Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao if you think JJ actually had a plan. Abrams is an ok action director, but an idea man? He is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's actually very cool that the prequels and sequels have the exact opposite problem: One worked to satisfy the vision of just George Lucas and the other worked to satisfy the visions of every single possible star wars fan there ever could possibly be.

It's not even a "truth is in the middle" situation they're just both very bad ideas to have haunting and driving any 3 big rear end movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was the good action in this movie again?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

The Little Death posted:

Having just seen this last night, after rewatching TFA and TLJ before, I'm stuck on how, for lack of a better word, "cargo culty" the setting feels now. There's are beats in this movie and TFA that don't make sense unless you know what they are mimicking from the originals.

Like the destruction of the 7 planets of the new republic in TFA. Superficially similar to destroying Alderaan, but bigger and therefore sadder! Except there's no connection to the characters to make the deaths have impact, and afterwards they are quickly forgotten and never brought up again. In fact death as a whole, while always a little loose in Star Wars, has essentially no impact or meaning at all anymore. It wants to be sad or horrifying, but whether it's a main character or a planet full of nameless casualties, they have the same effect on the characters, which is to say none.

It all feels unreal, like watching some bad YouTube sketch that's just pop culture references with no actual story. I watch these movies mostly because I like dissecting stories seeing what could have been better or what got lost through the corporate filmmaking process. TLJ tried to be a little clever with it by trying to directly undermine this central plot of an eternal struggle against an continuously changing pseudofascist enemy, but it was hamfisted and included lots of useless sidetracking for a very muddled message. But the sucking nullity at the core of this new series is shocking to me.

I felt exactly the same way, although this is probably just what corporate big budget filmmaking is now. It just stands out more because we got a higher level of craft and artistry from Star Wars in the past.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

General Dog posted:

Between GoT and RoS, 2019 is the year of George

lmao if they start defending themselves with "actually, we just followed George's ideas for the final act".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

General Dog posted:

The mental image of Palpatine having sex

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

YaketySass posted:

lmao if they start defending themselves with "actually, we just followed George's ideas for the final act".

If they were smart they wouldn't have ever commented on what fans think, especially fans who post on the internet. They should have banned that just as hard as talking about spoilers for all the cast and crew.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The mental image of Palpatine having sex

He did it exactly once to see what it was like and decided he liked frying people to death better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

I liked the death star duel and the kijimi force connection fight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I want to visit the writing room on the day that JJ decided the solution to Kylo saying Rey's parents were no ones was to make them immensely consequential characters but just not pay them any attention at all lmfao

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Her parent were no one. Their names were No and One Palpatine :jerry:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I still don't even really get it, Palps had a son who he allowed to just go off an have a regular rear end life at some point around the Prequels and he didn't give a poo poo about while he was becoming emperor.....but then decided he desperately needed to get ahold of his grand-daughter (during the OT?), so they abandoned her and died rather than say where she was?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’ve already come up with head canon names for the entire Palpatine family. Sheve’s wife was Linda Palpatine, and Rey’s parents were Roy and Trish (née Darklighter) Palpatine

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Comstar posted:

How did they know they needed the Knife after C-3P0 translated it? They know where they need to go, they don't know Chewie's alive, they don't have time to for this poo poo. Why did they go to the Star Destroyer?

because Rey said they needed it

... and that's about it

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

It's funny that Mike actually tried to address, somewhat jokingly but you could tell he was serious, whether the sequel trilogy was partly his fault since prequel hate, and for that matter long form video reviews, coalesced around his plinkett series. Let alone him suggesting Abrams be the director

The answer is yes, the ST is the inevitable result of late capitalism plus idiotic fan culture. RLM is garbage for morons and the shrill prequel haters got what they deserved tbqh

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't think TLJ gave them a ton to work with, but "TROS sucks because of Rian Johnson" is a shockingly dumb take. I'm flustered.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's actually very cool that the prequels and sequels have the exact opposite problem: One worked to satisfy the vision of just George Lucas and the other worked to satisfy the visions of every single possible star wars fan there ever could possibly be.

It's not even a "truth is in the middle" situation they're just both very bad ideas to have haunting and driving any 3 big rear end movies.

I would have said its more one had a plot with poo poo characters and bad acting the other had good characters and good acting with no plot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

2house2fly posted:

TLJ had two characters in charge of the First Order who hate each other, two other characters with a romantic connection and an open channel of communication who were on opposite sides of a war, and the good guys were firm underdogs with potentially powerful allies in the struggle against tyranny. If JJ Abrams couldn't figure out any way to get an interesting story out of that, that's kind of on him
Yeah I was super curious what would happen after TLJ. As it turns out the answer was we'd get a bunch of nonsense entirely unconnected to the core story of both TFA and TLJ.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can we talk about how Rey is not a Mary Sue?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The completely pointless training scene was a pretty funny example of how reactive this film was.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Can we talk about how Rey is not a Mary Sue?

If that phrase bothers you we can toss it out, but I do wish she’d taken an L a time or two at some point along the way. Not because I found her too powerful, just because it would’ve interesting if she ran into a wall and had to deal with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The training scene wasn't pointless! That's how Rey trained! She lifted rocks so good!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Poor Leia's got no home planet to ghost on so she has to tag along with Luke back to the place where she got sexually enslaved by a big slimy space slug.

The least they could have done was the entire Skywalker family. gently caress JJ Abrams so much. :/

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kinda funny that the gold lightsaber is supposed to be this big moment when its counterpart in rotj is just a completely incidental moment from the start of the film

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Kinda funny that the gold lightsaber is supposed to be this big moment when its counterpart in rotj is just a completely incidental moment from the start of the film

Lightsabers being like sacred weapons is annoying to me. Remember at the end of ROTJ when Luke said "I am a Jedi" and THREW HIS LIGHTSABER AWAY

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I still don't even really get it, Palps had a son who he allowed to just go off an have a regular rear end life at some point around the Prequels and he didn't give a poo poo about while he was becoming emperor.....but then decided he desperately needed to get ahold of his grand-daughter (during the OT?), so they abandoned her and died rather than say where she was?

Rey was born well after Endor, which is why Ochi had the dagger (he had to get back to Exegol with her).

It also suggests Palps has been alive for a while.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

Lightsabers being like sacred weapons is annoying to me. Remember at the end of ROTJ when Luke said "I am a Jedi" and THREW HIS LIGHTSABER AWAY

If I was a jedi, I would make a crossbow that shot lightsavers. Really like a T shirt launcher would do the trick too.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah its literally just the writers being oh Luke needs another lightsaber uh how about he makes another one between movies and make it green so its clear to the audience its a new one. Nothing really special or noteworthy about it beyond that

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Argyle posted:

Eh, to be fair, JJ had a plan. Then Rian Johnson threw out JJ's script for episode VIII and did his own thing, leaving JJ scrambling to make episode IX work with brand-new unplanned narrative arcs to take care of.

Rian Johnson is not more powerful than Disney. You can't tell me Disney didn't have suits on set watching the dailies of their billion dollar franchise and who were not ok with what was going on. They're completely fine with firing directions mid-production, which makes me think they were cool with what TLJ was becoming and then the backlash had them scrambling to change things. Blaming Johnson makes it seem like he just dropped the movie on their laps one day.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

2house2fly posted:

The Jedi use Lightsabers because they are graceful and elegant, and because George at the time wanted to evoke a sense of Samurai-like mysticism to them

Also building and completing your own Lightsaber is meant to be the transition point between Padawan and Jedi, because you pick a design and color that is supposed to represent you personality wise.

Though it would own if there is some Sith/ Jedi gunslinger somewhere who uses the Force and a blaster pistol to make trick shots or something

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's a good visual metaphor for how she finally has a sense of her own identity.

And then she calls herself Rey Skywalker anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lilikoi posted:

Rian Johnson is not more powerful than Disney. You can't tell me Disney didn't have suits on set watching the dailies of their billion dollar franchise and who were not ok with what was going on. They're completely fine with firing directions mid-production, which makes me think they were cool with what TLJ was becoming and then the backlash had them scrambling to change things. Blaming Johnson makes it seem like he just dropped the movie on their laps one day.

Hadn't they announced he was going to be making a whole trilogy before TLJ even came out? It seems a lot like they were sure it'd be a smash

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a good visual metaphor for how she finally has a sense of her own identity.

And then she calls herself Rey Skywalker anyway.

Your right she is the gold standard for future characters in the star wars universe!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Hadn't they announced he was going to be making a whole trilogy before TLJ even came out? It seems a lot like they were sure it'd be a smash

Now it kind of feels like it was PR to assuage concerns that JJ wasn't at the helm. I remember lots of people worrying over that JJ wasn't the director.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lilikoi posted:

I'm still absolutely convinced some MAJOR fuckery happened post production TLJ, because the editing and pacing in that film is loving bizarre, and the ending is just :psyduck: in terms of where they could have ended

It could be that's just Johnson's style, but idk

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 24, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm still absolutely convinced some MAJOR fuckery happened post production TLJ, because the editing and pacing in that film is loving bizarre, and the ending is just :psyduck: in terms of where they could have ended

Yeah I personally 100 percent think Disney stepped in because they didn't want Rey to be anything but a perfect hero. Never a moment of her getting her moral compass confused. Basically, they viewed Rey as a Disney Princess and not a conflicted Star Wars character.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

It could be that's just Johnson's style, but idk

I don't think even the stupid evil fraud hack from hell Rian Johnson could have possibly set out to have a scene where Leia congratulates Poe before Poe has actually done anything

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It kinda feels like Johnson did a good job with the stuff he was interested in, with the Rey-Kylo stuff, but then had to put in stuff with Finn (who was basically a co-lead in TFA) and Poe who they randomly decided needed to be important that was pretty meh as well as go against his whole thing at the end.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, this. TLJ was okay, not amazing, right up until the last 30-45 minutes of the movie. Then it completely hosed itself.

I had this discussion with my partner the other day. I was like "I liked TLJ but gently caress Leia Poppins" and she's like "but Leia is a force user" and I'm like "naw dawg, is not that she used the force, its that she was so obviously shot flying while standing loving up it just ruined everything about that scene"

But I liked the last bit of TLJ so

None of Star Wars is high art. Except the laser sword hilt design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Chewie medal would have been less bad if it was Han's medal and it was a keepsake of remembrance for his friend. Maz giving it to him as he is the person that would most appreciate it.