Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I want to make sure I'm understanding Wizards right- they get spells from their grimoires and also from their leveling. Also as far as I can tell I can't edit what's in a grimoire like in PoE1? Am I correct in assuming if/when there's overlap the Wizard gets a power level bonus to that spell? Or is it a wasted slot?

Also, are there any guides on good grimoires to search out/spell purchases to get for certain builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are sabers, rapiers, and single damage-type weapons just a no-go? I feel like I haven't had this problem with Saber-Eder, but I threw a rapier on a rogue and instantly felt like everyone had pierce immunity or incredibly high pierce DR.

edit- also, does Ydwin not have a second wind ability?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 5, 2021

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Pierce immunity is just highly noticeable because skeletons get it. It was a bad design decision imo

Yep- it was a bunch of skeleton and adra-golems in a row that really did it for me. I could have swore I saw a mod somewhere that somehow tried to adjust that a bit.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Almost a year after buying Deadfire, I finally used a bout of holiday time and depression to get through it. Really great game in so many ways. Maybe my only complaint is it's got so much in it, it just overflows. Mechanics, story, options...just gets overwhelming at times.

Carver posted:

I definitely want to see Avowed be a huge success because it's a world and lore I really want to see more of.

One thing I came away with in finally finishing Deadfire was that (a) I realized Eora is a cool world in a way PoE 1 didn't really show off and (b) they probably could have done more to market this as a competitor/heir/etc to the people who've wanted Elder Scrolls games to actually do something interesting with the Elder Scrolls world.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ilitarist posted:

It's weird cause for a lot of people the game is too short, you know? If you play well or on a lower difficulty setting you can comfortably finish the game in a day. Not like speedrun, but just comfortably do all the main story stuff skipping the side content. It's meant to be replayable, I know, but it still feels like you get a great system you can use to play so many adventures, but there's only one adventure. I know it'd probably not be financially viable to produce standalone expansions with minimal changes like PoE2: Brotherhood, PoE2: Revelations, PoE2: Origins, PoE2: Awakening and so on. But I want these so much, having just one adventure with these complex system feels like such a waste.

Yeah it's a weird mix, of too much and not enough maybe.

Overwhelming:
  • a very good but complex stat/combat system that takes a lot of getting used to if you don't play a lot of RPGs like this (I haven't picked up a cRPG like this in over a year maybe?). Like, even understanding that classes and their powers are largely weapon/armor/equipment agnostic (and vice-versa) is a thing that trips me up. In fact, I sort of suspect even having a lot of cRPG experience still makes this game tough to get some peoples' heads around because it seems like it should be a d20 knockoff...and instead you get a very different system in some very key ways.
  • very deep characters with complex backstories. I'm still not sure I could explain Eder's opinions on Eothas and the Dawnstars, because it's incredibly nuanced. Similarly it probably took me the 2nd attempt to play through to get what Xoti's Gaun-stuff was about. Most of the rest of the companions I think are more approachable, though
  • A very complex world outside of the immediate Deadfire map with lots of geography, politics, and cosmology that takes a lot of getting used to- which is where I realized Eora is Elder Scrolls level ambitious. This stretches back to PoE 1 where it wasn't until well in to the game that I got a sense that Readceras and Aedyr weren't going to show up to try and take over Dyrwood
  • Places like Neketaka do give an impression of overwhelmingness- so much just stacks on your plate the first time you visit if you're not trying to speed-run. I'm still mad about the Family-Fight VTC quest having a timer on it where nothing else does, because I feel like I will always miss the chance to resolve it the way I want to.

Missing
  • the map and non-Neketaka hubs are pretty light. I was sort of expecting a few more Port Maje/Dunnage type locations, but Sayuka feels like 2 buildings, and that little Huana village near Poko Kuara also feels dinky. Also chunks of the map just feel a little sparse
  • I really liked what they started with the Ship and Crew management components, but it never seems to lead anywhere. I'm almost always better off doing boarding action fights (I think?), and its rare I get to see my crew outside of the flavor events or the very start of the game
  • Would like something beyond The Crucible to do random fights/play team barbie with once I get to "ready to end the game"
  • With all the different class options and ability to add your own companions, the unique gear in game feels thin. I saw the mod above that changes some weapons from the more common weapon types (sabers, great swords) in to less frequent ones- I'll have to remember that for my next play

Anyways that's one man's 2 cents

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 5, 2023

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

How are rogues at range (IIRC their backstab requires you to be very close) and do they have some sort of interrupt/concentration breaking attack?

I want to multiclass a chanter with something that can do a little bit of ranged stuff when they aren't casting. I'd go ranger, but I don't really need another pet running around blocking pathways and staircases and such...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vermain posted:

They're still excellent at range, since Sneak Attack merely requires that a target be suffering from either Flanked or one of a small number of afflictions, which are usually pretty easy to apply. Cipher is especially good at this, since one of their tier 2 powers, Phantom Foes, applies Flanked in a large area for a modest duration. Strike the Bell and its upgrades interrupt on Graze or above, although you can always dip one point into Arcana and use Thrust of Tattered Veils scrolls instead if you want something 100% reliable.

Thanks!

Although I went and looked, and I realize my question was more about Backstab, which at least is an optional trait, but it feels pretty important with that +100% damage

Also I never realized what phantom foes did...would help if I read more of the powers in detail :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tagaziel posted:

Does nobody have lore questions?

It makes this cat... Sad.

The slaver quests left me a little confused because I don’t think the writing was clear. I think the idea was that slave trading was legal in Deadfire so long as you weren’t capturing/selling Huana? Is that correct?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Love how the shrouded island in the far SE of the map handles that too.

Also love how they handle Dunnage

Exports: Pirates

Playing Deadfire really got me on the “this is Obsidian’s competitor to Elder Scrolls” mindset

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If they weren't gonna keep on making games then Forgotten Sanctum was a great place to leave off with the lore, by making it muddled and untrustworthy. The bit right at the end where it turns out Fyonlecg invented Wall Of Flames and Wall Of Many Colors, as well as another spell which doesn't even appear in the game is my fav bit of lore in the whole game, not sure why it just strikes a chord

I also liked Forgotten Sanctum a lot because I think if the canonical choice is the Watcher followed Tarn’s request to let the captured escape then that’s a great jumping off point for new stories and characters without having to play the Watcher of Cad Nua again.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Felt really smart taking Vatnir as a straight priest on my first Beast of Winter run :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Do Paladin players or companions have that mechanic of having to follow the virtues of the paladin order, in Deadfire? Am I remembering that correctly from POE1?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I generally don’t play cruel PCs, but I really like the bleak walkers’ bonus, if I’m creating a non-Pallegina paladin to run with

E- also I don’t really like aggressive PCs but like the idea of magranite priest companions as well

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 9, 2023

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Perhap's Aloth's quest/story is a reflection of the Watcher's own imperfect ability to change Deadfire to something more just/utopian :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any guides on how to use Nexus mods when a Steam copy of the game? I was reading a few Nexus mod descriptions and some seemed to replace a DLL file directly, others seemed to rely on an 'override' folder that I didn't see in Steam...

Just trying to figure out how to use some of the cooler mods (since 95% of Steam mods are just someone's companion with a busty anime babe avatar)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I still don't think I understand the purpose/niche of blunderbusses. I sort of get the hand mortars that Serafen gets, and could even see them being used as an alternate weapon for non-ciphers...but the standard blunderbusses? Just don't get it. Doesn't cipher power build now based on damage done, instead of flat # of hits?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Could someone make a mod that changes the blunderbuss to be a cone AOE attack? I assume it'd be possible since at least Blade of the Endless has that feature...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just found out from Wiki searching that there's more than the initial meeting w/ Rekke? Whoops!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

2house2fly posted:

if you didn't take sidekicks into the DLC areas you missed out on some good content there also

I took Yidwin a lot of places because I generally liked her character and the rogue/cipher build, and took Fassina to the Sanctum and Konstantin to Slayer Island.

Mirke and Rekke were the two I mostly left on the boat.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Vatnir gets the bench most often for me. Not that I think he's a bad character -- I actually think his Rymrgand priest kit is pretty decent and rounds out the damage type on the otherwise fire-heavy offensive spells in the priest arsenal. It's just that the area that he's introduced in and where he has the most reactivity also has enemy types most resistant to his uniques. Also, he tends to be the last member I recruit so I've often already filled out his role with other characters. His racial godlike bonus is sort of interesting but if I wanted to play around with low health conditionals on a priest/rogue, I'd go with death godlike and even then I've done the uber glass cannon kept alive with priest spells build before and I can't say it was really worth the fuss in the end.

Yeah- I was playing on a really low difficulty, so carrying him through Beast of Winter for the RolePlay aspect of it was doable...but I took him as a priest and it was so painful that almost 90% of the fights I was just trying to find something for him to do that didn't involve him attacking ice defenses the enemy had immunity with.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is the community patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335) something people use? Or have most of these been incorporated in to the current version of the game?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I finally cracked the code for doing a playthrough where I don't feel guilty about not bringing Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina everywhere. I simply killed them off in the POE1 prologue! Brilliant!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Aloth as a Spellblade with Kalakoth's Minor Blights is pretty fun. Applying Gouging Strike and Toxic Strike to big groups of enemies is great. And then there's a few fun unique Grimoire spells to use like Nanassin's Cobra Strike which is also fun as a gish.

If I'm feeling lazy with Aloth though I just go pure Wizard and have him use Caedbald's Black Bow plus an essential phantom with the same. Auto attack terrifying enemies is quite op.

I'm including a spellblade in my next playthrough, but I tend to be bad at understanding some of the synergies you can get with wizards.

I read about a gouging strike/citzal's lance tank-y build...are there other things people suggest?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is mining luminous adra somehow unethical? My gut reaction is it must be because instinctively resource extraction tends to be…but with luminous adra aren’t we talking about a previously manipulated substance that seems otherwise disconnected from local ecology, but exists to power up god batteries.

Like when you have the choice to destroy the adra pillar at tikawara, I’m not really sure what the impacts are? It impacts the economy of that small village, and the financial prospects of the VTC…but otherwise? Not sure.

I guess maybe I don’t get where the natural properties of adra (and how that impacts the metaphysics of Eora) end and where engithian technology begins

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

X_Toad posted:

The only reason the Vailians feel like a better alternative to the Rautaians is because their occupation has an expiration date (no more adra, no more Vailians) and they feel less entitled than the RDC, what with simply installing a few mansions in Queen's Berth rather than demanding a harbor for a military base.

Also they're played as somewhat bumbling in their plans and management, and also they're just stylish/cooler than Rautai.

X_Toad posted:

See the others' answers for the mining itself, but one should also think of the collateral damage that the mass exploitation of the Adra could have on the fauna and flora of the archipelago, not to mention its inhabitants.

Was that sunken machine outside Sayuka adra-powered? maybe it's that, that gave me a suspicion that adra is somewhat at odds with other parts of nature in Eora. I know that's also part of "Engithians built a machine to..." but it's that line between the two that I guess I struggle seeing clearly in the game.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Luminous Adra probably attracts souls and feeds them to the wheel, right? So it reduces the number of ghosts causing trouble, smooths out reincarnation, and powers the gods. I'm surprised the gods haven't made a bigger deal about the Republics mining it out.

This is another part that also trips me up a tad. Eothas is pretty unconcerned with sucking down luminous adra like Mt. Dew on his march...but I guess that's just the contradictory nature of Eothas in action. But also yeah the rest of the gods seem pretty unconcerned about chunks of their world battery getting knocked out by Eothas or Kith generally.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Put another way, the RDC is overt state colonialism in whose thinking the land is up for grabs and always already cleansed of native claim, and despite the VTC’s surface resemblance to the East India Company, it’s much more akin to a modern neocolonial body; the imperial core state of the Republics has been captured by the business interest and mostly exists to legitimize and enable it, rather than the company being a means by which the state takes hold of territory.

The VTC has only as much interest in military presence / settlement / local authority as the passing of the land’s resources into their hands requires (see: the shiphunting family’s operations being underfunded in Neketaka) so it looks like they are less oppressive than the jackbooted RDC. But one thing about this kind of neocolonialism to bear in mind is that they will act violently and even send occupying forces if and when the natives make any sort of decision for themselves that potentially cuts into company profit.

It’s funny, then, that Maia’s sidequest is the one all about political assassination, when that method is more typical of neocolonial strategy (see: the US in Central America). Presumably the VTC would get around to it eventually.

The VTC is the United Fruit Company of Eora

RDC is much more East India Company, except Rauatai doesn't really need/have a concept of colonial charter (at least here) to distance home government from the work

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Apropos of nothing, Goldpact Knights are such a fun little concept.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't mean he exists in the wrong setting, I mean he's designed for a different game. He feels very much like Avellone took the setting and went off and did his own thing, completely disregarding what the actual plot of the game was, and then the editors had to crowbar his characters into fitting the plot of the game. Durance has a whole lot to say about the Hollowborn and Watchers, but I cannot recall much, if any, dialogue regarding chasing down the Leaden Key and Thaos. He is very steeped in the lore of the game, but not really involved in the primary plot.

Maybe I'm uncharitably misremembering--I admit my view on Avellone's characters is unquestionably tainted by the fact that I think their author is a reactionary piece of poo poo.

I think this is a larger problem/oddity of the story and plot of POE1- where the Dyrwood and the NPCs are largely obsessed with the Saint's War, Hollowborn, and Animancy and it's impacts, both real and assumed. But all of that is somewhat tangential to Thaos and Enguithans and the Watcher's memories...which is effectively a secret history of Eora.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

In truth, the Readceran uprising, the Saint's War, the Godhammer Bomb, Waidwen's Legacy, and the purges are all inconsequential to the larger schemes of the gods. They are the fallout and how kith try to make sense, in often misguided or prejudiced terms, of grand events after the gods have duked it out amongst themselves, but really serve more as a backdrop to the central plot of Eothas turning against the rest of the gods. Waiden's Legacy was already underway with Thaos siphoning souls to empower Woedica and would have still happened regardless of the war. In the recorded history of kith, it was a religious motivated war between two regions, but the true purpose of the Saint's War was Eothas/St. Waidwen marching into the Dyrwood to stop the Engwithan machinery robbing the future and to uncover the secrets of the gods. The creation of the Godhammer Bomb threw a wrench in his plans but still furthered his aims in showing the fallibility of the gods to kith, especially if they can be killed, but in the end it's not that pivotally noteworthy; as Ginette Reno pointed out, the Godhammer Bomb did not entirely destroy Eothas -- if anything, St. Waidwen was the one left holding the bag while Eothas was able to recoalesce and come to the correct conclusion that it would take the open and direct action of destroying the Wheel itself to stop the gods. Magran may want Durance killed out of principal for having knowledge harmful to the gods, but the real knife to the throat for her and the rest of the gods was wielded by Eothas.

I think some people are put off by the fact that the player has little input in the overall turn of events in Deadfire and are disappointed that you are basically following in the wake of Eothas and can't do something typically videogamey like fight off Eothas in a boss battle at the end. But that's the entire point and illustrative of why the gods are so insidious in this setting. Kith have had no agency in their destiny ever since the creation of the gods and it's the gods who have been the real prime movers. Kith will naturally write their own history of events but the true and secret history of the world and why events unfolded the way they have has been written by the gods. The change had to come from within the gods' own ranks because only the gods had the true knowledge and power to put an end to it. And it had to be Eothas, as the child of light (even though it took him millennia to figure out), to finally bring a new dawn for kith to finally assume control of their own destinies.

This is a much more articulate (and correct) way to say what I was trying to get at. Thank you. :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a way to do the Drowned Barrows area without killing a bunch of people. Sort of feels weird killing a bunch of dwarves for the crime of being brainwashed by their own village, save the one that someone bothered to ask you to save…

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah I just decided I’m supposed to think all those dwarves are naturally stupid and deserve death, as this game sometimes asks me to consider

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe my bigger hurdle in getting behind that quest is that there’s like twice as many dwarves in the skull dungeon than in the tiny village outside of it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's really hard to find vithrack brains outside of the Wael expansion, it seems? Similarly true for trollskin.

Unrelated but if I had to put a thesis to why Deadfire didn't sell well, it'd probably that the game went with pollaxes over pollarms, and had only 2 unique pollaxes.

Also I wish there was a bit more synergy between melee-weapon-and-gun type loadouts, given the setting/style.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I popped in to a few of the shops over the campaign and didn't find any. I think some items like that aren't on the shop item tables.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any moments in the game where we see a group using slave labor?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Servetus posted:

Crookspur slavers use slaves as part of their crew.

Do the Roparu count? They cannot be bought or sold, but certainly meet other requirements of slavery.

Was more referring to the slaves out of Crookspur.

Just seemed like a bit of worldbuilding gap that all the factions are in some way involved or get involved in Crookspur as a quest, but it's never clear who's using the slave labor.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are Old Vailia or Adeyr slave states?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

My idea for an all-paladins-from-differing-paladin-orders custom party has somehow organically morphed into the Always Sunny gang. I'm just realizing that Rational is a disposition that's compatible with or at least not disfavored by all paladins, so it's going to roleplay like a bunch of sociopaths trying to set aside their petty grievances and squabbling over what is the most "logical" response to the situation. Reason will prevail!

The W.A.T.C.H.E.R method

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lore question- during one of those moments in talking with Tekehu, where Ondra decides to hop in and talk with you as well, she says she gave the Watershapers their powers…which I also guess the Huana believe as well. But Ondra didn’t exist before ukaizo, right? Something before the Enguithan gods would have given the Huana water magic? Ngati maybe, who is I think the pre -Enguithan ocean god of the Huana? Is it just that Ondra by nature of how she and the other gods were created she thinks she’s ngati?

I don’t even know if this question makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Staltran posted:

Do we know watershaping predates the gods?

I guess we don’t, since so much of that history is lost or altered, unless there’s a book in the Wael library? Otherwise I guess I was taking the nature of that last King of Ukaizo section of Rymrgard’s realm as evidence, but it’s not explicit