Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they used google for the sacremende joke back in season 2 or 3, which makes the s4 stuff even weirder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the george sr. thing was just a very long 'hey this guy is in transparent' meta bit, like how george michael's story is a whole social network parody just because a lot of people confused jesse eisenburg with michael sera or lindsay ending up with a face-blindness guy because portia de rossi's face looks different from the first 3 seasons because of a nosejob

it wasn't like, particularly funny or anything but i didn't see it as overly mean-spirited, especially compared to 'maeby tricks steve holt(!) into thinking her mom is trans'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nichael posted:

I've never seen this show before.

[ron howard-ishly] He had.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i just don't really see any hatred in the george sr plot, intentional or not. it's confused and aimless and not really that funny but there's nothing even on the level of the 'shemale' shirt

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

one of my favorite minor 30 rock jokes is when liz talks about playing frederick douglas in a one-woman show and a reviewer describing it as 'too confusing to be offensive' and i think that's basically how i feel about s4 george sr.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Edit: What's doubly weird is that the big reveal of the season 3 finale is that George was revealed to be the puppet behind Lucile's mastermind. This show demonstrably didn't toy in that arena before.

this comment making me feel disappointed that we didn't get more about this from s4 lucielle reminded me of the genuinely worst joke of s4 of getting a bunch of asian ladies to say 'roophore' over and over

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the george michael stuff was the high point of season 4 for me, which is probably a big reason i'm so down on the remix compared to the original

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 5 is supposed to have more scenes of George and Lucille when they were young, which sucks because the stuff with Wiig and Rogan were really stupid.

those scenes would've been fine if they weren't where most of the most awkward / least funny callbacks to previous jokes were

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nichael posted:

The best one, by far, was the one with young Barry and his dad. TAKE TO THE SEA!

actually that's the exact one i was thinking of because seeing barry tell them that a husband and wife can't get arrested for the same crime isn't even a callback joke, it's just showing the boring setup to 'i have the worst loving attorneys'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress, I was liking this re-edit much more than the original until they axed the loving incredible scene of Gob realizing he roofied Tony Wonder, which was seriously the best joke of the entire series
Jesus loving Christ how could they gently caress this up so bad

ironically i have zero memory of that being a scene in the original

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh poo poo, yeah now i remember that one

weird thing to cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

In the new version Lucile quotes the Get Away song to Buster saying it feels like it was written for her own son before the Mark Cherry plot is introduced.

Was it like that in the original? Is it better this way?

i think mark cherry had been introduced by that point but not the song itself

• Locked thread