Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I also love Rogue One. The ending sequence is fantastic but so pandering, like I know it's just fan service for Star Wars nerds, and it's hard to tell if it's good in its own right. I stopped caring about the distinction.

Also, people DID ask for an Obi-wan series. That's literally the only prequely content that I specifically remember people asking for, aside from the actual prequel movies.

Of course there's the often requested "Darth Vader being a murderous rear end in a top hat" series that people asked for, for some reason. People did not ask for Solo, and actually specifically asked not to make Solo, but it's still pretty OK.

edit: oof, sorry this bullshit is a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They had a Resistance cartoon and literally no one cared about it
It was about space racing or some poo poo and the animation looked like RWBY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Darth Vader being a horror movie monster works so drat well, especially given that's pretty much literally how he's introduced in ANH with the implication it's just another Tuesday for him. And it makes the callback in Mandalorian where Luke gives the same treatment to the Dark Troopers work so well, at least for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0rXa1WnZc

This made for a badass finale

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rogue One is a companion piece to A New Hope specifically. Its leads are ambiguous, conflicted, and a bit antiheroic, their cause is on the verge of collapse, and hardly anybody knows just how wicked the villains really are.

In the original trilogy, Luke effectively parts ways with the Rebel Alliance after Hoth, returning only when his personal goals align with their operations. The war becomes the backdrop for his destiny poo poo, keeping the political allegory somewhat sidelined. The prequels allow it to grow a bit more prominent, but it's still readable as a man torn between two surrogate fathers. Rogue One, as a spinoff, puts the politics front and center - it's a bunch of strangers coming together for a cause, not a family falling apart amid historic events.

That also describes A New Hope, is the thing! In that one, Luke is just a guy getting involved. So Rogue One is an alternate extrapolation from that aspect, going in a different direction from where the other sequels went.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yes,see! Well said. Rogue One is cool, if I had to rank the DISNEYS:
Rogue One
The Last Jedi
Solo
The Force Awakens
The Rise of Skywalker

The Solo rankinge is contentious for me. I think I enjoy it much, much more when I treat the main guy like just some guy and not actually HanSolo. Like, he just happens to have the same name because the galaxy has trillions of beings. Or something.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Rogue One was visually nice and had a lot of good elements, but oh my god is that story an absolute cluster gently caress. The lack of time spent with each individual member of the crew is a huge detriment, and Jynn’s motivation and character are all over the place. It’s a shame that movie and Solo were hacked together in reshoots - both could have been very solid movies and instead ended up as disjointed failures.

Also I will always prefer the Death Star just being a flawed design to having a critical weakness built into its design.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Guardians of the Whills and Catalyst should've been made into movies so there'd be a trilogy of films that explain how the Death Star plans got stolen

Also because I love seeing Chirrut and Baze argue like an old married couple while Krennic and Tarkin fight over the water cooler while their boss laughs at them

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Solo could never have been a solid movie with that script. It was a completely wrongheaded approach to both a prequel and to a Han Solo movie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just read the Han Solo Trilogy instead and wait for the Donald Glover miniseries which is Billy Dee Williams recounting stories of his youth that are totally 100% true
(of course Lando has dozens of wives, many of which are clones, and Jawas, and clones of Jawas)

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Solo could never have been a solid movie with that script. It was a completely wrongheaded approach to both a prequel and to a Han Solo movie.

Release the Lord and Miller cut imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Last Jedi is the only new Star Wars movie that made me feel something super deep. It sort of reflected a lot of my personal love for Star Wars, story telling, and also my own personal issues. I came out of that theater on a high I rarely feel.

Then I came home and went online LOL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

The Last Jedi is the only new Star Wars movie that made me feel something super deep. It sort of reflected a lot of my personal love for Star Wars, story telling, and also my own personal issues. I came out of that theater on a high I rarely feel.

I have to say, the way they ended it made me INSANELY hyped for whatever they were going to do for the third movie. That kind of went away when it was announced that Abrams was returning to direct and how it was obvious they wanted to backpedal. And ROS itself sucked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved TLJ. As a Star Wars sequel it was a huge step up from TFA and a great direction for the franchise. As a video essay about Star Wars fandom it was a terrific, biting, and welcome commentary. As a movie... well, knowing that its narrative leads nowhere just makes it extremely difficult to revisit for me. You're just watching a second act to a story that doesn't exist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

No other SW film made me feel the way I did when Ben killed Snoke. My brain just melted into the "it's happening" meme thinking Rey had brought Ben back. Seeing the protagonist and — what I then had thought was — the villain-turned-hero go back-to-back to fight off Snoke's guards together was like Star Wars euphoria for me.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
That whole span between Rey entering the dreadnought to Luke's death... *chef's kiss*

Discussing/hearing people discuss the movie immediately after was a shock. Just walking around being like "Did we see the same movie?" scratched my brain a little. Never have I seen a blockbuster movie have that intense of a Schrodinger's cat reaction before.

Should've figured that out though after getting a mile-wide evil grin the second I saw Luke toss his saber in the theater. And yes the Finn & Rose storyline is half-baked and Rian automatically assumed whoever was doing IX was including Phasma again, but a lot of these complaints can be chalked up these things not being followed through the next installment-

-which is why it's kinda depressing to revisit any of the sequels personally. TLJ at least has interesting ideas that make it a somewhat worth it standalone; and while I really liked TFA when it came out (actually I couldn't stop raving about it and fell for the infinite mystery boxes) while accepting its retro approach to ease the prequel-averse public back, seeing what happened with Rise proved that all the goodwill came from Lawrence Kasdan and JJ doesn't have an original bone in his body--Nor anything to actually say. He's too well adjusted to make Star Wars, and his unfiltered vapid "I only exist to please you" court jester approach not only made it more than evident that remaking the OT was his only route in the first place, but the final result of what Rise became actively sucked any reason for any of the events in Force Awakens to have any substance, rendering TFA boring as sin for me nowadays.

Come to think about it, I do feel guilty shifting the whole blame on JJ. The issue is it's a franchise in the hand of one of only four corporations who own the media landscape, and so executive influence and over-correction is guaranteed.

Also maybe making the films under the rules of a strict clean set and hiring someone look after actors with a history of drug abuse between pictures would have been the correct move, but hindsight is 20/16.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 19, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gonna bring up that the similar problems and medocrities experienced with Disney's last epic theme park ride movie trilogy/quadrilogy/quintology, PotC, indicates that the problems exist at far higher levels than JJ or even Lucasfilm itself. But yeah as the director he's the visible lightning rod.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

teagone posted:

No other SW film made me feel the way I did when Ben killed Snoke. My brain just melted into the "it's happening" meme thinking Rey had brought Ben back. Seeing the protagonist and — what I then had thought was — the villain-turned-hero go back-to-back to fight off Snoke's guards together was like Star Wars euphoria for me.

Ben killing Snoke is one of the coolest Star Wars moments, I love his bisected body falling down in the background as Rey gets up to start fighting

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It would have cooler if Snoke had been a good villain like Jabba or Gunray instead of a total nothing

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Snoke is and has always been a big nothing, but his writing is much better in TLJ

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I was disappointed by TLJ since the reviews made it sound like a bold, original film, but it felt to me like it was mostly a rehash of ESB and RoTJ, with the scenes/events jumbled around. It didn't help either that the overriding theme seemed to be "failure is inescapable," with all the main characters from the original trilogy being cemented as miserable failures, the characters from the new trilogy all continually failing, and the "hopeful" ending being hard to take seriously when there are so few surviving members of the Resistance left that you could fit them all in a phone booth.

A bunch of people like it, and more power to them, but to me it was just a really disappointing film in a lot of ways. I am probably the only person on earth who dislikes the film overall but unabashedly loves the space-B-17 sequence at the beginning though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The United States posted:

Gonna bring up that the similar problems and medocrities experienced with Disney's last epic theme park ride movie trilogy/quadrilogy/quintology, PotC, indicates that the problems exist at far higher levels than JJ or even Lucasfilm itself. But yeah as the director he's the visible lightning rod.

Well, it doesn't help that JJ obviously hosed it up in the ways that JJ usually fucks it up; leaving Mystery Boxes with no actual plan or answer in mind, and general failure to have an overarching plan or structure for a long-term project, which he himself admitted to.

TLJ is still a confused mess that relies entirely on the cheapest tricks to shock and fake out the audience, and constantly threatening to be a more interesting story than it ends up being. A kind of storytelling I've gotten a bit tired of from Disney.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I rather liked that TLJ was just a movie of everyone failing miserably....which may not be what you want people to feel or think about the protagonists.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Snoke is and has always been a big nothing, but his writing is much better in TLJ
I'd say it's twice as good. :v:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A bunch of people like it, and more power to them, but to me it was just a really disappointing film in a lot of ways. I am probably the only person on earth who dislikes the film overall but unabashedly loves the space-B-17 sequence at the beginning though

I think it's competently shot if that helps? It feels desperate and like a war. It's just that it doesn't make sense and where the hell are the YWings and BWings instead of these slow rear end giant targets. Although I hate the "it doesn't make sense" argument. I'm fine if it doesn't make sense but looks good and doesn't break the story in any appreciable way.

I wish TLJ either gave me what I wanted or actually went through with it's own set up....and maybe actually fit with the story FA set up.

The United States posted:

It was about space racing or some poo poo and the animation looked like RWBY

Lol at the way the throw animation just ended so he goes back to neutral

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, it doesn't help that JJ obviously hosed it up in the ways that JJ usually fucks it up; leaving Mystery Boxes with no actual plan or answer in mind, and general failure to have an overarching plan or structure for a long-term project, which he himself admitted to.

TLJ is still a confused mess that relies entirely on the cheapest tricks to shock and fake out the audience, and constantly threatening to be a more interesting story than it ends up being. A kind of storytelling I've gotten a bit tired of from Disney.

It’s not confused to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not confused to me

Good for you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bad for you.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i enjoyed tlj and all but i was confused about what it was trying to say even while walking out of the theater. and im even more confused now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In retrospect maybe shooting a first draft wasn't the best of ideas

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

cuntman.net posted:

i enjoyed tlj and all but i was confused about what it was trying to say even while walking out of the theater. and im even more confused now

sacrificing yourself is bad, except when it's good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't be angry!!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to say, the way they ended it made me INSANELY hyped for whatever they were going to do for the third movie.

Can I ask why? Because any 'interesting' plot thread in TLJ dead-ended before the credits.

quote:

It’s not confused to me
Most of the original ideas people give it credit for get invalidated in the last half hour. The jedi suck and Luke is right about not being a hero. Interesting. No, wait, actually he's wrong. The jedi are awesome and inspiring and he's going to take on the First Order himself and Rey saves the Resistance by floating rocks.
Other similar plot threads: is self-sacrifice good or bad? Are the jedi books important or not? Who cares who profits from war when one side is objectively good and is trying to stop the faction that destroys planets?
The thing about Rey joining Kylo would never happen and Kylo doesn't seem to want to change the status quo by the end (what does he even want).

Spermando fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It feels odd to criticise TLJ for being a film about people dealing with failing miserably when ESB is considered by most to be the best SW film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Spermando posted:

The thing about Rey joining Kylo would never happen and Kylo doesn't seem to want to change the status quo by the end (what does he even want).

Kill the past.

The past tenses. Kylo has just always been terrible at grammar.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Alchenar posted:

It feels odd to criticise TLJ for being a film about people dealing with failing miserably when ESB is considered by most to be the best SW film.

The characters fail at times in ESB, sure, but the movie isn't about failure - certainly not in the way that TLJ is. In ESB, for instance, the Rebels are forced to flee from Hoth, but the evacuation is mostly successful and the casualties suffered defending the evacuation are relatively light. In TLJ, nearly every single member of the Resistance is killed, to a nearly comical degree, and the film almost revels in every failed attempt the Resistance makes to try and escape.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 19, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also when you hear what the plan actually was you're like 'yeah no poo poo it failed', there's no tragedy in the film just farce

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's pretty funny in TLJ when the help that the Resistance is scrambling to call just goes Nope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Spermando posted:

Most of the original ideas people give it credit for get invalidated in the last half hour. The jedi suck and Luke is right about not being a hero. Interesting. No, wait, actually he's wrong. The jedi are awesome and inspiring and he's going to take on the First Order himself and Rey saves the Resistance by floating rocks.

The prequel-era Jedi definitely suck. Their hubris and dogmatic structure led to many bad things. The Jedi Order was systemically broken and needed to be dissolved, so Luke was right imo. The Jedi needed to become something else, and Rey was the catalyst for that. There's very clear messaging in TLJ about classism and how the oppressed/poor/etc. are used as tools of war by the wealthy and corrupt for profit, which is relative to the Jedi Order's monopolization of the force and how they rose to power in the Republic, becoming a dominant political entity.

Ignoring the narrative regression of powerful bloodlines present in TROS, Rey's journey from TFA through to TLJ's climax is emblematic of any person willing to challenge the status quo that likely would have led to a democratization of the Force. See: Broom Kid.

[edit] Also, I love the floating rocks scene. Rey knew she possesed the power to make things float, and I thought her experiencing how/why that power can be so immensely affecting in that moment was a cool character beat.

quote:

Other similar plot threads: is self-sacrifice good or bad? Are the jedi books important or not? Who cares who profits from war when one side is objectively good and is trying to stop the faction that destroys planets?

I'm paraphrasing, but Rose's "we'll win by saving what we love, not fighting what we hate" line does kinda reflect on the major displays of self-sacrifice in the film. She says that in response to Finn being dumb because he was very clear about not wanting to let the First Order win; his attempt at self-sacrifice was reckeless, fueled by revenge, and would only resulted in him dying, nothing else. By comparison, Holdo's act was out of desperation in an attempt to save Resistance member's lives, and Luke's act both sparked hope for the resistance and bought his sister some time to escape. Pretty clear distinction between the three imo.

The sacred Jedi texts serve as a reminder of what the Jedi Order had become. That Rey kept them is sorta irrelevant. Yoda's bit about how failure is the greatest teacher speaks more about their preservation. And, imo, the film's classist themes related to war profiteering planted some really good narrative seeds that could've been explored in the third film. Rose's character (and Finn!) essentially being representiative of working class folk punching up in the form of a space mechanic and space janitor that would spearhead a revolution against a fascist regime in spite of all the warmongering would have been pretty cool. That doesn't happen though, because lol, JJ Abrams' TROS just shits all over that idea.

quote:

He wanted power to burn down all systems of control and he actually secured it by killing his abuser, something his grandfather failed to do/couldn't do until it was too late. He was basically igniting a new path into uncharted territory and wanted Rey to come with him.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 19, 2022

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

teagone posted:

The prequel-era Jedi definitely suck. Their hubris and dogmatic structure led to many bad things. The Jedi Order was systemically broken and needed to be dissolved, so Luke was right imo. The Jedi needed to become something else, and Rey was the catalyst for that. There's very clear messaging in TLJ about classism and how the oppressed/poor/etc. are used as tools of war by the wealthy and corrupt for profit, which is relative to the Jedi Order's monopolization of the force and how they rose to power in the Republic, becoming a dominant political entity.

Ignoring the narrative regression of powerful bloodlines present in TROS, Rey's journey from TFA through to TLJ's climax is emblematic of any person willing to challenge the status quo that likely would have led to a democratization of the Force. See: Broom Kid.
If the point of the movie was that the old jedi were hiding corruption behind an idealised façade, maybe don't end the movie on a shot of some children being empowered by an idealised story of the older jedi in the film. It also makes Luke's arc in the movie pointless because all he had to do to give hope to the people was just be his former self. Everything he says on the island is now dumb and wrong. Mindless hero worship is what works in this universe.

quote:

I'm paraphrasing, but Rose's "we'll win by saving what we love, not fighting what we hate" line does kinda reflect on the major displays of self-sacrifice in the film. She says that in response to Finn being dumb because he was very clear about not wanting to let the First Order win; his attempt at self-sacrifice was reckeless, fueled by revenge, and would only resulted in him dying, nothing else. By comparison, Holdo's act was out of desperation in an attempt to save Resistance member's lives, and Luke's act both sparked hope for the resistance and bought his sister some time to escape. Pretty clear distinction between the three imo.
You know there's a big problem with your script if you have to tell me to ignore or assign implicit motivations to the three examples in the movie where self-sacrifice leads to victory and tell me to focus on the one where there's nothing to gain or lose by sacrificing oneself. How are Holdo and Rose's sister not fighting what they hate? If Finn believes he can get some kind of result by flying into the cannon, how is he not saving what he loves? (Unless you want to say that Finn, a main character in this Disney film, seriously wants to commit suicide out of spite)

quote:

That Rey kept them is sorta irrelevant.
Please ignore this close up shot that's the last we see of this plot element in the film.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 19, 2022

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Don't belittle the role of the Jedi Scripture for the ST, divulging exposition learned from those texts is what makes up 90% of Merry/Pippin's lines in TROS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It was in this very thread that somebody said one of the reasons Disney double downed on blood lineage for force users was centralising who gets to be a hero and it broke me. Disney actively squashed the 'anybody could be a jedi' vibes of the Lucas films in order to promote hero worship of their IP collectibles jesus christ. I mean, the whole enterprise of star wars is capital from the start but I don't know. I'm too sober to be posting like this.