Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ThePagey posted:

I started playing the Juggernaut Edition a few days ago after playing the game for about 4 hours at launch and literally not at all in between, and I'm really enjoying it. A lot of the issues I had at launch that turned me off have been fixed and I'm finding the gameplay loop really satisfying--though I'm finding that normal is considerably too easy. If I am looking to get thoroughly hosed up will Dread be enough? Skipping to Nightmare seems like a bad call but I'm worried Dread might still be too easy.

ETA: Also! I'm finishing up my first Sheriff Legacy on the new map right now and am planning to jump right into another one on a different map afterwards: does anyone have any preferences they'd recommend? I figure I'll try them all eventually, but if someone has a favorite I'd love to hear it.

Meagher Farms is nice and flat/easy for off-roading and I love love love it. My least favorite map is Drucker County due to how frustrating it is to traverse - lots of rocks and car placements that made going ANYWHERE in it a total pain in the rear end. Which sucks because I think it has one of the best aesthetics!

Dread should keep you sated with regards to difficulty - it's a nice step up from normal. Plague juggernauts are a nightmare to deal with, and humans get noticeably awful the higher the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dread should keep you sated with regards to difficulty - it's a nice step up from normal. Plague juggernauts are a nightmare to deal with,

You are absolutely, absolutely not loving around by saying that. Within like 30 minutes of starting this new map--I didn't bring my old Sheriff for the boon 'cause I wanted to make sure I hit that difficulty sweet spot--I've seen 2 of these motherfuckers spawn outside of other enclaves as I've been on my way to do missions for them.

I have many less neighbors now, to be clear.

Edit: Aaaaannddd another group just popped one of my dude's in the head and killed him very quickly lmao this rules okay feels good. Don't take a police baton to a gun fight.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 25, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ThePagey posted:

You are absolutely, absolutely not loving around by saying that. Within like 30 minutes of starting this new map--I didn't bring my old Sheriff for the boon 'cause I wanted to make sure I hit that difficulty sweet spot--I've seen 2 of these motherfuckers spawn outside of other enclaves as I've been on my way to do missions for them.

I have many less neighbors now, to be clear.

Edit: Aaaaannddd another group just popped one of my dude's in the head and killed him very quickly lmao this rules okay feels good. Don't take a police baton to a gun fight.

:allears:

god I love this game. Tips: bring guns, learn what items work/don't work on given enemy groups, and do not gently caress with plague juggernauts.

Also: do NOT bring any survivors you care about to whenever you try nightmare. It is an entirely different ballgame. Normal and Dread you can play "normally" and actually use most items as intended / walk places / etc. They're hard, and I love them. Nightmare is a nightmare.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still working up to Dread but I think I'm going to take the plunge after this next game.

Had a pretty funny thing happen last trader game though, where I summoned a trader and he spawned in the middle of a horde that was ambling past with a juggernaut tagging along so I had to watch horrified from the walls as the juggernaut ripped him in half.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Moon Slayer posted:

Still working up to Dread but I think I'm going to take the plunge after this next game.

Had a pretty funny thing happen last trader game though, where I summoned a trader and he spawned in the middle of a horde that was ambling past with a juggernaut tagging along so I had to watch horrified from the walls as the juggernaut ripped him in half.

God that loving rules.

I got really lucky with this run and picked up a heavy machine press from a mysterious trader so once I move to a bigger location I'm going to put way too many resources into pumping out .50 cal bullets and just murder the poo poo out of these plague juggernauts.

I also recruited a dude who somehow rolled stats in a way that he had, easily, half the health of every other character I had at the start of the run. Dude constantly wouldn't stop whining and starting fights, and had the extra flavor of the trait that had him come from a very comfortable upper class life before the apocalypse.

I was gonna kick him out after using him to refurbish the new location, but he got clipped by a feral as I was heading into a building and just loving completely bodied instantly, it ruled.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ThePagey posted:

God that loving rules.

I had never used the Trade Depot before, I thought he would just spawn inside it. :saddowns:

ThePagey posted:

I got really lucky with this run and picked up a heavy machine press from a mysterious trader so once I move to a bigger location I'm going to put way too many resources into pumping out .50 cal bullets and just murder the poo poo out of these plague juggernauts.

I also recruited a dude who somehow rolled stats in a way that he had, easily, half the health of every other character I had at the start of the run. Dude constantly wouldn't stop whining and starting fights, and had the extra flavor of the trait that had him come from a very comfortable upper class life before the apocalypse.

I was gonna kick him out after using him to refurbish the new location, but he got clipped by a feral as I was heading into a building and just loving completely bodied instantly, it ruled.

I'm way too much of a weeny to actually exile people who need to go, but I'm definitely not above sending them alone on suicide missions.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

ThePagey posted:

I started playing the Juggernaut Edition a few days ago after playing the game for about 4 hours at launch and literally not at all in between, and I'm really enjoying it. A lot of the issues I had at launch that turned me off have been fixed and I'm finding the gameplay loop really satisfying--though I'm finding that normal is considerably too easy. If I am looking to get thoroughly hosed up will Dread be enough? Skipping to Nightmare seems like a bad call but I'm worried Dread might still be too easy.

ETA: Also! I'm finishing up my first Sheriff Legacy on the new map right now and am planning to jump right into another one on a different map afterwards: does anyone have any preferences they'd recommend? I figure I'll try them all eventually, but if someone has a favorite I'd love to hear it.

Normal has a lot of bad habits that you have to unlearn for dread/nightmare. Do Dread first - when dread starts to feel easy, then you can move up to nightmare - nightmare really is a different ballgame, freak hordes make a huge difference in how you have to approach situations and what resources/buildings you want to use. Dread gives you enough leeway to build the communities you want and not worry about needing anything for survival while still punishing you if you go out and make a mistake.

Also, if you haven't played heartland, the increased plague difficulty can really throw people for a loop as well. A plague horde can get you with blood plague if you aren't prepared.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

ThePagey posted:

God that loving rules.

I had an rear end in a top hat like that show up at my base in one game, looking for a new home because her previous enclave kicked her out. I soon discovered why. She had a combination of traits that made her only have 3 max Cardio, she started fights, she had a morale and/or labor penalty, and she didn't even have a good 5th skill (it wasn't Sexting but it was about as useful). After the third fight she started while I was out on scavving runs, I just exiled her.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm way too much of a weeny to actually exile people who need to go, but I'm definitely not above sending them alone on suicide missions.

Even bigger lmao, jesus christ.

TheAnomaly posted:

Normal has a lot of bad habits that you have to unlearn for dread/nightmare. Do Dread first - when dread starts to feel easy, then you can move up to nightmare - nightmare really is a different ballgame, freak hordes make a huge difference in how you have to approach situations and what resources/buildings you want to use. Dread gives you enough leeway to build the communities you want and not worry about needing anything for survival while still punishing you if you go out and make a mistake.

Also, if you haven't played heartland, the increased plague difficulty can really throw people for a loop as well. A plague horde can get you with blood plague if you aren't prepared.

I'm immediately noticing it--things have been a bit swing-y in terms of morale and I'm noticing that I'm actively actually having trouble finding resources now (meds are the worst, atm) and while I was effectively drowning in influence in the last playthrough I have to spend it on trade more and more to stop my poo poo from falling apart.

I'm also not sure if Juggies can spawn in sieges but HOO BOY I had a close one earlier when the big boy bust through the gate, followed by a screamer, who brought in basically the entire loving map and left me completely drained of supplies with basically all of my dudes on the verge of death.

No one died though, game is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Please exile people instead of killing them, it is the more moral option

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I poached someone from one of the "former soldiers" enclaves and turns out he's got the nudist trait.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Moon Slayer posted:

I had never used the Trade Depot before, I thought he would just spawn inside it. :saddowns:

Sometimes they do spawn inside, but in my experience they usually spawn in the next zip code and have to hoof it to your door. If you're not watching them, though, usually the AI doesn't get hurt, so I suspect you killed that man because you stood there to watch.

I've done the suicide option before, but recently I've just made silly mistakes. One recently died because I just got cocky and thought "I know this guy is super tired but i'm just going to go to one of my spare cars for a ruck" and got surprised by a horde and two juggernauts that happened to wander up at that exact time. I made it inside but didn't have enough energy to not get chained by juggernaut slams bad enough to fall over and then get ripped.

Another died because he caught blood plague and I literally dithered around thinking "He's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he does have a useful skill so maybe I should heal him...but on the other hand he is causing problems...but on the other I'd feel bad if I just...wait I can't select him anymore, what happened? Oh he's dead."

Moon Slayer posted:

I poached someone from one of the "former soldiers" enclaves and turns out he's got the nudist trait.

I recently got "Stoner" and the list of negatives is a mile long. And its "waste meds" effect seems to trigger all the time. I considered feeding her to zeds but she was the literally only trader I've found out of a total of 17 survivors this game, so she's our drug-dealing, drug-taking overlord for now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Sometimes they do spawn inside, but in my experience they usually spawn in the next zip code and have to hoof it to your door. If you're not watching them, though, usually the AI doesn't get hurt, so I suspect you killed that man because you stood there to watch.

Ah yes, Schrodinger's juggernaut. :hmmyes:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
So I just lost a dude as he was assaulting a plague heart 'cause upgrade juggernauts are, apparently, just loving invincible??? I've never had issues with them before, but do they get a buff if they're protecting a plague heart? He ate like 50 rounds from a sawed off shotgun and 6 napalm grenades, killed the two randos following along from the random survivor activity that took me there in the first place, and then proceeded to beat me down 'cause the artillery strike I called in destroyed my van (lol) and I couldn't get away fast enough.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
fire doesn't affect juggs basically at all so those napalm grenades were wasted effort. shotguns are also not a great option for attacking juggs, especially after the recent patch when headshots are the preferred way of attacking them.

sounds like you had the wrong tools for the job, but at least with the shotgun portion you can barely be blamed for that because that changed very recently.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is the sniper assistance still great for juggs?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Coolguye posted:

fire doesn't affect juggs basically at all so those napalm grenades were wasted effort. shotguns are also not a great option for attacking juggs, especially after the recent patch when headshots are the preferred way of attacking them.

sounds like you had the wrong tools for the job, but at least with the shotgun portion you can barely be blamed for that because that changed very recently.

Speaking of shotguns, is there really a build or set up that makes shotguns actually a good idea instead of just... fine, maybe, if suboptimal? If you have a good pump with a choke you can reasonably headshot a few zeds at a modest range, but it's almost always better to just...have a lightweight 22 you use to pop heads. I just don't think shotguns really have a niche to themselves, especially if they are now worse on Juggs.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 27, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
high capacity shotguns can really thin out a horde if you're in an emergency. sometimes appropriate for plague hearts.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Speaking of shotguns, is there really a build or set up that makes shotguns actually a good idea instead of just... fine, maybe, if suboptimal? If you have a good pump with a choke you can reasonably headshot a few zeds at a modest range, but it's almost always better to just...have a lightweight 22 you use to pop heads. I just don't think shotguns really have a niche to themselves, especially if they are now worse on Juggs.

they're horde weapons. useless on normal, but a very nice niche to themselves on dread and nightmare.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Coolguye posted:

they're horde weapons. useless on normal, but a very nice niche to themselves on dread and nightmare.

I have found them very useful after moving up to Dread now that blowing a leg off is, functionally, just as good and much easier to do in a panic when 50 dudes are rushing you as blowing off their heads. I had brought a shotgun to kill a plague heart when I had my blood juggernaut duel from a few posts ago because, if I lost control, the easiest way to get it back is to just incapacitate poo poo and go slow. I also hadn't ever had a juggernaut spawn on a plague heart before, so I will now also be bringing some variant of rifle.

It just occurred to me, and I'm sure I could check later but I'll just ask now, but do different close combat weapons actually have different stats? I can't recall them having a tooltip like every other weapon type does--I just swap them out for the starting stuff pretty much whenever I find a new one and toss whatever the coolest sounding one is on the people that wind up with close combat as a spec.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Is the sniper assistance still great for juggs?
Yes, and especially against blood juggernauts: if the only target near you is the juggernaut, sniper cover can take it down to where you can execute it in 5-6 shots, and every shot that hits will stagger it to boot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I usually prefer to just throw something like a molotov or similar fire weapon behind me while I run away or something like it if I've got a horde on my rear end. It seems much more effective on dread than trying to actually put down the horde with a shotgun, especially since the shotgun is so much louder and likely to bring more trouble.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Just bought this and it's great so far even though they removed two features that I loved, namely boarding windows and hiding in bushes lol.

Also juggernaut and feral are crazy scary now, what are the best practices here?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ephex posted:

Just bought this and it's great so far even though they removed two features that I loved, namely boarding windows and hiding in bushes lol.

Also juggernaut and feral are crazy scary now, what are the best practices here?

Juggernauts: run. They are not worth fighting, unless they're in your base/on top of an objective. They will beat up your car. If you must fight them, dodge-dodge-dodge. When you shoot/hit them enough times they go down on one knee, that's when you run in and execute them.

Ferals: headshot them IMMEDIATELY. Has to be a head shot. You are not fast enough to run away from them. Melee is only as a last resort. Get onto a high surface like a car or roof to shoot them from.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to add to the ferals conversation, if you cannot headshot them, at least shoot them! they do damage insanely fast and rack up long term wounds even quicker. shooting them will knock them off balance and keep them from pouncing you. there's no amount of ammo that's worth your survivor's life! just shoot!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I would add that while with most zombies you can go down a few times and bounce back from 0 health with some injuries, that is not an option with a feral or jugg, so watch your health more than usual.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Anyone know offhand if there was an update in the past day or two? I've hit the second time now where the game refuses to launch and I have to reinstall it completely per the Microsoft Store in order to get it running again, and I'm not sure if it corresponded with the last patch or not.

I'm realizing right now I may have originally installed it via the Microsoft Store, which might be the problem, since I've never even remotely had an issue with the Xbox App for any other game. Gonna cancel the install and try reinstalling it via the Xbox App this time and see what happens.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ThePagey posted:

Anyone know offhand if there was an update in the past day or two? I've hit the second time now where the game refuses to launch and I have to reinstall it completely per the Microsoft Store in order to get it running again, and I'm not sure if it corresponded with the last patch or not.

I'm realizing right now I may have originally installed it via the Microsoft Store, which might be the problem, since I've never even remotely had an issue with the Xbox App for any other game. Gonna cancel the install and try reinstalling it via the Xbox App this time and see what happens.

I had this happen twice a couple of months ago. First time I reinstalled, second time I think I did some powershell fuckery that I found through a google search because I didn’t want to reinstall again. I guess it worked because it hasn’t happened again.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Alamoduh posted:

I had this happen twice a couple of months ago. First time I reinstalled, second time I think I did some powershell fuckery that I found through a google search because I didn’t want to reinstall again. I guess it worked because it hasn’t happened again.

The MS store saves your downloads in the cache, so when you have a bad install you have to both uninstall and clear the cache (or it will just copy the cached download).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played this game when it came out and had a decent time, so I decided to try the updated version.

Verdict: still buggy as poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Scrying_Orb/status/1256714526168281088

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pfft I've repaired cars that are so thankful for the toolbox that they jump over houses

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Pfft I've repaired cars that are so thankful for the toolbox that they jump over houses

Given it didn't actually repair, it's more like it's pissed off I won't leave it be as a smoking, doorless ruin.

Anyway, left my legacy as a sheriff on providence ridge. Dread difficulty is definitely a big improvement. I had the most genre-appropriate moment emerge when an enclave betrayed me and the initial spatter of gunfire drew multiple hordes of zombies. I ran away and hid on the roof and watched the enclave get swarmed. Took pot shots. The sheriff is a monster.

Like the first time I played, SOD2 feels like a decent game that is the core of a much better game. Here's hoping SOD3 nails it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm no programmer but it feels like vehicles are "replaced" by a more repaired version which can have wonky physics interactions as it comes into existence.

Probably that vehicle was repaired but the little trip it took made it worst than before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have made it to day :nice: of my 100 day run.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Had a friend in another state wanting to play something and we both owned this, so what the hell. Never gave multiplayer a fair shake originally but played the hell out of the game. Fired up my old 2018 save to try to remember how to play.

All my weapons are broken. Apparently this is a glitch that might be patched in the future, but it's making for a comically weird recovery run. Spare parts are the most valuable commodity. My stockpile of good melees and guns is a scrapheap and I'm desperately grabbing everything I can just to recover. At least I've got super veteran survivors and boons on this game to make it not horrible. Kind of miffed about my m5a1/rebar blade stockpile but the game still owns so meh.

Do the newer difficulties offer anything more than a pain-for-cheevo trade? Anything new that's fun/interesting? Last I played was before they nerfed 50cals 2-shotting hearts and making you able to clear them all 20 minutes after starting a game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mailer posted:

Do the newer difficulties offer anything more than a pain-for-cheevo trade? Anything new that's fun/interesting? Last I played was before they nerfed 50cals 2-shotting hearts and making you able to clear them all 20 minutes after starting a game.

Both dread/nightmare make juggernauts way more dangerous by making them plague juggs, and both difficulties ask more skill out of you in handling humans / plague hearts. I had to start doing things on dread I never did on normal, and nightmare, well -

Nightmare makes ALL sound items worthless because any sound makes zombies spawn and come for you. Literally just walking around makes zombies happen, and they can be hoards of ferals/juggs/bloaters. It completely changes the game in how you approach it, what items are important, etc. I'd say give it a go, but don't bring survivors you care about, because lethality is high.

So in a sense, dread is the base game but more difficult (pain-for-cheevo, if you want to be negative about it) and nightmare is the game but so difficult it forces new strategies. I'd say both are worth trying.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Given my last two hours replaying saw an nearly-infinite amount of hordes spawn (except for the quest one I wanted, which spawned inside an inaccessible trailer) I'm fine to tap out at Normal. Watching a packed road of plague zombies jankily spawn five feet in front of my moving car is funny. It would stop being funny if they were all juggs/ferals that immediately killed me for the crime of playing the game.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Are there some guidelines to closing out a run with characters? I've come back to this game after completing a run through when it first came out, however i dont remember if there is any prep from my current base I should do before finishing the final mission. Can i bring vehicles to subsequent runs?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

No, you can’t bring vehicles but think about which characters you like and have the best skills, then fill up their inventory with hard to craft or find resources like C4 and a ruck of resources to have for the early game (especially materials and meds). The inventory of survivors, including whatever rucks they are carrying, will carry over if you select them for a new community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
ah alright, cool I assume then as well bounty progress also resets?