Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S4 OG has some of the actual biggest laughs in the series and this recut doesn’t maintain that at all. Some of the new gags are good, nothing will ever top the Mongolian reveal at the end, and Gob’s roofie circle is too diminished.

The remix is fine, but I’m one of the people who thought S4 was brilliant.

As disappointing as all this Tambor clamour is, I still can’t wait for S5 to drop.

Also, apparently the cast didn’t get paid for the remix and they all think that’s bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I doubt there is anything left to film since the show already wrapped for cast back in november

also it's weird to say blanketly "Cheating on your spouse makes you a bad dude" because we dont have the slightest window into their relationship. If you've ever been in a relationship with someone who emotionally abuses you or mentally abuses you, sometimes loving someone else is the only way to get any sense of self worth back into your life.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I don’t know how anyone could look at Arnett’s body of work outside of AD and not just blankety assume he’s got some serious self-worth issues to work through.

But I also think Bojack Horseman is the funniest and most important TV show since Arrested Development.

Amy Poehler wrote a book about marriage and relationships and she had a passage about maintenance sex being an important tool in a married person’s repertoire and that really cemented the idea in my head that she was probably a very smart lady but with some stuff going on, and according to her neighbors she sucked to live next door to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s very explicitly stated in George Sr.’s last episode

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because the content was insanely hosed up

Baby... Who hurt you?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The racism has always be firmly grounded in making the Bluth’s look bad and ignorant, but the homophobic themes and trans-jokes have always been somewhat mean-spirited in a very sit-comy way.

That’s why the Loophole joke is so weird. It just a stereotype gag performed by 3 Asian people for seemingly no comedic value.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Arrested Development Seasons 1-4 are so good that i am buckled in for wherever this is going, but i must simply reserve judgment until my 2nd complete viewing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also feel like there is more Maeby in S5 than like all of S1-S2 combined and while Alia Shawkat looked positively... festive in S4 she is ridiculously fine in S5, which makes her costumes even more extreme.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Were you ok with the transphobia, racism, ableism, and homophobia 15 years ago when the show came out?

What about GOB’s affinity for roofying people?

The show has always been about objectively terrible people, and all these people white-knighting Jessica Walters are also ignoring her choice to act in this show, as well as her agency to stand by these men and continue to support the cast.

I’m not defending his behavior, I believe the two women, I’m just saying I really don’t see how it affects this show, but I also don’t think art/music/tv is ruined if someone involved is a scumbag (like The Beatles)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calico Heart posted:

Also anyone notice the weird influx of rape jokes this season? The show had a couple before, but episode one has the conversation between George Michael and Maebe, episode two has the "I rape and kill" bit and episode three literally ends suggesting Buster is raped in prison

I think people expressing this sentiment are either looking for them when you didn't notice them before or are simply more sensitive to them. Prison rape jokes have always been a part of this show (Oscar: AND THEY COVER IT IN SOAP AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO THANK THEM), Barry Zuckercorn spying on children, Michael almost sleeping with a MRF, literally Tobias's entire pedophilia plot line in S4, like the ENTIRE Tony Wonder//GOB plot is predicated on roofies and masks and lying about who fucks who. These are all forms of sexual assault and harassment and some of the funniest moments in the show, at least the Gob//Tony plot.

Actually the best 'rape' joke got CUT from the S4 edit: When they warn Lucille about getting sexually assaulted by a guard and she says something like "Send them a thank you note" or something, and I loved that it was simple and charming and biting, like all her best lines.

The Transparent reference was a reference to the show and I don't think there isn't a read of that as joking about sexual assault without just reaching into the stratosphere.

The rapist/murderer island gag is funny because it's not attacking or laughing at real victims, its an imaginary island full of rape and murderers who don't exist.

I'm personally way, way more uncomfortable with the density of incest in the show than with the handful of rape jokes. Like am I the only person who thought Lindsay trying to gently caress Michael and then Gob trying to gently caress Lindsay was the grossest part of the show? It was kind of only acceptable when it was two 15 year olds but now they are in there 20's and its just... uh like insanely gross. The only comedic value it adds is another layer of "The fabulously wealthy have strained values".

Ron Howard: "It was a lot of words about rape."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Michael and Toddler going over Tobias’s license plate and then also ANALRAP-you know never mind is actually hysterical

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually my favorite thing about S5 is that I feel like up until now it was implied that Michael’s wife was killed by Gob’s fiery illusion at the wedding, which always really hurt me, so now it ‘just’ being cancer made me feel better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

David Cross is absolutely terrible in this season.

This is my biggest disappointment. Portia being a non-entity hurts but Buster/Michael/Gob all have amazing moments... Tobias sucks and his weird mustache friend just seems like they wanted to do Dubris Redux but then I guess they got Maria Bamford anyways so like what’s the point even? How could every one of his scenes be so week.

Also no sight gags is a huge revelation for me. Remember hair plugs and falling down the stairs?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A trademark of AD has always been a density of jokes. S5 is the least densely packed by an order of magnitude

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How loving amazing would the other 8 episodes have to be for this season to be good?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The last 8 episodes should just be George Michael and Maeby getting married, completely disregarding all current plotlines

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anything in new MST3K is as funny as the Panther I’ll eat my loving shoes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S5 is getting absolutely bodied by the reviews, I’ve seen a single positive one and probably nearly a dozen “this was a huge mistake”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think S4 was better than S3 but I just hated the entire Rita storyline and I only rewatch those episodes for Tobias/Gob’s plotlines and every single instance of “Mistah Effffff!”

• Locked thread