Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kidkissinger posted:

I hate to break it to you, but 300 isn't Starship Troopers even a little bit.

You're right, it's a lot more blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

If they had actually mentioned how broken Spartan society was in any way, even in the background you might have an argument.

You mean like the very first scene of the movie, where Spartans decide whether or not to throw a baby off a cliff while a pile of dead baby skulls fills the screen?

You should really stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

So you believe in the possibility that a scene full of dead babies can portray the protagonist as badass? Hypothetically, I mean? That the protagonist participating in throwing children to their death can make them seem badass to somebody?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

Man, have you ever met people in the armed forces?

Yes. My wife's poor cousins. Nice kids, but they got indoctrinated into some pretty silly poo poo.

*thinks back to the beginning of 300*

...oh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

My fellow soldiers ate that loving movie up. I think the only movie I saw even close to as much when deployed was maybe V for Vendetta.

They would have eaten up Robocop as well.

galagazombie posted:

It's like you people don't remember that killing people with birth defects and believing it was cool and necessary to make themselves "badass" is not something real-world fascists believe and have literally done.

So your argument is that because the movie shows fascists things that were actually done it's not a satire. Good argument.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I want to get back to the Robocop thing because I saw the movie when I was young and I was 100% enamored with it and thought it owned.

Only later in life did I realize that Robocop was not actually a treatise on why having a privatized cyborg cop who shot the balls off rapists was a good thing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "not getting" the message of a movie the first time around, as I truly believe that all good satire should be able to be read "straight". And in fact you will find genuine serious defenders of almost every satirical movie, and yes this includes 300, Robocop, Starship Troopers.

The problem comes when you're so committed to hating a film-maker that you discard the mountain of evidence (including his own words) that the movie is not playing 100% on the level.

You can hate Snyder for actual things that he does in his movies. You don't have to make poo poo up.

https://stephenapplebaum.blogspot.com/2014/04/from-vault-zack-snyder-on-300.html

quote:

After a day of interviews, the fast-talking 41 year old is well aware of what people have been saying. “It’s kind of fun for me,” he says unexpectedly. “I’m a genre filmmaker so for someone to call me a 'fascist filmmaker' is like the best compliment in some ways.” He checks himself. Compliment is the wrong word. What he actually meant was, "it’s pretty awesome” people are taking the film so seriously.

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

Again, I ask, what does a non satirical version of this movie look like?

The comic book 300.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

Snyder said that he thought Frank Miller got everything exactly right and completely nailed it in the graphic novel, but sure, I'm sure he really wanted to make something subversive

Then it's really, really weird that he made major changes to it, and that Miller described 300 as Zack Snyder's movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

I never read the comic, but from what I understand, the peace-nick rapist non soldier politician was added in the movie, so Snyder added some choice rhetoric there.

Yes, regular old senatorial Democracy is portrayed as weak and ineffective; the Senate is a uniform hive-mind of fools.

Again, you have a scene where somebody finally gets fed up and stops talking and just stabs a person, and the evidence of their lagresse and treachery spills out of them like blood onto the Senate floor, and every single Senator starts honking "traitor! traitor!" like the seagulls from Finding Nemo, and your response is "yes, this is all very fascist. This is obviously meant to be a compelling case for fascism."

quote:

"It’s very particular. It’s on the edge of being camp. It rides the line.”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You don't need to touch on the slavery and pederasty. Here's what you do: you show a pile of dead babies, and you show a cute baby about to be thrown off a cliff, and you have the king drone on about how great the Spartans are. This is the first thing you put in the movie. The second thing you put in a movie is a child punching another child, while the king drones on about how great the Spartans are.

This should be sufficient to inform the audience that the Spartans are Very Bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Who the gently caress is the person who's like "Baby killing? No problem. Forcing children to fight each other? I'm down. But SLAVERY? And PEDERASTY? These Spartans have gone too far!!!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

Uh, Nazi's. Like, un-ironically.

Nazis do not have a problem with slavery or lording it over people with no power (like, say, young boys)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

Nah, just Snyder, who would like to work without being outwardly seen as politically wrongheaded

He's making The Fountainhead into a movie...does that sounds like somebody who doesn't want to be seen as politically wrongheaded to you?

Do you think somebody who made Sucker Punch which is "hot girls kicking rear end...HA! Gotcha! You are a dickhead for wanting to see hot girls kicking rear end! Look at what these gals have to put up with" wants to be popular?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nah, what really kicked it off was the "toxic masculinity" boilerplate that could have been lifted from a bad IO9 article.

Anyway it's done, back to discussing the Star Wars films.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

Real question, how is 300 homo erotic, other than ripped dudes being awesome? Or is that really all it takes?

Xerxes gets pretty handsy and lispy with Leonidas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Squadrons is phenomenal if you like space combat and better than it has any right to be.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

galagazombie posted:

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is definitely the best Star Wars game. It’s downright scary how well it fits. Han Solo, X-Wings, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, Fascist doomsday weapons that have to be flown inside to destroy, Napoleonic broadside capital ships. It’s all there.

Came back into this thread after months and months to see what's up and y'all are discussing Crimson Skies? A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one!

Crimson Skies really did come across as a Raiders x Star Wars hybrid, very cool stuff. "When you hit the ground, tell 'em Nathan Zachary sent ya!" was a great line.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Why can't they make these shows good? What happened? I was so excited!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Was there some outcry for Obi-Wan to use a blaster and get in gunfights that I didn't know about?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Too scared about the fans.

I'm a fan and I don't want this. This should have been an absolute slam dunk. It's very disheartening to realize that Book of Boba is probably the normal for these shows and Mando is the exception...obviously off not a lot of data there, but jeez. Botching this easy of a lay-up is a crime.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing that's killing me is the action. It's really bad. I blamed Rodriguez initially but I'll eat crow - it's clearly not his fault because it's even worse here and he's nowhere near this one. whoever they've got doing their choreography just isn't good at it. Geography, danger, and consistency all go out the window in these scenes and so nothing feels like it has any stakes or weight. It's absolutely crushed me. You can poo poo on Episode 1 all you like but that final lightsaber fight is a banger and that counts for a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

teagone posted:

There's a clear distinction between whatever random creatives are assigned to handle a Boba Fett/Obi-Wan series and Filoni showrunning a series about a character he created and basically has carte blanche over.

Boba Fett was written by Jon Favreau and executive produced by the Mando team IIRC. If that's true then there's clearly something else going on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Valve Steam Deck posted:

CG Leia was far more well done (well it's only 10 seconds) but somehow even creepier

It's so interesting that this was like 10 minutes before Deepfakes were a thing, so they were making 3d models of young/dead actors and mapping them over stand-ins. Sooooo much work. Soooo much harder than the AI training.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Prior to Disney, all Star Wars theatrical had been an auteur product. Their mistake was breaking that up. They needed to have one single source, and they didn't, they treated it just like one more IP to be mined for "content" and the results are playing out like they always do when the suits run the show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I thought Return of the Jedi ended the big "Star Wars narrative" pretty drat well. In fact one of the things that worked really well, in Mando, was the idea that even though the Empire as a Galaxy-wide threat was gone, there were still little pockets left that could cause big problems for people - but were small enough that a few groups of people who weren't mythic figures of legendary power could make a difference.

So you had the big theatrical experiences of telling a huge story, then you had the smaller shows doing smaller (in scope) stories. This is actually how Westerns worked, too - since they had the budget, the big Western movies could have these big sweeping narrative arcs and scenes where entire towns were blown up or shot to pieces (or a couple of guys get roped into the literal Civil War and blow up a bridge), while the shows (because of those same budget and scope concerns) would be about more mundane, but still dramatic, stories.

Aside from the editing and pacing and all the other stuff, Book of Boba felt very small to me. It wanted so badly to be epic. But Boba's Kingdom was a nightclub, the front room of Jabba's palace, and 2 streets in Mos Whatever.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 6, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KittyEmpress posted:

Feel free to hate me.

I'm sure that's exactly what you're going for to feel special and different but there were always a few kids on the playground who didn't like Star Wars so this is nothing new.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nQiiES9_I

Queen beat you to the punch by 45 years.

Haha that's true! I was always like "c'mon Freddy!" at that point but hey, you feel how you feel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I saw something wonderful today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One thing I very distinctly remember when Star Wars was rereleased in '97 is that when Vader first appeared it sounded like exactly half the audience boo'd and half the audience cheered at the same time (along with some scattered laughter afterwards).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

garycoleisgod posted:

Just have every movie villain insult a local sports team, that should work.

Don't talk to me about logistics and recording different dialogue for every area the movie plays in, they would get booed.

They actually do this for Marvel movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Randalor posted:

So Obi-Wan episode 4. It's the first episode so far that didn't feel drawn out, and had a few decent moments. The biggest weakness to the series is that there's no actual sense of tension when you threaten Obi-Wan or Leia because, well, it's a prequel series.

You're mostly right, but that's just a subset of the bigger problem which is that all of the dramatic and action scenes are staged incompetently so not only do you know the main characters are safe, it's boring to watch them keep themselves safe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean this sincerely: the Empire functions like what a six year old would imagine an evil empire would function like...if that same six year old did not want to kill any their "cool" characters.

I liked the concept of the Second Sister! I liked the actress! At this point she just seems like a dumb chump. Everyone seems like a dumb chump. The writing has let her down, man!

Edit: like, the problem with trying to smuggle a child out under a trenchcoat is that it makes you look like an idiot for trying it, and it makes your enemy seem like an idiot for falling for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 9, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Randalor posted:

The child mannequin in amber was hilarious though. "gently caress, we haven't met our quota of frozen people yet. Quick, run to the clothing store and grab a mannequin, no one will notice".

The fact that they treated this as some big reveal is absolutely insane. The secret of the Inquisition....which everyone already knew hunted and killed Jedi...is that they disrespect their corpses??!?!

It's hysterical that they left the kid's training helmet on. Like, they want you to know that they gently caress up little kids who can't fight back in their Hall of Victims. Imagine going to some drug dealer's mansion and there's all these rooms full of taxidermized dangerous animals and the last one is like, a toddler on a tricycle.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 9, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ingmar terdman posted:

Trenchcoat is fun who cares.

It's more of a sign that this show's dogshit writing and action have lost me to the point that this stuff is bothering me, honestly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got the correctly scaled snow speeder toy for Christmas when I was a kid and there is absolutely no way to stuff 3 action figures in the back. There was barely room for one! "Knowing about the Star Wars" is an active hindrance to understanding Obi-Wan.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Star Wars is at its best when the heroes are anything but competent" Really? REALLY? That's the excuse we're going with here?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"God I wish Luke missed that exhaust port and the Death Star blew entire Rebel Base was blown to smithereens, that would have been the series at its best!" said no one ever.

Also if you actually take this foolishness seriously then you end up dissing the Mandalorian, who is a very competent bounty hunter.

One of the setting's defining features is a magic force that makes you hyper-competent at stuff!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's really no equating blasting bridge controls, over-extending to a bad situation while chasing Storm Troopers, briefly forgetting a comm link to C3PO when being crushed in a garbage compactor, or marching into an Imperial detention center with no way out is in any way comparable with "I'm literally going to have a ten-year-old walk under an ill-fitting trenchcoat as an enormous lump that anyone over the age of two would spot immediately, yes I am adult and Jedi Master".

I really can't stress how inorganic and downright juvenile that scene was. There's messing up and then there's just being an utter imbecile.

Also gonna say that the OG Jedi Knight, while not having the juice graphics-wise, had some of the only live-action Star Wars footage you could find outside of Caravan of Courage during a real dry spell. That's probably my favorite. The Dark Side ending is appropriately tragic, too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They aren't rose-colored. It made a big impression on me, and I even said that it doesn't have it anymore. But keep in mind this is 10 years before Youtube. There were no fan-films. There was no Star Wars live action since...again...Caravan of Courage, 12 years prior. Phantom Menace was just a blip, with no teaser trailer or anything like that.

People liked the cutscenes at the time, despite their relatively poor quality. I checked a few contemporary reviews and none of them mentioned the cutscenes as a negative, so the idea there was a widespread panning of them is unsupported at first glance. And my own anecdotal experience was "drat we was starved for some Star Wars". You would have to be! Still I think there's some real charm there, and my appreciation of them is 100% unironic.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Jerec's gang of lumpy weirdos are cooler than the inquisitors. And the knights of ren

Yeah he's a real sleaze weirdo. The air licking thing is fine by me, it makes him gross. Sith should sometimes be gross and uncool.

Edit: more research and PC Gamer declared Jedi Knight the greatest computer game ever made in 1998! I wouldn't go that far guys.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, if I'm alone in this, I'll sit down and shut up. Because I feel like I'm alone in a crazy world right now.

Sounds to me like it just didn't land for you, which is fine. I'm sure you're not alone in that.