Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jerkface posted:

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy 2 days
- How will the resistance rebuild Yes
- How will the First Order be defeated 500 dead
- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader 3000 dead
- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey 15 dead
- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice No
- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

There's an interiority to Anakin which is developed over the course of the prequels - he loves Padme and his mother, fears losing them, is frustrated by the laws and rules of the Republic and Jedi, etc. etc. Even Darth Maul gets a line about revenge.

Kylo starts off being tempted by Snoke - how? by what? - and Snoke starts off wanting to destroy the Republic and restore the Empire - why? for what benefit? The Rashomon stuff with Luke comes after that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think it's more about oversensitivity to prequel backlash. "This will begin to make things right."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

you know what they mean, jesus christ

he's the source of the audience's information

Right, like when Obi-Wan tells Luke about his dad Anakin, or when Han boasts about his amazing ship

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

In The Last Jedi, Supreme Leader Snoke provides us, the audience, with information about Kylo Ren's intentions: Ren is going to kill Rey. But then Ren suddenly kills Snoke and frees Rey! What a flub. They needed to set that plot point up by having Hux say something like "Oh no here comes Snoke, with his poor grasp of theory of mind" in a previous scene.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Like my brain genuinely hurts, it honestly looks like half the people watched a different movie than the other half. Maybe that's my brain problems, but I don't get it.

It's not even about the movie, it's about the sheer extremity in opinions. You either hate the movie's guts, or you're crying your eyes out while naming your firstborn Rey Skywalker. What the gently caress is going on

50% of the human race are below-average intelligence......

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

it's like doggerel, it rhymes

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

hell, you could probably just adapt KOTOR to act as the backbone for the sequel trilogy

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

the "rule of two" is just Republic immigration quotas for Exogolians

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

It isn't specifically stated, but the tech that lets the FO track the Resistance is on Snoke's ship. Had they not stayed and destroyed the Dreadnought, the Resistance would have been gone before Snoke's ship arrived, so it wouldn't have been able to track them.

the tracking tech is on every ship, which is why they have to dupe the tracker instead of just blowing it up, as specifically stated in the extremely confusing explanation scene

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Lightsaber Blue No Matter Who

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

luke with the sacred jedi sexts,

it was Rey and Kylo who had the jedi sexts

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

General Dog posted:

Right, when Ren says Rey came from nothing, it’s framed as some hard truth for her, but what diagetic reason would she have to suspect otherwise?

We could give it the benefit of the doubt and say, “Well, Rey already knew basically who they were and that they weren’t anyone of great importance; the real revelation for her is the abandonment aspect,” but in that case you have a disconnect where the audience is reacting to a completely different angle of the revelation than the protagonist is.

Rey's fantasy is that she wants to be the protagonist of a YA fantasy series (or, you know, Star Wars) and have someone someday come looking for her to tell her that yer a Jedi, Harry; that her parents are if not alive then special and significant; that she didn't waste away on Tatooine for how-many-years for nothing. she doesn't know who her parents are supposed to be, she just wants them to be someone

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

TFA doesn't show much in general tho

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Luke and the texts is fine as a moment of personal growth for Luke but it gets all jumbled up with "let the past die" and "rich elites are taking advantage" which are bombs squarely aimed at the audience. it's hard to relate what Yoda says to what Kylo says to what Rey does: should we burn the texts, or save them, or save them while pretending you burned them...? is a Jedi v Sith Star War good or is it empowering the real bad guys, the rich Neutrals, or...?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I did it all for the Snokie

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

both trilogies were crippled by being overly concerned with negative audience reception, though more so Star Wars

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

The Little Death posted:

You even have the idea in the third game where they are literally taking apart organics and putting them back together as if they were synthetics pointing ultimately to the idea that there is no difference between the two.

well, this is always true. Miranda and Grunt are synthetic people, genetically engineered with only one or zero actual parents - they are robots made from hydrocarbons rather than metals. this is true of all science-fiction: in Rossum's Universal Robots, the robots are humans made from synthetic flesh; in Star Wars, the droids are enslaved persons, not machines designed to enjoy servitude

synthetic vs organic is the specific phrasing because Hudson believes artificial intelligence will be the technological trigger for this existential crisis (in the same way that nukes were the technological trigger for for the crisis of global castastrophic war) but if you drop the anthrochauvinism synthetic vs organic describes most conflicts in the game. it's equivalent to generational conflict or, more simply, two entities trying to exist in the same space and annihilating one another in the process. it's this nuance that the Shivans lack (Freespace being an unfinished trilogy, of course)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

The incoherence of the ending of the Mass Effect trilogy is pretty well-telegraphed in hindsight, but if you're into it, it can keep you still thinking it's going somewhere good until remarkably late in the game. The Rise of Skywalker, by contrast, puts all its cards on the table before the first act is over.

it's not well-executed in terms of pacing/editing but I don't think it qualifies as incoherent - the game pretty explicitly lays out its thesis in the final dialogue with the Catalyst

incoherent is the climax of Rise of Skywalker, in which Rey murdering Palpatine is good, then bad, then good; Kylo Ren is alive, dead, alive then dead again; so on and so on

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darth Maul was practically made to sell Halloween masks.

this is just good design though. who wants a halloween mask of maz kanata?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

George Lucas: Yeah. They are the most moral of anybody in the galaxy. They're monks.

I mean this reads as incredibly dry sarcasm to me

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

But the point is that this is a viewer's critique of the film, not the film's critique of the Jedi.

Hmm.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Somewhere on skywalker ranch, George smirks "just as planned"

re: disney being so bad at star wars that his stuff is positively re-evaluated

Lucas lays down his lightsaber and surrenders to Disney, trusting that when the time comes the fans will intervene to save him

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I thought the original Empire and Stormtroopers in ANH were supposed to be the US circa the Vietnam War

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

drat it sounds like fascism in Star Wars is more complicated than we thought. maybe in real life too. makes u think

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

what this suggests is we need to be careful about how we deploy "fascist" and "Nazi". like, just the terms "fascist" and "Nazi" alone aren't interchangeable

similarly, it's not enough just to say something looks like Nazism, therefore it is Nazism. the Commie-Nazis that attack UNICEF commando McBain look like Nazis...

e: beaten

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

one of the first lines of The Force Awakens is Max von Sydow saying "This will begin to make things right."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I think sometimes writers make allusions to things outside the text without necessarily being a thesis statement

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

generally speaking authoritarians don't come to power because of their innate strengths(?), let alone their weaknesses

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

maybe relatable/likeable characters was always a dumb criticism

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I don't think the youth of today have had their minds frazzled by some gizmo to the point they can't remember the difference between films and cartoons

to be blunt, needing likeable/relatable characters smacks of small-minded conservatism to me. for creators, it encourages weaker character writing; for audiences, it inhibits the development of empathy as a life skill

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

not sure what is so egregious about the quote expounding on how cruelty is self-destructive and bad. strictly speaking the actual purpose of the paragraph is to conclude Carrot's character development

tbh sounds like the real problem is we're mad at nerds for being nerdy, again

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

e: KOTOR1 would have been a fine base for the sequel trilogy to rip off, instead of what we got

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Eh, I dunno. Love the Kotors, as games to play, but I doubt much of the story would make for good movies.

thinking less a direct adaptation and more the broader strokes. which, I mean, it's just Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic, right?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

"a plan" is probably less important than just having a coherent shared idea of what stuff means, what's important, basic premises and approaches not just to Star Wars but general philosophy of life

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I hate talking about "setting up" and "paying off" like a story is just so many dominoes but it's not as if The Force Awakens spun an intricate web of characters and plotting that just went to waste in the sequel

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

"set-ups" and "plot threads" matter less than the fact that all three sequel movies are blindly reactive. you only need to worry about where the previous movie leaves off if you're going somewhere in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I kinda read Abrams' mystery box talk as more a justification for writing to individual plot beats or particular imagery without thinking too much about what stuff means or why things happen, because unanswered questions are intriguing

personally I think this is fine except when your underlying framework as an author turns out to be dull or ignorant, and your mysterious ideas in juxtaposition just end up contradicting or repeating themselves