Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This show was fantastic. I never binge watch but I couldn't stop with this one. There's a lot going on with the characters, especially Johnny and the cycle of abuse he's part of.

Anybody who makes their nut doing thinkpieces would be very, very smart to start cranking out their takes on how this show brilliantly leverages the Karate Kid mythos (as it were) to break down how abuse warps and destroys people in small ways. I’m so very, very happy that Kreese turned out to be alive, because while you could tell a story about Johnny having to learn to move past his abuse without the benefit of “closure,” the idea of bringing in Martin Kove when he’s able-bodied and not doing anything else is way too good to leave on the table. That last scene with him had a bone-chilling “Daddy’s home” vibe to it—and I only remember bits and pieces of the movie.

I kinda hope Elizabeth Shue comes back at some point as well. As hosed as it is, Johnny’s got a lot wrapped up with her and I’d love to see what happens if she gets directly involved.

Comedy option: Hilary Swank cameos as Julie Pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Propaganda Machine posted:

(and I do think his daughter is still firmly an rear end in a top hat by the end)

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to elaborate on this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Regarding the daughter, we don't see her change over the course of the season, she just reacts to everything happening around her. She only ever hung out with Miguel and her old friend out of necessity. It's nice that she seems to want to go back to karate, but her motivation for those ten seconds of a scene are unknown at this point.

gohmak posted:

she had zero reflection about how she treated miguel by hiding their relationship from her family.

You mean not telling her Dad “By the way, the boy I’m dating happens to be a part of the dojo you have a borderline pathological hatred for?” Yeah, the thing is, Sam did reflect on it. On her way to the party she says out loud “I think he knows I haven’t told my dad about us” in a way that implies she knows she hosed up and that there needs to be a conversation.

Except before she can have that conversation, Miguel has gotten aggressively trashed, and in trying to pick a fight with her ride (who he thinks she’s dating) (because he loving went to her house uninvited to announce himself as her boyfriend without clearing it with her), saw them together, and instantly assumed the worst), he knocks her to the ground. And because she already knows ONE guy who put up a sweet facade and turned out to be an incredible rear end in a top hat...why exactly would she be in a forgiving mood?

Samantha made a bad decision. In a healthy relationship, Miguel would call her on it directly and she’d have a chance to apologize. She never got that chance. Instead, Miguel got mopey around Sam, blamed her for more than her fair share of their problems, and decided the solution was to be the toughest guy in any room just like loving Kyler...but Sam’s the one that needs to reflect on her mistakes. Okay.

You guys realize that part of that whole arc’s point was to indirectly show that Johnny really was a villain in the original movie, right? Remember, even with the unprovoked attacks and Daniel stealing his girl and the illegal kick to the face, there’s still the fact that Johnny got Daniel kicked off the soccer team, or that Johnny treated Ali like an uncooperative dick receptacle when they were on the outs. Johnny ultimately lost Ali because he was an insecure kid seduced into a poisonous worldview by an abusive sensei. It warped him, and even now that he’s somewhat humbled and trying to redeem himself, he’s passing that damage down onto his students, and his star pupil is repeating his mistakes to the letter. Johnny can’t stop that without confronting the problems with his dojo’s core values, promoted and instilled on him by that same abusive sensei.

And here’s the thing: there are positive aspects to the Cobra Kai way! That’s why it’s so seductive! But as Miyagi stressed, it’s about balance. Too much Cobra Kai turns you into an aggressive punk. Too much of the Miyagi-do way of life leaves you wary of and unprepared for the inevitable confrontations life has in store for you. The show does a drat good job of arguing that Johnny and Daniel ultimately counterbalance each other; Daniel even unwittingly lays it out when he tells Johnny “We’re never going to be ‘done.’”

If Sam has issues taking responsibility for herself, it’s a reflection of her father’s passive-aggressive approach to perceived threats, and just like her father, she returns to karate to try and balance herself out. Those “ten seconds” echo Daniel’s own return to karate practice; the way it’s shot is not an accident. That’s a pretty natural arc for a girl who started the show abandoning her core values to fit in with the local mean girl clique.

Samantha LaRusso is a good, well-written character, you guys are just mean.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Kazoo Reverb posted:

Miyagi's number 1 lesson is balance, and Daniel has lost that. The show even addresses it at one point, but by the end he is starting his own dojo not to just spread the philosophy, but to compete with his childhood enemy.

True, but the show implies that his competitive relationship with Johnny catalyzes the balance in his life, just as he does for Johnny. Daniel trying to uphold the ban on Cobra Kai in the All Valley tournament, that’s a punk move. It tries to shut out that which will always exist so he can go on pretending everything is fine. Daniel confronting the resurgence of Cobra Kai with Miyagi-do is more proactive; yeah, absolutely born out of at least a measure of pettiness, but if he does it right, he’ll spread the philosophy anyway. Plus, by putting himself out there on the front line of this “fight,” he might even be forced to learn something about the positives of the Cobra Kai philosophy, even as he helps combat the negatives of it.

Yeah, those are all “ifs” and “mights,” but we’ve seen that Daniel’s capable of an open mind; beyond that chat at the bar, there’s even that moment where he saw Johnny admonish Hawk, and he had that “Is there something I’m missing” look on his face.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 7, 2018

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jose Oquendo posted:

lol Youtube is making Youtube Red music only, and charging $2 more to get Youtube Premium, which gives you ad-free videos and to watch their original content.

That story might—MIGHT—be a little faulty. I googled it and found this piece by Recode which claims the price is going up from $9.99 to $11.99. This Engadget piece says the same thing: $10 to $12. Now the thing is, I had already burned my free month of YT Red so I spent money to see this show, and as it turns out? It cost me $12.99, so, uh, what the gently caress, YouTube?

Either way, it appears the story here is that they’re rebranding YouTube Red as YouTube Premium, and are offering a cheaper option for those who just want to stream / download ad-free music.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mandrel posted:

yeah I browsed the other Original content to try and give the service a chance before cancelling my trial until next season and holy poo poo it is all just loving garbage. like good lord.

Well, they know they got you for season 2, so they've got a year to develop their slate so that when you do come back, they'll have more of an incentive for you to keep it around. Ostensibly, this is a long game.

Of course, they could sit around with their thumbs up their asses for the next year, but we won't know until we know.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Even if she doesn’t have much going for her these days, it’d be really hard to get Hilary Swank into this show by virtue of the fact that she’s Hilary Swank and will upstage EVERYONE on this show just by standing still. It would either have to be a fun cameo, or Julie Pierce would have to turn into the kind of Joker-esque villain that makes Terry Silver look like Putnam from The Wizard, creating a credible threat that would force Johnny and Daniel to work together.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

She's just over forty and women over forty don't get cast

She was recently in Logan Lucky—and she was great in it, she just doesn’t come in until the third act. She’s also a featured player in the inaugural season of Trust, which was Danny Boyle’s take on the John Paul Getty kidnapping. Swank played Gail Getty.

So she can still land a prestige project or two, and on top of that, I feel like a lot of people saw The Next Karate Kid as an embarrassment. Cobra Kai might be getting strong marks, but while that might intrigue, say, Elizabeth Shue into coming in for a couple of episodes so that Johnny can finally close the book on Ali and move on, I’m not sure Swank’s going to give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
EDIT: Post above said it better and more succinctly. Though I would add that Miguel didn’t have any right to be at that spot in the first place and was driven there by Johnny’s bull-headed Cobra Kai philosophy.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2018

• Locked thread