrooge mcduck money pit might take longer to fill to capacity

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we did a self-updating capability for our app because we wanted finer grained control on what to distribute to different phones and languages, maybe key rotation some day, and more bandwidth-efficient delivery, but Google got all butt-hurt and changed the Store policies to forbid it. they even admitted that our setup was fine from a security perspective, and they didn’t block use of downloaded code in general.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
that sorta thing aint going to stop until a company can be brought on charges for negligence in relation to IT related poo poo

"yeah our terribly written garbage app that we targeted towards millions of young children had critical security vulnerabilities, but google released it to the world before we had a chance to fix it?? Who is the real bad guy??" shouldn't be a position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

spankmeister posted:

Kevin Beaumont also didn't understand backporting when he scanned the Voatz website.

There was also a thing around that same time where he didn't understand you could be prosecuted for poking at random unsecured public servers. His analysis of Windows malware is good, but the gaps in his knowledge are weird.

• Locked thread