Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Guys, Infinity War was seriously awesome and THAT loving ENTRANCE (you know the one) made me mark the gently caress out. It saddens me though, because Thor was so, so great and we're getting this just as he's about to go away.

Response to spoiler: What makes you think he's going away? As far as I've heard, after his experience working with Taika Waititi in Ragnarok, he's changed his mind on leaving. Maybe taking a year or two off, but not leaving altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Joey McChrist posted:

get bloodborne

And any of the God of War series you've missed.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Assassin's Creed: Origins is so good you guys

The best AC since Black Flag, no doubt. That may be because it's also a lot less "Assassin's Creed"-y than most Assassin's Creed games, just like Black Flag.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

Origins. AssCreed 3 was dogshit but 4 (Black Flag) was great, then Unity somehow made one of the most fascinating periods of history utterly boring, then Syndicate was a lot of fun. I only just started Origins but it's already incredible and absolutely lives up to the comparisons people made to Witcher 3.

Meanwhile, Farcry 5 apparently keeps all the awesome fun gunplay of 3 and 4, but while the story isn't as comically stupid or pretentious as those two, evidently it continually hijacks the player and forces them to play through the plot at set periods before you can go back to the actual fun parts of the game, locking you into cages/vans so you have to sit through their awful writing and further their dumb plot before getting to run back out into the woods and have fun again. It's the Sunday School/Church of a weekend playing with your friends.

I second our illustrious mod on both games. ACO is great and damned pretty if you have the hardware to run it on, and FC5 is good, but they force you into core story missions even if you just want to screw around, so it's not remotely worth full price.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

STONE COLD 64 posted:

should i save shadow or let him die

FF 6? You wait for him. You just wait.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

The Revenant is an amazing film. Even putting aside the acting and the characters, it's just goddamn beautiful and the fact it's almost entirely shot in natural light blows my little mind.

I think that was likely due to the cameras they used. 6k Arri Alexa 65's. The cinematographer said it was the first camera that truly let him set film aside and completely embrace digital.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

I was surprised at the level of criticism it got. While it certainly didn't break the mold or anything, it was a fun open world "blow everything up" game.

It has a LOT of technical issues. Even on PC, it doesn't run very well without at least 16 GB of RAM.

Now, if you do have 16 GB or more, it's a ton of fun, but it's not without the occasional crash even then, and even after all the patches and updates.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Karmine posted:

There's a stray cat in my neighborhood who's been sorta farting around my yard/sidewalk the past few weeks. It got into my front porch one time and just really wanted to come into the house. I wish I could let it but I also don't want some random rear end cat with who knows what kind of personality and/or diseases around my kid. I hope that cat finds home and happiness, but man we've got nothing for you kitty sorry.

3 step solution to that problem:

1) Trap cat (your local humane society should be able to loan you a trap).
2) Take cat to vet, see what issues cat might have.
3) Take cat home, enjoy being owned by a cat.

And if there are issues, well, the vet can at least neuter them or check them for a chip. It might be an escaped pet and you could help return them to their owner.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

VJeff posted:

We switched to Comcast at work today. My boss was telling me how it'd be TWELVE TIMES FASTER than what we had before. I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Took about 90 minutes for it to crap out and now we have no internet in the office.

Comcast business class cable or actual fiber? The cable is crap, maybe even worse than their home cable. Every place I've worked that's had it has hated it.

Never have heard a bad word about their Ethernet/fiber, though. I upgraded an old employer to it, and we're running it here at my current job, and it works great.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CobiWann posted:

Welp, my stepdaughter finally got bored and fell asleep during a Friday the 13th movie - Jason Takes Manhattan. Which was somehow even WORSE than Part V - at least Part V had some blood and a LOT more nudity than I remembered. She still wants to finish Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes To Hell this weekend, but asked that we take then a break to watch Predator 2 and AvP.

She's so freakin' stressed about going back to school (eight grade) but she appreciates how horror movies can be tension breakers. Hell, she saw a YouTube video for Maximum Overdrive and said "That movie looks SO stupid...when can we watch it?"

Maximum Overdrive is transcendentally trashy, written and directed by Stephen King during the worst period of his coke addiction. It's amazing, and just as stupid as she's thinking.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Endless Mike posted:

It doesn't come with Dual Shocks, which means no Ape Escape, which means NO BUYS.

Yeah, the "No DualShocks" thing really kinda threw me. We moved away from the original PS1 pads because they kinda sucked, especially after comparing them to the DualShock. There's retro nostalgia and retro obsession. Let the bad parts of the past go.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Endless Mike posted:

I got FORZA Horizon 4 from Gamepass and it's surprisingly fun. I generally don't enjoy realistic driving games, but with enough driver's aides, I'm enjoying it.

Forza Horizon 4 is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. FH3 was great but buggy on PC, but 4 runs like a dream on my system. Tons of fun but I wish there was a better way to earn money. The Veneno and Sesto Elemento ain't gonna pay for themselves.

(But seriously, gently caress the horns and cosmetic items in the wheelspins.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CarlCX posted:

You say that, but my horn can be the Windows XP shutdown sound and that's the best.

That one is AMAZING. And no, I'm not just pissed off because I've had that one as the potential Legendary in like 8 Wheelspins and all I get out of them is like 1000 credits or another skirt...

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Endless Mike posted:

Is saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night and it's incredible. Like, everything about it. Go see it.

We saw it on Thursday too. I second this post. Anyone nerdy enough to still post on SA owes it to themselves to go see it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Baron Corbin posted:

i don't play Civilization or Diablo but i heard rumors on the street that Civ 6 is bad. you should buy Katamari Damacy Reroll

Civ is meant to be played with a mouse. Katamari is meant to be played with dual analog sticks. Which of these control schemes does the Switch have innately and which one does it have to kind of half-rear end emulate?

Go for Katamari.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chris James 2 posted:

Where's My Squirrel Girl Film

There was supposed to be a New Warriors series for 2018 on Freeform starring Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl, but it got shelved/is being shopped around elsewhere.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

That DICK! posted:

Let this be a lesson to all of you folks. gently caress your aunts okay?

It's more a lesson of "If you start loving your aunt, don't stop unless she tells you to because she might go nuts and burn down an entire city."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sad brains unite. Also occasionally MEGAHAPPYSUPERFUNTIMEAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH brains.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I am like this except I'm not bipolar. :iiam:

Speaking of, I'm in a relationship and want to gush about My Person but I don't want to share with most people yet since she lives three hours away and won't be able to get to meet her IRL for the first time until next month probably and I feel silly gushing about someone I haven't met yet. :smith:

My wife of 14 years and I were a 15-hour long distance thing for about a month or two until we met, and then a year before we got married. It's not that crazy. Just be rational about the fragility of things this early on.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm gonna get a good grade on my IT course :)

Then soon you too can sit around reading Reddit while waiting for something to break while simultaneously stressing yourself into an ulcer with chronic imposter syndrome! Let's hear it for IT careers!

Ugh. So wish I could afford to do something else :-\

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Drew McIntyre posted:

i think when the history books are written, the downfall of the United States of America will ultimately be blamed on the invention and rise in popularity of "rock and roll" music

Fox. News. The bleeding started in 1994, but it hit terminal in 2016.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Brut posted:

Yup, this.

The thought for a long time was something like; all this racism is coming from all these old people they can't live much longer and then when all the young enlightened people take over it's gonna be nice.

Can't quite bring myself to believe that anymore though.

I think it'll be less terrible with each passing generation. Still racist, but less and less appallingly so.

Social progress is built atop a mountain of skulls of old, dead white conservatives. "Over my cold, dead body!" is not some line, it's the actual way things work.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm trying to book flights to Europe for my brother in law's wedding next year. Edmonton to Vienna is about $1000 one way. Edmonton to London is $400 and London to Vienna is $45. Aside from speed, everything about air travel is the worst.

$45 London to Vienna is Ryanair, isn't it? Friends don't let friends fly Ryanair.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s probably recency bias, but Mandy is peak Cage to me. And not in the internet meme sense, in the sense of “everything with Cage’s unique acting style led him to this point.”

Once it gets going, yeah, I'd agree with you, but that first, what, hour or so? It's hard to get through.

And then he buries his face in a pile of coke.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The former isn't that helpful because the temperature is already up so we'd basically be boiling ourselves. The second, lol at only.

But a sad lol.

Look at it this way: once civilization collapses and we slowly die out, there will be new species evolving that come to take over for the ones that we've lost. Life has survived snowballs and asteroid impacts and massive volcanic activity. It'll survive one batch of dumb apes, too.

The apes won't, so I'd hate to be one of those dumb apes. :v:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

Always include travel time. If you have to leave your beautiful cozy bed and your lovely inviting home to go somewhere they have to pay you to be, you can be drat sure every second after you go out the door is work-time :colbert:

Heck, I'd even keep track of any extra in-house work you have to do, too. Gotta wear a suit? Putting that sucker on is time you only lose for the job. If you can't just show up in whatever you're wearing anyway then putting on appropriate attire is just another part of your job duties.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ChrisBTY posted:

Sadbrains time.

I'm turning 40 on Tuesday and all I can think are sad thoughts too numerous to put here.

I hit 40 in March. I'm right there with you.

My wife and I can't have kids because of her litany of medical issues... and they're so bad, we can't realistically hope to adopt, either. All I can see myself really having to look forward to in however long I have left is her dying a little bit more each day, and another little piece of my sanity and/or neurological stability going away as well. I could divorce her, hope that someone else might put up with my insanity, but then I'd be leaving my best friend and someone I love more than I really thought I was even capable of, someone who gets me in ways I never thought I could be understood, let alone would be.

A kinda hollow, kinda empty life with someone who loves me, or betraying my best friend for the faint hope of a chance for something I'd call "real", that might last beyond me.

Yup, sadbrains.

In other news, I found myself deep in a wiki-hole trying to figure out the appropriate paleontological classification for the newly (re-?) discovered extant species being informally referred to as a "Luchasaurus". I think he's some sort of featherless Dromaeosaurid. Too fast and agile to be a Carnosaurid, but also too tall to be a Troodontid. Then again the known specimen has displayed surprising aerial ability, so maybe he's a very large Archaeopterygid?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CobiWann posted:

Saw IT Chapter 2 last night with the misses. "A" for her, "B+" for me. If the first chapter was a horror movie, this one was more of a dramedy with horror/thriller elements tossed in all overlaid with a nostalgic "nothing last forever" theme. More jokes, more silliness, more melodrama, however it DOES do a drat good job adapting the "grown-up" part of the novel into something coherent, including the final showdown with Pennywise. It sure as hell didn't need to be 2 hours and 50 minutes though...

Oh, and Bill Hader steals the entire movie as the grown-up Richie Tozier.

We saw it Thursday night at our Alamo Drafthouse. There were a troop of clowns in the lobby all night, and we each got handed a red balloon as we left the theater.

As for the movie itself, I'd agree with all of your critiques exactly, except my wife and I are both a bit harder on it than you and yours. B+ from her, B or B- from me.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

As does the movie.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

No Irish Need Imply posted:

oh my god the Bengals look decent

They'll let you down soon enough.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Three cats, Muffin (named by my father-in-law, she bounced around between homes a bit her first two years before spending the last 12 with us), Griffin (black stray we picked up in a parking lot, we both tripped over him in the night so he's named after HG Wells's original Invisible Man), and Dinah (wife is a Disney fanatic/former Parks cast member, kitten looked like Alice's cat from Alice in Wonderland, so it fits.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cavauro posted:

hope fully zoos will go the way of the circus and animals that need to live in captivity to survive because of us can at least do so in a more open space that doesn't feel as prison-like and doesn't have people bothering them 12 hours a day but i know that's not realistic. and

Holograms covering the windows so the animals can't see the humans other than their jailers keepers?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the secret to sadbrains imho is that once you realize its entirely a chemical construct and not reality you are able to recognize what is happening as a biological state instead of a cognitive one

Yup. You just have to be smarter than the buggy hardware. Outthink the sack of malfunctioning meat inside your skull.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Remember, birds are really just cousins to the velociraptor. If you own a bird, then you have a dinosaur sitting in your house.

And that is frickin' awesome.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Alright I've held my tongue for long enough and am feeling salty enough to type out all this poo poo so LET'S loving GO shall we?

Before I start let me make it clear I'm not calling out any given individual poster or post. Frankly there's an entire cadre of posters here, in D&D, on Twitter, and who knows where the gently caress else who could probably benefit from reading this poo poo and hopefully internalizing it but yeah.

I know it's scary as gently caress to be brown and/or female and/or gay and/or trans in this country. Y'all have entire subsections of the world that loving hate you. I'm a disabled straight white dude. I don't really get subjected to out and out hate or the threat of violence, be it physical or emotional or sexual or whatever on a regular basis.

But you know what's really goddamn scary? Right now I live at home with my parents. I'm 32, getting pretty drat close to 33. Why do I live at home? It's not because I'm a deadbeat. It's because the infrastructure isn't loving there for me to not. If I don't have personal care at the proper times, I can't get into or out of bed, use the bathroom, etc.

"So hire outside staff!" I hear you saying. Guess what? I try to. And it works sometimes. But shifts get missed. Thank gently caress right now my parents can fill in because if not the BEST possible option is for me to have a random drat stranger come in and pray to God that they can lift me properly because I don't have a choice. And trust me. A lot of the time they say they can and it's questionable.

Why don't staff exist? Because people can literally get paid more flipping burgers, pretty much. The workforce that does exist is overworked and underpaid to put it mildly. That's why a lot of the abuse and poo poo you hear about happens in nursing homes and whatnot. Because the staff are miserable and gradually become embittered.

That then brings me to (in part) what I spend my time doing. I spend my time telling legislators, a ton of whom disagree with me or don't give a gently caress because they're either maliciously garbage humans or they're separated from it, to wake the gently caress up. The crash is coming. Demand is increasing and finding is staying stagnant while costs go up because it's a disability problem and drains on the system and balanced budgets and what the gently caress ever.

I don't have the luxury of hiding behind ideological purity or taking my ball and going home because of an election result or sitting at home and smugly pontificating on how poo poo everything is and how smart I am because I'm dependent on people for as long as I live and nothing is going to change that ever.

So I spend my energy advocating, futile though it may be, volunteering to try to empower people and bring joy to people in more involved circumstances than mine, and trying to bury the reality that either the infrastructure needs to change, I need to get a natural support system stable enough to pick up the slack, or I need to accept ending up in a wildly inappropriate setting like a group home and pray to God it's not too much like hell. Those are my only options.

This isn't even touching on the connected issue of institutionalized forced poverty and the like, by the way. So yeah, I don't have to fear deportation or a lynch mob. Nah. Instead I have to worry about getting warehoused away while everyone else goes about their goddamn business because hey, the economy is doing alright, and it's not their problem. I'm not saying it's worse, but I'm not sure how much better it is. I talk to these fuckers and play the game because I literally have to. I might just be getting thrown scraps while begging like a dog, but it's that or starving to death.

But by all means internet, remain smug and detached or impotently raging and ranting or digging yourself into a hidey hole or telling everyone to gently caress off because everyone and everything sucks and the world is scary. Be glad you can afford such a luxury.

Rant over

Foochs, for what it's worth, you're fighting for way more people than you know and I just wanted to thank you for it. My wife is all but bedridden from lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, mild CP from birth, and injuries from when she could still work, and any progress you make on behalf of disabled Americans is greatly appreciated.

I have a lot of the same fears you do about the future, and the government. My wife has me and her parents across town, but then she's kinda up the creek if/when something happens to all three of us.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem posted:

I've heard Odyssey is even better than Origins and it makes the right choice to let you pick one of two characters and stick with them (as opposed to say, Syndicate, when you frequently had to switch between) so I'm looking forward to that, but not for a little while. It's definitely the best of the AC games from a gameplay standpoint at least, and Bayek is the best protagonist they've had since Ezio.
Odyssey is great. My main problem with Odyssey is this: there are major themes that run through both the main game and the first major DLC (Legacy of the Hidden Blade), and you'd figure there'd be some sort of interaction between them, but nope. None at all. The other DLC though, ho-lee crap. Amazing.

Also there's only one main character. Kassandra. Anything else you've seen is fake.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2019

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jerusalem, just wait until you get to the second DLC for Odyssey. It makes the Origins one look kinda... Weak. The third chunk of it is probably the most beautiful world I have ever seen in a game. I mean, ever.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Uploading on mobile is hell, I don't know whether it's on the SA end or the imgur end but I will upload it from my laptop instead I guess.

Thanks my friend. I will edit this post momentarily with the picture in question

Mobile posting is hell on Android, even if you have an imgur link. Let's see, [ and ] are on layer 3 of the keyboard, but then / is on the 2nd layer, so that makes it super easy to enter the right tags.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Missing a 0.1% room or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

yea ok posted:

Would someone give me enough money to buy Outer Worlds, without me having to spend any of my own? PM for details

Get Xbox GamePass for your PC for $1 a month (temporarily). You can download Outer Worlds for free with the Pass subscription. You won't own it, but you can play it.