Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Bah. I just read that Netflix Australia doesn't have the rights to show Season 5 on May 29th. drat foxtel!

I loved Season 4 and it's intricately woven plot, with little things building up to have a huge payoff later, so the idea of a chronological 'remix' sounded like an unnecessary copout fan edit. However I've been watching it tonight and I'm quite impressed at how well it is paced and edited thus far.

The new narration bits and jokes are great too. I loved "And so it was Lucille who was given the task of interviewing the key witness... Although she was clearly green at screening witnesses."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Golden Bee posted:

I think it’s down to Jason’s acting that people that he would say likable, normal guy as he dated and kidnapped a retarded woman.

He's also the main protaganist and the straight man of the first three seasons, who you are actively rooting for, and like him you wish him to turn the families situation around, despite the fact they keep demonstrating they're not deserving of it.

Whereas in the fourth season he's more of a secondary character (in that each episode has it's own primary protaganist), and in his episodes you're more rooting for George Michael to kick his overbearing father out of his life, who is just as neurotic and damaged as the rest of them.

I much preferred the college episodes in the remix, as I remember them dragging on forever in the original run, but sadly the great payoff of 'Fakeblock''s actual purpose and George Michael's status as a not-Zuckerberg-wunderkind was revealed straight away when in chronological order.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Calaveron posted:

These guys are pros so I don't doubt they had a big corkboard with miles of yarn trying to figure it out and realized there was no way for them to recut the season successfully without revealing fakeblock earlier

Honestly the ambition and scale of season fours writing astounds me, especially because it was likely born out of the difficulty of getting the cast back together. It was different and jarring, but ultimately proved to be a great example of how a 'available all at once' streaming model could work in a world where Netflix was just starting to feel it's way into a juggernaut of original programming.

The fact that they've managed to re-edit it back together chronologically and still have it work as a serialised show is a great credit to it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think many of the issues with the original season 4 come from it's slow start and it starting with some of the less interesting plots, like George Sr. and Michael's time in college. (Not to mention Lindsey's awful wig) You're also missing the presence of other characters as it's very solo focused in those first episodes.

The slow start comes to a great payoff however, and subsequent rewatches are always fantastic because you pick up on all the little clever details and can unravel the bizarre plotting. Season 4 is definitely up there with the early seasons in my eyes, but it can be different and jarring coming straight out of the syndicated series.

I very much enjoyed the remix, it was a great way to binge it in the background whilst doing work ahead of season 5. However I agree with the guy who created the video earlier, in that it was mostly unnecessary and a shame that it's presence effectively erases the first watch within Netflix, and feels like an attempted 'fix' to a problem with Season 4 that wasn't one of editing. It will be curious to see how people who have never watched Season 4 react to it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

I am Reverend posted:

This season feels like it was supposed to be nonlinear like season 4 but then edited together chronologically. Like Gob and George sr. have their little Mexican road trip spread over two or three episodes and then are just kind of awkwardly in the penthouse when Michael shows up when it could have been confined to its own episode which would have also helped give each individual episode its own identity. I'm really struggling to remember what happened in each one since they never had their own arc or anything they just kind of trailed off into the next one.

The biggest laugh for me was "George Michael wanted to mention his dust allergy, but instead decided to merely hint at it." "There sure is a lot of dust here, huh?" But I can't remember why George Michael and maeby were even in Mexico when that happened and his explanation to Michael later was literally just "we were bored."

I even really liked season 4 when I first watched it and even when reaching the whole series in anticipation for season 5, but right now it's not like I'm salivating for more Arrested Development which is something I thought I'd never feel.

Up to episode 4...

Yeah I found the whole Mexico arc super strange. It was like it was gearing up to bring the whole family together into the one place, or set up a season 4 esque moment where multiple characters were in India at the same time, as slowly revelealed over time. But on the whole the stories were divided ans didn't seem to have much of a consequence with one another and it all ended very quickly with the characters almost immediately returning to OC with a time skip... it feels like it should be like season 4 where we would return to this past moment from a different perspective Ina later episode, but thus far it doesn't look like it's being edited that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm really enjoying Season 5. It definitely feels disjointed in parts, but I've had a good share of belly laughs at jokes and snickers at clever moments. It definitely suffers from what most comedy shows do after a few seasons where characters become overt caricatures of themselves, but it doesn't feel like it's completely off the wagon yet, and it's more Arrested Development, which I'm always excited for.

I think it would work alot better if it had been released closer to Season 4, as it really is a direct continuation of many of the major plot points from there (for good in some cases, for worse in others), and keeps much of the same feel. (Same.) Having such a long gap seems to have caused many of the resolutions from that season to seem shoehorned in or glossed over due to availability of cast and time, and pretending it's still 2013-2015 feels almost as weird as Season 4 moments that pretended to be 2006.

I haven't been following the cast drama at all, so I won't comment on it, but with such drama and poor reception it sounds like we won't get a season 6. Hopefully they will wrap it up satisfactorily. Leaving Season 4 on a cliffhanger was a mistake.

• Locked thread