Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao Huge. Fight of the year

Thats new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They missed a lot of flying bird pun opportunities with Warhawk and Bronco.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bronco got loving owned. Didn't see that coming

What is the point of those sidearm things?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bronco got loving owned. Didn't see that coming

What is the point of those sidearm things?

The side arms are keep bots away from the wheels.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They're keep-away sticks so vertical spinners don't rip its wheels off. They worked for their intended purpose, as we saw with Warhawk, but whiplash had more than just the spinner.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Really surprising fights tonight. Whiplash was really good. I also enjoyed seeing Rotator doing well for a fight before it got rocked.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Murphys Law posted:

The side arms are keep bots away from the wheels.

Yeah, its had its wheels chewed up a bunch by drum spinners in previous year and they've helped against that

I feel like Bronco had been having mobility issues in recent fights, not turning as quickly

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Awesome episode. I'm picking Bite Force to win it all but who knows anymore.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, its had its wheels chewed up a bunch by drum spinners in previous year and they've helped against that

I feel like Bronco had been having mobility issues in recent fights, not turning as quickly

Its nearly 8 feet long so thats not helping. One of the fights you can hear a team member warning the driver to go easy on the throttle to not burn out the motors so I wonder if they were using the same parts Bombshell and Witch Doctor had problems with.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This was the season when all your heroes die

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whiplash did some excellent driving, only getting flipped once. In the interview the driver claimed they were lower than Bronco's flipper, but I don't know if that's true or if it even mattered because he was on Bronco's sides the whole time.

I dunno about his chances against Bite Force though. It's a lot more maneuverable. As good a driver as Whiplash has, that weapon doesn't seem to be much to write home about. The fights I can remember of his, it's been like a wedge bot with a saw attached that "scores points" but doesn't really do much damage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So are there only three fights next episode?

Also, I'm really sad this season is over, it was sooooo fun

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, the other combat robot tournaments usually do a 3rd/4th place bout, so maybe we will get one of those.

Also, I still miss the big gently caress all rumbles they used to do back in the comedy central days before Nightmare ruined it by having a part fly out the box.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They've done just for fun rumbles in previous finales haven't they? We'll probably get one or two bonus fights next week.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

They've done just for fun rumbles in previous finales haven't they? We'll probably get one or two bonus fights next week.

gently caress a rumble I want a tombstone-bronco fight

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress a rumble I want a tombstone-bronco fight

:same:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Any other bots in the ring would be as impotent as minibots.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sad trombone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KdIXlvanM

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Ray mentioned that Tombstone has another match before the end of the season, didn't say if it's a rumble or a 1v1.

Love that Icewave didn't take the easy way out and just kept driving so we got to see 3 full minutes of slow carnage and a decapitation at the end.

And guess who continues to be the GOAT? Bite Force at 14-1.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That was a great episode, but both my finalists are out now. :v:

HUGE Needs some sort of central axis to keep it intact cause this is the second time it snapped. Bronco just got outdrived and props to Whiplash for that. Did not see the Icewave result coming either.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zedd posted:

That was a great episode, but both my finalists are out now. :v:

HUGE Needs some sort of central axis to keep it intact cause this is the second time it snapped. Bronco just got outdrived and props to Whiplash for that. Did not see the Icewave result coming either.

Well, more likely, it broke again because they didn't have time to fix it right after Ice Wave.

Bronco's nemesis is a fast driving bot that can self right...

Also, now the final is 3 vertical spinners and a drum spinner...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Excellent strategy & driving by Whiplash. Also good show by Icewave for staying aggressive even though it was being mauled to pieces. That had to be expensive.
RIP my bracket picks but my wife picked every winner. :wtf:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, my bracket got broken... in half

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Tunicate posted:

Well, my bracket got broken... in half

In retrospect, choosing Huge as the winner of each fight in the tournament is a bit unfeasible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current standings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/

Out of a total of 32 possible points....
No one's broken double digits.

Tunicate: 8
Glumslinger: 6
Xelkelvos: 5
Wormil: 4
Zedd: 3

Tunicate and Zedd are also both locked out as they guessed None of the QF winners correctly. The rest of us are basically left with Minotaur to rack up points.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

In retrospect, choosing Huge as the winner of each fight in the tournament is a bit unfeasible.

I was hoping he'd finish in first AND second

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
huge comes in next season with tactical bot separation features

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

huge comes in next season with tactical bot separation features

Counter balance on the wheels so the wheels can balance themselves if it gets split in half and then they can have 2 unicycle multibots.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Next season Huge’s wheels are also vertical spinners

Tactical error, though; they’re made of the same material.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What Huge needs is to go from a vertical spinner to a horizontal spinner so when the shaft connecting the spinner to the body breaks, it doesn't cause a fatal collapse of the bot.

Basically the version from Robot Wars, but with a horizontal spinner instead of a mace/flail.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Haha. In the final episode something crazy happens and Chris Rose says "Holy tornado!" except his mouth really doesn't match that last word.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Despite all the vertical spinners this season was pretty awesome.

Bite Force is honestly terrifying. It has such a strong, high quality spinner and such tough armor that Tombstone might be the only thing that could break it. Bronco could win with a flip since it doesn't really have self righting (except with the spinner, which is risky to rely on) but I think Bite Force would just tear Bronco up most of the time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gromit posted:

Haha. In the final episode something crazy happens and Chris Rose says "Holy tornado!" except his mouth really doesn't match that last word.

I just watched that part, that was great. And they took a picture with it afterwards!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty crazy that a bot that can't self right is strong enough that nobody could take advantage of that... 8 fights 8 knockouts, pretty crazy poo poo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bite Force is currently 16 - 1. It's only loss is to chomp of all things.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Bite Force quietly dominated the competition. Amazingly durable machine. I felt a little bad for Minotaur and Whiplash, though I think the Whiplash team is probably really happy with how well they did. No upsets, just really good bots all around. Good clean fights.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Bite Force is currently 16 - 1. It's only loss is to chomp of all things.

It's the one time that Chomp's computer aiming thing actually worked as planned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The championship match is the last episode of the season right? I'm pretty happy with the new format all in all. It's a lot more fun to watch and a good mix of gimmick matches and tournament stuff.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The exhibition match should have been Tombstone vs. the cheeseburger robot that barely worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The exhibition match should have been Tombstone vs. the cheeseburger robot that barely worked.

I dunno what more you could want than Tombstone embedding a piece of his opponent deep in the arena.

• Locked thread