Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The reviews for this have been utterly dragging it for being a open world collect-a-thon mess, but honestly I played the original like SimCity so I will probably still get it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s more built up State of Decay. The first one didn’t review super well either but these types of games pretty much never do. The better metric is going to be the overall reaction to those who liked the first one

Makes sense. I would imagine that most reviewers weren't familiar with the first given the reviews. Yeah a lot of it is repetitive and the AI can't find its rear end with both hands, but that is unchanged from the first.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The market of whether you enjoy SoD is if you get a near sexual thrill out of hauling a bag of aspirin across the country.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There's also people approaching this from the (understandable) perspective of not enjoying the first game, seeing this as more of the same instead of refinement, and calling it good.

This is also pretty niche.

e: I really worry about them not being on Steam. The XBone is clearly the lesser console this generation and without the ability to reach the PC's largest install base easily, I fear the game being a dud. I literally didn't even know it was coming out until this past week.

Xbone has been kind of weird with its exclusives recently since Halo/Gears petered down. They tend to have very niche exclusives that appeal to small numbers of big fans rather than things like The Last of Us or Uncharted.

Which is a shame because it isn't a bad console, they just have weird development styles.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is this on Gamepass today or Tuesday? I've got like 60 bucks in credit to burn at Gamestop and I'm tempted to grab this but the reviews are giving me pause.

You get the Season Pass, some items and a the first game I believe.

When it officially comes out on the 22nd.

Has anyone ordered a physical copy of the game and got the early access code? I have been trying to move away from entirely digital media but I dont know how the early access would work with amazon.

E. Nm ended up going with the digital copy for crossplay

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 18, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Whoever decided that "ready to start" didnt have to be anything more than a glorified menu deserves what is coming to them.

Hit me up for xbox co OP at "Dreamships"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not usually one for graphics snobbery, but this game kind of looks like rear end. I dont have the fancy upgrades xbox, but still

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dollars to doughnuts the first DLC is going to be Breakdown mode, same as it was in the last one

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there a way to upgrade outposts? Only getting one extra item per day is pretty weak

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blew up all the hearts and I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Am I supposed to be traveling to a new area now? All it says is that you are "making your leader's legacy"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sounds like you just uh...play the video game.

Also I forgot I got a Steam Link so Im gonna pick this up Tuesday since I can play the game on my nice TV

Its just weird that it was it was the only objective.

What is the best way to get new colonists? Occasionally people will get the option when I rescue them but most of the time it's a ton of work for groups, and they don't have the skills or empty slots that I need (mechanics and gardening)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Don't forget to get your free supply drops if you're playing this game now. The weapons are real nice to have!

I had a weird bug where I could call in the crates but not withdraw for them, because I was "missing the content"

FYI if you are shooting for all the achievements you will have to play through the game four times, so don't feel overly attached to the first one if you don't wan't to. I would assume that is why outposts give less now, since you are supposed to complete and move on, not sustain. That said, if you are smart and Iiberally use the supply search function (which I believe spawns stuff) it is probably sustainable.

Endgame warning, when it gives you a note that you cant turn back, they mean it. Dont do it until you ate ready to restart.

I'm still salty that I never found a single person with the mechanics skill

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

batteries! posted:

I have no idea if resources or items are duplicated in multiplayer, because right now you can "volunteer" into a game, take a car to your host base, swipe everything from his stash, and just disconnect.

Is it his stash? I thought it was yours.

You dont steal loot, I do know that. Each person has their own set of lootable stuff in buildings.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

God damnit, just lost my 2 best survivors because I drove into a ditch and got stuck just as 2 hordes were wandering by. Things went downhill quickly.

How do I use the skill magazines? My guy just says "NOPE!" when I try using it and I have no idea why.

Does the guy have an empty skill slot?

batteries! posted:

I don't know what the gently caress then, I didn't have all of this ammo before.

You get a pile of stuff when you complete a multiplayer thing that is separate from what you pick up, mostly health and ammo. Maybe it was that

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo, probably not. I assumed you could assign multiple skills but that wouldn't make much sense.

Unfortunately not, and if the person has some random skill like music or basket weaving you cant replace it with something more practical

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Archonex posted:

That loving sucks, and is totally not how I recall them saying it worked. The implication was that you'd just pack up and move on to a new map when things got too tough to survive.

At least you can carry over survivors. Do items put on them get carried over too? Building up a hilarious arsenal of top tier experimental military weaponry in the first game across multiple levels was hilarious.

I mean you dont have to do that mission. It will nag you until you do, but you are free to stay indefinitely if you want to.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shoehead posted:

The first time I went against the thieves they pushed my poo poo in. Now I'm afraid to try again.

I'm thinking of moving my base, the little starter house is packed tight and I've more resources than I can actually use right now. Dunno if it's a big process or anything but I have my eye on a big church in a nearby town.

Human enemies are tough as hell. The best way to kill them are to lure them outside and run them over with a car. Failing at that, headshots are always a one hit kill

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

Ive heard from questionable sources that this game is poo poo. Which is a real shame because I loved the hell out of the first game. Can anyone confirm/deny these rumors?

If you loved the first game you will love this one. Remember that the first one reviewed poorly too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yar The Pirate posted:

So other than the plague hearts how does difficulty scale? I read this has a breakdown-esque mode and it gets harder as you grow your community but so far I'm not having any trouble with the game at all. I'm still in the starter house and got a leader installed so maybe I'm still in the tutorial?

They never really get that bad imo. Even the whole "you can't melee them" is false as long as you dodge back when it starts glowing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Top of the head, the biggest fort I found had two outside smalls and one large outside. So two gardens (+3 food max I think) and one farm (six food max?) plus four food outposts all add up to sixteen total food. Theoretically that would be the max sustainable number, but outposts should not be used for food and meds since you can make those imo. So the real hard cap would be 12 people if you never run food packs.

That's not awful, but it's definitely a lot less sustainable than SoD1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tumble posted:

How does dismissing a follower work? If I dismiss them far from home base does it send them on a risky journey home through dangerous zombie-infested lands?

Yes, although I'm not sure if they walk the whole way or teleport offscreen.

Using followers is awesome and should be done always but they do require a lot of babysitting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nion posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen people say that if your leader dies, you get to pick a new one.

Long live the king

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

For what it's worth I haven't run into any real bugs so far in my 10-15hrs of playing. Every now and then your car hits an obstacle that causes it to catapault into the air comically but haven't had any game breaking poo poo happen.

The only one I had that really hosed me (other than trucks getting stuck on logs) was when I was in the middle of a big fight and the entire UI just disappeared. I made it through it by just randomly using items whenever my dude looked hurt. Lost a bunch of items and my companion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I do wish there was more in the way of managing and dealing with your people, and I'm getting annoyed with the sheer rate of other jerks constantly demanding my attention,

This does annoy me. "We are allies but you didnt give us a fifth bag of ammunition, so gently caress you we are leaving".

Folks, there are three of you, get your own ammo like I did.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You know, the zombie biology in this game is weird. You can catch the Zed from the blood zombies and turn into one, but you have no problem getting your neck chewed through as long as you pop some pills after.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

How do the preorder bonuses work? I had them drop for my very first group but after that I never got the option again. Also ordering cars?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CVagts posted:

I started in Plateau with my first tutorial, and all three rerolls I've tried throw me into Plateau.

Which sucks because Plateau is the worst map. The overall design is fine but the prevalence of car-jamming one foot tall rocks makes traveling anywhere off the main roads an insane liability.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Serf posted:

I think that gas is only consumed when the car actually moves. Today I got stuck and spent about two minutes wiggling the tires and finally managed to get free, and the gas didn't do down at all.

It's a mixed bag. Sometimes it doesn't go down, other times it does. I think it depends on the exact angle.

I dont understand why they insist on rigid body structure cars while having them handle like matchbox cars.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Staging Area; worth it? I built it hoping it would reduce all upkeep but seems to only get rid of the materials upkeep which seem kinda meh. I do like that I was able to build an auto mechanic, craft a bunch of the upgrades, then demolish it. The passive vehicle upgrades that gives seems pretty lovely so I think I'll just build one when I need to craft some upgrades but I made 2 of each which should last me.

If I am building a new base I throw one up first then tear it down at the end, other than that seems like a waste.

Caidin posted:

Hey thats not all, They'll also hold onto 3 units of food just for you champ.

This is like when your parents tell you to give them your Halloween candy for "safekeeping"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 29, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

it just sucks when youve wasted 3 rucksacks on people hoping to recruit them eventually or something and then the time you cant bring them the 4th because youre across the map involved in something theyre like "gently caress you were out, thanks for nothing assholes"

Imo immediately recruit people from the enclaves once you ally them. The bonuses for holding on to them are *awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Av027 posted:

Depends on the enclave. I slogged through the missions for some boozers (and let me tell you, those people are a useless, drunk pain in the loving rear end every step of the way - I seriously considered just killing them all several times), and they're the best thing ever once allied. Every 10 minutes, for 75 influence, you can call in supplies from them that include a food ruck, 3 molotovs, some ethanol, and... I think a high trade value item? In short, you can pretty much ignore food production if you stay on top of it, or if you take the brewery as your base, you can brew beer (and fuel/ethanol) with the excess food you'll end up with (alongside a couple hydroponics slots). Destroy plague hearts with the molotovs, and make whiskey with the ethanol. It's an influence/food/fuel printing press for the minor investment of prioritizing any further needs the boozers have.

I think they are an exception though, they seem to have their own unique lines and quests. It's more the generic ones that give you knothing.