Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
we did it, we solved security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol if you aren't into trains complicated electromechanical systems

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mrmcd posted:

Lol technology was a mistake.

ai will fix it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the forbidden yospos technique

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jose Valasquez posted:

no my mother uses a c++ version, cobol can't handle the kind of throughput she gets

doubt this, you're not going to get the transactional throughput your mom needs on something that isn't big iron

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I will always read DTMF as "Dial Tone Mother Fucker"

don't doxx my alt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/mutablejoe/status/998241891459194887

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Has anyone cataloged LastPass's fuckups with their browser plugin in a single thing? The CVE sites only have a single DoS issue listed from last year and I know there was at least a half dozen trivial fuckups on their part that allowed disclosure of the decrypted store. We're in the process of implementing an internal credential management platform but it isn't ready yet and we need to steer people towards something else to bridge the gap. If I don't have good ammo against LastPass they're going to go there instead of 1Password. Hell, I'd rather them sync a shared OneDrive with a KeepAss db.

type into google "taviso shower"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
is nordvpn any good?

i think i remember like 6-9 months ago that it failed some super basic "signs of a good vpn" checkbox stuff, but i seriously can't remember

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's the way to go? vps + rolling your own?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah, should have led off with that :v:

the bare minimum of putting up a public wifi hurdle, getting in on that sweet sweet ad free eu experience (for all of 2 weeks lol), and maybe getting around youtube throttling on a visitor sim card

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://giant.gfycat.com/BlandTenderDwarfmongoose.webm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
iirc the way the current ios pin enumeration works is by interrupting the 10x and you're out policy by killing the power to reset the counter. this is separate from law enforcement agencies having magic boxes that they plug your phone into and it basically does an entire dump of the phone including stuff that isn't accessible in user space.

1 hour USB timer throws a wrench in both, i think

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lysidas posted:

no, it is not good

what would be good is being able to wipe it and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone, and not have a perfectly functional piece of electronics turn into a several hundred dollar paperweight

one time ipad

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
all of that is null and void if the 2nd party is like "oh hello federal agents, yes here is my phone. the passcode is hunter2", which seems to be the case

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/lifewinning/status/1006546425323376642?s=20

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean it's not even a normal screw it's one of those magical torx bits that only the police are allowed to have probably

the only secure fastener are those screws they use on bathroom dividers

and nintendo security bits

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The US also has this new mobile passport thing and its amazing. Same deal, take a picture, scan your passport, fill out the questions. Scan a barcode when you get in, easy peasy.

global entry does this

it works really well until someone decides to declare candy and booze as "food items" and you have to go to the xray and through customs anyways

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this is a self own in a number of ways...

the servicer of the plus loan in my dad's name offered a .25% reduction in interest for signing up for autopay. in order to set up autopay, you have to fill out a paper form, include a canceled check, and snail mail it to their po box.

nope.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i meant voided. i write maybe 3 checks a year. sorry, i meant cheques.

i already had my bank account info on the loan providers' portal; however, to use the same exact bank account for autopay/auto debit, it required a paper form and a voided check.

my only other reference is my other loan servicer allowed for auto pay on the website.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
probably 50% of the time cards are still be used via magstripe. the only reason why bigger box stores are chip is because they had headlines in the news over a few years of "$STORE HAS 44 MILLION CUSTOMER RECORDS STOLEN"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that was 5 years ago and i submitted a payoff for monday

oh no, i lost out on 200$ amortized over 5 years

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i store all of my passwords in latex

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
a 20 piece mcnugget box: "im in"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
did powershell 3 fix the whole "you have to give yourself permaroot in order to execute stuff" garbage?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shaggar posted:

no because it was never a thing

i haven't looked at the man Get-Help Verb-Noun in ages, but there's no way to temporarily run things as admin in powershell because the execution policy by default is set to restricted right? you can't do whatever the equivalent of "sudo foo.ps1" in powershell because its locked down?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
omg the dprk has mastered invisible circuits, the cunning bastards

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
:eyepop:

but wrong korea

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that classic adage about how if you pay for a product you're still the product

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

flakeloaf posted:

if vizio tvs are farming pixels to see which chuck lorre schlock is going into your brain then there's definitely money in the knowledge of just how phat your beats are

this lovely cyberpunk dystopia is like playing russian roulette but you can choose between these 3 semi automatic pistols

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there was a big atm heist in japan last year i think...

it was 2 years ago: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/japan-atm-heist-reportedly-involved-100-people-who-stole-12-7-million/

quote:

Japan ATM heist reportedly involved 100 people who stole $12.7 million
1,400 locations were hit using fraudulent South African credit cards.
MEGAN GEUSS - 5/23/2016, 2:53 PM

On Sunday evening, Japanese newspapers reported that an ATM heist involving around 1,400 machines in convenience stores resulted in the loss of 1.4 billion yen ($12.7 million).

The theft took place on May 15, a Sunday, between the hours of 5am and 8am. ATMs were targeted across Tokyo and 16 other prefectures in the country. Police said they believe up to 100 people were involved in the heist, according to the Kyodo News Agency. The thieves apparently went to ATMs like those found in 7-11s across Japan and swiped counterfeit South African credit cards, created using information from cards issued by South Africa's Standard Bank.
At each of the approximately 1,400 ATMs that were struck, the culprit withdrew 100,000 yen (about $900), which is the maximum withdrawal permitted on the machines.

According to Reuters Africa, Standard Bank is estimating its total losses at 300 million rand ($19 million) “prior to any potential recoveries that may serve to reduce the loss.” The bank said none of its customers will suffer the losses from the international fraud scheme.

By using foreign cards to withdraw cash and by making the withdrawals early Sunday morning (5am on Sunday in Tokyo is 10pm Saturday night in Johannesburg, South Africa), the criminals avoided immediate detection. The Guardian reports that "members of the gang may no longer be in Japan.”

The heist comes as credit card networks like Visa and MasterCard are trying to move world markets toward uniform acceptance of chip-based cards, which are considered less vulnerable to fraud than magnetic stripe cards. While card networks started moving Japanese markets toward chip-and-pin in 2006 and domestic South African markets to chip-and-pin in 2005 (PDF), ATMs in Japan have been an outlier. Visa and Mastercard, the companies supporting the shift to the new card standard, have given ATM owners in Japan until October 1, 2017 to support chip-and-pin cards or risk liability for fraud.

The BBC reports that no one has yet been arrested in the matter, but Japan News says that “police intend to identify the suspects by analyzing the images recorded by security cameras.”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

this area is rife with nerd poo poo like this, a lot of s/dev/nul type stuff

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i had a windows shell experience once

now im hooked on verb-nouns

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
a lot of power generation and distribution systems are very elaborate and dangerous rube goldberg machines

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i hadn't thought about that particular vector of attack wrt hotdesking lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i unsuccessfully tried to explain why voting on a blockchain is Real Dumb And Bad a few months back to someone, like technicalities aside, they fundamentally didn't understand the importance and mechanism of secret ballots

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in NC people are lining up at the dmv at 4:30am to get their driver's license now with realid

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
mandatory binding arbitration! woo!~~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

are there any details on the apple hack?

... i'll tell you what i know if you tell me what you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i heard it was kim dotcom

• Locked thread